North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTXYesterday at 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

A question about rec and select transfers Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Yuna

Our users have posted a total of 205174 messages in 31963 subjects

A question about rec and select transfers

Go down

A question about rec and select transfers Empty A question about rec and select transfers

Post by Blank77 14/06/12, 10:02 pm

My DD is going in to her 2nd year of select soccer and seems dead set against playing select. She is a solid LHGCL D1 player, but just wants to do some other things. I figure at 11 that this is time to figure this stuff out and I am not going to force her to do soccer. I was wondering if I signed her up in rec (so she would at least still touch a ball on occasion) and halfway through the fall season she decides she misses the competition, can she jump from her rec team to a select team? Does the rec coach have to agree. Basically, can she go up at any time, or does she have to wait until the break?

OK, second scenario. What if she joins a low level team, lets say a PPL Div 2, and decides she wants to move back to lhgcl. If the PPL coach signs off, can she get a full release and sign with a more competitive team in the middle of the fall, or would she have to wait until the winter break?

If she went with a club team that has multiple teams at multiple levels, could she join a lower team and transfer up if she decides to return her focus to soccer?

Anyone information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Blank77
Blank77
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

A question about rec and select transfers Empty Re: A question about rec and select transfers

Post by Itsme 14/06/12, 10:14 pm

Suggest you call Rhonda at NTSSA to get it straight from the source to be certain.

But....

I believe everything you are asking about is possible with her current (Rec or Select) coach's signature on the relevant document.

Itsme
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

A question about rec and select transfers Empty Re: A question about rec and select transfers

Post by upper95 15/06/12, 01:14 am

Moving from rec to competitive soccer
Home association (not coach) may sign off on transfer to a competitive team "during the break" from Dec 1 to March 15.

Moving from a select team to another
To go to another competitive team, you must get a release AND a transfer approval from the coach at any time before April 1. This rarely happens and certainly won't without paying up a full year's dues and possibly bribery. The coach is under no obligation to allow this. Keep in mind that club soccer is a business and a coach will not give up income (what happens if you don't pay)or his best player (team success keeps him in business).

Yes, you could sign with a Plano team of a big club with teams in Classic D1/D2 - intra-club transfers in the best interest of the club are easier to accomplish, but no guarantees (upper team may have no spots available, club may simply say "no", ... )

May attempt to appeal a coach's disapproval to North Texas from Dec 1 to Jan 31, but this is a long shot requiring proof of extreme misconduct by the coach/team.

Better to not sign with a club team unless you're willing to stay the entire year or quit to rec.

You may obtain a release from a competitive team to play rec at any time before April 1. If coach won't sign the release, North Texas Soccer will do it.

Another option is to find a club team that will allow your DD to practice with them and/or guest play in tournaments. You are free to practice with any team if not currently rostered.

Last edited by upper95 on 15/06/12, 01:51 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

upper95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/06/12, 07:46 am

Or you could accept the fact that she just doesn't want to play and let it go.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 15/06/12, 08:13 am

anselansel wrote:Or you could accept the fact that she just doesn't want to play and let it go.....

I would be fine with that, but she does want to play soccer - just not select. She is in soccer camp now, has played/is playing in tournaments every weekend. She is begging to go to a resident camp next month and even talks about playing ODP when she becomes eligible in the fall.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by soccersounder 15/06/12, 09:05 am

The Upper95 advice is pretty spot on...

One other option would be to play REC soccer through PSA. They are not affiliated with NTX and she would still be a "free agent" with NTX and could practice and guest play Tourneys with Select Teams anytime...
soccersounder
soccersounder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MaggieMaggie 15/06/12, 12:28 pm

soccersounder wrote:The Upper95 advice is pretty spot on...

One other option would be to play REC soccer through PSA. They are not affiliated with NTX and she would still be a "free agent" with NTX and could practice and guest play Tourneys with Select Teams anytime...

Agree with above advice. My dd initially wasn't sure she wanted to play club so she played in 2 different East Dallas Rec Leagues. Her rec coach had no objection to and even encouraged her to guest in tournaments. We had to get the rec league commissioner's written permission when she guested. The form is probably on your local rec league's web site or you can find a form on the LHSA Rec side web site. I would also recommend taking some additional skills which she might not get from her rec coach. DD used to go to Joel at the Inwood a few times a month and did take private keeper lessons from a good coach. She mainly guested for D2 and some D1 teams when they had an injured keep and only one keep rostered. Worked out well and she was able to visit with several coaches/clubs and teams before she decided to take the full club plunge.

Last edited by MaggieMaggie on 15/06/12, 01:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaggieMaggie
MaggieMaggie
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by berserker13 15/06/12, 01:22 pm

Indoor and Futsal are considered different sports and also wouldn't keep you from being a free agent for outdoor with no release/paperwork to worry about when you wanted to join a club team or guest play.
berserker13
berserker13
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by i need my arshavin 15/06/12, 04:15 pm

Send DD to other teams tryouts, sounds like maybe she doesn't prefer her current coach and or team?
i need my arshavin
i need my arshavin
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 15/06/12, 04:22 pm

MaggieMaggie wrote:

Agree with above advice. My dd initially wasn't sure she wanted to play club so she played in 2 different East Dallas Rec Leagues. Her rec coach had no objection to and even encouraged her to guest in tournaments. We had to get the rec league commissioner's written permission when she guested. The form is probably on your local rec league's web site or you can find a form on the LHSA Rec side web site. I would also recommend taking some additional skills which she might not get from her rec coach. DD used to go to Joel at the Inwood a few times a month and did take private keeper lessons from a good coach. She mainly guested for D2 and some D1 teams when they had an injured keep and only one keep rostered. Worked out well and she was able to visit with several coaches/clubs and teams before she decided to take the full club plunge.

Good advice (this and others). One thing to mention is that a lot of the PSA coaches are very capable at what they do. Many assume that these are just a bunch of parent-coaches with no real playing experience, licenses, etc. In fact, there are now numerous paid coaches with PSA teams that have extensive soccer backgrounds, even having coached for some of the top clubs in the past. A lot of them just don't want the headache of select soccer. It's worth checking out for those kids who are on the fence.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/06/12, 05:41 pm

Don't forget to check in with LHGCL as well. They have some rules totally separate from NTSSA regarding eligibility for league play prior to the winter break. For sure you can not play for a team that plays in QT and qualifies for D3 and then transfer to a D2 or D1 team before the Spring season. Not sure if that same rule applies if the team plays in QT but doesn't qualify, or if the team goes straight to PPL/APL.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaggieMaggie 15/06/12, 09:10 pm

JustaSport wrote:
MaggieMaggie wrote:

Good advice (this and others). One thing to mention is that a lot of the PSA coaches are very capable at what they do. Many assume that these are just a bunch of parent-coaches with no real playing experience, licenses, etc. In fact, there are now numerous paid coaches with PSA teams that have extensive soccer backgrounds, even having coached for some of the top clubs in the past. A lot of them just don't want the headache of select soccer. It's worth checking out for those kids who are on the fence.

LHSA requires the rec coaches to at least get the basic lisc after ... I think it is 2 seasons ie. fall and spring. Our old rec coach is a former college player and has his lisc. I still think he is better than some club coaches I have seen. Many of the volunteer rec coaches in LHSA played soccer in college. I think the biggest problem in rec is the lack of overall team committment. Our coach tried to do skills and sign up for rec tournaments, but most of the girls and their parents wanted to practice maybe once a week and maybe come to 75% of the scheduled games. These also tended to be the parents who watched the field play time like a hawk. We would have a parent volunteer man the stop watch at all games to make sure everyone received equal field time. That was a big pain in the back side. tongue
MaggieMaggie
MaggieMaggie
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by texflats 15/06/12, 09:29 pm

upper95 wrote:
Another option is to find a club team that will allow your DD to practice with them and/or guest play in tournaments. You are free to practice with any team if not currently rostered.

You will need a practice release for that (probably from the home association). Not a big deal, but important technical detail particularly if your kid gets hurt.
texflats
texflats
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 15/06/12, 09:46 pm

MaggieMaggie wrote:
JustaSport wrote:
MaggieMaggie wrote:

LHSA requires the rec coaches to at least get the basic lisc after ... I think it is 2 seasons ie. fall and spring. Our old rec coach is a former college player and has his lisc. I still think he is better than some club coaches I have seen. Many of the volunteer rec coaches in LHSA played soccer in college. I think the biggest problem in rec is the lack of overall team committment. Our coach tried to do skills and sign up for rec tournaments, but most of the girls and their parents wanted to practice maybe once a week and maybe come to 75% of the scheduled games. These also tended to be the parents who watched the field play time like a hawk. We would have a parent volunteer man the stop watch at all games to make sure everyone received equal field time. That was a big pain in the back side. tongue

I would agree that player commitment can be a big problem at the rec level... if a coach allows it to be. I've always just told parents verbally and given them a written list of what they can expect from me as a coach, and what I expect from them as parents. With PSA, a coach can build his own team and not invite players back the next season who lack commitment. In addition, PSA does not police playing time at all. So if a kid doesn't bother coming to the practices, she'll get to spectate a large portion of the game. That usually fixes the problem quickly and teaches a valuable lesson in the process.

But I have witnessed the reverse problem with select, so perhaps there's no perfect system. You'll see girls who work their tails off, parents pay the dues, and the player never misses a practice only to get maybe 20 minutes of game time as a sub. So in such instances, is the player just not good enough to contribute... or has the well-paid select coach failed to adequately develop her? I see it often as the latter.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down