North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Play up or not? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Yuna

Our users have posted a total of 205174 messages in 31963 subjects

Play up or not?

Go down

Play up or not? Empty Play up or not?

Post by boilerjoe_96 02/05/12, 10:15 pm

Seeking opinions....

First time soccer dad, 07 daughter (U5) has 4 seasons, 2 years of Rec under belt in Allen. 07 teams are starting to form, but had an offer to join an 06 team at the club we have been attending open skills night since Jan...She certainly holds her own with the 06s on the team during 3v3 scrimmages. So play U7 instead of U6 in the fall?

I realize a lot depends on the girl. My daughter dominates the rec league in Allen. I realize ASA is a small pond compared to PSA. So a bit worried as to what we will run up against. So there in lies the question. Either way she will play in Plano next year(not sure what division if there are divisions). She is amazingly dedicated at such a young age, she wants to play all the time, works hard and has become very skilled for being 5. I don't want to push too hard, but want to give her every opportunity to be the best she can be.

So... I am all ears... Nearly all of you have already been through the young years of soccer. Given this brief summary, what would you do with your daughter?
boilerjoe_96
boilerjoe_96
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Play up or not? Empty Re: Play up or not?

Post by Bicycle Guru-NOT 03/05/12, 01:03 am

Once you get to U-11, the 1st yr she can play select, she will not be allowed to play up. League rules state all players must play 1st year of select at appropriate age level. Can play up going into 2nd year. All that said if she plays up now, then in a few years when her team goes into select she will not be able to stay with them. Just something to consider.

Something else to consider. The difference between rec and select is huge. Almost every player in D1, D2, and even D3 were super stars in rec, tearing up the competition every Saturday. This is why they went select.
Bicycle Guru-NOT
Bicycle Guru-NOT
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ralfdallas 03/05/12, 01:23 am

If this is her first experience w/academy soccer I would recommend playing at age her first season. If she shines really, really bright at-age in a competitive academy league, there will be plenty of time to play 'up' in academy for an '07 before moving to a group her own age at U10.

ralfdallas
ralfdallas
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 03/05/12, 08:08 am

Does your DD like all the girls on the '06 team you described? If she really likes the girls there, and this is where you know you want to stay, and the coach is emphatic that she can handle it, and you have the money... then do it. If not, on any of those four things, then you may want to experiment with playing up on a good Rec team first or try to find a good '07-pure academy team that she can grow with over the long term. She’s more likely to make and keep friends on a pure ’07 squad.

More '07 teams will begin to appear shortly. Her options will expand soon enough. There's nothing wrong with being patient. With her enthusiasm at a high, you want to build on that. You don't want to put her into a situation that will burn her out. And burn out can happen very quickly at the youngest ages.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by textigerfan 03/05/12, 08:34 am

Listen to what your daughter wants. Be honest with her and let her decide if practical. You have a long time before you have to worry about scholarships, etc, so long term goals should not really be that important at that age. Just keep it fun so she does not quit.
textigerfan
textigerfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico_Passe 03/05/12, 09:51 am

If you see soccer in your daughter's future, then you are talking years of year-round dedication and hard work. I have three children, two in select soccer and one in select baseball, and they shine within their age group and have never played up, which I think is a good thing! Being successful, especially at a young age, builds confidence and love for the game--which I think at your ddaughter's age, is paramount. I agree with most of the posters here that there is time to play up, if you see a need for it after her first year. No need to increase the "pressure" of select soccer too soon--that will inevitably and undeniably be present any way--just the nature of the beast.
Rico_Passe
Rico_Passe
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by USA203 03/05/12, 10:07 am

My 2 cents, keep her in her own age group if possible. However, do so only if the team you are considering is teaching really good skills. It's all about the skills. Games are fine but, personally, I think the key thing is what she is getting from practices and that she likes the coach/other girls so she'll be excited about going to practice.

USA203
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico_Passe 03/05/12, 10:09 am

USA203 wrote:My 2 cents, keep her in her own age group if possible. However, do so only if the team you are considering is teaching really good skills. It's all about the skills. Games are fine but, personally, I think the key thing is what she is getting from practices and that she likes the coach/other girls so she'll be excited about going to practice.

Here! Here! No truer thing has ever been spoken: it IS all about the skills...
Rico_Passe
Rico_Passe
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by boilerjoe_96 03/05/12, 11:55 am

It looks like an age group team and acceptable coach are coming together... The open skills club really wants her, but I think I will turn them down.. 2 of her current teammates are going with the age group team and she knows 1 or 2 other girls...

Thus the concensus appears to be keep her on an 07 team. Pretty overwhelming to do that... with everything coming together that's what we will most likely do....

I appreciate the input. Thanks!

Last edited by boilerjoe_96 on 03/05/12, 01:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : just missed a couple words...)
boilerjoe_96
boilerjoe_96
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 03/05/12, 01:41 pm

As someone mentioned earlier, most of the Div I and Div II kids were all-stars in rec at 5 or 6. My daughter left rec at 6 and after moving to the Academy and then to Select I have seen NO reason to have her play up in age. Soccer in NTX is tough enough on the kids without having to play up an age. If you're playing up you're talking about a 1 1/2 to 2 year age difference. Also, you have to consider select soccer is a lot faster and more physical than rec.

I would recommend like everyone else take baby steps. You can really crush a kid by having them play up with they're not ready.

Good luck
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaqen H 03/05/12, 02:13 pm

Late to chime in here, but a differing opinion than the majority -

I say let her play up if:
a. she is successfully competing against the older girls
b. she is 'emotionally' mature enough to make good friends with girls a year older than her
c. its what she wants to do.

I was in your shoes just over 2 years ago with my 05DD - we went with an '04 team mainly because good '05 options were pretty non-existent and she had already proven herself against '04 rec competition for 3 seasons, knew 1 girl already on the team, and she felt comfortable with the coach. With regard to soccer skills, she has thrived. Further, she has made long lasting friends, I would say even better than her friends at school and enjoys the tougher competition that her teammates provide vs. the few times we have explored options and tried out various 'top' '05 teams. (Yes I do recommend checking out younger teams from time to time, never hurts to see where your DD stacks up when the time comes that you want or need to move her down)

The only potential drawbacks I see are:

1. you are going to have to pull her down at some point anyway when select time comes (assuming that's where you are headed)
2. she gets frustrated that she can't compete with the older girls and starts to lose interest

#1 stinks no doubt, but I would guess the majority of girls end up their academy/select careers playing with multiple teams and coaches anyway.
#2 is your job as the parent to monitor. If she isn't competitive on the '06 team or with any team for that matter, you need to move her and find a coach and team that matches her skill set. This is true for any parent not just for those that play up.

My opinion, concentrate on finding the right coach, team skill, and group of friendly girls that are a match for your DD, if that's playing up with the 06's, so be it - go for it.

Jaqen H
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 03/05/12, 02:24 pm

Play with your high school graduating class.
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by GuessillKeeper 03/05/12, 02:41 pm

Bicycle Guru-NOT wrote:Once you get to U-11, the 1st yr she can play select, she will not be allowed to play up. League rules state all players must play 1st year of select at appropriate age level. Can play up going into 2nd year. All that said if she plays up now, then in a few years when her team goes into select she will not be able to stay with them. Just something to consider.

Something else to consider. The difference between rec and select is huge. Almost every player in D1, D2, and even D3 were super stars in rec, tearing up the competition every Saturday. This is why they went select.

Don't think this is true - had a dd that played up (U12) when she was U11. Don't think you can play up when you are academy age (U10) on a select team, though. For those of you in the know with rules, please correct me if I'm wrong on this...

Just be prepared that the team you play up with will have girls that are not only physically more mature, but emotionally more mature as well. If you have a daughter with a late birthday, that means some of the girls she will play with could be almost 2 years older. This can make a big difference when it comes to making friends on the team.
GuessillKeeper
GuessillKeeper
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 03/05/12, 02:58 pm

Unless they've changed the rule, a U11 player can play U12 first year of competitive. What they cannot do is play U11 competitive as a U10.
Gunner9
Gunner9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico_Passe 03/05/12, 03:01 pm

GuessillKeeper wrote:
Bicycle Guru-NOT wrote:Once you get to U-11, the 1st yr she can play select, she will not be allowed to play up. League rules state all players must play 1st year of select at appropriate age level. Can play up going into 2nd year. All that said if she plays up now, then in a few years when her team goes into select she will not be able to stay with them. Just something to consider.

Don't think this is true - had a dd that played up (U12) when she was U11. Don't think you can play up when you are academy age (U10) on a select team, though. For those of you in the know with rules, please correct me if I'm wrong on this...

Just be prepared that the team you play up with will have girls that are not only physically more mature, but emotionally more mature as well. If you have a daughter with a late birthday, that means some of the girls she will play with could be almost 2 years older. This can make a big difference when it comes to making friends on the team.
And I think this is exactly what guru said. You can't be an academy age player and play up to select, so essentially, this little U5 player that we are discussing here would be stopped in her "playing up" tracks once she was of U10 age and trying to play U11, first year of select. But I think you ARE CORRECT in saying after that initial first year (U11) and you become of official select age, I believe that playing up may be permitted. scratch Maybe the masses of soccer intelligence out there will correct us if we are wrong. Wink
Rico_Passe
Rico_Passe
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Play up or not? Empty Can be good and bad for the DD

Post by 2ddsinsoccer 03/05/12, 03:06 pm

You all are correct and while playing up worked very well for my 03 DD who played with 01's until the Fall before they went Select. It didn't quite work out so well for my 98 who played up her 1st year of Select. Boilerjoe, I sent you a PM.
2ddsinsoccer
2ddsinsoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaqen H 03/05/12, 03:10 pm

on_the_pitch wrote:
GuessillKeeper wrote:

And I think this is exactly what guru said. You can't be an academy age player and play up to select, so essentially, this little U5 player that we are discussing here would be stopped in her "playing up" tracks once she was of U10 age and trying to play U11, first year of select. But I think you ARE CORRECT in saying after that initial first year (U11) and you become of official select age, I believe that playing up may be permitted. scratch Maybe the masses of soccer intelligence out there will correct us if we are wrong. Wink

You are correct. The year the 06 team in this scenario goes to select, the '07 DD will have to play '07. The following year she can play up again. That said, 5 years in academy is an eternity - worrying about select at this point is putting the cart WAY before the horse IMHO.

Jaqen H
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 04/05/12, 06:54 am

boilerjoe_96 wrote:Seeking opinions....

First time soccer dad, 07 daughter (U5) has 4 seasons, 2 years of Rec under belt in Allen. 07 teams are starting to form, but had an offer to join an 06 team at the club we have been attending open skills night since Jan...She certainly holds her own with the 06s on the team during 3v3 scrimmages. So play U7 instead of U6 in the fall?

I realize a lot depends on the girl. My daughter dominates the rec league in Allen. I realize ASA is a small pond compared to PSA. So a bit worried as to what we will run up against. So there in lies the question. Either way she will play in Plano next year(not sure what division if there are divisions). She is amazingly dedicated at such a young age, she wants to play all the time, works hard and has become very skilled for being 5. I don't want to push too hard, but want to give her every opportunity to be the best she can be.

So... I am all ears... Nearly all of you have already been through the young years of soccer. Given this brief summary, what would you do with your daughter?

Always remember this. She needs three things, and she'll never need more: excellent instruction, quality touches on the ball, and to have fun. And without that last one, the first two are meaningless.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweeper 04/05/12, 07:47 am

ZenFutbol wrote:
boilerjoe_96 wrote:Seeking opinions....

Always remember this. She needs three things, and she'll never need more: excellent instruction, quality touches on the ball, and to have fun. And without that last one, the first two are meaningless.

This couldn't be more true. Everything else is for you, not her.
Sweeper
Sweeper
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down