North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Speed and Agility, What age? - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Speed and Agility, What age?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Speed and Agility, What age? - Page 2 Empty Re: Speed and Agility, What age?

Post by futbolfreak 19/12/13, 11:54 am

One other note to wrongsided--it is all about the $ to the people offering the services (I have an 04 btw) so just a caution on that.  Personally, if a coach or someone is telling you that your 05 DD NEEDS to work on being faster or running harder to catch up to her teammates or something like that, then I'd tell them to take a hike and take your DD to some soccer skill work instead or a coach that emphasizes that.   Not that I have a lot of experience but what I've seen in our short years of Academy is that sometimes the coaches and parents have the kids work on things that really are only an advantage to getting wins for the team (being faster, kicking longer & harder, for example) and not what will make our kids better soccer players individually down the road.

Edited: oops, I note you have an older player so you know all this already, LOL!

Last edited by futbolfreak on 19/12/13, 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

futbolfreak
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by futbolfreak 19/12/13, 11:57 am

"You might use some resistance bands to strengthen the adductor and abductor muscles to prevent injuries to the knees." Thanks, Z, we are just now exploring this because as the girls get older and closer to puberty (yikes!) like mine I understand that this is when the muscles have more laxity issues (is that the right word?) and it is when you get more injuries.

futbolfreak
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by turftoe9 19/12/13, 12:00 pm

Zizou wrote:
Zizou wrote:
futbolfreak wrote:Also, I'd be curious to hear what others think about Crull and such.  While I think the agility work (ladders and such) and teaching mechanics of correct running would help, the strength and conditioning training only last while you are consistently doing it, right?  At this stage, I don't care if my kid is fast and strong (believe it or not) so long as she is learning correct techniques that will be there when she is older and she needs to focus on conditioning/strength.  What do you all think?

Agree, no resistence needed, quick feet, preferable with a ball, and agility patterns.

You might use some resistance bands to strengthen the adductor and abductor muscles to prevent injuries to the knees.

Just another way to make money in Texas. I've seen it with my 96 on down. The players will show up with or with out SAQ training. I've seen girls that have done everything that their parents put them through and not even get a look at a D1 school. Let them have a life, if they are good enough they will be found!
turftoe9
turftoe9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19/12/13, 12:05 pm

My dd was about 9 when she started at crull. We're talking about 6,7 year olds?

If I had it do over again I would've stayed away from any specialized saq outside of what the team did at practices until she went select. Would've worked harder to let her enjoy the other sports instead, and made sure any agility training imvolved a ball.

From what I can see the multi sport kids have the most fluid movement patterns when they get older, and are the most comfortable tracking aerial balls. They may not all be the most skilled, but if/when they focus on soccer they close the skills gap very quickly.

Back to top Go down

Post by turftoe9 19/12/13, 12:16 pm

4-3-3 wrote:My dd was about 9 when she started at crull. We're talking about 6,7 year olds?

If I had it do over again I would've stayed away from any specialized saq outside of what the team did at practices until she went select. Would've worked harder to let her enjoy the other sports instead, and made sure any agility training imvolved a ball.

From what I can see the multi sport kids have the most fluid movement patterns when they get older, and are the most comfortable tracking aerial balls. They may not all be the most skilled, but if/when they focus on soccer they close the skills gap very quickly.

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 
turftoe9
turftoe9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19/12/13, 12:51 pm

go99 wrote:what I always caution is that proper techniques are being taught.  Proper technique for soccer is not the same as proper tchnique in track

I'm going to give both track and soccer a go. I guess time will tell if they are compatible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19/12/13, 01:24 pm

4-3-3 wrote:My dd was about 9 when she started at crull. We're talking about 6,7 year olds?

Mine is 8, and the choice is hers not mine. Her choice with her free time beyond soccer is Church, girls scouts, and wrecking the house with her little brother. I own gear for every sport on the list in their sizes. The day they ask is the day they get to try it. I have to ask her, she says no...

Her brother another Kicks kid, very different, has asked to try football. guess where he will be this spring...

Maybe we got lucky with the trainer she has, but he is teaching her about how to improve herself overall and to prevent injury, to include proper hydration, stretching, etc...

Back to top Go down

Post by wrongsided 20/12/13, 06:23 am

[quote="futbolfreak"]One other note to wrongsided--it is all about the $ to the people offering the services (I have an 04 btw) so just a caution on that.  Personally, if a coach or someone is telling you that your 05 DD NEEDS to work on being faster or running harder to catch up to her teammates or something like that, then I'd tell them to take a hike and take your DD to some soccer skill work instead or a coach that emphasizes that.   Not that I have a lot of experience but what I've seen in our short years of Academy is that sometimes the coaches and parents have the kids work on things that really are only an advantage to getting wins for the team (being faster, kicking longer & harder, for example) and not what will make our kids better soccer players individually down the road.

Edited: oops, I note you have an older player so you know all this already, LOL![/quote]

Well its really not about the Mullah and by no means are we rich but we scrape our pennies to make our daughters better.  I guess you can say we are blessed to have our older one graduating this year from Clemson so now our Lil one will benefit from the extra pennies underneath the couch.  Thanks to everyone for their insight, we are going to do the free session at MJP and see how it goes and what they try to sell us.
wrongsided
wrongsided
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 20/12/13, 05:43 pm

wrongsided wrote:
futbolfreak wrote:One other note to wrongsided--it is all about the $ to the people offering the services (I have an 04 btw) so just a caution on that.  Personally, if a coach or someone is telling you that your 05 DD NEEDS to work on being faster or running harder to catch up to her teammates or something like that, then I'd tell them to take a hike and take your DD to some soccer skill work instead or a coach that emphasizes that.   Not that I have a lot of experience but what I've seen in our short years of Academy is that sometimes the coaches and parents have the kids work on things that really are only an advantage to getting wins for the team (being faster, kicking longer & harder, for example) and not what will make our kids better soccer players individually down the road.

Edited: oops, I note you have an older player so you know all this already, LOL!

Well its really not about the Mullah and by no means are we rich but we scrape our pennies to make our daughters better.  I guess you can say we are blessed to have our older one graduating this year from Clemson so now our Lil one will benefit from the extra pennies underneath the couch.  Thanks to everyone for their insight, we are going to do the free session at MJP and see how it goes and what they try to sell us.

That's what we figured! It's not always about the money!

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by PARADIGM 29/01/14, 03:31 pm

Plano Soccer Skills Training now offered by Paradigm Soccer!

- Injury Prevention
- Speed & Agility
- Ball Skills

Info@paradigmsp.com

Last edited by PARADIGM on 25/06/16, 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
PARADIGM
PARADIGM
Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

http://www.paradigmsoccer.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mmorris 02/02/14, 10:40 pm

Does anyone have experience with Velocity Sports Performance in Southlake?
mmorris
mmorris
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by FriscoSoccer2004 03/02/14, 06:17 am

PSP wrote:Paradigm Soccer Performance is holding sessions in Allen starting in February!!

- Injury Prevention
- Speed & Agility
- Ball Skills

Info@paradigmsp.com

No experience with velocity but my DD goes to Paradigm Soccer Performance and really enjoys it.
FriscoSoccer2004
FriscoSoccer2004
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sDad 03/02/14, 02:43 pm

by all means, do some - but be careful not to overtrain on a young, growing body or you will have problems later.
My BB played top level soccer from U-9 on, and had a coach (U-11 to U-14) that did a lot of speed and agility training - too much. I held my BB out of some sessions due to Osgood-Schlatter fears, and fortunately I was right. He would get benched time and again for not attending some of the "fitness" practices, but he more than made up in playing time when all of the other boys on his team were sidelined with OSD...
10sDad
10sDad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2