North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTXYesterday at 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Multi-Sports or just Soccer Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Yuna

Our users have posted a total of 205174 messages in 31963 subjects

Multi-Sports or just Soccer

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you let your kids play multiple sports?

Multi-Sports or just Soccer Vote_lcap84%Multi-Sports or just Soccer Vote_rcap 84% 
[ 78 ]
Multi-Sports or just Soccer Vote_lcap16%Multi-Sports or just Soccer Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 93
Back

Multi-Sports or just Soccer Empty Multi-Sports or just Soccer

Post by SoccerDad2002 17/07/14, 04:29 pm

I wonder what the thoughts of parents are going to be in regards to this "Take 5" interview with FC Dallas/USMNT standout Zach Lloyd in where he states that he not only played multiple sports through high school, he believes that it improves his soccer skills. So many people on here seem to stress Soccer 24/7/365 (366 on leap years).

https://responsible-sports.libertymutual.com/article/1983/TAKE-5-with-US-Youth-Soccer's-Zach-Loyd?src=cm-dtxt-brd-uso-rs1406101188&utm_source=usysa&utm_medium=a&utm_term=june2014&utm_content=loydtake5&utm_campaign=interview

SoccerDad2002
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Multi-Sports or just Soccer Empty Re: Multi-Sports or just Soccer

Post by Guest 17/07/14, 04:40 pm

Im for multiple sports, but the question should be asked.

Did Messi, ozil, James Rodriguez, CR7, etc... Play baseball, football, golf, etc... Growing up.

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 17/07/14, 05:05 pm

I wish there had been a third vote option for "It depends on the player." There are some sports that definitely compliment soccer - Track and Field for instance. Other than strategic thinking (which I am not sure really develops in the early teen years), I am not sure that there is much of a symbiotic relationship between other sports and soccer. Perhaps there is some connection between American Football and Soccer (especially with some teams I have watched on the soccer field).
InaB
InaB
Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by soccersounder 17/07/14, 05:05 pm

Borussia, congrats on the first James Rodriguez mention here in txsoccer.. On the day his Real Madrid deal was done even...

But none of the guys you mentioned had a chance to play other sports...

College Soccer is the ultimate realistic goal for our daughters... And in my brief experience, College coaches like to see the girls in other sports...
soccersounder
soccersounder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/07/14, 05:14 pm

So even not having a chance to play other sports didnt hinder them, or most of the rest of the world.

When our kids are spreading it out amongst every sport known to man, they were playing futsal, pick up games, wall ball alone in a street somewhere and look how they turned out.

Mine actually doent do any others, but thats jer choice. I offer, she says no, prefers girl scouts and her Kicks buds.

You are correct on the college path being the end of the line for 99% of them, but i see the skill of players being developed, soccer iq, love for the sport... I would like to think the coaches down the road will be looking for a different kind of player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiki-taka 17/07/14, 05:29 pm

Is taking "selfies" a sport? Then, a HUGE YES.

Tiki-taka
Tiki-taka
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver 17/07/14, 06:00 pm

Realistically the opportunity to play multiple sports ends early in HS. Only the top tier of athletes can normally compete for a roster spot in multiple varsity sports given the off season demands in the Metroplex. If you somehow have the talent, you still probably don't have the time.
Driver
Driver
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SocDad 17/07/14, 06:36 pm

What sport compliments Soccer the best/most? (please state your reasons and order of preference)

1.  Lacrosse
- Use the similar formations, having to rely on teammates, constantly moving adjusting, looking for angles to shoot and of course running.
2.  Basketball
-Use the similar formations, having to rely on teammates, constantly moving adjusting, looking for angles to shoot and of course running.
3.  Track & Field
- Running, can't think of anything else at the moment.
4.  Selfies
-always looks for better angles  Shocked
SocDad
SocDad
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FierceLightning 17/07/14, 07:22 pm

I am definitely in the multiple sports camp. My DD plays lacrosse, track and golf. I believe it is more mental than anything else. She is good in all of them so it gives her a sense of control and confidence. That, in the long run, will determine how far she goes in any of these sports....I personally hope it is golf...but her favorite by far is soccer!!

FierceLightning
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Inn Keeper 17/07/14, 07:51 pm

If your DD is a gk then there is volleyball. You work on your foot work/speed, hand/eye coordination, teamwork, punching/hitting and reaction. Swimming is also a fantastic work out without the pounding and stress on the body.
Multi sport all the way baby. I want a well rounded athlete as well as a well rounded student. DD is going to take English, Math and Science not just Biology.
Inn Keeper
Inn Keeper
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/07/14, 10:27 pm

+1 depends on the player.

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 18/07/14, 08:14 am

Depends on the player and also age. Generally it is good for a young kid to play multiple sports so they can find where their talent and passion lie.  They will also have to eventually decide do they want to try to be truly great at something or just play (jack of all trades).  A kid who just wants to play and enjoy sports is not broken.  Oh and any college coach who says he likes multi sport athletes is a liar. He only care about can he get her past the admissions board and can she help him win period.  Oh and as far a Z loyd goes soccer is an entirely different world today than when he was a kid.  I'll leave you with the thoughts of Bo Jackson

Asked about playing multiple sports:

I probably couldn’t, no,” Jackson said. “Just because the talent pool is that deep now. If my kids want to do both sports – ‘No. No. No.’ … If you try to do both you’re going to be riding the bench in both. You’ll never get to that level that you want to get to if you split your time between multiple sports.”

Jackson says the training is too specialized and intense. The time commitment too great. And most especially the talent pool is so deep that if you don’t focus all of your effort on one sport you have no chance at all.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by jsullivan81 18/07/14, 08:26 am

I hadnt thought about how sports these days outside of school is so labor intensive. Good point. I dont see how any kid could play multiple competetive sports outside of high school. Bo really does know.

jsullivan81
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by txtransplant 18/07/14, 08:31 am

IMO, there are a lot of variables at play. When people say multi sports, do they mean all of those sports at a competitive level? And if the answer is they don't do other sports, do they mean every ounce of their free time is dedicated to their primary sport and nothing else?

I'm all for multiple sports, but I've told my kids that I'm only paying "competitive level" money for one. They can pick whichever one they want, but if I'm sinking money into it, then it takes priority. So if they want to do 5-week tumbling class in the summer or play volleyball at the Y or have a pick-up basketball game with friends at the park and it doesn't interfere with the primary sport or activity, then sure, knock yourself out.
txtransplant
txtransplant
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 18/07/14, 08:33 am

Depends on you DD's reasons for playing and goals.  If her plan is to be on the US National team then 1 sport.

If she has other goals in life she will probably be fine playing multiple sports until high school when the time commitment would probably make her choose.  

I know of several D1 college scholarship players that played multiple sports for at least part of high school.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 18/07/14, 08:40 am

Lefty wrote:Depends on you DD's reasons for playing and goals.  If her plan is to be on the US National team then 1 sport.

If she has other goals in life she will probably be fine playing multiple sports until high school when the time commitment would probably make her choose.  

I know of several D1 college scholarship players that played multiple sports for at least part of high school.

Here is one problem. If you are just as good as a D1 scholorship soccer player today then as a kid you will not be good enough to play when you are their age. Times are changing and just being a outstanding athlete and a reasonably good soccer player is not enough. You will be left to compete with kids who are both.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 18/07/14, 08:41 am

InaB wrote:I wish there had been a third vote option for "It depends on the player." There are some sports that definitely compliment soccer - Track and Field for instance. Other than strategic thinking (which I am not sure really develops in the early teen years), I am not sure that there is much of a symbiotic relationship between other sports and soccer. Perhaps there is some connection between American Football and Soccer (especially with some teams I have watched on the soccer field).

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 18/07/14, 08:42 am

Academics needs to be considered when choosing to play multiple sports. Time commitment to be elite in multiple sports plus you must add academic time needed to perform in the classroom.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeko2 18/07/14, 08:45 am

My dd plays 3 sports.  Soccer, basketball and volleyball.  However, the only competitive one is soccer and the other two she played at the rec level.  I think it's hard to play more then one competitive sport because of the time required, but I see no problem adding in other rec or school sports.  For my dd, it has been nice to be able to mix it up a little and play with friends.  She's still in middle school so I have no idea what she may want in high school.  Who knows, she may pick something other then soccer so I think it's good to expose them to different sports.

Zeko2
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 18/07/14, 08:52 am

I will look at my son because he is older. the DA league mandates 4 practices a week. It's a year long season so weekend games and travel. Then he is finding futsal or small sided games to play with friends or gets bored and makes me go to the park to kick around or goes by himself. He actually does have to do school and then also need to be a kid so there is xbox time. When would you squeeze in another sport and how could you expect to compete against a kid who could easily be spending twice as much time on his craft than you?

He thought about track in jr high (thought it would keep him in shape) But the coach said they had to make all of the meets and practices and that wasn't possible with his soccer schedule. Besides he is just really fast and eventually he would have run into another kid who is very fast but also well trained and refined and who put in the time to reduce those half seconds.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 18/07/14, 08:56 am

I hope that's not the case. Track is a excellent cross training sport. It is also a individual sport, so hopefully a track coach is not stupid enough to make a kid choose.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by txtransplant 18/07/14, 09:02 am

Schools are definitely playing a role in this specialization.

The DD wanted to do cross country in middle school, but the mandates made it impossible. Especially since she was enrolled in band. The coaches would "work" with band, but outside activities, forget it.

So XC never happened and she's dropped out of band since she made soccer her priority, and she's only going into 8th grade. Sad
txtransplant
txtransplant
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 18/07/14, 09:04 am

Zizou wrote:I hope that's not the case. Track is a excellent cross training sport. It is also a individual sport, so hopefully a track coach is not stupid enough to make a kid choose.

Definitely the case. quickest kid in his class and didn't get to run
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 18/07/14, 09:06 am

Fortunately my DD in middle school both the school coaches and the club coach has been reasonably flexible in their approach with allowing her to run the meets and maintain her practice schedule.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 18/07/14, 09:09 am

go99 wrote:
Zizou wrote:I hope that's not the case. Track is a excellent cross training sport. It is also a individual sport, so hopefully a track coach is not stupid enough to make a kid choose.

Definitely the case.  quickest kid in his class and didn't get to run

That is a shame that a middle school coach made a poor decision for a young athlete. I would have had a little to say about that. Track is a individual sport where anyone who wants to run can. Whether you come in first or dead last a lap down.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next