North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

State of Refs - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

State of Refs

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

State of Refs - Page 2 Empty Re: State of Refs

Post by soccersounder 13/09/12, 02:21 pm

Coach&Ref wrote:
Way to dump on your fellow Refs...

Where do you suppose the young Ref's you spoke badly of learn and become better Refs??

I have Ref'd with you before and you do not "always" do the older games... You mention how other Ref's are bad in so many ways, but say that you are a good Ref. Sounds like the Coach in you. Meaning: you try to Ref like you would like to see Refs do it as a coach. And the few times I've been in your crew, I never seen you huddle both teams up before the game. You are very correct in that the ARs are very important and never get the positve credit, only the negative..

Just know that at least 1 in 3 games the coaches AND the parent's here in txsoccer think you sucked.... Just like the rest of the Refs Wink

I have no idea who you are and when and where you have reffed with me. Obviously, I was not started out reffing at the level I said as most refs do not. I actually don't know one ref who was ever immediately certified that started reffing at a higher level, so what you are saying is technically correct, but now wrong. I don't accept games under that level if you "know me". The only caveat to that is that if I am a standby and needed for a u12 or u14 game that no one has shown up for, so if that is the case you are talking about, then there you go. Also, I may be needed to take a lower level game in tournaments, just like I have seen grade 6 or grade 4s do on occasion.

If you have reffed with me, then you know that what I said is EXACTLY how I ref. There has almost NEVER been a coach that has been happy with a game or ref if the coach and parents are just that type that likes to blame a ref for everything and if you have ever Centered, then I think you should know that. As far as your 1 in 3 games record is concerned, that is probably the best thing you can say about me given how many coaches and parents want to blame the refs for the outcome. I challenge you to find me a ref who has a record of reffing games that all parents and coaches think they have done a great job every time. When I line for other refs, I hear almost EVERY game from someone about how bad the center sucked, so that is really a good record for a Center! If you know me, you would know that I have even reffed against the club I coached for and the coach I knew very well said that after the game, he thought it was well reffed, even though they lost on both occasions. Also, I have been asked to and reffed games between teams that absolutely HATED each other because of my style and there hasn't been any problems. I would also like to ask you how many games have you reffed with me that a fight has broken out or there has been ANY incident where I had to break up two players when I was Centering.

I have developed my philosophy over the years on how I ref now because I have both seen and done some of the things I have mentioned. I was never the ref to pull out the cards immediately in my early days, but I was the one who "let the kids play". I found that didn't work for the reasons I gave. That's what led me to change my tactics.

As far as "dumping on my fellow refs" is concerned, let me address the teenagers and grade 9s first. I think being a teen ref is awesome. They love the game and want to experience it in a different manner. They can make some money while doing what they enjoy. The problem with them arises when they get 35-40yo men and women screaming at them for bad calls. They are taught to respect their elders, yet are put in positions that give them ultimate power on the pitch. What they say or do is the law and nothing can change that. I hope you can see the catch 22. A lot of times they get severely rattled and start making even worse calls or let the coach and parents influence them. It takes a STRONG personality to be that young and control a game. This is why a lot of teen refs quit. They can't handle the parents and coaches. This is why I give them instructions before the match that ALWAYS includes the following, "If you hear any remarks directed at you, then raise your flag, call me over and tell me. I will deal with it." I don't allow ANY of my teen ARs get abused. For the most part, this has worked with some success. I have seen a lot of teen refs just not want to report any snide remarks made to them where I can hear them.

As far as the old fat refs are concerned, I'd like to ask you a question. "When have you seen these types of refs reffing a higher level game on a large pitch that get up and down the pitch with the older boys/girls?" I sure haven't seen it. I see them reffing the young ages where the pitch is small and they hardly have to leave the center circle. They also walk to set plays. I'm betting most parents can back me up on this one. I'm not saying they shouldn't be out there, but I'm just letting the parents know what they probably are seeing and why they might be getting frustrated.

Remember, I am just giving my opinion on why parents may be feeling what they are, especially at the younger competitive ages and that as their kids get older, the refs will be more experienced (in general) and will overall be better than what they may be experiencing now. You may have a different opinion, but I'd like you to chime in on the original poster's comments as a fellow ref and give some solace to these parents as to what they may be experiencing from your point of view.

soccersounder, I forgot to address two points you made. First I never said "I" was a good ref. Go re-read my post. I said that a "good ref" will establish a rapport with the team and coach before and during the game. I went on to just give an example of how I try to accomplish this.

Also, the other big issue is that you don't need to be speaking about what other refs think about me. If you knew any better, you would ALWAYS speak for yourself and NEVER for anyone else. You won't get far in any business if you go into your boss and say, "Well, I'm not the only one who thinks this way or everyone else thinks so too!" Speak only for yourself and not for others.

I appriciate your response.

You ask a question above, my response:

I believe it falls on the Assignor.. I see plenty of 20 something Refs out at PPL. And plenty of the, as you call them, old farts in Classic League. The Assignor knows the age of these Refs and needs to get out and assess... Then make some changes and shuffle his Ref Deck

soccersounder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 13/09/12, 02:28 pm

I appriciate your response.

You ask a question above, my response:

I believe it falls on the Assignor.. I see plenty of 20 something Refs out at PPL. And plenty of the, as you call them, old farts in Classic League. The Assignor knows the age of these Refs and needs to get out and assess... Then make some changes and shuffle his Ref Deck

Agreed. More assessing would be nice. I haven't seen enough of it.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 13/09/12, 09:09 pm

soccerman771 wrote:For the record here as a fellow referee, it's easy for people to dump on us. You really should know that we really don't care to have the parent's input about foul recognition or which way a throw-in should go, or why that wasn't a card on their dd. We don't care because it only congests the game and we hear all kinds of stuff about that and almost all of the input given is incorrect. Heck, I heard a coach ask for a red card for too many players on the field after a water break the other day. Funny stuff.

For those of you that like to complain about referees - do you also hold your coaches to the same standard of coaching? When they put players in the wrong positions or try bad strategies that don't work and you lose the game because of it, do you make sure they hear you from the sidelines?

Try to learn the game and enjoy watching them play and develop as players and human beings. Stop worrying so much about "bad calls" and wins and losses. In the end, those things don't mean near as much to the kids as your support of them on the field...

/rant
I'll say there are a lot of moron parents that don't know the rules but I'll also say you sound like a douche.
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 13/09/12, 09:21 pm

coachr wrote:I'll say there are a lot of moron parents that don't know the rules but I'll also say you sound like a douche.

Hey coachr - my new avatar is just for you geek
Blank77
Blank77
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 13/09/12, 09:25 pm

Blank77 wrote:
coachr wrote:I'll say there are a lot of moron parents that don't know the rules but I'll also say you sound like a douche.

Guess I better call Saul!
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sooner than later 13/09/12, 09:33 pm

Sooner than later
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 13/09/12, 10:09 pm

coachr wrote:
Blank77 wrote:

Guess I better call Saul!

Remember, it'S all Good-Man bounce
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerman771 14/09/12, 08:10 am

coachr wrote:
soccerman771 wrote:For the record here as a fellow referee, it's easy for people to dump on us. You really should know that we really don't care to have the parent's input about foul recognition or which way a throw-in should go, or why that wasn't a card on their dd. We don't care because it only congests the game and we hear all kinds of stuff about that and almost all of the input given is incorrect. Heck, I heard a coach ask for a red card for too many players on the field after a water break the other day. Funny stuff.

For those of you that like to complain about referees - do you also hold your coaches to the same standard of coaching? When they put players in the wrong positions or try bad strategies that don't work and you lose the game because of it, do you make sure they hear you from the sidelines?

Try to learn the game and enjoy watching them play and develop as players and human beings. Stop worrying so much about "bad calls" and wins and losses. In the end, those things don't mean near as much to the kids as your support of them on the field...

/rant
I'll say there are a lot of moron parents that don't know the rules but I'll also say you sound like a douche.

Yeah, and the internet is great for getting to know people. My point is, that as a referee there is nothing positive that can come from me engaging the parents about disputed calls. Nothing. People on the sidelines really want to influence the game be it on the coaches side or the parents side. I've had coaches argue for a call just to influence the CR when I was AR1 and then come back ten minutes later and say, I know he wasn't offside, I just have to do that to get to the ref and do my job. It's not his job. Nor is it the parents'. It's the guy with the whistle. Yeah, we get stuff wrong. Few people call a perfect game, even at the top level. Heck, in WC 2010 we had Nigel De Jong karate kick a guy 5 feet in front of the referee in the World Cup final and only get a yellow. Learn the laws of the game and try and enjoy it and pass along knowledge to the rest of the sideline in an unbiased manner.

soccerman771
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 14/09/12, 08:42 am

soccerman771 wrote: Heck, in WC 2010 we had Nigel De Jong karate kick a guy 5 feet in front of the referee in the World Cup final and only get a yellow.

You'll have to forgive me as I am new to soccer and my only real experience is LHGCL, so karate kicking a player is foul - even a card? Wow, who knew?
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by textigerfan 14/09/12, 08:59 am

Blank77 wrote:
soccerman771 wrote: Heck, in WC 2010 we had Nigel De Jong karate kick a guy 5 feet in front of the referee in the World Cup final and only get a yellow.

You'll have to forgive me as I am new to soccer and my only real experience is LHGCL, so karate kicking a player is foul - even a card? Wow, who knew?

Scoreboard! haha.
textigerfan
textigerfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerman771 14/09/12, 09:26 am

Blank77 wrote:

Depends. Is the guy a yellow belt or a red belt? tongue

soccerman771
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinnochio 14/09/12, 09:51 am

Coach&Ref wrote:
Way to dump on your fellow Refs...

Where do you suppose the young Ref's you spoke badly of learn and become better Refs??

I have Ref'd with you before and you do not "always" do the older games... You mention how other Ref's are bad in so many ways, but say that you are a good Ref. Sounds like the Coach in you. Meaning: you try to Ref like you would like to see Refs do it as a coach. And the few times I've been in your crew, I never seen you huddle both teams up before the game. You are very correct in that the ARs are very important and never get the positve credit, only the negative..

Just know that at least 1 in 3 games the coaches AND the parent's here in txsoccer think you sucked.... Just like the rest of the Refs Wink

As far as the old fat refs are concerned

Maybe you do know him after all
Pinnochio
Pinnochio
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 14/09/12, 09:54 am

/rant

My personal opinion is that I think NTX is taking the fun out of weekend soccer. I understand that a few parents have issues but NTX needs to take this up with those individual parents. Band them from attending games for a year or whatever. I don't have problems with parents yelling and screaming at games. All sports have fans that yell and scream at calls and they don't dismiss fans from MLS games, NFL games, College football, basketball and other sports even High school.

I feel that if you're reffing you should be able to handle it or ignore it. I understand that there are special situations when a particular parent is hammering you over and over again. That's different and should be addressed. But for parents to disagree on a throw in and then then referee have a fit, get over it and just call your game. Don't take it personally.

I approach my games in the same manner that "coach&ref" mentioned earlier and have NEVER EVER thrown a coach out of a game. I've NEVER EVER thrown a parent out of a game. Have I had to talk to a parent once or twice yes but I feel comfortable enough to know how to defuse the situation. If you don't take it personally I think everyone will get alone fine. I totally hate the refs that demand everyone sit on the sideline like church mice and not say a word.

I think that everyone needs to realize this is for the kids and we have parents and refs taking the fun out of weekend soccer. In no way am I downing my fellow refs but I think we all can work to make this better.

Let's relax and just have fun.
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 14/09/12, 10:13 am

We're losing more and more refs each year. Just got email from manager that my sons U-19 Classic League game has been cancelled for this Sunday due to lack of referees?
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 14/09/12, 10:33 am

Its Me wrote:We're losing more and more refs each year. Just got email from manager that my sons U-19 Classic League game has been cancelled for this Sunday due to lack of referees?

A negative drawback of the stance of not allowing the illegals to hold residence in some of our local cities.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 14/09/12, 10:36 am

Sooner than later wrote:

1:24 - one of his best lines. Period.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 14/09/12, 03:06 pm

Blank77 wrote:

Man, you may be being facetious, but if you haven't seen it, youtube it. It was awesome!

Howard Webb was put in a HORRIBLE situation. A HUGE game and only 5 mins into it. It should have been a red, and in in other game, I don't think he would have hesitated. He was considering the magnitude of having a team play with 10 men so early on in the game. It was a gut wrenching affair to watch as the World Cup ended up being an ugly, vicious, physical game after that. Whether it had to do with that particular incident, we will never know, but Webb gave a news conference where he stated his feelings.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 14/09/12, 03:23 pm

Pretty good you tube short on it. Karate kick is at most local fields this weekend, but also on the video at 2:40.

I liked the guy saying it was too rough for Kung Fu, lol.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sDad 14/09/12, 04:51 pm

Here is the NTX girls Academy version..... Shocked
Of course, there was no foul called here...
State of Refs - Page 2 Premie12
10sDad
10sDad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 14/09/12, 05:03 pm

10sDad wrote:Here is the NTX girls Academy version..... Shocked

Just some advice. You probably need to be more careful or exclude those versions, because even though you obscured the faces, the numbers are visible as well as a few other factors that could easily identify the player(s) involved. Also, these are not adults, so it probably would exacerbate the situation even further.

I just don't want you caught up in a massive flame war attack for this. It's just my 2 cents.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 14/09/12, 05:21 pm

I can pick out the future lhcgl player!
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 17/09/12, 02:21 pm

Coach&Ref wrote:
10sDad wrote:Here is the NTX girls Academy version..... Shocked

Just some advice. You probably need to be more careful or exclude those versions, because even though you obscured the faces, the numbers are visible as well as a few other factors that could easily identify the player(s) involved. Also, these are not adults, so it probably would exacerbate the situation even further.

I just don't want you caught up in a massive flame war attack for this. It's just my 2 cents.
That pic is less likely to start a fight than you calling people flamers cause they fight.
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 17/09/12, 02:21 pm

How about a magnet?
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 17/09/12, 08:26 pm

That pic is less likely to start a fight than you calling people flamers cause they fight.

What does that even mean?

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 18/09/12, 09:16 pm

Coach&Ref wrote:

coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 19/09/12, 01:34 am

coachr wrote:
Coach&Ref wrote:

I understand now. You are a God fearing person and want to remind us all about the virtues of peace and harmony.

Genesis 9:11-13 (TNIV) I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth." 12 And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and
every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.

Thank you for that! Very Happy

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum