North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Evolution 2011 Boys Classic League D1 Tryouts09/05/24, 02:21 pmCoach Stuart
EVOLUTION 15B MCGREGOR09/05/24, 02:06 pmLewis McGregor
Evo 13B McGregor, PPIL, Colleyville/Southlake/Grapevine09/05/24, 01:47 pmLewis McGregor
EVOLUTION 14G MCGREGOR/GRAPEVINE/SOUTHLAKE/COLLEYVILLE09/05/24, 01:37 pmLewis McGregor
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Can anyone from last year's 01 group shed light on the tryout sessions (drills)? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205180 messages in 31966 subjects

Can anyone from last year's 01 group shed light on the tryout sessions (drills)?

Go down

Can anyone from last year's 01 group shed light on the tryout sessions (drills)? Empty Can anyone from last year's 01 group shed light on the tryout sessions (drills)?

Post by SantaFe 21/08/13, 10:49 pm

In first week, there were a few passing drills and then girls broke into groups of 16 or so; after playing free form 5 v. 5 they just went 1 v. 1 the rest of the evening.

In session 2 this week, what is likely to happen? will they put the girls with a different group of 16 and switch coaches, and do the same?

New drills altogether?

And how about the final (3rd) session? Will they start "pre-selecting" some girls to more closely observe girls that are on the borderline? I was wondering if after 2nd session, the coaches might get together and decide for example a third of the girls that are definitely in, a third definitely out, and let's focus on the middle group.

Really I'm just curious- kind of fascinated by the process and wondering from a strategy standpoint the best way to evaluate 200+ girls in just 9 hours.

SantaFe
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Can anyone from last year's 01 group shed light on the tryout sessions (drills)? Empty Re: Can anyone from last year's 01 group shed light on the tryout sessions (drills)?

Post by Guest 22/08/13, 06:19 am

You will never know, just when you think you have it all figured out it will change on you. Enjoy the ride don't over analyse and good things will come your way. Maybe!

Back to top Go down

Can anyone from last year's 01 group shed light on the tryout sessions (drills)? Empty Re: Can anyone from last year's 01 group shed light on the tryout sessions (drills)?

Post by Blank77 22/08/13, 07:41 am

Be able to juggle, walk and juggle half the field.
Blank77
Blank77
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Offsides 22/08/13, 08:16 am

So be able to juggle.. Like 5, 10, 15, 20.. Dont know what amount a 10 year old should be able to do.

Offsides
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 22/08/13, 08:19 am

Offsides wrote:So be able to juggle.. Like 5, 10, 15, 20.. Dont know what amount a 10 year old should be able to do.
By 10, juggling should be second nature if they are serious enough to try odp.

They had the 01s juggle across the field halfwise, with feet and also with knees. Some girls good make it all the way across.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by Offsides 22/08/13, 08:40 am

We are screwed then!! Did not realize my DD needed to be a juggling machine. A little late to get her up to speed at this point.

Offsides
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/08/13, 08:55 am

Offsides wrote:We are screwed then!! Did not realize my DD needed to be a juggling machine. A little late to get her up to speed at this point.
Don't worry about juggling...not the determining factor.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 22/08/13, 09:07 am

True, lots of things. Also they took around half the 01s, so you dont have to be top tier, just top half.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by oldboot 22/08/13, 09:17 am

Last year, I took detailed notes regarding the tendencies of the pool of girls who tried-out. After reviewing my notes and correlating these observed tendencies with the known group of girls who were ultimately selected, I concluded the following:

The girls who wore ponytails comprised the vast majority of those selected.
oldboot
oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SantaFe 22/08/13, 10:12 am

Yes, my daughter kinda looks like Alex Morgan, especially when she pony tails it, so we got that going for her!

I thought the juggling thing might be a joke. Seriously? I don't know a whole lot of teams/kids that work on that, or need to. Hopefully, speed, quickness, skills, stamina, and attitude count also! Maybe we can catch a circus passing through town and practice up this weekend.

SantaFe
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by goldenshoe 22/08/13, 10:40 am

SantaFe wrote:Yes, my daughter kinda looks like Alex Morgan, especially when she pony tails it, so we got that going for her!

I thought the juggling thing might be a joke.  Seriously?   I don't know a whole lot of teams/kids that work on that, or need to.   Hopefully, speed, quickness, skills, stamina, and attitude count also!  Maybe we can catch a circus passing through town and practice up this weekend.
Yes...all of the above definitely counts.  But I remember Gary Williams (ODP director) stressing importance of juggling to the girls from the tryout last year. Juggling is vital for ball control skills.

goldenshoe
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/08/13, 11:17 am

soccer punk wrote:
Offsides wrote:We are screwed then!! Did not realize my DD needed to be a juggling machine. A little late to get her up to speed at this point.
Don't worry about juggling...not the determining factor.....
maybe not, but i saw the top players grouped together who COULD juggle the best..

Back to top Go down

Post by setplay 23/08/13, 05:35 am

I asked about the juggling last year and was told "juggling doesn't mean your a great player but I never saw a great player who couldn't juggle". I dont think its the determining factor but its a good way to get noticed in a field full of kids.
setplay
setplay
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer Fanatic 23/08/13, 03:13 pm

I can tell you this much. My daughter won all her 1v1's and did very well at 3v3, 5v5, and full field scrimmages at try outs. She couldn't juggle worth a poop, maybe 10. She is a top D1 player and she ended up on the 4th team. Stick with it though, bc camp is where they can prove themselves and then lots of changes come. ODP is worth it.
Soccer Fanatic
Soccer Fanatic
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/08/13, 03:29 pm

Soccer Fanatic wrote:I can tell you this much. My daughter won all her 1v1's and did very well at 3v3, 5v5, and full field scrimmages at try outs. She couldn't juggle worth a poop, maybe 10. She is a top D1 player and she ended up on the 4th team. Stick with it though, bc camp is where they can prove themselves and then lots of changes come. ODP is worth it.
which IMO is the problem with odp. its kind of checkbox coaching, oh she can juggle, she must be good....your daughter got hosed. i hate to say it but i saw very little movement from groups of players playing in tryouts and 1st practice to camp. they concentrate on the top 2 teams and the rest are just there for the exercise....

Back to top Go down

Post by Default Setting 23/08/13, 04:15 pm

ODP newbie here...so if last year was the 01's first year, did some 02's tryout as well? Like this year has 02/03's out...are they choosing an 03 team too or just taking an early peak? And does that mean they probably already have their 02 top team picked?
Default Setting
Default Setting
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SantaFe 23/08/13, 06:07 pm

I think I read that this is the first year that the U11s were invited. I did hear that some girls (02) already received invites after the 1st practice. I thought that was kind of odd- not sure what the rush was. In any event, it's a good experience.

SantaFe
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Valjoux13 23/08/13, 07:39 pm

Default Setting wrote:ODP newbie here...so if last year was the 01's first year, did some 02's tryout as well?  Like this year has 02/03's out...are they choosing an 03 team too or just taking an early peak?  And does that mean they probably already have their 02 top team picked?
Don't forget - ODP is age pure. So 01's are born between January 1 and December 31 of 2001. It often throws parents off a little to see what they perceive as an "older" or "younger" player out there since most select leagues are based on school age ranges.

Valjoux13
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by turftoe9 24/08/13, 08:59 am

Valjoux13 wrote:
Default Setting wrote:ODP newbie here...so if last year was the 01's first year, did some 02's tryout as well?  Like this year has 02/03's out...are they choosing an 03 team too or just taking an early peak?  And does that mean they probably already have their 02 top team picked?
Don't forget - ODP is age pure.  So 01's are born between January 1 and December 31 of 2001.  It often throws parents off a little to see what they perceive as an "older" or "younger" player out there since most select leagues are based on school age ranges.

This is the 1st year that they have combined age groups. This is what I received from the ODP office.

The below information can be found on our website under the ODP drop down menu at the following link: http://www.ntxsoccer.org/players/odpfaq.aspx

Gary Williamson, NTSSA Director of Coaching and Player Development, will meet with the parents at the end of the last tryouts session in a Q&A format. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Frequently Asked Questions:

When are Tryouts and ODP Pool Registration?
   * 2013/2014 Open Tryouts for the Boys and Girls '97 - '01 pools will be held on Sunday, August 4, and Sunday, August 11, at McInnish Fields in
     Carrollton, TX.
   * 2013/2014 Open Tryouts for the Boys and Girls '02 - '03 pools will be held on Sunday, August 18, Sunday, August 25, and Sunday, September 8 in
     Arlington, TX.
   * ODP players will receive an email annually with the registration link to the ODP Player Pool from the NTSSA ODP Administrator, Shawn Morgan
     shawn@ntxsoccer.org. ODP Player Pool registration begins in September of each year the player participates in ODP.

How is player eligibility determined?
Eligibility for ODP is determined by the player’s birth date, not their soccer year (i.e. a child born in 1997 is a ’97 in ODP). 2013/2014 is the first year we have added a new 2003 pool to ODP. A child born in 2003 is now eligible to participate in ODP.[/color] A child born in 2004 or younger is not eligible to try out for the 2013/2014 seasons. Players born in 1996 or older are considered to be “aged out”. Therefore, they are no longer eligible to participate in ODP.

* A release is not necessary from the player’s Club team to participate in ODP.

What is the cost for Tryouts?
Cost for tryouts is a one-time fee of $50 for ’01 – ’97 boys & girls; cost is $75 for ’02 & ‘03 boys & girls. Last year, cost for Pool was $125 per season ($250 total for the year). Fees are subject to change from one year to the next. Cost is TBD for 2013/2014.

What is the cost for the ODP Player Pool?  
The 2013-2014 Pool Fee is $300 for the entire year. Players may pay in full at the time of registration in September, or they may select to pay in 3 easy payments. If the payment schedule is selected, payments will be automatically charged once a month to the credit/debit card used during registration until the fee is paid in full.

*Selected teams will be formed to attend one camp in the summer. All Pool Fees must be paid in full in order to participate in ODP, and to be eligible for selection to camp and/or other ODP events. More information about the camps becomes available after the selection process late spring.

Is there any type of financial aid or fundraising available?
There are a limited number of scholarships available for Region III Alabama Camp fees only. MOST are PARTIAL scholarships. Scholarships are given on a financial need only basis. Application forms are available through the North Texas Office at camp time only.

My child cannot make it to one of the tryout dates, may run late, or may need to leave early. Is this okay?
My child cannot make it to one of the tryout dates, may run late, or may need to leave early. Is this okay?
We encourage players to attend all tryout sessions available if possible, but their Club/Rec team takes priority over ODP. It is better for a player to arrive late, than not at all. Players may leave early if necessary. The more exposure they can get to the coaches during the tryouts process, the better.

Open tryouts take place annually. Tryouts are announced in The Pitch. We highly recommend interested participants who missed Open Tryouts to subscribe to The Pitch. It is a monthly newsletter from NTSSA provided free of charge. You can register for The Pitch at http://www.ntxsoccer.org/signup.aspx. Or, you can keep an eye on the Events Calendar http://www.ntxsoccer.org for tryouts information as it becomes available. If nothing is posted, tryouts dates/schedules are pending field availability, and not yet available.

How many players will be selected to ODP from Open Tryouts?
There is not a specified number (no min/max) of players accepted to the Player Pools. Pool Players will be selected based on evaluation of performance and ability, in addition to attitude and behavior during tryouts. Players are evaluated by multiple coaches for ODP selection. EVERY player in attendance has the same opportunity to be selected to ODP as the player standing next to them. It is truly up to each individual player as to whether, or not, they will be accepted to the program.

How will my child know if he/she has been selected for ODP from Open Tryouts?
All participants of ODP Open Tryouts will receive a “Letter of Notification” at the end of tryouts notifying them of whether, or not, they have been selected to ODP via the email addresses in the player’s GotSoccer profile. As a result, it is crucial the GotSoccer profile is up-to-date, and accurate, at all times.

Once a player makes the ODP program, what is the time commitment?
Players selected to ODP, will be invited every fall to register in the Player Pool and train with their age/gender group. We schedule 10 2-hour training sessions per year on Sundays; 5 in the fall, 5 in the spring. We, like all others, are subject to cancellations due to inclement weather and/or tournaments receiving priority over our field reservations. Make-up trainings due to unforeseen cancellations are subject to field availability. Five trainings per season are not guaranteed due to possible field cancellations beyond our control. The parks and recreation department controls the cancellations, not our office.

*Players are required to attend a minimum of 4 (40%) of trainings per year for active participation to be eligible for camp selection.

Do we travel to tournaments?
Selected teams will only travel when attending camp in the summer or Sub-Regional Friendly Competitions we receive invites to attend.
   * Occasionally, NTX ODP is invited to travel and compete in “Friendlies” with other State ODP Programs (i.e. North Carolina, Cal-South, South Texas,
     Oklahoma, etc.). Sub-Regional Friendly Competitions are attended by teams consisting of selected players.
   * NTX ODP hosts a Sub-Regional Friendly Competition at the end of the spring season (date to be determined) that, if selected, players will compete
     against available teams from Region III (i.e. OK, LA, MS, etc.).
   * ’02 Girls selected to attend Developmental Camp in Norman, OK will be invited to attend the Sub-Regional Competition.
   * ’02 Boys selected to attend Developmental Camp in Clarksville, AR will be invited to attend the Sub-Regional Competition.
   * ’97 – ’01 Boys and Girls selected to attend Region III camps in Alabama will be invited to attend the Sub-Regional Competition.

** There are NO negative consequences to any ODP player for declining an invitation to ANY ODP event, including summer camp, except for the Player Pool. If a player opts out of the Player Pool, they must undergo tryouts the following year to be readmitted to the program.

** Our office handles ALL travel arrangements for players when traveling to out of the area ODP events which require travel by air (i.e. North Carolina, Cal-South, etc.), or bus (i.e. Region III Alabama Camp).

How many games will we play?
ODP is different from the “regular soccer” players and parents are used to. It is a developmental program. This means players receive a training schedule, not a game schedule. The only time players compete in games is if they are selected, and register, to participate in Regional Friendlies NTX ODP participates, or summer camp.

Are the players assigned to a team, or teams, based upon their skill level?
ODP players belong to a Player Pool, not a team. The only time teams are formed is if we travel to friendlies during the year, and during Region III camps in the summer. Players are selected for friendlies based on “good standing” status and ranking in their Player Pool, in addition to player availability, by their head coach according to their ranking in the pool from the training session evaluations in which they attended. Players are selected to camp based on “good standing” status and ranking in their Player Pool.

Does ODP take into account the players' team schedule when scheduling the training sessions?
We do our best to schedule with as few conflicts as possible for the majority of the Player Pools. However, with the multiple leagues/soccer programs in North Texas, and limited field availability in DFW, this is not always possible. Should a player find themselves in jeopardy of losing their “good standing” status due to conflicts, please contact NTSSA ODP Administrator, Shawn Morgan shawn@ntxsoccer.org, to discuss alternative options.

Where are trainings held?
Trainings are scheduled in the DFW Metro area. The location depends on field availability.

How do we know if a practice has been changed or cancelled?
To view the ODP inclement weather policy, please go to the following link: http://www.ntxsoccer.org/players/inclement%20weather.aspx

When is Camp?
Oklahoma State Soccer Association hosts the Girls Developmental camp that is held on the campus of the University of Oklahoma in Norman. Selected players will travel by bus to and from camp. They will be housed in the university dormitories. Date: in June TBA

Arkansas State Soccer Association hosts the Boys Developmental camp that is held on the campus of the University of the Ozarks in Clarksville. Selected players will travel by bus to and from camp. They will be housed in the university dormitories. Date: in June TBA

After their first year in ODP, selected pool players attend Region III Camp in Alabama. They may travel by bus or plane depending on transportation costs. The boys attend in Tuscaloosa; the girls attend in Montevallo. Once they attend camp in Alabama, they are re-evaluated during camp in the same way our tryouts are conducted for possible selection to the Region III team or National team. All accommodations regarding travel, food, and lodging for camp is made by NTSSA, and cost is covered by the camp fee.

The camp fee schedule for last year was as follows:
   * '01 Girls Developmental Camp in Norman, OK was $650
   * '01 Boys Developmental Camp in Clarksville, AR was $600
   * ’00 Girls in Montevallo, AL was $850
   * ’96 – ’99 (’00) Boys and Girls in Alabama was $880

** Camp fees are subject to change from one year to the next depending on the cost of transportation to camp and Region III camp fees. Region III Camp Date: June - July TBA

What if my child is not selected to attend camp in the summer? Does he/she have to go through tryouts again?
Once a player makes the ODP Player Pool, they will be invited to continue in the Fall & Spring of the following year. As long as players remain in “good standing” by maintaining a current registration, their payments, and continuing their participation in their pool, they will continue to be invited back year after year without being subject to further tryouts.

Who do we contact if we have questions?
Please contact your Team Administrator. Team Administrators are volunteer parents with regular full-time jobs. They graciously volunteer countless hours to ODP to help ensure success to the program. Please be patient to allow them time to respond, often after hours from home. They can best answer questions specific to their pool.

Shawn Morgan shawn@ntxsoccer.org, NTSSA ODP Administrator is the best contact regarding the administrative/clerical portions of the program and can be reached at 972-323-1323 Ext. 107, toll free 1-800-996-8772.

Last Updated: August 2013

Thank you,

https://www.gotsport.com/Content/directors/upimg/dir2175/ntx%20logo%20approved%20by%20bob.jpg          NORTH-TEXAS ODP Shield-[Converted].jpg

North Texas State Soccer Assn

Shawn Morgan, ODP Administrator

3803 Parkwood Blvd., Ste. 200 I Frisco, TX 75034

214-297-5022 Ext. 107 (Main) I 214-297-5030 (Fax)

M-F 8:30 am – 5:00 pm

Last edited by turftoe9 on 24/08/13, 09:46 am; edited 2 times in total
turftoe9
turftoe9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 24/08/13, 09:40 am

Longest post Ive ever seen.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by Valjoux13 24/08/13, 09:39 pm

turftoe9 wrote:
Valjoux13 wrote:
Don't forget - ODP is age pure.  So 01's are born between January 1 and December 31 of 2001.  It often throws parents off a little to see what they perceive as an "older" or "younger" player out there since most select leagues are based on school age ranges.

This is the 1st year that they have combined age groups. This is what I received from the ODP office.

The below information can be found on our website under the ODP drop down menu at the following link: http://www.ntxsoccer.org/players/odpfaq.aspx

Gary Williamson, NTSSA Director of Coaching and Player Development, will meet with the parents at the end of the last tryouts session in a Q&A format. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Frequently Asked Questions:

When are Tryouts and ODP Pool Registration?
   * 2013/2014 Open Tryouts for the Boys and Girls '97 - '01 pools will be held on Sunday, August 4, and Sunday, August 11, at McInnish Fields in
     Carrollton, TX.
   * 2013/2014 Open Tryouts for the Boys and Girls '02 - '03 pools will be held on Sunday, August 18, Sunday, August 25, and Sunday, September 8 in
     Arlington, TX.
   * ODP players will receive an email annually with the registration link to the ODP Player Pool from the NTSSA ODP Administrator, Shawn Morgan
     shawn@ntxsoccer.org. ODP Player Pool registration begins in September of each year the player participates in ODP.

How is player eligibility determined?
Eligibility for ODP is determined by the player’s birth date, not their soccer year (i.e. a child born in 1997 is a ’97 in ODP). 2013/2014 is the first year we have added a new 2003 pool to ODP. A child born in 2003 is now eligible to participate in ODP.[/color] A child born in 2004 or younger is not eligible to try out for the 2013/2014 seasons. Players born in 1996 or older are considered to be “aged out”. Therefore, they are no longer eligible to participate in ODP.

I'm not clear on what you mean, Turftoe. ODP is not combining age groups for teams to my knowledge. According to their own bylaws, their teams are all age pure and composed only of players born in the same year.

Valjoux13
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24/08/13, 10:10 pm

Blank77 wrote:Longest post Ive ever seen.
I vote for a ban.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down