North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Monkey in the Middle.  The best soccer drill ever? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Monkey in the Middle. The best soccer drill ever?

Go down

Monkey in the Middle.  The best soccer drill ever? Empty Monkey in the Middle. The best soccer drill ever?

Post by KSD 02/08/12, 12:56 pm

I once had a discussion with a well established Academy/Select level coach who told me he wouldn't be caught dead having his girls play a game like "monkey in the middle" during his practices. He went on to say this isn't rec, you know.

I didn't give that conversation much more thought until I read these words from Xavi who refers to what we call Monkey in the Middle as 'rondo, rondo, rondo'.

Xavi was quoted as saying, "Rondo, rondo, rondo. Every. Single. Day. It's the best exercise there is. You learn responsibility and not to lose the ball. If you lose the ball, you go in the middle. Pum-pum-pum-pum, always one touch. If you go in the middle, it's humiliating, the rest applaud and laugh at you."

So, what do you think? Should our Academy and Select aged DD's be playing Monkey in the Middle every single day? Or is that too rec?

Oh, and check out Barca, playing a little rondo, rondo, rondo:

KSD
KSD
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Monkey in the Middle.  The best soccer drill ever? Empty Re: Monkey in the Middle. The best soccer drill ever?

Post by go99 02/08/12, 01:06 pm

excellent. BB's team starts most every practice with that as the warmup. DD's team does it occasionally. Wish they did it every practice.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Monkey in the Middle.  The best soccer drill ever? Empty Re: Monkey in the Middle. The best soccer drill ever?

Post by Guest 02/08/12, 01:12 pm

Every single day? Something to consider is that Xavi is a great player... not a great coach. Sure, Monkey-in-the-Middle is a good drill if it is played correctly: 4-6 players on the ouside and compact, covering an area no larger than 10-12 yards across. Even better to have two in the middle so players are constantly getting it stolen and having to react faster.

But Monkey-in-the-Middle can be a lousy drill if it's not setup correctly and managed by the coach. As a pre-game warmup, I see situations in which a player gets stuck in the middle of a large group and ends up working to the point of exhaustion. This drill also reinforces the idea of passing and standing instead of passing and moving. There are much better variations that involve a run after each pass. Personally, I often see the standard Monkey-in-the-Middle drill as a lazy fallback exercise for coaches, and it seems to be used far more in select warmups than in rec.

Back to top Go down

Post by lostntexas 02/08/12, 09:12 pm

Well put, it's don't support the pass and move drill ..waste of time .IMO
lostntexas
lostntexas
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 02/08/12, 11:14 pm

I think the barca version is used as a warm up and focuses on the touch only. Should be done with a tight circle and one touch. Two touches at the most. The turn over in the middle will actually be quite fast. There is plenty of time to work on drills for movement. If the teams overall touch can be that good in that small of a space it will allow you to do what barcelona does. And Xavi wasn't giving his opinion as a coach but relaying his experience as a player coming thru the Barca system.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by dadof3 02/08/12, 11:20 pm

IMO it depends on what you are using it for. To tell 8 year olds "go over there, stand still, and play 7 v 2 on a large grid" is terrible, but to do it with constant movement in tight space where the defenders cover the grid in 3-4 steps is different.

As a foot quickening warm up, or as a drill to teach reading subtle movement and expose space between players and one touch passing, it has value. From this drill you can move into possession/support pretty easily, and progression in drills that ultimately mimic game situations, have value.
dadof3
dadof3
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by lostntexas 02/08/12, 11:24 pm

I guess it's up to the coach, and depends on what level your team is on....
lostntexas
lostntexas
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by dadof3 02/08/12, 11:27 pm

If you can play like Barca, any drill looks worthwhile!
dadof3
dadof3
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 4-4-2-Diamond 03/08/12, 06:50 am

Xara wrote:Every single day? Something to consider is that Xavi is a great player... not a great coach. Sure, Monkey-in-the-Middle is a good drill if it is played correctly: 4-6 players on the ouside and compact, covering an area no larger than 10-12 yards across. Even better to have two in the middle so players are constantly getting it stolen and having to react faster.

But Monkey-in-the-Middle can be a lousy drill if it's not setup correctly and managed by the coach. As a pre-game warmup, I see situations in which a player gets stuck in the middle of a large group and ends up working to the point of exhaustion. This drill also reinforces the idea of passing and standing instead of passing and moving. There are much better variations that involve a run after each pass. Personally, I often see the standard Monkey-in-the-Middle drill as a lazy fallback exercise for coaches, and it seems to be used far more in select warmups than in rec.

Any activity can be lousy if not setup correctly and managed by the coach. There is no universal "correctly" organized Rondo. There are infinite variations and a good coach tailors the configuration to the needs of the team. One player stuck in a 7v1 Rondo in large spaces working herself to exhaustion has to be rare at select levels. I usually pay close attention to coaches, and I've never seen it. Any coach worth his salt knows how to configure Rondos to emphasize movement.

Parents don't typically spend the time to comprehend the various layers behind why coaches do what they do, but there is a reason Rondos are used as a fundamental teaching tool at every level of the game. Hate to be an arse, but you guys are way off on this one.

4-4-2-Diamond
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 03/08/12, 08:31 am

the only thing i see wrong with it is the name. I do not feel it is politically correct anymore to call it monkey in the middle with young kids. keep away, possession, or 7v1 but not monkey in the middle! just my opinion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 03/08/12, 08:56 am

totalsoccer wrote:the only thing i see wrong with it is the name. I do not feel it is politically correct anymore to call it monkey in the middle with young kids. keep away, possession, or 7v1 but not monkey in the middle! just my opinion

Frankly that's idiotic. How about androgynous nonspecific humanoid bipedal in the middle would that spare your precious feelings? Sheesh give up the pc crap already

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 03/08/12, 09:23 am

silentparent wrote:
totalsoccer wrote:the only thing i see wrong with it is the name. I do not feel it is politically correct anymore to call it monkey in the middle with young kids. keep away, possession, or 7v1 but not monkey in the middle! just my opinion

Frankly that's idiotic. How about androgynous nonspecific humanoid bipedal in the middle would that spare your precious feelings? Sheesh give up the pc crap already

I respect your opinion and i agree its probably not that big of a deal. I although choose not to call it that! "just my opinion"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 03/08/12, 10:14 am

Political correctness has run amok. It makes me want to puke. There are people of every race (certainly including anglos), ethnicity, and religion that are just looking for an excuse to be offended. If you want to walk around on egg shells, that's your call. The rest of us will have the gravitas to speak our minds with sensible intentions and let the others whine about our so called lack of sensitivity. A nation of victims.

Back to top Go down

Post by oldboot 03/08/12, 10:24 am

I resemble that remark!

"Keep away" refers to a broad range of sports that may include, but not be limited to, monkey in the middle, soccer, American football among others, similar to the broad category of "racquette sports," which include tennis, squash, etc. Monkey in the middle is the most famous keep away sport and is very often (and mistakenly) referred to as "keep away." The name of the game varies with region. In the United States, the descriptive name Keep Away seems to prevail, while Canadian children commonly refer to the game as either Pig in the Middle (Western Canada) or Monkey in the Middle (Eastern Canada, parts of New England, and parts of the Midwest). In the UK and Australia, the name Piggy in the Middle is used (almost) exclusively. The game is also common in Turkey under a name which translates to Rat in the Middle, in Denmark where it is known as what translates into Butter blob, in the Netherlands they call it "Aap in het Midden" [lit: "Monkey in the Middle"] and Silly Johnny in Poland.

While the name Keep Away is self-explanatory, the origin of some of the other titles are less clear. Monkey in the Middle is likely to have arisen because the middle player jumps and waves his arms around like a monkey or ape. The names Piggy in the Middle and Pickle in a Dish are of unknown derivation.

"Pickle in the middle" derives from a baseball game... where the runner is "caught between bases" (he is in a "pickle")!

oldboot
oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/08/12, 06:23 pm

silentparent wrote:

^^ genius but seems difficult to say and that might exclude my DD and I would then be offended.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/08/12, 09:44 am

I agree with Xavi and posters that suggest this drill, whatever you choose to call it, has value at any level, but much more so with older players if approached with deliberateness, an attention to details: soft touches, playing with your head up, pressure passing, anticipating, moving off the ball, and so on. But isn't that always the case? It's in the details.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 31/08/12, 07:45 pm

kellersoccerdad wrote:I once had a discussion with a well established Academy/Select level coach who told me he wouldn't be caught dead having his girls play a game like "monkey in the middle" during his practices. He went on to say this isn't rec, you know.

I didn't give that conversation much more thought until I read these words from Xavi who refers to what we call Monkey in the Middle as 'rondo, rondo, rondo'.

Xavi was quoted as saying, "Rondo, rondo, rondo. Every. Single. Day. It's the best exercise there is. You learn responsibility and not to lose the ball. If you lose the ball, you go in the middle. Pum-pum-pum-pum, always one touch. If you go in the middle, it's humiliating, the rest applaud and laugh at you."

So, what do you think? Should our Academy and Select aged DD's be playing Monkey in the Middle every single day? Or is that too rec?

Oh, and check out Barca, playing a little rondo, rondo, rondo:

We don't care what Barca does. What does Real Madrid do?

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down