North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele
ECNL Player ID Platform19/10/23, 02:34 pmsmugrr
Goalkeeper Wanted! 2007G Dallas Texans Soccer Team!10/10/23, 10:31 amDallas Texans East
BVB 09B Classic D305/10/23, 08:28 pmBdavis
Solar 14’ Rodriguez 19/09/23, 09:34 pmCHIVAS

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Roster Numbers Going Select? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15799 registered users
The newest registered user is Pancho83

Our users have posted a total of 205167 messages in 31957 subjects

Roster Numbers Going Select?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Roster Numbers Going Select? Empty Roster Numbers Going Select?

Post by Guest 07/05/13, 08:36 am

I know that LH has a roster max of 16, but I was wondering how full most rosters are after signing day. There are a lot of teams posting and looking for a few players. So if all the teams that are looking don't find 1-3 more players do they fold or go select with 12 or 13 on their roster?

Back to top Go down

Roster Numbers Going Select? Empty Re: Roster Numbers Going Select?

Post by Airwynn 07/05/13, 08:50 am

Must have a minimum of 14 to play. Very Happy
Airwynn
Airwynn
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/05/13, 08:55 am

14-15 is not uncommon. Anything less than 16 and teams will still be looking to add to their roster after July 1. Yes, in previous years teams have folded on the eve of signing.
Best of luck to all the 03 parents and DDs: the next 90 days can be pretty wild.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/05/13, 08:59 am

Must have a minimum of 14 to play.

Good point- I didn't realize there was a minimum:

II. TEAM FORMATION
A. Roster Size: The maximum number of players on a roster in the Under 11 and Under 12 age divisions is sixteen (16). The maximum number of players on a roster in the Under 13 through Under 15 age divisions is eighteen (18). The maximum number of players on a roster in the Under 16 through Under 19 age divisions is twenty-two 22). The minimum number of players necessary for a team to register for LHGCL, in all age groups, is fourteen (14).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/05/13, 09:10 am

SteveHolt! wrote:I know that LH has a roster max of 16, but I was wondering how full most rosters are after signing day. There are a lot of teams posting and looking for a few players. So if all the teams that are looking don't find 1-3 more players do they fold or go select with 12 or 13 on their roster?

Another thought is the reason teams are posting looking for players is not because they simply need numbers, but they are looking for someone better to replace a player already on the team.

I have heard stories of players that were on the Academy team for two years through u8-u10 getting cut one week before going select because someone better came along. It is time to start watching your back and really paying attention to who comes out to pratice with your team. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by 03soccermomtx 07/05/13, 09:15 am

Heard a story of a player on signing day have the contract that was promised to them for weeks being handed to the player standing right next to them at the clubs big signing day event even after being told all along they had a spot. That is cruel and unusual punishment for a 10 year old.

03soccermomtx
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/05/13, 09:18 am

03soccermomtx wrote:Heard a story of a player on signing day have the contract that was promised to them for weeks being handed to the player standing right next to them at the clubs big signing day event even after being told all along they had a spot. That is cruel and unusual punishment for a 10 year old.

Thats terrible. No one should be at signing day who is not going to be signed imo. These are children after all...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/05/13, 09:19 am

Another thought is the reason teams are posting looking for players is not because they simply need numbers, but they are looking for someone better to replace a player already on the team.

Another good point:

When I see RASE posting about open practices I understand that they are a strong team looking to see if they can replace their bottom 2-4 players with stronger players.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 07/05/13, 09:21 am

RunsLikeWind wrote:

I have heard stories of players that were on the Academy team for two years through u8-u10 getting cut one week before going select because someone better came along. It is time to start watching your back and really paying attention to who comes out to pratice with your team. Evil or Very Mad

The only shock is that when it happens it comes as a shock to some people. Every coach ranks his kids. If you are objective, its pretty easy to see where your kid ranks on the team. If you are in the bottom 1/3, you really need to have a backup plan. This will hold true all the way through U19.

TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 07/05/13, 09:25 am

silentparent wrote:
03soccermomtx wrote:Heard a story of a player on signing day have the contract that was promised to them for weeks being handed to the player standing right next to them at the clubs big signing day event even after being told all along they had a spot. That is cruel and unusual punishment for a 10 year old.

Thats terrible. No one should be at signing day who is not going to be signed imo. These are children after all...

There is a reason this is a story someone heard, this type of stuff is rare and doesn't happen at the signing party.
Blank77
Blank77
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by herradura 07/05/13, 09:26 am

You should always have a back up plan, but something like this is something you cannot plan for.

If you have any questions in your mind about where your DD stands on the team, now is the time to have a conversation with the coach. Now is the time to be realistic and not "hopeful".

Coaches generally do not operate as described above and if they do, I would like to know their names - that is just bad business period and we as paying customers should all stay away.
herradura
herradura
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Location : At counseling "talking through" the desire to instigate forum drama

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 07/05/13, 09:30 am

One thing to consider, before select your team probably plays easy games and tough games. If your daughter plays a little more against the easy teams and less against hard teams, expect much less playing time in select. My DDs coach in Academy balanced play time when we played easy opponents, which was often as we were a top 10 team, but when we got to select and every game mattered, 2-3 girls rarely saw the field - 2 of which quit soccer altogether after the first year of select. Be prepared for things to change, coaches coach differently in select as the difference between keeping a bye and getting relegated can be very slim for some.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by 03soccermomtx 07/05/13, 09:35 am

Rare doesn't mean it doesn't happen. In this case, it happened. Just be careful out there.

03soccermomtx
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SolarPower00 07/05/13, 09:41 am

SteveHolt! wrote:

Another good point:

When I see RASE posting about open practices I understand that they are a strong team looking to see if they can replace their bottom 2-4 players with stronger players.

You are exactly right. I'm always kind of surprised to see top5 teams shopping for talent when they are certainly not short of players.
SolarPower00
SolarPower00
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 07/05/13, 09:42 am

Blank77 wrote:

There is a reason this is a story someone heard, this type of stuff is rare and doesn't happen at the signing party.

Agreed. Very rare and probably apocryphal. But if it did happen, I agree with the poster who said the coach should be outed. That's one of the useful functions of this forum.

One year, my dd's Top 3 D1 team was the welcome recipient of a nice player from another Top 3 D1 team on signing day. Their team was loaded with defenders and ours needed one. The dad claimed they were "completely" shocked, but I think it probably fell more into the "hopeful" category.

TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 07/05/13, 09:45 am

03soccermomtx wrote:Rare doesn't mean it doesn't happen. In this case, it happened. Just be careful out there.

In this case? YOu have to be kidding, were you at 31 flavors last night? I have multiple kids in select soccer for several years and although I have heard of offers being pulled, nothing like this. Whoevers sister's brother's cousin is floating you this tale is just building up unrealistic fears and there is no reason to post this on the board to build on people's anxiety.

Be smart, talk to the coach, don't trust him, check his actions and history, and have a back up plan...but for the most part select doesn't change much from academy. If your team is stable and your DD was the starting right forward and played 75% of the time last year, you can probably bet she will be in the same spot next year.

Now, if your DD isn't a starter in academy, and play time is a factor - leave now and find a team where she can contribute. The bench plays less, and the bench usually leaves after year 1 anyway so be smart and jump now if your DD gets under 40% play time in academy.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 07/05/13, 09:50 am

Gunner9 wrote:
Blank77 wrote:

Agreed. Very rare and probably apocryphal. But if it did happen, I agree with the poster who said the coach should be outed. That's one of the useful functions of this forum.

One year, my dd's Top 3 D1 team was the welcome recipient of a nice player from another Top 3 D1 team on signing day. Their team was loaded with defenders and ours needed one. The dad claimed they were "completely" shocked, but I think it probably fell more into the "hopeful" category.

The coach won't get outed, because it is a made up story. What is actually more common is a player not showing on signing day. I've seen that happen multiple times. Also, most coaches that aren't going to lose money if they aren't full, will sit at 15 with the hope that someone drops in their lap.

And yes, if you are asking about coaches getting less money for having under 16 kids - this is absolutely true. Keep this in mind if you are being recruited all of a sudden that you may be coach $$ to fill the end of his bench.

Remember, you are your DD's only true advocate with no other agenda. Coaches need money, wins, and players and put their goals and the team's goals first - you have to put your DD first - no one else does. I wise soccer man always told me, find a team where your DD is not the best, but in the top 7 - that will challenge her to improve and get her full field time.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/05/13, 09:54 am

Thesad part is the parent who is shocked they didnt get signed but was obvious to everyone else. Dont go into june without talking to your coach about what he thinks of your daughter. If he wants her he will happy to hav this conversation, if he doesnt,look for evasion, platitudes or we'll see blah blah

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 07/05/13, 10:09 am

Make sure you are direct about your expactations. Coaches may think your DD is a good player and he is happy about being able to use her to spot fill here and there at 10-15 minutes a game. He may think this is a good outcome for her, and tell you how excited he is about having her - which may all be true. If you are looking for her to start and play 45 minutes a game then his good and exciting plans for her won't match up to your expecations and you will be stuck in a bad spot that is really no body's fault. Ask him straight up, where and what she will be playing, although many coaches won't address these issues - you need to dig or risk a hard YEAR.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by bandito974 07/05/13, 10:39 am

Very good topic.. Lots of good info for the "Newbie parents" like me. As a parent I am very realistic on my DD level of play, I often wonder if looking for a Team that doesn't plan on playing in LH maybe the best course of action,then coming back in a year to re-evaluate her progress. My DD needs a confidence boost that I feel will propel her, then on that same token I want her to play with the best possible group. Its certainly a stressful time

bandito974
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GrandTXSoccer 07/05/13, 10:51 am

Newsflash! Every team is looking for players, there's not one team in this age group that isn't looking to get better at every position on the field if they can, from SRSA down to whomever was last in the latest FBR. If some stud moves in to town from don't you think every team would be trying like heck to get her? Yes they would and short of maybe one or two players on each team no one would be safe.

Plus anyone that's been around knows that one day a player is there and the next they are gone and as a coach you don't want to be standing there without a plan. Same things goes for parents, you don't want to be clinging to hope and the idea that your DD has been with these girls for a year and they are all going to be holding hands and skipping off into the sunset together, it's not how it works. IF your DD is not starting and you think she is good enough to start or play more minutes NOW is the time to look around. Select is a not a scenario where everyone gets equal playing time, those days are over if you want to go the select route.

All these clubs want to have a top team and that's why you see teams like RASE and Sting G posting about practices and why you have guest players on other teams in tournaments. They are all looking for the best team possible, and it's why you see and hear about coaches calling parents trying to get them to come over and try out their team.

There's going to be movement on the majority of the teams, it's just the nature of the beast of select soccer. I always prefered to have my coach up front about what their intentions are and what they are looking for, that way if my DD didn't fit that mold I would have time to find her a spot.

So have that conversation with your coach and find out where he thinks she fits into the plans. If he/she says she's a vitale piece of the puzzle, but doesn't start and only plays about 15-20 minutes per game, then start looking around. Go watch how the teams practice and play, the time is now because no roster is truly set for the next two months.

GrandTXSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by SolarPower00 07/05/13, 10:58 am

My point is if your team finished first in TGPL and allowed only 2 goals this Spring....why would you risk messing up that chemistry? why advertise for 2-3 players? What message does that send to the parents in the bottom third of the roster. I have the same problem with teams that have a great tournament then advertise on here Monday morning for 2-3 players.

I get the whole 'best never rests' theory but sometimes tinkering with something can cause more problems than you started with.
SolarPower00
SolarPower00
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/05/13, 11:07 am

SolarPower00 wrote:My point is if your team finished first in TGPL and allowed only 2 goals this Spring....why would you risk messing up that chemistry? why advertise for 2-3 players? What message does that send to the parents in the bottom third of the roster. I have the same problem with teams that have a great tournament then advertise on here Monday morning for 2-3 players.

I get the whole 'best never rests' theory but sometimes tinkering with something can cause more problems than you started with.

because there is always room for improvement and frankly if you are pursuing top 5 teams, you must always be aware that you are expendable....

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneypenny 07/05/13, 11:10 am

"I have the same problem with teams that have a great tournament then advertise on here Monday morning for 2-3 players."

My guess is that some of the teams who have a great tournament and then advertise for players on Monday are the same teams that used guests to get those good results. Thus, they still need players to permanently fill their roster.

Moneypenny
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

http://www.007.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Anarchy 07/05/13, 11:19 am

Moneypenny wrote: "I have the same problem with teams that have a great tournament then advertise on here Monday morning for 2-3 players."

My guess is that some of the teams who have a great tournament and then advertise for players on Monday are the same teams that used guests to get those good results. Thus, they still need players to permanently fill their roster.

Exactly what it is.. Seen this in league play as well. You will play a team with 4-5 subs and the next day they are looking for 2-3 players??? They use guess players for better results in an attempt to attract permanent players for their team.

Anarchy
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum