North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
+27790324557 MEET A PROFESSIONA PSYCHIC, SPIRITUAL HEALER ON28/12/23, 07:07 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557STRONG LOVE SPELLS FOR RELATIONSHIPS AND LOVE WH28/12/23, 06:58 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557WE ARE THE ILLUMINATI, REGISTER AS A NEW MEMBER 28/12/23, 06:53 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557THIS IS THE ILLUMINATI JOINING POINT 28/12/23, 06:46 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557 THE REAL ILLUMINATI WHATSAPP NO TO CONTACT US28/12/23, 06:37 amkawayidamirrows
THE REAL ILLUMINATI WHATSAPP NO TO CONTACT US ONLINE IS+277928/12/23, 06:28 amkawayidamirrows
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

SMU Movement - Brent Irwin Named Assistant Men's Coach Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Kewb11

Our users have posted a total of 205165 messages in 31955 subjects

SMU Movement - Brent Irwin Named Assistant Men's Coach

Go down

SMU Movement - Brent Irwin Named Assistant Men's Coach Empty SMU Movement - Brent Irwin Named Assistant Men's Coach

Post by MaggieMaggie 02/05/12, 09:49 pm

Brent Irwin moving to assistant SMU men's coaching position. SMU starting a nationwide search for a new women's coach. Any info or "informed" opinions? Talk amongst yourselves?
MaggieMaggie
MaggieMaggie
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

SMU Movement - Brent Irwin Named Assistant Men's Coach Empty Re: SMU Movement - Brent Irwin Named Assistant Men's Coach

Post by Uncle Numanga 03/05/12, 06:14 am

I couldn't get anyone to post about this when I started this same thread last week. I guess no one cares about SMU.
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

SMU Movement - Brent Irwin Named Assistant Men's Coach Empty Re: SMU Movement - Brent Irwin Named Assistant Men's Coach

Post by MaggieMaggie 03/05/12, 06:39 am

Uncle Numanga wrote:I couldn't get anyone to post about this when I started this same thread last week. I guess no one cares about SMU.

Guess not. But I think 3 95s off the Texas have committments? Debated whether to add to yours or go rouge on a post. With all the conf mvmt coming up too, wonder if there might be more coaching mvnt? I know Northwestern's long standing coach left and VanLinder's there now. The keeper coach at S. Mississippi may be leaving and I think they are leaving Conf USA? I think Houston Baptist and Oral Robert are moving into the Southland Conf Don't know if all this movement is normal or not, but seems like a lot recently.
MaggieMaggie
MaggieMaggie
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSoccer 03/05/12, 05:44 pm

my guess would be Chris P formerly of Texas and Solca as his asstant .. is Brent being moved out for legal purposes, wasn't there some funny business there a couple yrs ago?
DrSoccer
DrSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by MaggieMaggie 03/05/12, 08:27 pm

DrSoccer wrote:my guess would be Chris P formerly of Texas and Solca as his asstant .. is Brent being moved out for legal purposes, wasn't there some funny business there a couple yrs ago?

I think you may be talking about Emily Haiston suing SMU/Brent for fraudulent inducement? This was around May 2010. She alleged she left Highland Park HS early based on a verbal on a full scholarship and financial aid package that eventually only came to $17k. She was then asked to come up the with balance of the approximately $50k it cost to go to SMU for the year in 2010. Brent also allegedly sent her e-mails asking her to bring certain other potential plays over to SMU. The emails would have been an NCAA violation. I don't know if they exiist, if they were ever produced or what they exactly said ... but never heard of any action on them from the NCAA? Hairston further alleged there were other girls who were given verbals that didn't happen.

While unsavory if it did happen as Hairston alleges, and a bad practice, verbals get changed all the time. Scholarships are often reviewed and renewed annually. Full rides are very unusual. When questioned, her dad said this all happened between his DD and Brent. He trusted her (mind you, high school student) to fill out the paperwork and a full ride to SMU would happen.

Just look at what recently happened at TCU. At least 1 95 walked and is now committed to Baylor. Also, for what its worth, I know of 2 SMU situations with hurt girls who did not get their scholarships revoked. One girl can even no long play soccer. She went over to sports training. Still around soccer but just can't play anymore. The other girl has/had a hurt knee.

If anyone has more recent or detailed info on what happened, update appreciated.
MaggieMaggie
MaggieMaggie
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Frogfan1 03/05/12, 09:39 pm

MaggieMaggie wrote:
DrSoccer wrote:my guess would be Chris P formerly of Texas and Solca as his asstant .. is Brent being moved out for legal purposes, wasn't there some funny business there a couple yrs ago?

I think you may be talking about Emily Haiston suing SMU/Brent for fraudulent inducement? This was around May 2010. She alleged she left Highland Park HS early based on a verbal on a full scholarship and financial aid package that eventually only came to $17k. She was then asked to come up the with balance of the approximately $50k it cost to go to SMU for the year in 2010. Brent also allegedly sent her e-mails asking her to bring certain other potential plays over to SMU. The emails would have been an NCAA violation. I don't know if they exiist, if they were ever produced or what they exactly said ... but never heard of any action on them from the NCAA? Hairston further alleged there were other girls who were given verbals that didn't happen.

While unsavory if it did happen as Hairston alleges, and a bad practice, verbals get changed all the time. Scholarships are often reviewed and renewed annually. Full rides are very unusual. When questioned, her dad said this all happened between his DD and Brent. He trusted her (mind you, high school student) to fill out the paperwork and a full ride to SMU would happen.

Just look at what recently happened at TCU. At least 1 95 walked and is now committed to Baylor. Also, for what its worth, I know of 2 SMU situations with hurt girls who did not get their scholarships revoked. One girl can even no long play soccer. She went over to sports training. Still around soccer but just can't play anymore. The other girl has/had a hurt knee.

If anyone has more recent or detailed info on what happened, update appreciated.

Maggie the TCU situation you talk about was nothing illegal. It was just a HS girl switching her VERBAL commitment because of a coaching change. It has no comparison to the SMU issue.
Frogfan1
Frogfan1
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MaggieMaggie 03/05/12, 10:55 pm

Frogfan1 wrote:
MaggieMaggie wrote:

I think you may be talking about Emily Haiston suing SMU/Brent for fraudulent inducement? This was around May 2010. She alleged she left Highland Park HS early based on a verbal on a full scholarship and financial aid package that eventually only came to $17k. She was then asked to come up the with balance of the approximately $50k it cost to go to SMU for the year in 2010. Brent also allegedly sent her e-mails asking her to bring certain other potential plays over to SMU. The emails would have been an NCAA violation. I don't know if the emails exist, if they were ever produced or what they exactly said ... but never heard of any action on them from the NCAA? Hairston further alleged there were other girls who were given verbals that didn't happen.

Maggie the TCU situation you talk about was nothing illegal. It was just a HS girl switching her VERBAL commitment because of a coaching change. It has no comparison to the SMU issue.

You are correct. There was/is nothing illigal at TCU. Not what I said. But, the new coaches came in and there were some change up on the verbals. Those who didn't like the changes left. All appropriate and legal. Supposedly Northwestern left all standing offers as is, which is not always the case with a change in leadership. A few years ago someone advised me your dd should make sure she loves the school. Go with the school and not the coach. While I don't totally agree with this advise, the recent changes across many colleges does support the thought you should at least think about life at your chosen school if there is a different coaching staff and financial situation.
MaggieMaggie
MaggieMaggie
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSoccer 04/05/12, 07:56 am

The NCAA has no clear rule on it but encourages athletic departments to honor the scholarship of a student athlete forced to retire, through a waiver known as a "medical non-counter." That is, the injured player's scholarship does not count against his sport's scholarship limit.

It is up to the individual school to make the decision whether to absorb the cost of what becomes an extra scholarship for the injured player. Most major athletic departments with the available resources do it regularly, but not every one.

btw what do the smu players think of the new coaches? And are any of them sad to see BE go?
DrSoccer
DrSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by MaggieMaggie 26/05/12, 12:49 pm

Told 2 strong candidates but no additional info:
Head Coach, Women’s Soccer (#900159)
POSTED: May 11
Salary: Open
Employer: Southern Methodist University
Type: Full-time - Experienced
Categories: Coaching, Coaching - Basketball (sic - this is on the job posting?)
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
Employer Information
About Southern Methodist University
SMU is a private university that employs 2,000 staff and faculty to support the more than 11,000 students. SMU’s tree lined campus is just five miles north of downtown Dallas and offers a unique workplace environment, including historic Georgian architecture buildings, beautiful lawns, landscaped gardens and an exciting campus community. The range of career opportunities at SMU is as diverse as the SMU community. SMU seeks to attract, develop and retain the highest quality faculty, staff a....more info
View all our jobs
Job description

The Women’s Soccer Head Coach will assist in the development of the Women’s Soccer Program toward a Top 25 team nationally while giving every student-athlete a positive experience at SMU. Primary duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to: • manage overall operation of the women’s soccer program, including administration, team travel, personnel management and budget management; • teach, coach, evaluate and recruit student-athletes, as well as manage the recruitment of student athletes that are consistent with the mission and goals set forth by the university; • manage all aspects of practice, games and player development; • active in all areas of fundraising; • monitor academic progress of student-athletes; • NCAA compliance; manage team travel arrangements and administrative duties; • serve as liaison with sponsors, the Athletics Department and Southern Methodist University.

Requirements

Bachelor’s degree is required. Masters preferred.
A minimum of five years of Division 1 collegiate women’s coaching experience is required. Head coaching experience, especially Division I women’s is strongly preferred. USSF coaching staff experience and “A” license is a plus.

• Candidate must demonstrate strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to build relationships with a wide range of constituencies. • Must also demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in writing. • A strong customer service orientation is essential. • Candidate must possess strong problem solving and decision making skills. • Must also possess strong organizational skills. • Strong leadership and management skills with the ability to motivate a team are essential. • Candidate must demonstrate a strong understanding of and adhere to all rules and regulations of the National Collegiate Athletic Association and the Conference and SMU relative to the position. • Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office and Outlook are essential. • Knowledge of NCAA rules is a plus.

Priority consideration may be given to submissions received by April 14, 2012. DEADLINE TO APPLY: May 21, 2012.

To Apply: Please visit our website http://smu.edu/hr/recruit/ to access the online application. Click on “Career Opportunities” and apply to Job ID# 900159

Southern Methodist University will not discriminate in any employment practice, education program, or educational activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or veteran status. SMU's commitment to equal opportunity includes non-discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
MaggieMaggie
MaggieMaggie
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

SMU Movement - Brent Irwin Named Assistant Men's Coach Empty Chris Petrucelli Named SMU Women's Soccer Head Coach

Post by MaggieMaggie 02/06/12, 09:35 am

Chris Petrucelli Named Women's Soccer Head Coach

by PonyPride » Thu May 31, 2012 10:14 am

From SMUMustangs.com:

Two-Time National Coach Of The Year Chris Petrucelli Named Women's Soccer Head CoachNational-Championship Coach Comes To The Hilltop

May 31, 2012

DALLAS (SMU) - Two-time National Coach of the Year and 1995 NCAA Championship Coach Chris Petrucelli has been named SMU’s Head Women’s Soccer Coach, Interim Director of Athletics Tim Leonard announced today. A veteran of 20-plus years as a head coach, Petrucelli was named the NSCAA National Coach of the Year in both 1994 and 1995 and was lauded as the NSCAA Central Region Coach of the Year in both 2002 and 2006. In 22 years as a head coach, Petrucelli has compiled a 340-110-36 record. His career win total and winning percentage (.737) both rank eighth among active Division I coaches.

“We are very excited to bring Chris on to lead our women’s soccer program,” said Leonard. “He is one of the top coaches in the nation and we know he can lead our program back to national prominence.”

The six-time conference coach of the year comes to the Hilltop after spending the last 13 seasons as head coach of the Texas women’s soccer program where he compiled a 165-88-26 mark and signed some of the nation’s top recruiting classes. Under his tutelage, Texas captured back-to-back Big 12 postseason titles (2006-07) and the program's first Big 12 regular season title in 2001. He guided the Longhorns to 10 NCAA Tournament appearances (2001-08, 2010-11), including runs to the third round (round of 16) in 2004, 2006 and 2007.

“I’m excited to be a part of such a fine university,” said Petrucelli. “SMU’s Athletic Department has shown a great commitment to soccer over a long period of time and I know SMU will be a great place for me and my family.”

Petrucelli joins Larry Brown, Steve Collins, Josh Gregory, June Jones and Jim Stillson as former national coaches of the year on the Hilltop.

Prior to heading to UT, Petrucelli constructed the Notre Dame women’s soccer program into one of the nation's best. He guided the Fighting Irish for nine years (1990-98) and was honored by the NSCAA as the National Coach of the Year in both 1994 and 1995 en route to becoming the only collegiate coach to win the award in consecutive years. During his tenure with Notre Dame, he led the Irish to the 1995 NCAA National Championship, three National Championship title matches (1994-96) and six NCAA Tournament appearances. This included four consecutive national semifinal berths from 1994-97, and eight-straight conference championships. Prior to being honored as the 1996 Big East Coach of the Year and leading the Irish to Big East crowns during each of his four seasons in the conference, Petrucelli was named the Midwest Collegiate Conference (MCC) Coach of the Year in each of Notre Dame's four years within that league, as he guided the Irish to MCC titles every year and never lost a league match.

A standout teacher of the game, Petrucelli has not only produced championship-caliber teams, but has also developed some of the nation's top soccer talent as well. He has coached one NSCAA National Player of the Year as well as players who have earned 30 NSCAA All-America honors, 69 All-Region accolades, seven conference Player of the Year awards, eight Conference Rookies of the Year honors and over 100 All-Conference decorations.

Besides working with his programs, Petrucelli has served as chair of the NCAA Division I Soccer Rules Committee; been active in the NSCAA; served as a member of NSCAA Coaching Academy staff while sponsoring workshops for other coaches at the convention; and has been a member of the United States Soccer Federation Region I Olympic Development Program staff for boys as well as the Region II staff for girls. In addition, Petrucelli was also the head coach for the United States Olympic Festival in both 1994 and 1995, served as the head coach of the U.S. Under-21 Women's National Team during the summers of 2003 and 2004, and has worked as the Under-16 girls Region II ODP head coach. Of note, he led the Under-21 National Team to back-to-back Nordic Cup titles in 2003 and 2004.

During his playing career, Petrucelli helped UNC-Greensboro capture a pair of NCAA Division III titles in 1982 and 1983 and was named the team's captain as a senior. After earning his degree in business administration in 1984, he spent a year as a graduate assistant at Old Dominion where he then became one of ODU's full-time assistant coaches in 1986.

A native of Orange, N.J., Petrucelli and his wife, Eve, are the parents of daughter Gabrielle and sons Nicholas and Andrew.

Coaching Highlights
· NSCAA National Coach of the Year - 1994, 1995
· NSCAA Central Region Coach of the Year - 2002, 2006
· Conference Coach of the Year - 1991-94, 1996, 2001
· U.S. U-21 National Coach - 2003, 2004
· National Titles - 1995 (Notre Dame)
· Conference Titles - MCC (4), Big East (4), Big 12 (2)
· NCAA Tournament Appearances (16) - 1993-98, 2001-08, 2010-11
· Ranks No. 8 in victories among active Division I women's soccer coaches (340)
· Ranks No. 8 in winning percentage among active Division I women's soccer coaches (.737)
· Hermann Trophy winner (1) – Cindy Daws (’96)
· Missouri Athletic Club Player of the Year (1) – Cindy Daws (’96)
· NSCAA National Player of the Year (1) – Jen Renola ('96)
· NSCAA All-Americans (16 receiving/30 honors); Texas (5/7), Notre Dame (11/23)
· NSCAA All-Region Players (26 receiving/69 honors); Texas (12/37), Notre Dame (14/32)
· All-Conference Players (47 receiving /103 honors); Texas (25/46), Notre Dame (22/57)
· Conference Players of the Year - Texas (1), Notre Dame (6)
· Conference Rookies of the Year - Texas (3), Notre Dame (5)

PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
— New York Times

www.facebook.com/PonyFans
MaggieMaggie
MaggieMaggie
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 03/06/12, 05:14 pm

Good news for the Ponies. SMU has been on a tear lately when it comes to head coach hirings -- despite the recent "resignation" of the AD.

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down