North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele
ECNL Player ID Platform19/10/23, 02:34 pmsmugrr
Goalkeeper Wanted! 2007G Dallas Texans Soccer Team!10/10/23, 10:31 amDallas Texans East
BVB 09B Classic D305/10/23, 08:28 pmBdavis
Solar 14’ Rodriguez 19/09/23, 09:34 pmCHIVAS

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Turning a Rec Team into an "Independent" Team Pixel
Statistics
We have 15799 registered users
The newest registered user is Pancho83

Our users have posted a total of 205167 messages in 31957 subjects

Turning a Rec Team into an "Independent" Team

Go down

Turning a Rec Team into an "Independent" Team Empty Turning a Rec Team into an "Independent" Team

Post by Guest 04/12/11, 10:59 am

Other than, "Don't do it," does anyone have any insight into the struggles of taking a talented rec team in 2nd or 3rd grade and entering them into academy leagues with the hopes of qualifying for Lake Highlands D3 when they reach select?

Back to top Go down

Turning a Rec Team into an "Independent" Team Empty Re: Turning a Rec Team into an "Independent" Team

Post by ekkeeper1 04/12/11, 11:20 am

I dont know about rec teams playing academy, but i played 2 or 3 years on an independent when I was in high school. I guess i might have gotten lucky because the team i played on was hard working and we competed extremely well. They came out of rec i would say around 7th grade but i didnt play for them till I was a sophemore and i finished my club soccer with that team. They worked themselves up. There was no D 3 lake highlands at this time. My team competed we played in arlington (which was still somewhat compeitive at that point, not like it is now). We competed in touranments like Texas Cup and competed well with some of the D 2 teams. We even beat a few of them. Were we the best team nope, but i enjoyed playing with my team, and we had a successful few years together. Maybe this is just a rare thing as far as how my experience turned out. Every player on my team that wanted to play college even went on to play. Just because independent does not necisarily mean bad, seems in modern day those the clubs either convince those teams to join them, or certain players leave to play for the bigger clubs. Coaching on an independent team is important. Im sure there are some good coaches out there that could make an independent team successful. I can see good in going with an independent team, but I also know due to the current nature of N. Texas soccer its becoming id say maybe even more difficult.

In the case of academy the younger ages it may actually be easier to play with an independent then when older. Some groups can be successful with the right group, they have to be a little more committed then in rec.

ekkeeper1
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Turning a Rec Team into an "Independent" Team Empty Re: Turning a Rec Team into an "Independent" Team

Post by Guest 04/12/11, 02:30 pm

I saw this from another thread and it gave me hope.

"I agree with you on people not wanting to get involved. I was guilty of it. I have several nieces and nephews who grew up playing soccer and when I was approached about coaching them I said "HECK NO", too big of a commitment. When my dd began playing I knew if I didn't start coaching and building a quality team for her I would have to pay someone else later if I wanted her to play select in LHGCL. I'm glad I stepped up because of the many friends my dd and family have made. My plan 6 yrs ago when my dd was 4 paid off. We put two Div 1 teams in LHGCL and I don't have to pay for her to enjoy the beautiful game. I'm ready to do it all over again with my 05's and 06's. I'm also looking forward to helping my cousin make it happen with his 04's and 05's. Them little girls can flat out play."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 04/12/11, 10:06 pm

Tap_the_Brakes wrote:Other than, "Don't do it," does anyone have any insight into the struggles of taking a talented rec team in 2nd or 3rd grade and entering them into academy leagues with the hopes of qualifying for Lake Highlands D3 when they reach select?

The primary issue is securing a qualified coach. Someone who played a little in their youth and has great intentions may be shocked to find out just how challenging the competition is in D3. Plano is probably a more realistic goal for most startup teams. And the fact is, most qualified coaches will want to be paid. If you just happen to have a dad or mom coach associated with the team who truly knows what it takes to get the kids to LHGCL level, it may work out. Just be sure and make an honest assessment of that. And usually... ultimately... the team will have to recruit to get better players than the small pool involved with the rec team to get to the D3 level or above. Would the team be willing to cut a few who aren't up to the task? It can sure drive a wedge into friendships.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 04/12/11, 10:53 pm

Xara wrote:
Tap_the_Brakes wrote:Other than, "Don't do it," does anyone have any insight into the struggles of taking a talented rec team in 2nd or 3rd grade and entering them into academy leagues with the hopes of qualifying for Lake Highlands D3 when they reach select?

The primary issue is securing a qualified coach. Someone who played a little in their youth and has great intentions may be shocked to find out just how challenging the competition is in D3. Plano is probably a more realistic goal for most startup teams. And the fact is, most qualified coaches will want to be paid. If you just happen to have a dad or mom coach associated with the team who truly knows what it takes to get the kids to LHGCL level, it may work out. Just be sure and make an honest assessment of that. And usually... ultimately... the team will have to recruit to get better players than the small pool involved with the rec team to get to the D3 level or above. Would the team be willing to cut a few who aren't up to the task? It can sure drive a wedge into friendships.

It's more than just qualifications, pro experience, USSF/UEFA/NSCAA licenses etc...to do it successfully as an independent in ntx requires a massive time commitment and incredible patience. For one, you're going to have to do everything the big club coaches are doing...meaning multiple nights a week and most weekends are committed to your team. Year round.

For two, you're going to have to develop your own players because you won't get the steady stream showing up at your doorstep to replace the ones you cut...which means you'll need to invest even more time into those falling behind.

For three, you're going to need superior people skills than big club coaches because no matter how good your original core, you'll still need to recruit if you want to remain competitive at older ages.

It's a massive sacrifice and I can't imagine many people with all the necessary qualities would do it for free considering there is huge demand in NTX for the skill set. Once the big clubs are convinced you're good, and your girls are good, there's very little incentive for a coach to turn the inevitable offers down.

The ones that remain independent for the sake of their players, and do it successfully, are doing it the hard way and should be celebrated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joga14:55 05/12/11, 12:26 pm

First of all I admire anyone willing to do this. I have been coaching 3 teams independently since 08 & its like having a 2nd job. I do it for free its extremely challenging, I spend my evenings after work at the park, my weekends as well and I pretty much have no life out side of soccer and my day job. I love it. I have 07s, 04s who are going academy, 02s. I'd say go for it if u love it. PATIENCE IS A MUST. Lots of luck to you. Very Happy
Joga14:55
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05/12/11, 12:42 pm

Thanks for all of the insight so far. Please keep the posts coming.

Back to top Go down

Post by jm23jm 05/12/11, 12:46 pm

Tap_the_Brakes wrote:I saw this from another thread and it gave me hope.

"I agree with you on people not wanting to get involved. I was guilty of it. I have several nieces and nephews who grew up playing soccer and when I was approached about coaching them I said "HECK NO", too big of a commitment. When my dd began playing I knew if I didn't start coaching and building a quality team for her I would have to pay someone else later if I wanted her to play select in LHGCL. I'm glad I stepped up because of the many friends my dd and family have made. My plan 6 yrs ago when my dd was 4 paid off. We put two Div 1 teams in LHGCL and I don't have to pay for her to enjoy the beautiful game. I'm ready to do it all over again with my 05's and 06's. I'm also looking forward to helping my cousin make it happen with his 04's and 05's. Them little girls can flat out play."

Tap the brakes- keep the hope alive.

I started when my DD was 4 yrs old with the goal to make a LHGCL div 1.  Starting at 2nd and 3rd grade would be much tougher but not impossible. My team started out in rec but we jumped into academy right away    (SDL). I always requested to play against the toughest competition.  Wherever the top teams played my team was there. The biggest obstacle was hearing that our team will get picked apart before select.  I also started a 2nd team early bc you will not get all players with the same passion, dedication and work ethic. Plus it allowed me to pickup players with a lot of raw talent and give them plenty of playing time to develop their skills and develop a deep love for the game. I can't give our girls a break now. They want to play all the time.

jm23jm
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by jm23jm 05/12/11, 12:48 pm

Joga14:55 wrote:First of all I admire anyone willing to do this. I have been coaching 3 teams independently since 08 & its like having a 2nd job. I do it for free its extremely challenging, I spend my evenings after work at the park, my weekends as well and I pretty much have no life out side of soccer and my day job. I love it. I have 07s, 04s who are going academy, 02s. I'd say go for it if u love it. PATIENCE IS A MUST. Lots of luck to you. Very Happy
cheers cheers

jm23jm
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Joga14:55 05/12/11, 12:55 pm

Dallas Kicks is a prime example of a success story. Having started coaching my sf at u-10 I played against coach juan at the rev level. He is a class act and has done wonders with his team. Just make sure u have a great manager who shares your passion. I'm fortunate to have that.
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jm23jm 05/12/11, 01:29 pm

Joga14:55 wrote:Dallas Kicks is a prime example of a success story. Having started coaching my sf at u-10 I played against coach juan at the rev level. He is a class act and has done wonders with his team. Just make sure u have a great manager who shares your passion. I'm fortunate to have that.

Thank you Joga, what team do you coach?

I agree with you on the managers. They make our job a lot easier.

jm23jm
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by geno105 05/12/11, 01:58 pm

Joga14:55 wrote:Dallas Kicks is a prime example of a success story. Having started coaching my sf at u-10 I played against coach juan at the rev level. He is a class act and has done wonders with his team. Just make sure u have a great manager who shares your passion. I'm fortunate to have that.

Lady Aztecs and Meja are great examples of this as well. Both came out of the rec area for Garland Soccer Association beginning in U-6 and have been able to keep their prices reasonable through U-13.
geno105
geno105
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Joga14:55 05/12/11, 02:32 pm

geno105 wrote:

Lady Aztecs and Meja are great examples of this as well. Both came out of the rec area for Garland Soccer Association beginning in U-6 and have been able to keep their prices reasonable through U-13.

Yes I definitely agree with you. cheers
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05/12/11, 06:01 pm

jm23jm wrote:
Tap_the_Brakes wrote:I saw this from another thread and it gave me hope.

Tap the brakes- keep the hope alive.

I started when my DD was 4 yrs old with the goal to make a LHGCL div 1.  Starting at 2nd and 3rd grade would be much tougher but not impossible. My team started out in rec but we jumped into academy right away (SDL). I always requested to play against the toughest competition. Wherever the top teams played my team was there. The biggest obstacle was hearing that our team will get picked apart before select.  I also started a 2nd team early bc you will not get all players with the same passion, dedication and work ethic. Plus it allowed me to pickup players with a lot of raw talent and give them plenty of playing time to develop their skills and develop a deep love for the game. I can't give our girls a break now. They want to play all the time.
I seem to remember this differently. Wasn't it your team that was sandbagging in the rec leagues while simultaneously engaged in SDL so they could go onto win the rec-only Tournament of Champions? Wasn't that just about a year ago? Is that the "toughest competition" you're referencing? I take nothing away from what Kicks has accomplished as a select group of teams, but let's not attempt to re-write history in the process.

Back to top Go down

Post by jm23jm 05/12/11, 07:34 pm

Xara wrote:
I seem to remember this differently. Wasn't it your team that was sandbagging in the rec leagues while simultaneously engaged in SDL so they could go onto win the rec-only Tournament of Champions? Wasn't that just about a year ago? Is that the "toughest competition" you're referencing? I take nothing away from what Kicks has accomplished as a select group of teams, but let's not attempt to re-write history in the process.

One thing I've never been accused of is sandbagging. We did win tournament of champions but that was two years ago in '09. When we played rec our girls always played up. We moved up to u10 when our girls were 7 yrs old. Our 01 team played against 00 and 99's for one year. We could have stayed and sandbag for three more seasons and easily won another TOC but sandbagging is not for me.

jm23jm
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05/12/11, 09:00 pm

jm23jm wrote:
Xara wrote:

One thing I've never been accused of is sandbagging. We did win tournament of champions but that was two years ago in '09. When we played rec our girls always played up. We moved up to u10 when our girls were 7 yrs old. Our 01 team played against 00 and 99's for one year. We could have stayed and sandbag for three more seasons and easily won another TOC but sandbagging is not for me.

Really not that long ago, just a year-and-a-half; right? Playing up was never part of the question. It had more to do with whether or not Kicks was a rec team at the time or academy. We both know at that point, there was nothing rec about them. It would be like Sting winning the TOC and saying "but we played up". I was simply questioning your statement that you had always sought out the best competition. Picking off rec teams, even a year older, is easy money for just about any academy team. Enjoy your current success; you and your teams have earned it. But to indicate playing a top academy team in a rec league is not sandbagging is not being honest about the past.

Back to top Go down

Post by jm23jm 06/12/11, 08:02 am

Xara wrote:
jm23jm wrote:
Xara wrote:

Really not that long ago, just a year-and-a-half; right? Playing up was never part of the question. It had more to do with whether or not Kicks was a rec team at the time or academy. We both know at that point, there was nothing rec about them. It would be like Sting winning the TOC and saying "but we played up". I was simply questioning your statement that you had always sought out the best competition. Picking off rec teams, even a year older, is easy money for just about any academy team. Enjoy your current success; you and your teams have earned it. But to indicate playing a top academy team in a rec league is not sandbagging is not being honest about the past.

TOC 2011 was last weeek so it has been exactly 2yrs and a week ago.

We are just going to have to agree to disgree. From someone that wasn't on the team I can see why you would think of it like we were sandbagging. However, from soneone that was on the team you would know that our rec team wasn't exactly our sdl team. We had a couple of girls from Garland that played academy with us in SDL but played rec in DESA. We also had girls from Kicks White that played academy with Kicks Gold and rec on another team. SDL was when we could play together on the same team. I don't think you can compare our academy team to Sting or any other big club. The big clubs have a pipeline of players so they don't need to do rec.

jm23jm
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by pumas 08/12/11, 09:20 am

One thing I've never been accused of is sandbagging. We did win tournament of champions but that was two years ago in '09. When we played rec our girls always played up. We moved up to u10 when our girls were 7 yrs old. Our 01 team played against 00 and 99's for one year. We could have stayed and sandbag for three more seasons and easily won another TOC but sandbagging is not for me.[/quote

You played u7 vs u10? in a rec league?

pumas
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 08/12/11, 09:31 am

pumas wrote:
One thing I've never been accused of is sandbagging. We did win tournament of champions but that was two years ago in '09. When we played rec our girls always played up. We moved up to u10 when our girls were 7 yrs old. Our 01 team played against 00 and 99's for one year. We could have stayed and sandbag for three more seasons and easily won another TOC but sandbagging is not for me.[/quote

I read that several times too. In rec you can play up 1 year but only if the parents all sign waivers that state their acceptance. You cannot play more than 1 year up. If your association allowed a team to do that, while they may have been trying to be helpful, that's a rules violation. 1 year up is OK, anything more is not.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by jm23jm 08/12/11, 09:39 am

bigtex75081 wrote:
pumas wrote:

I read that several times too. In rec you can play up 1 year but only if the parents all sign waivers that state their acceptance. You cannot play more than 1 year up. If your association allowed a team to do that, while they may have been trying to be helpful, that's a rules violation. 1 year up is OK, anything more is not.

We moved up to u10 after u7 season. When u10 season started we should have been a u8 team, the girls were 7 turning 8 that year. There was no U9 division.

jm23jm
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 08/12/11, 09:45 am

jm23jm wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:
pumas wrote:

We moved up to u10 after u7 season. When u10 season started we should have been a u8 team, the girls were 7 turning 8 that year. There was no U9 division.
That does make more sense. Got it.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down