North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
2010G Renegades GCL ELITE14/05/24, 06:56 pmNickicharriere
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:31 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:01 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:55 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:50 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:45 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:40 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:29 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:24 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:19 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:12 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:07 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:02 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:56 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:51 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:46 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:30 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:25 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:19 pmsbarton12
Evolution 2011 Boys Classic League D1 Tryouts09/05/24, 02:21 pmCoach Stuart
EVOLUTION 15B MCGREGOR09/05/24, 02:06 pmLewis McGregor

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

What is the benefit?? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205203 messages in 31989 subjects

What is the benefit??

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is the benefit?? Empty What is the benefit??

Post by Just4kicks 09/06/13, 12:49 pm

Just curious what the benefit of taking a U16 rec team select as an independent team is? Been sparing with a friend about this. If you are taking them select at such a late age to get collage looks isn't it better to take them to a club that knows how the select game works? I am sure there are clubs that would be willing to take the team as a whole and keep them together. Just wanting to get some others opinion on this.

Just4kicks
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

What is the benefit?? Empty Re: What is the benefit??

Post by Guest 09/06/13, 12:56 pm

If the players are ready, based on coaching they have received already what benefit would it be to add a Corporate logo to their jersey and required payment to a club?

Back to top Go down

Post by ekkeeper1 09/06/13, 01:22 pm

The team I played my last two years for was an Independent team. They were together in rec and then in 8th grade they took the team select. I didnt join until later I was very committed to my previous team. Everyone who wanted to play college soccer went on to do so. We had a manager that did a good job of sending out emails and helping us write letters as did the coach for our team. Did any of us go play D1 soccer no, but we found the right levels for us. I went to a D2 school, a few girls went to play junior college, and others played NAIA. I liked my independent team and was personally happy we stayed that way even prior to that was with a smaller club. I was recruited by several schools at tournaments mostly D2 or NAIA programs, I knew I didnt want a big school and that played a role in the coaches that came to watch me play.

ekkeeper1
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieG 09/06/13, 04:14 pm

As an independent team you can still play in the same exact College Showcase Tournaments that the so called Big Clubs play at...at about 10% of the cost so why not?

StevieG
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by upper95 09/06/13, 05:04 pm

At this stage of the game, you will be wasting your money to take a rec team to club soccer. If you seriously want to go competitive, stay independent. Be ware that competitive leagues charge fees that are much higher than rec. Unless your kids are exceptional for rec, they won't show well in competitive soccer, except for maybe Plano D2 - college recruiters won't be looking there for players, though.

Sure you can find a club to take your money ($2000+ per player in dues), have you buy their uniforms, and pay some of the dues back to your coach. Maybe they will provide a practice location.
Don't assume that you will get any more support or help from the club.

If you have a couple of superstar players that could possibly get college scholarships, they need to go try out for Lake Highlands Classic League teams to gauge how good they are. These teams get the exposure at showcases.

Last edited by upper95 on 09/06/13, 05:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

upper95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TNT 10/06/13, 06:16 am

upper95 wrote:At this stage of the game, you will be wasting your money to take a rec team to club soccer. If you seriously want to go competitive, stay independent. Be ware that competitive leagues charge fees that are much higher than rec. Unless your kids are exceptional for rec, they won't show well in competitive soccer, except for maybe Plano D2 - college recruiters won't be looking there for players, though.

Sure you can find a club to take your money ($2000+ per player in dues), have you buy their uniforms, and pay some of the dues back to your coach. Maybe they will provide a practice location.
Don't assume that you will get any more support or help from the club.

If you have a couple of superstar players that could possibly get college scholarships, they need to go try out for Lake Highlands Classic League teams to gauge how good they are. These teams get the exposure at showcases.

well said

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchafit 10/06/13, 08:42 am

You don't have to be with a major club or Lake Highlands to make it to college.. It's how good your player reaches out to coaches and how instrumental your Coach and team manager is as well.. I know big club players who go to showcases and their managers don't have or give out profiles,don't interact with coaches etc...

I also know of an independent club that majorly did their homework, had player profiles ready,put players in at the right time, spoke directly with the coach about the players and followed thru! EVERY girl got a spot and a scholarship to that college. No they weren't all D1 but who gives a flip when the purpose of college is for the education.
pitchafit
pitchafit
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Pele98 10/06/13, 04:44 pm

pitchafit wrote:You don't have to be with a major club or Lake Highlands to make it to college.. It's how good your player reaches out to coaches and how instrumental your Coach and team manager is as well.. I know big club players who go to showcases and their managers don't have or give out profiles,don't interact with coaches etc...

I also know of an independent club that majorly did their homework, had player profiles ready,put players in at the right time, spoke directly with the coach about the players and followed thru! EVERY girl got a spot and a scholarship to that college. No they weren't all D1 but who gives a flip when the purpose of college is for the education.

You keep telling yourself that, eventually you will believe it too.....
Pele98
Pele98
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchafit 10/06/13, 06:35 pm

Pele- I lived it! But keep paying your money... Smile
pitchafit
pitchafit
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 10/06/13, 07:24 pm

Two percent. If I recall correctly, that's the odds of getting ANY MONEY at all to play soccer in college. Two percent. I don't even know why most people discuss the hope that their kid will get anything in the way of an academic scholarship since it's likely to be so meager. I would think the rate of return for scratch-off tickets would be better than 2%.

Edit: Looks like I was correct. This is worth reading: http://berkshiresocceracademy.com/2012/05/11/womens-soccer-scholarships/
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by tornado11 10/06/13, 07:38 pm

Sign up for college summer soccer camps. a far less expensive way of getting 'seen' as you are taking your game to them...(PROVIDED you can actually PLAY the game)...a captive audience. As far as playing in the Plano Premier (or Plano II for that matter) the biggest drawback is having to play in gale force winds at Russell f'in Creek....Spain couldn't play on those cr-p fields with the wind ALWAYS blowing 30 mph...a total joke and total waste of money...

tornado11
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by tornado11 10/06/13, 07:42 pm

pitchafit wrote:Pele- I lived it! But keep paying your money... :

)

for what it's worth I fully agree with you on this...ALWAYS remember that ALL these self proclaimed 'elite' clubs need PAYERS...more than they need players...

tornado11
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by intrinsic 10/06/13, 09:24 pm

tornado11 wrote:Sign up for college summer soccer camps. a far less expensive way of getting 'seen' as you are taking your game to them...(PROVIDED you can actually PLAY the game)...a captive audience. As far as playing in the Plano Premier (or Plano II for that matter) the biggest drawback is having to play in gale force winds at Russell f'in Creek....Spain couldn't play on those cr-p fields with the wind ALWAYS blowing 30 mph...a total joke and total waste of money...

I wouldn't say that UTD fields 2 through 6 are any different than you describe.

intrinsic
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

http://www.BlazeSoccer.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 10/06/13, 09:46 pm

JustaSport wrote:Two percent. If I recall correctly, that's the odds of getting ANY MONEY at all to play soccer in college. Two percent. I don't even know why most people discuss the hope that their kid will get anything in the way of an academic scholarship since it's likely to be so meager. I would think the rate of return for scratch-off tickets would be better than 2%.

Edit: Looks like I was correct. This is worth reading: http://berkshiresocceracademy.com/2012/05/11/womens-soccer-scholarships/

A session to cover the contents of that article would be a better use of time for new select parents than the current LHGCL 'Meet the Ref' sessions.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by fun soccer 11/06/13, 10:14 am

If your player, Manager and Coach put in a little work there is plenty of money to go around for college soccer. The first mistake that most people make is looking at a school because of their soccer program. We first find schools that teach what the player wants to study, Then narrow it down to location the player is interested in. Then we look and concentrate on those soccer programs. It has worked out well for us. We have players that play at all different levels in college from Jr College to NCAA Division 2. I always say that picking a college because of thier soccer program is the second dumbest reason to pick a school... That's why they are called Student Athletes...NOT Athlete Students. Good luck to everyone in finding the right fit you your player.

Scott
fun soccer
fun soccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NTXSjunkie 11/06/13, 10:24 am

One thing I'll say is that you can get to college and play no matter what you do. Having played college soccer, the player and their family will have to do a lot of work to get them there.

Benefits of playing for an independent team:
- Lower Costs
- Good Camaraderie
- Players' spot is generally guaranteed due to lower numbers wanting to tryout

Drawbacks of an Independent team:
- Usually the coach is a dad/mom that does not have proper soccer knowledge
- Level of play may not be what your player needs
- Exposure will not be as good, because there is not reputation that accompanies the team name
- Practice location may change month to month due to rules and regulations the city puts on locations

The thing with clubs is that they generally have all the hard work done for people. They've got a licensed coach in there that knows soccer and knows how to make players better. They've got the practice location tied down so you can count on practices always being in the same location. The clubs will also have the proper equipment to train players, and may even have specialized training sessions for players to take part in. I know when I played, my club (in addition to the practices with the team) had Goalkeeper Training, Speed and Agility Training, Shooting and Finishing Training, and Skills Training.

Those sessions there can't generally be provided by an independent coach. The clubs will generally have some sort of college exposure program and will generally have built up college coaching connections that an independent club coach will not have.

Sure club soccer is expensive (trust me I paid for it myself once I was old enough to get a job), but I think if your ultimate goal is to get to college to play, then your best option is to join a club.

Reason for edit: Grammar

NTXSjunkie
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 11/06/13, 06:04 pm

tornado11 wrote:Sign up for college summer soccer camps. a far less expensive way of getting 'seen' as you are taking your game to them...(PROVIDED you can actually PLAY the game)...a captive audience. As far as playing in the Plano Premier (or Plano II for that matter) the biggest drawback is having to play in gale force winds at Russell f'in Creek....Spain couldn't play on those cr-p fields with the wind ALWAYS blowing 30 mph...a total joke and total waste of money...

Horrible idea. Camps are a money grab for coaches. There is an occasional story of someone getting seen at a camp but they are few and far between.
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 11/06/13, 06:17 pm

I thought you were just a moron before, but now I think you are just making stuff up trying to see who bites. Post the exact opposite of the truth, defend it, and laugh at those of us that mistake you for being serious.
Blank77
Blank77
Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by upper95 11/06/13, 07:07 pm

NTXSjunkie wrote:One thing I'll say is that you can get to college and play no matter what you do. Having played college soccer, the player and their family will have to do a lot of work to get them there.

Benefits of playing for an independent team:
- Lower Costs
- Good Camaraderie
- Players' spot is generally guaranteed due to lower numbers wanting to tryout

Drawbacks of an Independent team:
- Usually the coach is a dad/mom that does not have proper soccer knowledge
- Level of play may not be what your player needs
- Exposure will not be as good, because there is not reputation that accompanies the team name
- Practice location may change month to month due to rules and regulations the city puts on locations

The thing with clubs is that they generally have all the hard work done for people. They've got a licensed coach in there that knows soccer and knows how to make players better. They've got the practice location tied down so you can count on practices always being in the same location. The clubs will also have the proper equipment to train players, and may even have specialized training sessions for players to take part in. I know when I played, my club (in addition to the practices with the team) had Goalkeeper Training, Speed and Agility Training, Shooting and Finishing Training, and Skills Training.

Those sessions there can't generally be provided by an independent coach. The clubs will generally have some sort of college exposure program and will generally have built up college coaching connections that an independent club coach will not have.

Sure club soccer is expensive (trust me I paid for it myself once I was old enough to get a job), but I think if your ultimate goal is to get to college to play, then your best option is to join a club.

Reason for edit: Grammar

All valid points, except remember that the original question was whether to take a U16 rec team to competitive, independent or club. Poster did not say whether the team was promoting to U16 or U17. At this point, the players who want to play in college and are arguably capable of getting there should separate and go to an established competitive team(s) at a level where they will play, then they can take advantage of the amenities if available.

upper95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by tornado11 11/06/13, 07:28 pm

Uncle Numanga wrote:

Horrible idea. Camps are a money grab for coaches. There is an occasional story of someone getting seen at a camp but they are few and far between.

The just graduated senior at ESD received her scholarship from North Carolina (the one where Anson Dorrance coaches) by attending their summer camp. First between her fr/so year (named camp MVP) and then again between her so/jr year, was again named camp MVP and offered a scholarship. This girl did NOT play ECNL until her senior year. (FCD)....so far from a 'horrible idea'...

tornado11
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by tornado11 11/06/13, 07:31 pm

Uncle Numanga wrote:

..... Camps are a money grab for coaches....

Club soccer in general...and moronic, never ending 'tournaments' are the REAL 'money grab' in N Tx soccer....

tornado11
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr T 11/06/13, 10:18 pm

tornado11 wrote:
The just graduated senior at ESD received her scholarship from North Carolina (the one where Anson Dorrance coaches) by attending their summer camp. First between her fr/so year (named camp MVP) and then again between her so/jr year, was again named camp MVP and offered a scholarship. This girl did NOT play ECNL until her senior year. (FCD)....so far from a 'horrible idea'...

This was her 3rd year playing ECNL.
Mr T
Mr T
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 12/06/13, 07:37 am

fun soccer wrote: If your player, Manager and Coach put in a little work there is plenty of money to go around for college soccer. The first mistake that most people make is looking at a school because of their soccer program. We first find schools that teach what the player wants to study, Then narrow it down to location the player is interested in. Then we look and concentrate on those soccer programs. It has worked out well for us. We have players that play at all different levels in college from Jr College to NCAA Division 2. I always say that picking a college because of thier soccer program is the second dumbest reason to pick a school... That's why they are called Student Athletes...NOT Athlete Students. Good luck to everyone in finding the right fit you your player.

Scott

I have to ask what "plenty of money" means in this context.  Every single piece of information that is available indicates statistically that there is very, very little money for girls' soccer.  If you mean that there are some creative ways to get the money, I would agree.  But unless the player is at the very top of the game, she's in for athletic chump-change in the context of overall college costs.  Nevertheless, I do appreciate your emphasis on getting the player in the right school and simply playing the game because she enjoys it.  For those who play it, soccer in college is far more likely to be a pastime than money source.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 12/06/13, 07:57 am

tornado11 wrote:
Uncle Numanga wrote:

Horrible idea.  Camps are a money grab for coaches.  There is an occasional story of someone getting seen at a camp but they are few and far between.

But your last statement simply reiterates the point that Unc made by providing an account of a single, specific individual: 

"Horrible idea. Camps are a money grab for coaches. There is an occasional story of someone getting seen at a camp but they are few and far between."

In addition, the girl you've described is evidently a top-of-the-heap player if she attended the UNC camp and was named MVP twice... and on an ECNL team.  And are you indicating the young lady got a full ride or just "a scholarship"?  I ask this because parents throw around the statement all the time that a girl got a scholarship.  That doesn't mean much.  I read the same thing on club websites where they tout where their seniors have "signed" for college.  Loads and loads of players will sign with soccer programs.  It doesn't mean they've received much - if any - money to play.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 12/06/13, 08:36 am

Actually if they sign a NLI, they received some remuneration.  Although I will agree with you many times it is not much.

TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next