North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
+27790324557 MEET A PROFESSIONA PSYCHIC, SPIRITUAL HEALER ON28/12/23, 07:07 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557STRONG LOVE SPELLS FOR RELATIONSHIPS AND LOVE WH28/12/23, 06:58 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557WE ARE THE ILLUMINATI, REGISTER AS A NEW MEMBER 28/12/23, 06:53 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557THIS IS THE ILLUMINATI JOINING POINT 28/12/23, 06:46 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557 THE REAL ILLUMINATI WHATSAPP NO TO CONTACT US28/12/23, 06:37 amkawayidamirrows
THE REAL ILLUMINATI WHATSAPP NO TO CONTACT US ONLINE IS+277928/12/23, 06:28 amkawayidamirrows
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

NBC Rock Center -- Girls Soccer Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Kewb11

Our users have posted a total of 205165 messages in 31955 subjects

NBC Rock Center -- Girls Soccer

Go down

NBC Rock Center -- Girls Soccer Empty NBC Rock Center -- Girls Soccer

Post by txtransplant 09/05/12, 10:01 am

Tonight's episode of Rock Center with Brian Williams focuses on the growing concussion rates in girls soccer. It airs on NBC at 8pm.

Here's a preview link if interested.

http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/

One doctor interviewed stated girls are reporting nearly twice the number of concussions than boys in the same age range.
txtransplant
txtransplant
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

NBC Rock Center -- Girls Soccer Empty Re: NBC Rock Center -- Girls Soccer

Post by TNT 09/05/12, 10:43 am

I wish the league would mandate the protective headgear, I am kind of shocked that they have not.

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby427 09/05/12, 11:30 am

TNT wrote:I wish the league would mandate the protective headgear, I am kind of shocked that they have not.

I can see headgear for young children in indoor, but honestly, headgear will increase injuries.

Adding harder headgear to football actualy increased the level of violent play because players felt "safe" enough to increase the speed and force of their hits with no regard for their "protected" heads.

You just won't see the same kinds of hits in rudgby as players are simply not as protected so they limit the play to a certain extent.

Can you imagine how much more insane it would get in north texas soccer if they added headgear or other pads?

Shelby427
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09/05/12, 12:04 pm

Shelby427 wrote:
TNT wrote:I wish the league would mandate the protective headgear, I am kind of shocked that they have not.

I can see headgear for young children in indoor, but honestly, headgear will increase injuries.

Adding harder headgear to football actualy increased the level of violent play because players felt "safe" enough to increase the speed and force of their hits with no regard for their "protected" heads.

You just won't see the same kinds of hits in rudgby as players are simply not as protected so they limit the play to a certain extent.
Can you imagine how much more insane it would get in north texas soccer if they added headgear or other pads?

@Shelby... you a rugger? You nailed it man. I played rugby back in the day and you dont see this type of injury. There are injuries, I can attest to that, but not of this nature at the rate it happens in other sports.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09/05/12, 12:58 pm

I really believe it is a matter of teaching proper heading techniques and penalizing reckless play!

Back to top Go down

Post by badcramp 09/05/12, 01:40 pm

referees need to call tighter games and be more punitive. The girls game is more pushing and knocking over where the boys game is about the speed of play and skill.

badcramp
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09/05/12, 01:55 pm

Although , I dont think we can place all the blame on the referees. The women's game is ever changing and I believe it to be more important than ever to teach women players to play with the the ball above the waist. I know studies show that women heading the ball to much at a younger age is frowned upon, as it should be, but to protect players this should be taught!

Back to top Go down

Post by txtransplant 09/05/12, 02:04 pm

I know most people complain and elbows, pushing and shoving, but in the last 15 months my DD has played soccer in NTx, I consider the epidemic high kicking problem in girls soccer to be far worse.

Refs need to call it not only for the safety of the players defending the one committing the penalty, but the player committing the infraction as well.

I've seen girls in the middle of a pack, their kicking foot well about their waist, sometimes shoulder high to those around them. They've shifted their center of gravity, placed themselves in an unbalanced position, making it easier to be knocked down to the ground and banging their head.

One of my DD's teammates received a concussion in this matter. The ref penalized her opponent for knocking her to the ground, but the girl was off balanced to begin with.
txtransplant
txtransplant
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 96soccermom 09/05/12, 05:10 pm

It's scary to me as I see a good friend of my dd who is lying in the ICU with a brain injury from a game at State cup this past weekend. While that injury is on the extreme side it sure makes you think about what could happen.

I'll be interested in watching tonights show.

96soccermom
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AbEnd 10/05/12, 09:35 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/47364208#47364208

Here's the link to the actual segment.

AbEnd
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by txtransplant 10/05/12, 11:13 am

After watching the segment, I began to wonder about the coach of those girls. So many with multiple concussions on the same squad? And the threats of being benched or removed from the squad for not heading the ball? I'd love to know under what circumstances the coach feels headers are an absolute requirement. That makes zero sense.

I'd like to know if those girls are capable of controlling and/or redirecting the ball to a teammate or into the net with a header or if they're essentially playing header pinball. In which case, the player would be far better off trapping the ball, knocking it to their feet and playing it out.
txtransplant
txtransplant
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/05/12, 12:03 pm

Anyone have a DD using protective headgear? I realize some studies suggest it may not lessen the frequency of a concussion, but it can't hurt.

Any testimonials on avoided injuries, increased player confidence, comfort factor, etc?

Full90 seems to be the best option - recommendations?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/05/12, 12:08 pm

I am not a dr. It seems the head gear will only protect you from a laceration or bruise! The impact and the brain movement is what causes the actual concussion.

Back to top Go down

Post by 98_01_03_05_Dad 10/05/12, 12:14 pm

The segment mentioned lack of neck strength as a contributing factor. Head gear will only make a weak neck weaker with the added weight on the head. Head gear won't reduce concussions, but better training and neck strengthening will help.

The biggest thing I took away from the show was to know the signs of a concussion, stop playing right away, and let it heal 100% before playing again.

98_01_03_05_Dad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by h_seldon 10/05/12, 12:22 pm

totalsoccer wrote:I am not a dr. It seems the head gear will only protect you from a laceration or bruise! The impact and the brain movement is what causes the actual concussion.

The foam will absorb some of the impact energy, and any reduction will help. I was surprised they were not even mentioned in the segment. We were also shocked that the blond girl that is still playing after multiples was not wearing one.
h_seldon
h_seldon
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AbEnd 10/05/12, 02:33 pm

h_seldon wrote:
totalsoccer wrote:I am not a dr. It seems the head gear will only protect you from a laceration or bruise! The impact and the brain movement is what causes the actual concussion.

The foam will absorb some of the impact energy, and any reduction will help. I was surprised they were not even mentioned in the segment. We were also shocked that the blond girl that is still playing after multiples was not wearing one.

My '99 dd wears the F90 headgear after suffering a concussion last year at Chinn Chapel. (She was knocked backwards and slammed the back of her head against the ground.) Once she fitted the headgear correctly (lots of velco straps to play with) she has no problems directing the ball with her head.

The foam headgear provides some protection (the mfg claims 50% reduction in impact force) but not enough that dd think she's invincible. The headgear has protected her from stray elbows and noggins so she willing to wear it.

AbEnd
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/05/12, 05:07 pm

There is a definite risk anytime fast-playing, highly-competitive girls mix it up, but I agree with other posters who've suggested proper instruction and tightly-called games will reduce that risk. And allowing anyone back on the pitch before they're fully healed is reckless & irresponsible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 10/05/12, 05:15 pm

Did anyone watch the level of play on the team highlighted? It looked more like rugby than soccer. This was one extremely unlucky rec team.
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by TNT 10/05/12, 06:46 pm

I dont think we can count on tight called games by the ref, and the soccer on the film looked terrible, even the lack of skills when just passing the ball.

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down