North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

USWNT - Rate the new Players Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

USWNT - Rate the new Players

Go down

USWNT - Rate the new Players Empty USWNT - Rate the new Players

Post by Slakemoth 14/03/13, 11:52 am

There has been talk in the past here of the USWNT team needing an infusion of new blood and some fresher players. With Sermanni taking the team, he certainly seems to be looking at a bunch of new faces, and looking to mix things up. I was curious to hear people's thoughts on how the new girls looked in the Algarve Cup games. No spoilers on the final against Germany for those that don't know the outcome. I've listed the "new" players (and some returning faces) for thoughts...

It was a bit tough to watch the China and Sweden games as field conditions were pretty rough (rain) lots of players having difficulty staying on their feet... not much flow to either one of those matches.

Keepers:
Jill Loyden - Good to see her get some time... sucks she broke her hand... out for a bit I guess.
Ashlyn Harris - looked solid against Sweeden, a bit unlucky on the goal.
Nicole Barhart - Got two of the 4 matches... Looked good

Defenders:
Ali Krieger - Great to see her back from ACL injury. Looked good on the outside, lots of playing time, clearly liked by Sermanni
Crystal Dunn - Saw time against Iceland and Germany - seemed solid to me against Iceland... haven't watched Germany yet.
Whitney Engen - Saw time against China, Sweden and Germany. Didn't stand out to me, but didn't give me a negative impression either.

Mids:
Yael Averbuch - Perennial bridesmaid with the national team... good to see her with some time. Looked powerful on the ball ( that girl can hit a ball), not quite clicking with passes and feeds, but I think she is worth keeping. Saw time against China, Sweden and Germany.
Christen Press - Saw lots of time (played in all 4 matches), and certainly impressed. Seems to have good chemistry with the squad, and worked very hard.
Kristie Mewis - Played against China and Germany. Seemed present on the field, but didn't overly stand out to me... but need to watch Germany game before final impressions.

Forwards:
Lindsey Horan - Got very little playing time (late sub against China). Hard to tell if there is anything there.. Maybe Sermanni thinks she is still too young.

I also have to give credit to Sermanni for spreading the wealth and giving some new players time in crucial games.
Only major injuries were Carli Lloyd with fracture shoulder and Jill Loyden with broken hand....

So what were the overall impressions? Who should be worried about losing a spot to the "new" girls.
I feel Averbuch, Press and Krieger certainly showed well for themselves.
Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

USWNT - Rate the new Players Empty Re: USWNT - Rate the new Players

Post by SouthlakeDad 14/03/13, 12:45 pm

I've only gotten to see the highlights.

Barnhart was the starter while Hope Solo was out with shoulder surgery a couple years ago, and Hope just had surgery on her wrist. With Loyden's broken hand, Barnhart is sure to see lots of playing time.

It was great to see Krieger back in the game. All of her old teammates seemed very happy to have her back, from one of the videos I watched. Also neat that she scored her first goal for the national team against China (as a defender!) Engen (defender) also scored.

Christen Press has scored 4 goals in her first 4 games with the team -- I suspect she'll be sticking around.
SouthlakeDad
SouthlakeDad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 00scrmom 14/03/13, 01:02 pm

I have not watched all of the Algarve matches, caught the first two but just highlights on the last two games, but do know the outcome. How can you not if you follow ussocccer on FB or Twitter?!

I really love to watch the USWNT and was kind of glad to see some young players in the mix, especially on the defense side since a few are out, Heather Mitts, who I really actually will miss and Amy LePeilbet, eh who not so much, she was so hit or miss to me. JMHO.
Though Krieger isnt new to the WNT it sure is great to see her back, hopefully she can stay healthy and doesnt get an itch to return to Germany! She really seems to give the team some added excitement and energy!

I was kind of nervous though to see so many new faces in the mid and forward positions but realistically, Boxx is on borrowed time and Wambach is no spring chicken, I give her another year or two at most and not because she will retire (I know her goal is a win at the next World Cup) but because of her recurring achilles injury. Who knows though. And now with Lloyd out, who I am not really a big fan of anyway (she's too hit or miss for me), it will give opportunity to see who can own the middle.

Press really impresses me the most. She is aggressive on the ball, seems to mesh well with the team with the terrific anticipation that I've seen from her on receiving the ball and just seems to have a great presence on the field. That is mostly just from seeing her play against Scotland last month though I did like what I saw in her start against China, I havent watched Sweden or Germany yet.
Would agree with your comments on the others. Engen I thought was good against China pretty solid I thought, even managed a goal at the end. The others I guess I just didnt notice all that much, hmmm.

Nonetheless, I'm glad to see Sermanni bringing up some new talent. I think it's time to start building the next World Cup squad. There's alot of talent out there and not many spots to fill so let the competition begin!!

00scrmom
00scrmom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Slakemoth 14/03/13, 04:30 pm

Agree 100% with the Krieger thoughts.. she is happy to be back and playing like someone that missed it terribly... and her energy is contagious. My daughter loves her, and has followed her progress all throughout her recovery.. She is thrilled to see Krieger back on the pitch.

This tournament showed the true depth available to the team...

Says something when Rampone, O'Reilley, and Rapinoe aren't even used in the final, and Abby only sees 15 minutes of it.
Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 14/03/13, 04:36 pm

Who played in Rapinoe's spot?
Gunner9
Gunner9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Slakemoth 14/03/13, 05:01 pm

dunno... looks like Heath possibly. I don't fear Pinoe losing her spot.. she was an absolute beast in the Sweden game.

Here is who played.. (subs in parenthesis)

USA: 18-Nicole Barnhart; 11-Ali Krieger (6-Crystal Dunn, 58), 19-Rachel Buehler, 14-Whitney Engen, 5-Kelley O’Hara; 23-Christen Press (20-Abby Wambach, 75), 7-Shannon Boxx (capt.), 16-Yael Averbuch (4-Becky Sauerbrunn, 68), 17-Tobin Heath (8-Kristie Mewis, 82); 13-Alex Morgan, 2-Sydney Leroux

Substitutions Not Used: 3-Christie Rampone, 9-Heather O’Reilly, 10-Carli Lloyd, 15-Megan Rapinoe, 22-Lindsey Horan, 24-Ashlyn Harris
Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 14/03/13, 11:26 pm

Boring players. Averbush is as stiff as Stonehenge. Heather Mitts wasn't any good when she was in her 20's. Same old rehashed slow boring crap other than Press.
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffM 15/03/13, 09:31 am

Uncle Numanga wrote:Boring players. Averbush is as stiff as Stonehenge. Heather Mitts wasn't any good when she was in her 20's. Same old rehashed slow boring crap other than Press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fy8t3HYZp4

Last statement from Al is the only important part.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down