North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele
ECNL Player ID Platform19/10/23, 02:34 pmsmugrr
Goalkeeper Wanted! 2007G Dallas Texans Soccer Team!10/10/23, 10:31 amDallas Texans East
BVB 09B Classic D305/10/23, 08:28 pmBdavis
Solar 14’ Rodriguez 19/09/23, 09:34 pmCHIVAS

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Holy Smokes! Ref Recert Test Pixel
Statistics
We have 15799 registered users
The newest registered user is Pancho83

Our users have posted a total of 205167 messages in 31957 subjects

Holy Smokes! Ref Recert Test

Go down

Holy Smokes! Ref Recert Test Empty Holy Smokes! Ref Recert Test

Post by Coach&Ref 07/11/12, 01:58 am

Geez, this was hard as hell this year. Shocked You would think that an "open book" test listing all the manuals to use, would make it easier, but it is certainly not! I actually believe that a few of the questions on the test are outright wrong. At least a third of them are highly ambiguous and most EVERY question tries to trick you in some form or another.

For all of those who wanted payback against refs will certainly get it in 2013!

I guess the only reason we might not see a decline in refs, is that you can take the test multiple times. And no, I passed on the first attempt, even though I still disagree with half of the ones I got wrong. Evil or Very Mad

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Holy Smokes! Ref Recert Test Empty Re: Holy Smokes! Ref Recert Test

Post by Its Me 07/11/12, 07:59 am

Totally agree with your assessment of this year’s exam.

I had the opportunity to take the State exam during an upgrade clinic. It was funny because we had a chance to review and attempt to find the answers to the most missed questions. Each question that was reviewed was argued amongst the class because of the way each person interpreted the question. I was thinking why not make the questions relevant but quit trying to trick-up the questions. Most of these guys were State and National referees.
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 07/11/12, 09:47 am

You would probably do better on the test if you could bring in some NTX parents to stand by your desk and yell the right answers at you.
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by glitterbeam 07/11/12, 09:56 am

Uncle Numanga wrote:You would probably do better on the test if you could bring in some NTX parents to stand by your desk and yell the right answers at you.

cheers

glitterbeam
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/11/12, 10:14 am

Its Me wrote:Totally agree with your assessment of this year’s exam.

I had the opportunity to take the State exam during an upgrade clinic. It was funny because we had a chance to review and attempt to find the answers to the most missed questions. Each question that was reviewed was argued amongst the class because of the way each person interpreted the question. I was thinking why not make the questions relevant but quit trying to trick-up the questions. Most of these guys were State and National referees.

I thought the trick questions were interesting. But so much of the exam is technical and has little to do with being a good official. It's important to know LOTG, but I think the program could use a more significant practical component, especially for those who aren't aiming beyond 8 and might not be evaluated on a regular basis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 07/11/12, 12:03 pm

Its Me wrote:Totally agree with your assessment of this year’s exam.

I wish I had taken it in that setting. I would have definitely asked for clarification on quite a few of them; I would argue some others. I remember taking the 100 recert question test in written form from a National ref one year and not even he could answer some of my arguments. He said to me, "I'll have to get back to you because I don't understand either."

The only change I like is the new dropped ball rule. I have lost a game I was coaching because of that.

I agree that this exam was not focused on the spirit of the game.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe scafone 07/11/12, 05:08 pm

Do ALL soccer refs in N Texas take this test? Is it bilingual? I mean I can tell you the majority I see can barely speak English and probably could barely read too.

Curious, what is the pass/fail threshold? I hope 90 and above.

Joe scafone
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It 07/11/12, 05:15 pm

Joe scafone wrote:Do ALL soccer refs in N Texas take this test? Is it bilingual? I mean I can tell you the majority I see can barely speak English and probably could barely read too.

Good points JS....No way IMO can the very old spanish refs pass a test like this without some type of assistance....maybe it like the drivers permit.... retake, retake, retake....

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by TNT 07/11/12, 06:08 pm

Press 1 for english, press 2 for the other national language

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/11/12, 07:29 pm

Fortunately, there's no vision test for refs. That would guarantee a 100% failure rate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/11/12, 07:35 pm

Xara wrote:Fortunately, there's no vision test for refs. That would guarantee a 100% failure rate.

Once you make a few calls and get ref pay quadrupled they'll be afford to a new round of lasik with every recert.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/11/12, 08:08 pm

3-4-3 wrote:
Xara wrote:Fortunately, there's no vision test for refs. That would guarantee a 100% failure rate.

Once you make a few calls and get ref pay quadrupled they'll be afford to a new round of lasik with every recert.

Now you're talking. Given their current pay (or lack thereof), the officials can't even afford prescription glasses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 07/11/12, 08:14 pm

Joe scafone wrote:Do ALL soccer refs in N Texas take this test? Is it bilingual? I mean I can tell you the majority I see can barely speak English and probably could barely read too.

LOL! Actually, there is a Spanish version of the test!

102 questions. The minimum passing grade is 85; up from 75.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by ekkeeper1 07/11/12, 08:27 pm

I actually agree sometimes the test questions are very tricky. Im currently working on my high school refereeing exam. Its tricky. They make the questions confusing and you really have to pay attention to make sure you read correctly. I had one time i took the test and 3 of them i just did not pay enough attention to wording. I think they could find a better way to word many of the questions. Although I have to say the grade 8 re cert much nicer then the high school one which is all true and false.

ekkeeper1
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 08/11/12, 12:58 am

ekkeeper1 wrote:I actually agree sometimes the test questions are very tricky. Im currently working on my high school refereeing exam. Its tricky. They make the questions confusing and you really have to pay attention to make sure you read correctly. I had one time i took the test and 3 of them i just did not pay enough attention to wording. I think they could find a better way to word many of the questions. Although I have to say the grade 8 re cert much nicer then the high school one which is all true and false.

Man, I would ref high school since the money is better, but I just don't like: dual centers, "rules" instead of "laws", and most importantly, BEING OUT IN THE FREEZING RAIN! lol!

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerman771 08/11/12, 07:13 am

Coach&Ref wrote:

I thought the threshold is now 90? Maybe that's because I am upgrading?

There is a spanish version as well.

The problem comes in where all officials call their own games differently and all assessors are different.

soccerman771
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 08/11/12, 10:28 am

soccerman771 wrote:
Coach&Ref wrote:

I thought the threshold is now 90? Maybe that's because I am upgrading?

There is a spanish version as well.

The problem comes in where all officials call their own games differently and all assessors are different.

If you're upgrading the requirement is 90% passing.
What's really amazing is when you look at the referees that have a grade 7 or higher you're looking at less than 100 out of 4500 refs in NTX.
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by ekkeeper1 08/11/12, 10:31 am

Coach&Ref wrote:
ekkeeper1 wrote:I actually agree sometimes the test questions are very tricky. Im currently working on my high school refereeing exam. Its tricky. They make the questions confusing and you really have to pay attention to make sure you read correctly. I had one time i took the test and 3 of them i just did not pay enough attention to wording. I think they could find a better way to word many of the questions. Although I have to say the grade 8 re cert much nicer then the high school one which is all true and false.

Man, I would ref high school since the money is better, but I just don't like: dual centers, "rules" instead of "laws", and most importantly, BEING OUT IN THE FREEZING RAIN! lol!
So far the only high school assignment I have is not a duel. So hoping most of the games I get that way. I have so many schools within 20 miles of where i live that are bigger schools hope i pick up a lot of those games. I have to pay for grad school. Maybe the winter will behave and we wont have much ice or rain this year at least on game day. Currently continuing to work through the test. I think i prefer the grade 8 test better at this point bad wording and all

ekkeeper1
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down