North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Clint Dempsey, one of BPL's best Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Clint Dempsey, one of BPL's best

Go down

Clint Dempsey, one of BPL's best Empty Clint Dempsey, one of BPL's best

Post by coachr 10/04/12, 08:53 am

So it's been a week or two since the Dempsey doubters stuck their heads out of their holes. Dempsey scored a brace Saturday then scored again yesterday against Chelsea. Since the beginning of the 2010-2011 season only Van Persie and Rooney have more goals.
Rumors of a 10£m move to Arsenal are in the air.
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Clint Dempsey, one of BPL's best Empty Re: Clint Dempsey, one of BPL's best

Post by oldboot 10/04/12, 09:49 am

coachr wrote:So it's been a week or two since the Dempsey doubters stuck their heads out of their holes. Dempsey scored a brace Saturday then scored again yesterday against Chelsea. Since the beginning of the 2010-2011 season only Van Persie and Rooney have more goals.
Rumors of a 10£m move to Arsenal are in the air.

So you admit he is only the third best player in the EPL . . .

Serioulsy, Dempsey may not be the greatest American player in the EPL, but he has clearly made a case for himself as the most successful American to play in the EPL.

How can anyone from this part of the world argue against a good ol' boy from East Texas showing up the Brits at their game. Even if he did play for the Texans Smile

oldboot
oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by fourfourtwo 10/04/12, 10:13 am

I hope Clint stays at Fulham, but then again, if he's ever going to get a legitimate shot at regular minutes in a top club, it's got to be now or never. He's risen to every challenge so far, and Arsenal is currently lacking depth at midfield. He's got a shot.

I still can't see Clint's style fitting a gooner first 11 mid. Spurs might be a better fit.

Just curious, who would go in front of Dempsey as best American player all time?

fourfourtwo
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunners 10/04/12, 10:26 am

fourfourtwo wrote:I hope Clint stays at Fulham, but then again, if he's ever going to get a legitimate shot at regular minutes in a top club, it's got to be now or never. He's risen to every challenge so far, and Arsenal is currently lacking depth at midfield. He's got a shot. He might start on the left, but would be a tough choice between him and Theo on the right (in current form no doubt it's Deuce). Certainly don't think he'd start ahead of Wilshire, Arteta, or Song in the middle.

I still can't see Clint's style fitting a gooner first 11 mid. Spurs might be a better fit. When Spurs don't make the Champions League and Bale/Modric leave this might be his best bet. As an Arsenal fan, I would hate to see him at Spuds!

Just curious, who would go in front of Dempsey as best American player all time?

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by oldboot 10/04/12, 10:40 am

fourfourtwo wrote:I hope Clint stays at Fulham, but then again, if he's ever going to get a legitimate shot at regular minutes in a top club, it's got to be now or never. He's risen to every challenge so far, and Arsenal is currently lacking depth at midfield. He's got a shot.

I still can't see Clint's style fitting a gooner first 11 mid. Spurs might be a better fit.

I read that he wants to play for one of the top three so he can compete in the Champions League. my DD would tell you that the best American player to compete in the EPL is Landon Donovan. I would love to see Donovan play a full season or two in the EPL in order to make a better comparison.

I think Dempsey's main competition for "best" American player would be from American keepers (apples to oranges comparison?): Tim Howard, Brad Friedel and Marcus Hahnemann.

The only others I am aware of that might be worthy of comparison are Brian McBride or Jay Demerit

As far as field players go, Dempsey would be my choice.
oldboot
oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 10/04/12, 11:12 am

fourfourtwo wrote:Just curious, who would go in front of Dempsey as best American player all time?
In the discussion with Clint Dempsey...
Brad Friedel
Claudio Reyna
John Harkes
Brian McBride
Kasey Keller
Joe-Max Moore
Thomas Dooley
Landon Donovan
Tab Ramos
Tim Howard
Eric Wynalda

Dempsey is playing great but it is still early in his career. Some of these guys have had very long careers and I think longevity should count for a little extra something.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 10/04/12, 11:34 am

bigtex75081 wrote:
fourfourtwo wrote:Just curious, who would go in front of Dempsey as best American player all time?
In the discussion with Clint Dempsey...
Brad Friedel
Claudio Reyna
John Harkes
Brian McBride
Kasey Keller
Joe-Max Moore
Thomas Dooley
Landon Donovan
Tab Ramos
Tim Howard
Eric Wynalda

Dempsey is playing great but it is still early in his career. Some of these guys have had very long careers and I think longevity should count for a little extra something.
You are correct and when he does leave England he'll have 2-3 times more goals than anyone on your list. That should lock up number 1? Nope. He already did. Landycakes is too late to the party. Old man Brad is the top keeper followed by Timmy
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sent to the Stands 10/04/12, 11:41 am

I think the issue is not longevity in general (i.e. total career - all leagues), but results in the EPL.
Sent to the Stands
Sent to the Stands
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/04/12, 01:29 pm

Gunners wrote:
fourfourtwo wrote:I hope Clint stays at Fulham, but then again, if he's ever going to get a legitimate shot at regular minutes in a top club, it's got to be now or never. He's risen to every challenge so far, and Arsenal is currently lacking depth at midfield. He's got a shot. He might start on the left, but would be a tough choice between him and Theo on the right (in current form no doubt it's Deuce). Certainly don't think he'd start ahead of Wilshire, Arteta, or Song in the middle.

I still can't see Clint's style fitting a gooner first 11 mid. Spurs might be a better fit. When Spurs don't make the Champions League and Bale/Modric leave this might be his best bet. As an Arsenal fan, I would hate to see him at Spuds!

Don't forget The Ox or Podolski on the left. ...

Back to top Go down

Post by the7wolf 10/04/12, 05:19 pm

If nothing else, the Brits have come to respect the Yanks playing soccerball a lot more in the past few years since Deuce and Landy-Cakes turned it on. London and Merseyside are two notoriously soccer-heavy cities where being glassed in the face for having a difference of opinion isn't always frowned upon. Friedel has had a heck of a season at Spurs but then American goalkeepers have always had good respect overseas.

Happy to see Dempsey so popular at the club. Don't know if it would be better for him to become a legend at Fulham or move elsewhere and risk being a bit-player.

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

http://www.thewolfandtheshepherd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/04/12, 05:29 pm

Arsenal chief Scout Steve Rowley confirms Interest Clint Dempsey and are willing to negotiate around the £10Million Mark

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 10/04/12, 05:30 pm

Looks like Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and Newcastle are sniffing deuces shorts. The Daily Mail calls him a top performer:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2127927/Arsenal-close-Fulhams-Clint-Dempsey.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
The Telegraph's take:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9196516/Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wenger-is-monitoring-Fulham-forward-Clint-Dempsey.html
The Guardian:
http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/09/football-transfer-rumours?cat=football&type=article
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 10/04/12, 06:15 pm

As of this posting, there are 707 fresh google search news articles about Clint's transfer situation.

Ehhhhemmmm.

coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunners 13/04/12, 09:31 am

Figured some might find this article relevant to this thread.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/grant_wahl/04/13/us.performances/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down