North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
2010G Renegades GCL ELITE14/05/24, 06:56 pmNickicharriere
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:31 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:01 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:55 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:50 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:45 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:40 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:29 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:24 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:19 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:12 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:07 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:02 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:56 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:51 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:46 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:30 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:25 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:19 pmsbarton12
Evolution 2011 Boys Classic League D1 Tryouts09/05/24, 02:21 pmCoach Stuart
EVOLUTION 15B MCGREGOR09/05/24, 02:06 pmLewis McGregor

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

$ question - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205203 messages in 31989 subjects

$ question

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

$ question - Page 2 Empty Re: $ question

Post by Gunner9 10/02/13, 12:40 pm

We always had a detailed budget handed out to each family. Completely transparent. Any team/club unwilling to hand one out to you is suspect. Also prefer the team treasurer to be separate from the team manager.

Gunner9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSoccer 11/02/13, 07:46 am

Just curious if he 'can't afford' the dues, or would rather spend the money on his bmw? Often the case... anyway each club/team figures in scholarships in their budget. Say a club has a budget of 40k revenue for each team. Divide it by the paying players, maybe 15-16, then the coach decides if he needs the money to keep/recruit a few studs or will help out someone who really needs it. No coach will let his stud leave over dues. Thats why you will often see a coach recruit a player who can pay but not play. Then sit her on the bench to watch Goingfor's daughter play. Then another parent posts on here asking how to get a release for lack of playtime...
DrSoccer
DrSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 11/02/13, 08:26 am

DrSoccer wrote:Just curious if he 'can't afford' the dues, or would rather spend the money on his bmw? Often the case... anyway each club/team figures in scholarships in their budget. Say a club has a budget of 40k revenue for each team. Divide it by the paying players, maybe 15-16, then the coach decides if he needs the money to keep/recruit a few studs or will help out someone who really needs it. No coach will let his stud leave over dues. Thats why you will often see a coach recruit a player who can pay but not play. Then sit her on the bench to watch Goingfor's daughter play. Then another parent posts on here asking how to get a release for lack of playtime...
But why have we allowed soccer to become such a big expense that it interferes with things like car payments? IT'S SOCCER!!! Not polo, yachting, or Formula 1 racing. IT'S SOCCER!!! 1 round ball, 2 targets on the opposites ends of an open field, 2 groups of kids. THAT’S IT!!! (Shoes and shin guards optional.)

Why have we allowed soccer to become so expensive that it's become an upper-middle class sport? (And before some tool gets on here and says "Stay in Rec." let me go ahead and pre-respond to you by saying "Blow that predictable response out of your a$$.") The truth is, here in NTX, the better you are that the more expense soccer becomes. That is stupid. That logic is in reverse. If we want great soccer players coming out of the US, it shouldn’t cost you more to want to be great.

Who is allowing the prices of soccer to be this inflated? Is it the family that says, "No, we can't afford to play here anymore at these costs." OR is the enabling family that says, "We're not worried about the money. We just want her to be play on that team."

It's the morons that say, "Money isn't the issue." Those are the idiots that are allowing these prices to spiral out of control.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/02/13, 08:47 am

bigtex75081 wrote:
DrSoccer wrote:Just curious if he 'can't afford' the dues, or would rather spend the money on his bmw? Often the case... anyway each club/team figures in scholarships in their budget. Say a club has a budget of 40k revenue for each team. Divide it by the paying players, maybe 15-16, then the coach decides if he needs the money to keep/recruit a few studs or will help out someone who really needs it. No coach will let his stud leave over dues. Thats why you will often see a coach recruit a player who can pay but not play. Then sit her on the bench to watch Goingfor's daughter play. Then another parent posts on here asking how to get a release for lack of playtime...
But why have we allowed soccer to become such a big expense that it interferes with things like car payments? IT'S SOCCER!!! Not polo, yachting, or Formula 1 racing. IT'S SOCCER!!! 1 round ball, 2 targets on the opposites ends of an open field, 2 groups of kids. THAT’S IT!!! (Shoes and shin guards optional.)

Why have we allowed soccer to become so expensive that it's become an upper-middle class sport? (And before some tool gets on here and says "Stay in Rec." let me go ahead and pre-respond to you by saying "Blow that predictable response out of your a$$.") The truth is, here in NTX, the better you are that the more expense soccer becomes. That is stupid. That logic is in reverse. If we want great soccer players coming out of the US, it shouldn’t cost you more to want to be great.

Who is allowing the prices of soccer to be this inflated? Is it the family that says, "No, we can't afford to play here anymore at these costs." OR is the enabling family that says, "We're not worried about the money. We just want her to be play on that team."

It's the morons that say, "Money isn't the issue." Those are the idiots that are allowing these prices to spiral out of control.

Nailed it.

Back to top Go down

Post by whattheheck 11/02/13, 08:51 am

The truth is, here in NTX, the better you are that the more expense soccer becomes. That is stupid. That logic is in reverse. If we want great soccer players coming out of the US, it shouldn’t cost you more to want to be great.

cheers well said!
whattheheck
whattheheck
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 11/02/13, 09:07 am

bigtex75081 wrote:

It has gotten so expensive because it is a business to the coaches and clubs who are trying to make a living, or supplement their income. They only charge what the market will bear. Our experience is that the better team your DD is on, and the more critical she is to that team, the cheaper it is. Supply and demand at work. ECNL scholarships are not that hard to come by if your DD is a difference maker.

To me the real question is why it seems to cost about the same regardless of level? Be it National Championship, ECNL or PPL D2. The answer is probably the same as to how Jerry keeps filling Jerry World each week.

I do find it interesting that you refer to the people who have enough money that the cost is an incidental expense morons and idiots.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 11/02/13, 09:19 am

Lefty wrote:

I do find it interesting that you refer to the people who have enough money that the cost is an incidental expense morons and idiots.

There are a hundred coaches out there pitching "special skill development" and claiming athleticism doesn't matter. Telling parents of 6-year olds they will make them "select ready". Telling parents of 9-year olds they will make them "ECNL and college-ready".

And people buy it!! In droves. Somehow, NTX soccer has become the world's only sport where you can actually buy talent. Rolling Eyes
Gunner9
Gunner9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 11/02/13, 09:28 am

Lefty wrote:

The people that willingly pay whatever they’re told, whether it’s an incidental expense to them or not, are hurting the rest of us. Those people that hand over the blank checks aren’t showing any fiscal responsibility. They’re not valiant or glorious; they are the ones that are expanding what the market will bear. They are the ones that our allowing the clubs to expand on our thresholds for pain.

How would you refer to them as, “Our Fiscal Champions”?
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 11/02/13, 09:35 am

bigtex75081 wrote:

Your post was 100% right-on until that line. The fact is MOST girls should stick with rec soccer (or an inexpensive alternative) because they are not SELECT material. We are talking about SELECT soccer which indicates a selection is actually involved in the process. That may be true for the upper tier teams; but now, the selection is usually about fielding enough players to make a team so that the club, league, tournaments, and coaches can be paid. This is big business.

Coaches are often not completely honest with parents. Parents are more often not honest with themselves. They see their little pony-tailed daughters out kicking a soccer ball and think "Wow. She's got that special somthing!" Not bloody likely. She's probably just another little kid who can learn to dribble, time her roll-backs, pass, and occasionally muster a decent shot. That's not elite. Why pay big money for it? I've got a daughter in PSA who can play circles around many (if not most) of the D2 and lower participants I've watched. But I don't see her as the next Marta and would even go so far as to say that I would much prefer she follows in the shoes of her older sister and gets any college scholarship money for her SAT score, grades, and leadership. My hope for her is she'll be a successful fill-in-the-career-of-her-choice-here... not a pro women's soccer player (whatever that is).
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 11/02/13, 09:36 am

Gunner9 wrote:
Lefty wrote:

There are a hundred coaches out there pitching "special skill development" and claiming athleticism doesn't matter. Telling parents of 6-year olds they will make them "select ready". Telling parents of 9-year olds they will make them "ECNL and college-ready".

And people buy it!! In droves. Somehow, NTX soccer has become the world's only sport where you can actually buy talent. Rolling Eyes

Dang it, Gunner, you beat me to it!
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by whattheheck 11/02/13, 09:39 am

I know that my dd's are blessed to be able to be in a club that we can afford so that her skills can be developed. But, one friend down the street - not so lucky! I would say two years ago they were equally talented but my dd now far exceeds her because we have been able/willing to pay for the training.

The unfortunate situation is that the majority of young kids out there do not have the resources to get into this wonderful world of academy/club soccer because either their parents have no clue this underworld exists, they don't wish to take the extra time that is needed for the development, or they can't afford it.

I know there are alot of "diamonds in the ruffs" out there that will unfortunately never have the opportunities that our dd's have! I know a church that offers a free little "rec league" just to the refugees in an apartment complex who otherwise would never get to play!

I will recant my agreement with bigtex's comment using the harsh word of "moron"...most on here are just parents wanting the best for our kids and unfortunately keeping up with the soccer Jones' gets expensive! Most don't know how to work the scholarship angle - and it is given to the ones that do!

Disclaimer...this is JMO! Smile
whattheheck
whattheheck
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 11/02/13, 09:52 am

Okay I don't think those who can afford to pay should take the scholorships. Had a situation with my BB where I initially thought if there is a scholorship that we should get it. I talked to the coach and he said if you really need it then I will have to give it to you because your son is the best player on this team. But if he takes it these other 2 kids will not be able to play because they can't afford the fees. I realized then taking it doesn't make me smart, didn't mean I was gaming the system. It just meant I would be a liar, selfish, and an A$%hole. The reality was while the fees do have a sting to them I could manage it and to take it was to deny 2 kids an opportunity that I was lucky enough to be able to afford for my kid. Now at least 1 of the kids there may have been a question of affordability but just because his parents are teaching him that life is only about you and lying and cheating is okay as long as you get what you want doesn't mean I have too.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 11/02/13, 09:53 am

whattheheck wrote:I know that my dd's are blessed to be able to be in a club that we can afford so that her skills can be developed. But, one friend down the street - not so lucky! I would say two years ago they were equally talented but my dd now far exceeds her because we have been able/willing to pay for the training.

The unfortunate situation is that the majority of young kids out there do not have the resources to get into this wonderful world of academy/club soccer because either their parents have no clue this underworld exists, they don't wish to take the extra time that is needed for the development, or they can't afford it.

I know there are alot of "diamonds in the ruffs" out there that will unfortunately never have the opportunities that our dd's have! I know a church that offers a free little "rec league" just to the refugees in an apartment complex who otherwise would never get to play!

I will recant my agreement with bigtex's comment using the harsh word of "moron"...most on here are just parents wanting the best for our kids and unfortunately keeping up with the soccer Jones' gets expensive! Most don't know how to work the scholarship angle - and it is given to the ones that do!

"Moron" is a harsh word, you're right. We need to look further down the line though...

Competitive soccer in this market is growing at a tremendous rate. If more people keep coming into this market with no regards to costs, just looking to spend, how much do you think an average contract year is going to cost 5 years from now? Over or under $4,000?

How about 10 years from now? Over or under $8,000?

Would either of those numbers be expensive enough to push you out of the market too?
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 11/02/13, 10:11 am

whattheheck wrote:I know that my dd's are blessed to be able to be in a club that we can afford so that her skills can be developed. But, one friend down the street - not so lucky! I would say two years ago they were equally talented but my dd now far exceeds her because we have been able/willing to pay for the training.

Or the parents realize "select" soccer is a lot of over-priced hooplah. Or their daughters like multiple sports and don't want to sell their souls to soccer. Or the entire family loves having weekends free to spend together on campouts and at the lake instead of at windy, 105 degree soccer fields. Or they've been through all of this and wish they had done things differently so they adjust with child number two.

Or...

Or...

Or...
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 11/02/13, 10:15 am

bigtex75081 wrote:
Lefty wrote:

The people that willingly pay whatever they’re told, whether it’s an incidental expense to them or not, are hurting the rest of us. Those people that hand over the blank checks aren’t showing any fiscal responsibility. They’re not valiant or glorious; they are the ones that are expanding what the market will bear. They are the ones that our allowing the clubs to expand on our thresholds for pain.

So you want to be the judge of how other people spend their money?

If someone decides that $2K, $5k or $8k on their kids soccer is a good value for what they get, who are you to say they are wrong?

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 11/02/13, 10:33 am

JustaSport wrote:

Or the parents realize "select" soccer is a lot of over-priced hooplah. Or their daughters like multiple sports and don't want to sell their souls to soccer. Or the entire family loves having weekends free to spend together on campouts and at the lake instead of at windy, 105 degree soccer fields. Or they've been through all of this and wish they had done things differently so they adjust with child number two.

Or...

Or...

Or...

Agree with you 100%. Have your DD play and participate in the club soccer business to the degree and cost that makes sense for your DD and family. Afterall, for 90% + the only payoff is the journey and the experiences along the way.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by db10 11/02/13, 11:02 am

The ironic part is most of the best players in the world pay $0 to play a game they love.

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/02/13, 11:05 am

Lefty wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:
Lefty wrote:

If someone decides that $2K, $5k or $8k on their kids soccer is a good value for what they get, who are you to say they are wrong?

That's where I come in.

They are wrong.

Everyone makes judgements about what other people do. If you choose to spend loads of money on a child's sport (especially $5,000 plus) and your daughter is just an average player, you're not only wrong; you're a fool. You're paying for a Porsche but getting a Kia.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/02/13, 11:31 am

go99 wrote:Okay I don't think those who can afford to pay should take the scholorships. Had a situation with my BB where I initially thought if there is a scholorship that we should get it. I talked to the coach and he said if you really need it then I will have to give it to you because your son is the best player on this team. But if he takes it these other 2 kids will not be able to play because they can't afford the fees. I realized then taking it doesn't make me smart, didn't mean I was gaming the system. It just meant I would be a liar, selfish, and an A$%hole. The reality was while the fees do have a sting to them I could manage it and to take it was to deny 2 kids an opportunity that I was lucky enough to be able to afford for my kid. Now at least 1 of the kids there may have been a question of affordability but just because his parents are teaching him that life is only about you and lying and cheating is okay as long as you get what you want doesn't mean I have too.

Well said!

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchafit 11/02/13, 12:58 pm

There are clubs that have booths at different venues, Cowboys Stadium, Rangers, AAC, Verizon etc... some parents have really cashed out and made enough to pay dues,travel and all the extras.....

Consider reffing..even sideline gigs pay pretty decent..

Truth be told, why spend all this money to get your kid a scholarship? If we saved all the years of fees our dd's college would have already been paid for! OR..hmmm... cheaper to pay for tutors for an ACADEMIC scholarship... Very Happy

For me, it's been a struggle but I love all the memories I've had..pricele$$....
pitchafit
pitchafit
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 11/02/13, 01:15 pm

3-4-3 wrote:
go99 wrote:Okay I don't think those who can afford to pay should take the scholorships. Had a situation with my BB where I initially thought if there is a scholorship that we should get it. I talked to the coach and he said if you really need it then I will have to give it to you because your son is the best player on this team. But if he takes it these other 2 kids will not be able to play because they can't afford the fees. I realized then taking it doesn't make me smart, didn't mean I was gaming the system. It just meant I would be a liar, selfish, and an A$%hole. The reality was while the fees do have a sting to them I could manage it and to take it was to deny 2 kids an opportunity that I was lucky enough to be able to afford for my kid. Now at least 1 of the kids there may have been a question of affordability but just because his parents are teaching him that life is only about you and lying and cheating is okay as long as you get what you want doesn't mean I have too.

Well said!
@Go99 – Please don’t misunderstand this response because your story is an excellent example of generosity. If it hadn’t been for your generosity, those 2 other families may have been put into unfair situations. It was good of you to do that for them.

In this example though, you had a choice. You could have compelled that coach to take a step back and make hard decisions about costs. But you didn’t. You could have made the coach say to himself, “What’s more important here? Having a great team filled with capable kids OR collecting the parents’ money? How much does this extra money really matter to me?” But you didn’t. You gave that coach an out from making some hard budgeting decisions. Instead you made the hard budgeting decision on his behalf and just ponied up more money instead. Instead of making the coach/club make a tough choice, and checking to see if they were overcharging, you just tightened your family’s belt and wrote a check instead.

Please don’t be confused. I respect your kindness to those other families.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/02/13, 01:23 pm

It does seem that if you shop around and do your homework you can find a club or team that would fit your budget. There are many team and club posting reduced rates!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiki-taka 11/02/13, 02:01 pm

[quote="pitchafit"]
Truth be told, why spend all this money to get your kid a scholarship? If we saved all the years of fees our dd's college would have already been paid for! OR..hmmm... cheaper to pay for tutors for an ACADEMIC scholarship... Very Happy
quote]

Until there is a NTX "academic" Forum, where parents can argue the merits of the academic tests, the teacher's credentials, the school ranking, nuke a thread with some nerdy academic big words (like Epicurean), and how their daughter is better than everyone elses, I'm stuck with Soccer. After all, the purpose of Soccer is to support this forum, right?

Signed,
Dazed and Confused
Tiki-taka
Tiki-taka
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 11/02/13, 02:11 pm

Xara wrote:
Lefty wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:
Lefty wrote:

That's where I come in.

They are wrong.

Everyone makes judgements about what other people do. If you choose to spend loads of money on a child's sport (especially $5,000 plus) and your daughter is just an average player, you're not only wrong; you're a fool. You're paying for a Porsche but getting a Kia.

Really? I'm missing something.

They may be wrong in your opinion, and we all know the saying about opinions, but what power do you have to stop anyone from spending $5,000 or more a year on their DD's sports regardless of how bad or good their kid may be, if that is what they want to do?

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/02/13, 02:21 pm

Lefty wrote:
Xara wrote:
Lefty wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:
Lefty wrote:

That's where I come in.

They are wrong.

They may be wrong in your opinion, and we all know the saying about opinions, but what power do you have to stop anyone from spending $5,000 or more a year on their DD's sports regardless of how bad or good their kid may be, if that is what they want to do?

Power to stop anyone? Where did you get that from anything I posted? In fact, I laugh at the foolish decisions of others in regard to what is an over-hyped child's pasttime. Why would I want to stop anyone when their poor decisions are so entertaining?

The punchline is that the coaches, clubs, and leagues are laughing much harder than I ever could. All the way to the bank.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 11/02/13, 02:29 pm

Xara wrote:
Lefty wrote:
Xara wrote:
Lefty wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:
Lefty wrote:

That's where I come in.

They are wrong.

Power to stop anyone? Where did you get that from anything I posted? In fact, I laugh at the foolish decisions of others in regard to what is an over-hyped child's pasttime. Why would I want to stop anyone when their poor decisions are so entertaining?

The punchline is that the coaches, clubs, and leagues are laughing much harder than I ever could. All the way to the bank.

You are the one that said 'That's where I come in'. Just wondered what you were going to do about it?

I agree with your last sentence, which is why I said do what makes sense for your DD and family given your particular situation.

Last edited by Lefty on 11/02/13, 02:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next