North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
+27790324557 MEET A PROFESSIONA PSYCHIC, SPIRITUAL HEALER ON28/12/23, 07:07 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557STRONG LOVE SPELLS FOR RELATIONSHIPS AND LOVE WH28/12/23, 06:58 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557WE ARE THE ILLUMINATI, REGISTER AS A NEW MEMBER 28/12/23, 06:53 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557THIS IS THE ILLUMINATI JOINING POINT 28/12/23, 06:46 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557 THE REAL ILLUMINATI WHATSAPP NO TO CONTACT US28/12/23, 06:37 amkawayidamirrows
THE REAL ILLUMINATI WHATSAPP NO TO CONTACT US ONLINE IS+277928/12/23, 06:28 amkawayidamirrows
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Select soccer vs. alternatives for U-11? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Kewb11

Our users have posted a total of 205165 messages in 31955 subjects

Select soccer vs. alternatives for U-11?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Select soccer vs. alternatives for U-11? Empty Select soccer vs. alternatives for U-11?

Post by herradura 25/04/13, 10:43 am

With all of the craziness going on around 03 girls at this time of year, I came across an angle that intrigued me.

I was having a conversation with an 03 parent about clubs, development, coaches, this and that - and they said they were considering holding their daughter out of select for the first year and instead focusing on skill specific training / private coaching, futsal, core strength building sports like track and swimming etc, etc... They would let the whirlwind of year 1 select soccer pass, then potentially start visiting practices, guesting in tournaments and so forth as a free agent once the first year settles out and jump back in at U-12. They sited Brazilians do not even start outdoor competitive soccer until 12 yrs., why should we get so worked up so early?

This is a very talented player who any coach would love to have in their arsenal. Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this and would it work?
herradura
herradura
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Location : At counseling "talking through" the desire to instigate forum drama

Back to top Go down

Select soccer vs. alternatives for U-11? Empty Re: Select soccer vs. alternatives for U-11?

Post by NoFanOfDrama 25/04/13, 10:58 am

If the player is top notch, there isn't a coach out there that wouldn't accept your DD one year from now.

There is something to be said about building rapport with a group of girls, but you know 10/11 year olds, they quickly forget that one of their team-mates dropped off for a season and came back. 15/16 year olds, maybe not as forgiving, but at this age, it's ok.

As for craziness, given what you see on these boards, do you really think it can get much crazier than this?
NoFanOfDrama
NoFanOfDrama
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Select soccer vs. alternatives for U-11? Empty Re: Select soccer vs. alternatives for U-11?

Post by Guest 25/04/13, 11:01 am

considering there is usually lots of movement after the first year of select, i don't think it would hurt a bit. she can, if she is good, always find a home next year...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25/04/13, 11:13 am

NoFanOfDrama wrote:If the player is top notch, there isn't a coach out there that wouldn't accept your DD one year from now.

There is something to be said about building rapport with a group of girls, but you know 10/11 year olds, they quickly forget that one of their team-mates dropped off for a season and came back. 15/16 year olds, maybe not as forgiving, but at this age, it's ok.

As for craziness, given what you see on these boards, do you really think it can get much crazier than this?

this is just the prelude, none of these teams rosters are set, there has been no king tut, no qt yet, get ready.... affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by SolarPower00 25/04/13, 11:16 am

I think it that although it bucks the trend and it's not good for club business.....
A year of quality skills and futsal may be a good idea and one that I too have considered.
I have a good feeling that the development under that plan will clearly outweigh what I've seen in the past year...with my DD
But it has to be the right plan and a skills group DD is excited to be a part of....which we have found.
SolarPower00
SolarPower00
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25/04/13, 11:29 am

This is the idea/approach that Coach Shannon Orr at Street Soccer has talked about for the last few years.

http://www.streetsocceracademy.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 25/04/13, 11:54 am

Select isn't that big of a deal. Honestly, for those playing on top academy teams that play across multiple leagues, it is less work and stress. Now, one thing that most teams don't do, is focus on skills - I notice way more team and strategy since all players are now "locked". I would recommend using your free time to do futsal, street soccer, independent skills - because you are your own advocate and you need to make yourself better and let the coach worry about making the team better.

Also, I don't care how much footwork, futsal, indoor, conditioning, fifa you do, if you sit out a year of playing top level 11v11 it will hurt you. May not be a big deal, depending on your DD, but the level of soccer played in this area on the big field does take a little to maintain and if you skip a season there will be a readjustment period.
Blank77
Blank77
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by herradura 25/04/13, 12:40 pm

Blank77 wrote:Select isn't that big of a deal. Honestly, for those playing on top academy teams that play across multiple leagues, it is less work and stress. Now, one thing that most teams don't do, is focus on skills - I notice way more team and strategy since all players are now "locked". I would recommend using your free time to do futsal, street soccer, independent skills - because you are your own advocate and you need to make yourself better and let the coach worry about making the team better.

Also, I don't care how much footwork, futsal, indoor, conditioning, fifa you do, if you sit out a year of playing top level 11v11 it will hurt you. May not be a big deal, depending on your DD, but the level of soccer played in this area on the big field does take a little to maintain and if you skip a season there will be a readjustment period.

So less games, less work, less skills, more money? I might just see where this guy was coming from!
herradura
herradura
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25/04/13, 12:42 pm

City futsal offers a daily academy program that focuses on the individual player! You might want to give them a call !

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 25/04/13, 12:46 pm

Yes, far less games and less time - but the cost increases. The leagues cost more, the uniforms cost more, and at most places, the coaches and club take more. Also, most teams include at least some tournament costs.

Don't be confused thinking it is about your DD, select is 100% business.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 25/04/13, 01:07 pm

if a kid is willing to let you pull them out of soccer for a year because of your "percieved" craziness then soccer is not for them. Kids want to play. Not go to skills, private coaching etc. Although I am sure the places selling all of these things would tell you different however. Also futsal is not the same as outdoor soccer. It can help your game but there is not a direct translation. My older boy went thru qualifying and had a blast. Nervous parents are crazy thats about it. What you will be doing is taking her a year away from her friends. A year competing at a game she loves. If her coach is any good, a year of learning the game she loves. And all so you can get what?
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by jj4mel 25/04/13, 01:10 pm

[quote="herradura"]
I was having a conversation with an 03 parent about clubs, development, coaches, this and that - and they said they were considering holding their daughter out of select for the first year and instead focusing on skill specific training / private coaching, futsal, core strength building sports like track and swimming etc, etc... They would let the whirlwind of year 1 select soccer pass, then potentially start visiting practices, guesting in tournaments and so forth as a free agent once the first year settles out and jump back in at U-12. They sited Brazilians do not even start outdoor competitive soccer until 12 yrs., why should we get so worked up so early? {quote]

Just a thought. Possibly this DD and her parents have not met a coach that is worth playing for at this time? Possibly the places she has been thus far have not been a good fit. So the parents are looking to allow her to pull away for some time, watch some games, work on building her skills even more and come back with a fresh outlook on the game of soccer. If this girl is as good as you believe, she will still be good next season. Just need to continue with conditioning and keep touches on the ball.

Last edited by jj4mel on 25/04/13, 01:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

jj4mel
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 25/04/13, 01:19 pm

???? It's soccer not marriage. DD has only been with 1 coach so we were lucky. Older boy has been thru a number of coaches and now age groups. Some were outstanding and some were awful. Some teammates he enjoyed and some not so much. The one constant has been a love for playing and the enjoyment of getting up on the weekend to go play a game. Sounds like a parent overthinking it or worried they may not make it on a "top" team.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 25/04/13, 01:21 pm

I'm interested in what the "craziness" is that people would try to avoid?
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 25/04/13, 01:40 pm

go99 wrote:What you will be doing is taking her a year away from her friends.

This is probably the main thing my dd would miss. She likes the games, but she loves her teammates and being with them whether its at a game or practice. Her teammates don't go to school with her and they are the only friends she knows who have the same passion for the sport as she does.

go99 wrote:I'm interested in what the "craziness" is that people would try to avoid?

This forum.
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by herradura 25/04/13, 01:46 pm

soccerdad1969 wrote:
go99 wrote:What you will be doing is taking her a year away from her friends.

This is probably the main thing my dd would miss. She likes the games, but she loves her teammates and being with them whether its at a game or practice. Her teammates don't go to school with her and they are the only friends she knows who have the same passion for the sport as she does.

go99 wrote:I'm interested in what the "craziness" is that people would try to avoid?

This forum.

cheers
herradura
herradura
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25/04/13, 01:55 pm

herradura wrote:With all of the craziness going on around 03 girls at this time of year, I came across an angle that intrigued me.

I was having a conversation with an 03 parent about clubs, development, coaches, this and that - and they said they were considering holding their daughter out of select for the first year and instead focusing on skill specific training / private coaching, futsal, core strength building sports like track and swimming etc, etc... They would let the whirlwind of year 1 select soccer pass, then potentially start visiting practices, guesting in tournaments and so forth as a free agent once the first year settles out and jump back in at U-12. They sited Brazilians do not even start outdoor competitive soccer until 12 yrs., why should we get so worked up so early?

This is a very talented player who any coach would love to have in their arsenal. Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this and would it work?

It sounds like a bad idea, but one that is gaining steam with the Futsal heavy crowd. Futsal is a great supplement to outdoor soccer but it is not a REPLACEMENT. The speed of the game on the outdood field picks up each year and skipping a year is not great. Also, I have seen a trend where the girls that play tons of futsal often take too many touches when they translate over to the big field instead of knowing when to play the one time ball or shot. ALso, the use of the bottom of the foot in Futsal does not translate well to the outdoor game.

There is a reason the pro futsal players are not playing outdoor with the big european clubs. A great futsal player does not neccessarily translate to a great outdoor player, regardless of the newfoudn hoopola over Futsal.

The craziness is a benefit to the kids to have to learn to deal with the pressure of the QT, the rankings, league placing etc. That is part of the fun of soccer. Don't take that away and make it about mundane skills training in a gym.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25/04/13, 02:12 pm

Agreed it's not a good idea to hold your kid out an entire select year to do skills training. But these comments regarding the lack of fustal benefit are pretty much clueless.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25/04/13, 02:19 pm

Wow lol! 3-4-3 is right!

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 25/04/13, 02:31 pm

herradura wrote:With all of the craziness going on around 03 girls at this time of year, I came across an angle that intrigued me.

Your post caught my eye in that there are some similarities between what the 03 parent is considering and what my 01 daughter has actually chosen (in stark contrast to the road taken by my 94).

As pointed out by others, the immediate red flags of the 03 parent's idea include:

(1) Why are the parents making such a decision on behalf of their daughter? It's her sport, not theirs. I'll bet if you could ask the little girl, she wants to play soccer games on a team with her friends... not train for a year.

(2) Someone is always citing what the Brazilians do (or some other country). This is not Brazil. Apples to oranges.

(3) Parents shouldn't be duped by the "futsal is best" notion. Many excellent futsal players are lousy at soccer. It's like thinking raquetball would make for a world-class tennis player. I believe much is to be gained from futsal, but the sports are quite different.

All of that aside, my 01 is now planning to enter select soccer having never been rostered to a club team. She did some academy, has played year round in PSA / futsal / indoor soccer, has guest played occasionally with select teams, attended soccer camps, etc. She has also had the time to spend 5-1/2 years getting a black belt in TKD, spend a year in select volleyball, engage in various rec sports, and - well - have fun. I've watched her in a few scrimmages and tournaments with select teams since December when she made this decision, and the girl is just not that far behind. Now she knows her passion and can put in the effort to catch up to the speed of play of select soccer then go with it as her heart desires. This has not been a bad experience by any definition. But I sure would never have held her out a year if club soccer had been her primary interest from the start.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25/04/13, 02:43 pm

RunsLikeWind wrote:

It sounds like a bad idea, but one that is gaining steam with the Futsal heavy crowd. Futsal is a great supplement to outdoor soccer but it is not a REPLACEMENT. The speed of the game on the outdood field picks up each year and skipping a year is not great. Also, I have seen a trend where the girls that play tons of futsal often take too many touches when they translate over to the big field instead of knowing when to play the one time ball or shot. ALso, the use of the bottom of the foot in Futsal does not translate well to the outdoor game.

There is a reason the pro futsal players are not playing outdoor with the big european clubs. A great futsal player does not neccessarily translate to a great outdoor player, regardless of the newfoudn hoopola over Futsal.

The craziness is a benefit to the kids to have to learn to deal with the pressure of the QT, the rankings, league placing etc. That is part of the fun of soccer. Don't take that away and make it about mundane skills training in a gym.

ever hear of a guy named Ronaldinho ? Sorry most of select is...practice not games, 18 games over 10 months. soccer is a marathon not a sprint. frankly the games are meaningless at this level and the skills acquired are key.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25/04/13, 02:44 pm

But these comments regarding the lack of fustal benefit are pretty much clueless.

I think almost everyone acknowledged the benefits of futsal.

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 25/04/13, 04:15 pm

anybody know Alessandro Rosa Vieira (falcao)? Former futsal world player of the year he tried fairly unsuccesfully to make the jump outdoors. Ronaldinho was not a "futsal" player. He played futsal, street soccer, whatever he could because he liked to play. Futsal has its benefits but it is not the magic cure all for soccer and it does not translate skill wise or tactically directly to outdoor soocer.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25/04/13, 04:29 pm

How does it not translate directly to the outdoor game tactically or skill wise. Ball, passing, movement with the ball, and movement off the ball...trying to find the point of weakness for a shot.

It is most definetly not long ball over the middle to a speedy stricker, nor is it balls to the flank with crosses all day to a player like wambach.

It is not the cure for bad soccer, but it is an essential element in development. Just like pickup games or a dd or bb alone the backyard pounding shots at a wall or juggling.

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 25/04/13, 04:54 pm

some of the futsal techniques do not tranfer over while other outdoor techniques are not useful in futsal. For example pulling wide and taking the heavy touch down the line to blow past a defender. Making a trap with the bottom of your feet can slow down the play outdoor but is essential for futsal. The first touch into space or away from pressure has less use in futsal. It is not essential in soccer or at least anymore essential than pick up, street soccer, or even inddor soccer. It's touches on the ball. I am not a fan of indoor soccer and futsal does eleminate the walls and much of the physical play. If you could find free play street soccer I would pick that over futsal as a development.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next