North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele
ECNL Player ID Platform19/10/23, 02:34 pmsmugrr
Goalkeeper Wanted! 2007G Dallas Texans Soccer Team!10/10/23, 10:31 amDallas Texans East
BVB 09B Classic D305/10/23, 08:28 pmBdavis
Solar 14’ Rodriguez 19/09/23, 09:34 pmCHIVAS

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Debating what direction to go Pixel
Statistics
We have 15799 registered users
The newest registered user is Pancho83

Our users have posted a total of 205167 messages in 31957 subjects

Debating what direction to go

Go down

Debating what direction to go Empty Debating what direction to go

Post by central 03/10/13, 05:11 pm

My DD is on a D1 team and we are trying to determine if we should consider trying out for ECNl or just stay with Lake Highlands when the time comes. I am looking for parents who have experienced this whole process and what they think.

central
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Debating what direction to go Empty Re: Debating what direction to go

Post by DDdad 03/10/13, 06:04 pm

IMO, there is absolutely no harm in trying out. It is a good experience for most and allows them to be challenged and meet a bunch of other very talented players. If she is playing D1 currently, she will know many if not most of those out at tryouts with her so the nerves should be less.

ECNL is not some scary monster. All of these kids tried out for DI or DII or whatever team they are on. Maybe it was not as formal of a process as "an ECNL Tryout" but don't kid yourself, they were being evaluated by the coach each year whether to have her stay or go. They are not busing kids in from other areas. The core of each ECNL team will be the top 5-8 players on the Clubs ECNL team. After that, it depends on the club but they will look to augment starters, create depth and increase talent. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Girls that were not invited by one ECNL team will be starters on another.

Do you as a family want to be ECNL is the more important question. The demands go up another notch. They will train 2-3 times per week. Maybe add in a film session or striking session. Just as many games as LH but several are out of town which take more time. The game is faster and more physical and each team is deep so coaches expect the most and if they don't get it, the hooks are fast as there are very capable players on every bench chomping at the bit. Except for the top 5-6 on each team, playing time will be less than what they are used to. For numbers 14-18 or higher, playing time could be much less. That said, they will get better. One comment I heard from a group one year older was that their DD showed more improvement from August to May their first year in ECNL than in any of the previous 4-5 years and all around were nodding agreement. The pressure to perform is greater and the demands are greater and most will rise to the occasion and get better just like they did at D1 or D2 or whatever.

The money is really no different than if you were on a top LH D1 team. At U14 you will have 1-2 major out of town tourneys. You will have 2-3 local tourneys, and round robin trips to Austin, Houston and Tulsa. Very similar to Premier League in LH or National League etc. Even some of the top LH teams not in Premier league will travel to Surf or Eclipse or Disney to play.

All said, my personal opinion would be to try out. Good experience either way. She will make it or not. She will be glad she is out or hungry to do it next year. You still get to say yes or no at the end. Life is nothing but experiences and opportunities.
DDdad
DDdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccer315 03/10/13, 09:38 pm

Great post DDad!! All I will add is if she does not make ECNL, make it positive, fun and the right environment for her to grow as a player for U15 tryouts if that is what she wants.
soccer315
soccer315
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by central 04/10/13, 09:27 am

Thank You!

central
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by central 04/10/13, 09:30 am

I have another question, for those who have DD in ECNL, especially the first year or two, how has the experience been?

central
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunners 04/10/13, 09:33 am

central wrote:I have another question, for those who have DD in ECNL, especially the first year or two, how has the experience been?
Virtually the same as LHGCL in previous years.

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Dive n stab 29/12/13, 01:34 pm

With the increased time demands, is a 2nd sport out of the question? And, do you have other kids? Do they tag along? Do you send your dd with other families that are going, or is your whole family an ECNL family that goes along to watch?

Dive n stab
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by ballhead 29/12/13, 01:58 pm

Dive n stab wrote:With the increased time demands, is a 2nd sport out of the question? And, do you have other kids?  Do they tag along? Do you send your dd with other families that are going, or is your whole family an ECNL family that goes along to watch?

My dd's team changed nothing from its LHGCL days.  Two practices a week, and she would sometimes do extra fitness and skills on her own (outside the team).  

If you're thinking that the ECNL teams are sort of like semi-pro, eating up all the time with extra practice sessions, etc., I would say that was not my experience.  The time commitment did not change at all.  

She played other sports (went to two State Championships) in the secondary sports, but went down to soccer only when High School soccer ate up so much or her time.
ballhead
ballhead
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dive n stab 29/12/13, 02:04 pm

ballhead wrote:
Dive n stab wrote:With the increased time demands, is a 2nd sport out of the question? And, do you have other kids?  Do they tag along? Do you send your dd with other families that are going, or is your whole family an ECNL family that goes along to watch?

My dd's team changed nothing from its LHGCL days.  Two practices a week, and she would sometimes do extra fitness and skills on her own (outside the team).  

If you're thinking that the ECNL teams are sort of like semi-pro, eating up all the time with extra practice sessions, etc., I would say that was not my experience.  The time commitment did not change at all.
She played other sports (went to two State Championships) in the secondary sports, but went down to soccer only when High School soccer ate up so much or her time.

Just out of curiosity, did you dd or is your dd planning on playing in college? Thank you for sharing! It is good to hear from someone who has actually experienced this instead of hearing others' speculations or predictions of what's to come.

Dive n stab
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dive n stab 29/12/13, 02:13 pm

Sorry, more questions, I'd rather hear from experienced parents... Anyone experience ECNL with their dd from U14 until HS graduation? If not, why? If so, was college the next step? (Full ride/partial scholarship, or just doing it for the love of the game?)

Dive n stab
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by ballhead 29/12/13, 04:01 pm

Dive n stab wrote:
ballhead wrote:

Just out of curiosity, did you dd or is your dd planning on playing in college?  Thank you for sharing!  It is good to hear from someone who has actually experienced this instead of hearing others' speculations or predictions of what's to come.

My dd always wanted to play in college.  In her mind, there was never any other outcome possible.  She's a soccer playing college freshman now and is really enjoying it.
ballhead
ballhead
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by planogirl 29/12/13, 10:26 pm

ballhead wrote:

confused 

Serious? Only "Two practices a week"? I checked one of the teams' webpage, and roughly about 4~5 times a week.

planogirl
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ballhead 29/12/13, 10:33 pm

planogirl wrote:
ballhead wrote:

confused 

Serious? Only "Two practices a week"? I checked one of the teams' webpage, and roughly about 4~5 times a week.

Serious. Two practices a week. I am curious though, which team did you find that was practicing 4~5 times a week?
ballhead
ballhead
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 29/12/13, 10:46 pm

I have heard of girls practicing more than three times a week that were dual rostered playing for two teams. Playing ECNL and lake highlands. None of the 2000 ECNL players and parents have mentioned practicing 4-5 times a week. confused 

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dive n stab 29/12/13, 10:53 pm

OK ECNL has a mandatory 3 practices per week or no game play that weekend of missed practice.

Dive n stab
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunners 29/12/13, 10:53 pm

Dive n stab wrote:OK ECNL has a mandatory 3 practices per week or no game play that weekend of missed practice.

False.

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 29/12/13, 10:56 pm

Dive n stab wrote:OK ECNL has a mandatory 3 practices per week or no game play that weekend of missed practice.

Where are you getting this information?

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dive n stab 29/12/13, 11:17 pm

I spoke with ECNL director with the intent of helping my dd make an informed decision about what direction to go next year and if 2 sports would even be feasible.

Dive n stab
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 29/12/13, 11:25 pm

Dive n stab wrote:I spoke with ECNL director with the intent of  helping my dd make an informed decision about what direction to go next year and if 2 sports would even be feasible.

Well then, is a easy decision for you and your DD!

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dive n stab 29/12/13, 11:41 pm

You'd think, but...

Dive n stab
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down