North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele
ECNL Player ID Platform19/10/23, 02:34 pmsmugrr
Goalkeeper Wanted! 2007G Dallas Texans Soccer Team!10/10/23, 10:31 amDallas Texans East
BVB 09B Classic D305/10/23, 08:28 pmBdavis
Solar 14’ Rodriguez 19/09/23, 09:34 pmCHIVAS

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

What is the best formation for our small fields in north texas Pixel
Statistics
We have 15799 registered users
The newest registered user is Pancho83

Our users have posted a total of 205167 messages in 31957 subjects

What is the best formation for our small fields in north texas

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is the best formation for our small fields in north texas Empty What is the best formation for our small fields in north texas

Post by GGoat 13/10/13, 08:14 pm

Why are so many teams playing with one forward. I know a lot of college and pros play this but I don't think it works on the smaller fields because you cant spread the field and there is so much kick ball on the smaller fields and many times I see the 1 forward making a run but its 4 to 5 against 1 until the midfielders can get up but after running 18 to 18 a few times they are out of gas. What do you think    
                                             Very Happy 

Very Happy                                            Very Happy                                      Very Happy 

Very Happy                                                   Laughing 

Laughing                     Very Happy                     Very Happy                                Very Happy

.. Very Happy

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

What is the best formation for our small fields in north texas Empty Re: What is the best formation for our small fields in north texas

Post by intrinsic 13/10/13, 09:40 pm

What age group and what sized field are you thinking of?

intrinsic
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

http://www.BlazeSoccer.org

Back to top Go down

What is the best formation for our small fields in north texas Empty Re: What is the best formation for our small fields in north texas

Post by GGoat 13/10/13, 10:01 pm

98 00 Arlington, plano

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 13/10/13, 10:03 pm

Full disclosure: I mostly hate the 4-5-1 formation for multiple reasons: (1) As you suggested, the single forward is often rendered useless against numerous defenders, (2) the central midfield area is clogged unless the three central mids know their roles to perfection, and (3) coaches almost never play the outside mids out as wide as they should be in this setup.

As for the "best" formation... there's no clear answer. The first rule is to play the formation that best suits the team, not force the team to fit the formation. Second, the good coaches teach the kids two or three options that they can use in response to the opponent.

Despite all of that, my personal first preference in most situations is the flatback 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield. It's great for getting the outside defenders involved in the attack. 4-4-2 with a stopper/sweeper is more for the very youngest teams. I like the 4-3-3 if I've got some fast outside mids that can get back and forth throughout the entire game, but it's a challenge for the young kids.

JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by intrinsic 13/10/13, 10:05 pm

I don't think kickball is caused by the size of the fields.

Teams with a strong attack based on passing use not only the midfielders, but also defenders in the attack.

intrinsic
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 13/10/13, 10:32 pm

The size of the field I think makes huge difference. If you are on a nice wide long field you can get your defenders more involved and you an stretch the field and play much better ball control but when the fields are narrow it congest the middle and when the mids get tired from running 18 to 18 they either don't get up or back

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 13/10/13, 10:40 pm

We played a team today that ran a 3 2 5 which was really a diamond defense and it killed us. We ran a 4-4-2 and never changed and it was usually 2 against 6 or 7 with the keeper and when they attacked us it was usually 3 or 4 sometimes 5 v 5 if both of there mids got up
it was lie this

Very Happy   .                                                  Very Happy          .                                 Very Happy 

. Very Happy                                  .                               Very Happy 

.          Very Happy .

Very Happy   .               our F                      .     Very Happy    .                       Very Happy .

.    Our f.

.    Very Happy .

keep

Last edited by GGoat on 13/10/13, 10:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 13/10/13, 10:48 pm

At times it seemed they had more players on the field because we always seemed out numbered. Our forwards and defenders still had some energy but our mids where dead. with the 4-4-2 and the 4-5-1 it causes your mids to have to cover the entire field for most of the game and if you don't have subs or you are not subbing all your mids on a rotation then they die. IDK I could be wrong but I see it happening a lot

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by a-nonny-moose 14/10/13, 08:20 am

I am looking at the happy faces, and don't see a 3 - 2 - 5 (which is 3 defenders, two mids, and five forwards--based on where you positioned your forwards--our f.) because you begin with the numbers of defensive players (marking backs, stoppers, sweepers) and count back to front (4-4-2 is 4 backs, 4 mids, and two forwards). What I am seeing is a 4 - 3 - 3 (four defenders in a sweeper set, three midfielders with the center playing behind the wide players, and three forwards).

Please clarify if I am reading this incorrectly.

a-nonny-moose
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 14/10/13, 08:25 am

a-nonny-moose wrote:I am looking at the happy faces, and don't see a 3 - 2 - 5 (which is 3 defenders, two mids, and five forwards--based on where you positioned your forwards--our f.) because you begin with the numbers of defensive players (marking backs, stoppers, sweepers) and count back to front (4-4-2 is 4 backs, 4 mids, and two forwards).  What I am seeing is a 4 - 3 - 3 (four defenders in a sweeper set, three midfielders with the center playing behind the wide players, and three forwards).  

Please clarify if I am reading this incorrectly.

That's what I'm seeing, too. 4-3-3, stopper/sweeper, with an offensive diamond center-mid setup.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph FC 14/10/13, 08:40 am

The OP is showing a 4-2-3-1 formation.
Best formation for youth is 3-4-3 because without any movement it creates triangles. Most don't play it though. Any formation should be based around the players the coach has not on what is their favorite or what the club wants.
Triumph FC
Triumph FC
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

http://www.triumphfc.org

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 14/10/13, 08:41 am

GGoat wrote:We played a team today that ran a 3 2 5 which was really a diamond defense and it killed us. We ran a 4-4-2 and never changed and it was usually 2 against 6 or 7 with the keeper and when they attacked us it was usually 3 or 4 sometimes 5 v 5 if both of there mids got up
it was lie this

Very Happy   .                                                  Very Happy          .                                 Very Happy 

. Very Happy                                  .                               Very Happy 

.          Very Happy .

Very Happy   .               our F                      .     Very Happy    .                       Very Happy .

.    Our f.

.    Very Happy .

keep
For the record (and I'm not out to discredit your coach), but one of the simplest strategies when playing against a team that uses a sweeper is to park at least one forward right next to her. When this happens, the sweeper will automatically back up - because she is the last player in the back and all by herself - which then stretches the field. Her defenders will then also have to backup, creating a gap between the defensive and midfield lines. A 4-4-2 opposition with two offensive centermids can exploit this, especially when one of the outside defenders breaks up the sideline and becomes part of the offense. Field width is one of the Achille's heels of the 4-3-3 stopper/sweeper system. A well-executed 4-4-2 formation is all about using that width.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 14/10/13, 08:49 am

Triumph FC wrote:The OP is showing a 4-2-3-1 formation.
Best formation for youth is 3-4-3 because without any movement it creates triangles. Most don't play it though. Any formation should be based around the players the coach has not on what is their favorite or what the club wants.
I don't see the 4-2-3-1 in the first post. The two defensive centermids are pushed too far up in the rendering provided to be considered separate right and left stoppers. Of course, this is assuming that the design provided was how the team lined up at kickoff. I run a 3-2-3-2 regularly for young players on full-sized fields. It varies significantly from a 3-5-2 in that the stoppers (or defensive mids as some coaches prefer to call them) tend to control the large gap between the opponents forwards and mids but don't push up nearly as far as true mids unless there is a corner kick or free kick.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 14/10/13, 09:50 am

sorry yall Im not the best smiley face formation maker the 1st one was the 4/5/1 The second is similar to the formation they played. They would push up to create a offside trap at times to where the back line was straight but many times during the game I would count 6 or 7 defenders against our 2 forwards. We were able to score in the 2nd half but at that point it 3-0 and they had moved a lot of girls to different positions and subbed a lot They had us 3-0 in the first half and when they attacked it seemed we were out numbered also with the 3 forward and the 2 mids that would come in an pick up trash. This formation to me seems to work much better on the smaller fields or maybe they where just a better team they had some great girls.

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by intrinsic 14/10/13, 09:55 am

GGoat wrote:The size of the field I think makes huge difference. If you are on a nice wide long field you can get your defenders more involved and you an stretch the field and play much better ball control but when the fields are narrow it congest the middle and when the mids get tired from running 18 to 18 they either don't get up or back
What fields are too small, and what are the dimensions? Is this Railroad, UTD, Chinn Chapel, etc?

intrinsic
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 14/10/13, 10:25 am

intrinsic wrote:
GGoat wrote:The size of the field I think makes huge difference. If you are on a nice wide long field you can get your defenders more involved and you an stretch the field and play much better ball control but when the fields are narrow it congest the middle and when the mids get tired from running 18 to 18 they either don't get up or back
What fields are too small, and what are the dimensions? Is this Railroad, UTD, Chinn Chapel, etc?
Compared to college size fields and pro fields they are all smaller
Railroad are for the most part pretty good size Utd are just so bad
Carpenter in plano are bad and very small. Arlington has the best grass but many are smaller I don't know the exact dimension I guess I can take a tape measure out to the next game and see. It seems to me that many of the fields are much more narrow.

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by socceroverload 14/10/13, 10:27 am

I've always enjoyed the "cloud" formation employed by many of the younger (u4, u5) teams. It keeps the girls connected, provides ample opportunity for communication without having to shout, and once cetered around the ball makes for a pretty strong defense. When a player/ball does finally emerge from the "cloud" the fans become re-energized and typically start in with the time honored cheer of "WRONG WAY... YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!"

socceroverload
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 14/10/13, 10:29 am

socceroverload wrote:I've always enjoyed the "cloud" formation employed by many of the younger (u4, u5) teams. It keeps the girls connected, provides ample opportunity for communication without having to shout, and once cetered around the ball makes for a pretty strong defense. When a player/ball does finally emerge from the "cloud" the fans become re-energized and typically start in with the time honored cheer of "WRONG WAY... YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!"
Ah.. the 0-5-0 formation. I like cloud better though cheers
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 14/10/13, 10:52 am

GGoat wrote:sorry yall Im not the best smiley face formation maker the 1st one was the 4/5/1 The second is similar to the formation they played. They would push up to create a offside trap at times to where the back line was straight but many times during the game I would count 6 or  7 defenders against our 2 forwards. We were able to score in the 2nd half but at that point it 3-0 and they had moved a lot of girls to different positions and subbed a lot They had us 3-0 in the first half and when they attacked it seemed we were out numbered also with the 3 forward and the 2 mids that would come in an pick up trash. This formation to me seems to work much better on the smaller fields or maybe they where just a better team they had some great girls.
I agree; it could be combination of factors that made the opposing team seem so ubiquitous. It sounds like the girls playing really understood transition from offense to defense. Needless to say, any formation can be equally effective if it fits the team and the players know how to run it. But I have still yet to see a girls' select team run a true 4-5-1 and look good doing it. They may win, but the middle is always a mess of bodies as the mids run into each other. It can definitely be good against a superior team by keeping numbers slightly back and hoping for the game-changing breakaway by a ball played through (or usually over the top) to the lone forward... but that's one of the few positives in my humble opinion for any team that has not truly mastered it.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 14/10/13, 11:22 am

soccerdad1969 wrote:
socceroverload wrote:I've always enjoyed the "cloud" formation employed by many of the younger (u4, u5) teams. It keeps the girls connected, provides ample opportunity for communication without having to shout, and once cetered around the ball makes for a pretty strong defense. When a player/ball does finally emerge from the "cloud" the fans become re-energized and typically start in with the time honored cheer of "WRONG WAY... YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!"
Ah.. the 0-5-0 formation. I like cloud better though cheers
Love it

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 14/10/13, 03:46 pm

JustaSport wrote:
GGoat wrote:sorry yall Im not the best smiley face formation maker the 1st one was the 4/5/1 The second is similar to the formation they played. They would push up to create a offside trap at times to where the back line was straight but many times during the game I would count 6 or  7 defenders against our 2 forwards. We were able to score in the 2nd half but at that point it 3-0 and they had moved a lot of girls to different positions and subbed a lot They had us 3-0 in the first half and when they attacked it seemed we were out numbered also with the 3 forward and the 2 mids that would come in an pick up trash. This formation to me seems to work much better on the smaller fields or maybe they where just a better team they had some great girls.
I agree; it could be combination of factors that made the opposing team seem so ubiquitous.  It sounds like the girls playing really understood transition from offense to defense.  Needless to say, any formation can be equally effective if it fits the team and the players know how to run it.  But I have still yet to see a girls' select team run a true 4-5-1 and look good doing it.  They may win, but the middle is always a mess of bodies as the mids run into each other.  It can definitely be good against a superior team by keeping numbers slightly back and hoping for the game-changing breakaway by a ball played through (or usually over the top) to the lone forward... but that's one of the few positives in my humble opinion for any team that has not truly mastered it.
No no no!  We could never have that!  We must get away from the dump-and-run/kickball/jungle ball or whatever the soccer Nazis are calling it these days.  Don't you know - we can't develop if we are winning.  bom

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 14/10/13, 05:11 pm

Lawnboy wrote:
JustaSport wrote:
I agree; it could be combination of factors that made the opposing team seem so ubiquitous.  It sounds like the girls playing really understood transition from offense to defense.  Needless to say, any formation can be equally effective if it fits the team and the players know how to run it.  But I have still yet to see a girls' select team run a true 4-5-1 and look good doing it.  They may win, but the middle is always a mess of bodies as the mids run into each other.  It can definitely be good against a superior team by keeping numbers slightly back and hoping for the game-changing breakaway by a ball played through (or usually over the top) to the lone forward... but that's one of the few positives in my humble opinion for any team that has not truly mastered it.
No no no!  We could never have that!  We must get away from the dump-and-run/kickball/jungle ball or whatever the soccer Nazis are calling it these days.  Don't you know - we can't develop if we are winning.  bom
I seem to have read that a time or two on here. In fact, isn't it true (on this forum, at least) that any ball played to a forward must originate from a defender, be passed on the ground to a midfielder, who then performs 3-4 sizzling 1v1 moves before passing the ball on the ground to the forward? I still can't figure out why we allow 50/50 balls to be delivered in the air via free kicks, goal kicks, keeper punts, and corner kicks. That's simply not "possession soccer"!
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by skillzbeatbrutes 14/10/13, 05:29 pm

You know what the common weakness inherent in the "4-4-2", "4-3-3", and the currently fashionable "4-2-3-1" are? It's their failure to use a keeper. You're allowed 11 players on the pitch, and it's a good idea to have one.
skillzbeatbrutes
skillzbeatbrutes
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/10/13, 05:50 pm

JustaSport wrote:
Lawnboy wrote:
JustaSport wrote:
I seem to have read that a time or two on here.  In fact, isn't it true (on this forum, at least) that any ball played to a forward must originate from a defender, be passed on the ground to a midfielder, who then performs 3-4 sizzling 1v1 moves before passing the ball on the ground to the forward?  I still can't figure out why we allow 50/50 balls to be delivered in the air via free kicks, goal kicks, keeper punts, and corner kicks.  That's simply not "possession soccer"!
Sounds like you're talking out two sides of your neck. First you claim you've never seen a select team look "good" playing a 4-5-1....which implies you care about aesthetics. Now you're trying some weak arse sarcasm implying kickball is equivalent to soccer.  Which is it? Either you want em to learn the game or you don't.

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 14/10/13, 06:35 pm

4-3-3, are you really just that much of a moron that written facetiousness completely escapes you? If you don't have something knowledgeable or at least witty to add, why even post other that to read your own drivel?
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next