North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
+27790324557 MEET A PROFESSIONA PSYCHIC, SPIRITUAL HEALER ON28/12/23, 07:07 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557STRONG LOVE SPELLS FOR RELATIONSHIPS AND LOVE WH28/12/23, 06:58 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557WE ARE THE ILLUMINATI, REGISTER AS A NEW MEMBER 28/12/23, 06:53 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557THIS IS THE ILLUMINATI JOINING POINT 28/12/23, 06:46 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557 THE REAL ILLUMINATI WHATSAPP NO TO CONTACT US28/12/23, 06:37 amkawayidamirrows
THE REAL ILLUMINATI WHATSAPP NO TO CONTACT US ONLINE IS+277928/12/23, 06:28 amkawayidamirrows
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Sever's disease Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Kewb11

Our users have posted a total of 205165 messages in 31955 subjects

Sever's disease

Go down

Sever's disease Empty Sever's disease

Post by Guest 02/08/12, 02:43 pm

My '03 daughter's right heel/achilles tends to develop some pain during the season. Her doctor says it is Sever's disease- related to her quickly growing feet (wears the same size shoe as her mother). We have researched on the internet and understand that rest is the best, but was wondering if any other parents have dealt with this issue. Any suggestions? How long did it last (through puberty- a year- during growth spurts)? Did you switch shoes (we have gone from cleats to turf shoes)? Any exercises or stretches you found that help?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Back to top Go down

Sever's disease Empty Re: Sever's disease

Post by Guest 02/08/12, 02:48 pm

Infinity04Dad wrote:My '03 daughter's right heel/achilles tends to develop some pain during the season. Her doctor says it is Sever's disease- related to her quickly growing feet (wears the same size shoe as her mother). We have researched on the internet and understand that rest is the best, but was wondering if any other parents have dealt with this issue. Any suggestions? How long did it last (through puberty- a year- during growth spurts)? Did you switch shoes (we have gone from cleats to turf shoes)? Any exercises or stretches you found that help?

Rest is the best, but some things that might work for you. Healcups, practicing in turfs, running in tennis shoes, theraputic inserts ( can be expensive ), advil and RICE ( rest, ice, compression, elevation )HTP heal seats, and orthopedic shoes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seven 02/08/12, 02:58 pm

Rest is the sure way to relieve the pain. The heal cups helped my DD. she never had to stop wearing cleats but we do avoid blades as they seem to cause problems. She started have trouble around 8 yrs old and it went on for about a year. She is U13 now and has not complained of severs in a few years.
Seven
Seven
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagleeye 02/08/12, 03:03 pm

Infinity04Dad wrote:My '03 daughter's right heel/achilles tends to develop some pain during the season. Her doctor says it is Sever's disease- related to her quickly growing feet (wears the same size shoe as her mother). We have researched on the internet and understand that rest is the best, but was wondering if any other parents have dealt with this issue. Any suggestions? How long did it last (through puberty- a year- during growth spurts)? Did you switch shoes (we have gone from cleats to turf shoes)? Any exercises or stretches you found that help?

My DD is going into U15 and has had the issue come and go, primarily during tourney's and camps where there is a lot of ongoing daily activity. We have used a foot stretcher as well as the excellent RICE advice given bt total above. Make sure she is always in good footware. We use inserts in her cleats with regularity. It has been managable, but bladed cleates seem to intensify the problem.
Eagleeye
Eagleeye
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dadof3 02/08/12, 03:36 pm

My son (and a few of the boys and girls on our various teams) have gone through it, and it is a battle. As above, rest is best, but turf shoes (since when to they actually rest) and gel inserts do help...one thing not mentioned is that going barefoot whenever possible helped our kiddos.

I think the barefoot thing stretches their feet naturally-flip flops were awful since the kids curl toes to keep them on which seems to exacerbate it.
dadof3
dadof3
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiki-taka 02/08/12, 04:22 pm

My DD had Sever's for most of Spring U11 Season. It intensified during tournaments this past May. I told her to stop being a wuss, and that worked. (I'm kidding)

We went to a foot doctor. Here's what we did and she is now fine:

Heel Inserts
Foot stretcher (she uses it as soon as she wakes up)
No Blade cleats
No Flip flops or sliders

She began to be pain free after about a month and half, and now she doesn't feel any pain or discomfort.

Please send me your co-pay of $35! Smile
Tiki-taka
Tiki-taka
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 02/08/12, 04:28 pm

Tiki-taka wrote:My DD had Sever's for most of Spring U11 Season. It intensified during tournaments this past May. I told her to stop being a wuss, and that worked. (I'm kidding)

Heel Inserts
No Blade cleats
No Flip flops or sliders

She began to be pain free after about a month and half, and now she doesn't feel any pain or discomfort.

Nice!

Back to top Go down

Post by dadof3 02/08/12, 04:37 pm

One more activity that actually helped-trampoline...I mean wear a crash helmet and armor, but the stretching was key!

BTW-glad I got my comment in before the bill...
dadof3
dadof3
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by #9156 02/08/12, 10:59 pm

My DD suffered with Severs for about 6 months last fall. We did all the things mentioned above. Definitely get the gel heel cups & NO flip-flops, ever!! The one thing that I swear was the "fix" was buying Asics tennis shoes for school / everyday wear and Asics cleats for soccer. Google Asics & watch the videos about the 10 rise that Asics have. The cleats are pricey though, but worth it to us! You might check, I heard Soccer Corner in Southlake was suppose to start stocking them & Dicks's had a few sizes but only 1 style at the start of June.

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Game 02/08/12, 11:32 pm

STRETCHING…. before her feet hit the floor in the mornings. Just google Severs disease and check out stretches online. My DD didn't suffer long due to starting stretches immediately. Osgood-Schlatter Disease may be next which is the same thing in the knee. Stretching is the key to this one too. It doesn't seem like the young ones would need to stretch out sooo much, but these growing bones and active legs need the extra care.
Good Game
Good Game
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by texflats 03/08/12, 06:42 am

Heel cups. Forced rest via "the boot".
texflats
texflats
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by LonDrew 03/08/12, 11:36 am

Tiki-taka wrote:My DD had Sever's for most of Spring U11 Season. It intensified during tournaments this past May. I told her to stop being a wuss, and that worked. (I'm kidding)

Heel Inserts
No Blade cleats
No Flip flops or sliders

Our DD (now age 15) was given this same list by the doctor, and we followed it to the letter. Results were great. She's worn only adidas copa turf shoes for the past several years, but she keeps a pair of cleats (round studs) for extremely wet/muddy conditions. She uses her fitted heel inserts in all of her athletic shoes.
LonDrew
LonDrew
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ledger 03/08/12, 07:09 pm

LonDrew wrote:

Heel Inserts
No Blade cleats
No Flip flops or sliders

Our DD (now age 15) was given this same list by the doctor, and we followed it to the letter. Results were great. She's worn only adidas copa turf shoes for the past several years, but she keeps a pair of cleats (round studs) for extremely wet/muddy conditions. She uses her fitted heel inserts in all of her athletic shoes.

Our dd has also gone through two pairs of the Adidas Copa cleats and they helped her a lot. We bought a boot type thing that you can sleep in and it stretches your heel. She seemed to think that helped. We also have been through Osgood Schlautters and she had to sit out for about six weeks. The doctor told us it was due to overuse about fifty times. We took the conservative approach and pulled her for awhile and she hasn't had any more problems.

ledger
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Just an Observer 03/08/12, 09:35 pm

My '97 had lots of problems when she was younger. We tried all the stretching, etc. and finally googled "sever's" online. Try the natural supplement Oscon (www.kidsheelpain.com.) It cleared up her pain in less than 2 weeks.

Just an Observer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 04/08/12, 08:25 am

Heel Inserts
No Blade cleats
No Flip flops or sliders

Your doctor put your daughter on an excellent regimen. I've heard of this working for many other young athletes - especially getting away from bladed cleats, flip-flops, and bare feet. Perhaps you would be so kind as to post the doctor's name. Many other physicians are only too quick to sell you their brand of ortho inserts when in fact a change in shoes can be far more useful. Sever's Disease (really not a disease; just a growing issue) can be managed well such that it is more of an occasional nuisance than a chronic pain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13/08/12, 10:15 pm

Thank you for all of the advice. I appreciate the serious reponses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum