North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

SAT or High School Soccer Game? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

SAT or High School Soccer Game?

Go down

Take an SAT or play in a High School Soccer Game....what would you do?

SAT or High School Soccer Game? Vote_lcap76%SAT or High School Soccer Game? Vote_rcap 76% 
[ 26 ]
SAT or High School Soccer Game? Vote_lcap24%SAT or High School Soccer Game? Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 34

Poll closed

SAT or High School Soccer Game? Empty SAT or High School Soccer Game?

Post by 97keepersdad 22/01/14, 11:27 am

What would you do?
97keepersdad
97keepersdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

SAT or High School Soccer Game? Empty Re: SAT or High School Soccer Game?

Post by Guest 22/01/14, 11:27 am

kind of sad that you even have to ask frankly, seek help

Back to top Go down

Post by 97keepersdad 22/01/14, 11:29 am

I'm not asking for help deciding. I know what my choice is......just seeing what everyone else thinks.
97keepersdad
97keepersdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/01/14, 11:51 am

good my faith in humanity is renewed :lol

Back to top Go down

Post by boilerjoe_96 22/01/14, 12:06 pm

97keepersdad wrote:I'm not asking for help deciding.  I know what my choice is......just seeing what everyone else thinks.

the game?  Wink 
boilerjoe_96
boilerjoe_96
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by geno105 22/01/14, 02:00 pm

Poor scheduling...take it during district on March 8th instead.
geno105
geno105
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayses coachM 30/01/14, 09:11 am

As a college adviser I see this happen to students all the time.  The adults need to wake up and show that the students future is the ultimate goal. Every year I see students pass up scholarship opportunities (in some cases tens of thousands of dollars) because some coach or director said they had to be at some competition. Unless that activity is paying your way through school take the test.

Last edited by OTB_99G on 30/01/14, 09:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Ayses coachM
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

http://www.OTBsoccer.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 00scrmom 30/01/14, 09:15 am

OTB_99G wrote:As a college adviser I see this happen to students all the time.  The adults need to wake up and show that the students future is the ultimate goal. Every year I see students pass up scholarship opportunities (in some cases tens of thousands of dollars) because some coach or director said they had to be at some competition. Unless that activity is paying your way through school take the test.

cheers cheers cheers 
00scrmom
00scrmom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by scr460 30/01/14, 09:47 am

There is no reason to have to choose. They offer the SAT throughout the year.
October, Nov.,December, January, March, beginning of June.

High School soccer usually only has two tournaments scheduled before district starts.  Soccer schedules are posted at the beginning of the year. Varsity players should be able to schedule around.

Is SAT incredibly important? of course it is, but managing your commitments is also an important life lesson.

scr460
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayses coachM 30/01/14, 09:54 am

Yes often students must choose because to get the required scores retest are often needed. Some students will test 3 or 4 time to gain the required score. This is not a lack of planning on the students part. I agree if a student wait until the last minute to test, but in many cases it is just part of the process.

Ayses coachM
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

http://www.OTBsoccer.net

Back to top Go down

Post by scr460 30/01/14, 10:20 am

I disagree. It is lack of planning if you are a HS soccer player having to take the test in January - Juniors should take the test in the Fall, can retake in March and/or May/June. Seniors can take the test again in October, Nov. or December.
I am sure there are kids struggling to get their scores where they need to be, but that is another topic. Learning to manage your commitments is part of what it takes to be successful in any phase of life.

scr460
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dadof3 30/01/14, 10:54 am

scr460 wrote:I disagree.  It is lack of planning if you are a HS soccer player having to take the test in January - Juniors should take the test in the Fall, can retake in March and/or May/June.  Seniors can take the test again in October, Nov. or December.
I am sure there are kids struggling to get their scores where they need to be, but that is another topic.  Learning to manage your commitments is part of what it takes to be successful in any phase of life.
True in many cases. Students can plan around testing if they are paying attention to their particular situation, but there are some instances where it may be out of a student's control. I know of times when a student may need a slightly higher number in order to get the scholarship or achieve the next level of scholarship (and those may be time sensitive deadlines)...While planning can preclude a lot of that, there is still some of it that can't necessarily be planned for.
dadof3
dadof3
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by scr460 30/01/14, 11:43 am

I think you just made my point.  All high school students should start researching the schools and admission requirements for the schools they are interested in by the end of their sophomore year. The PSAT and PLAN tests taken during your sophomore year are great indicators of where the students test scores are likely to be.  
Then take SAT and ACT tests in the Fall of their junior year having taken whatever appropriate test prep courses they might need to achieve the scores necessary to get admitted and the scholarship levels that are attainable.  By spring of the junior year they should know where they are at and what additional testing (or test prep) is needed.  
My kids have had HS teammates taking the SAT during HS tournaments.  Yes, it happens a lot. I always wonder what the high school football coach would do if a player told him they weren't going to be at a game to take the SAT test that could have been taken a month sooner or later with no conflict. Cool 

scr460
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffM 30/01/14, 12:35 pm

scr460 wrote:I think you just made my point.  All high school students should start researching the schools and admission requirements for the schools they are interested in by the end of their sophomore year. The PSAT and PLAN tests taken during your sophomore year are great indicators of where the students test scores are likely to be.  
Then take SAT and ACT tests in the Fall of their junior year having taken whatever appropriate test prep courses they might need to achieve the scores necessary to get admitted and the scholarship levels that are attainable.  By spring of the junior year they should know where they are at and what additional testing (or test prep) is needed.  
My kids have had HS teammates taking the SAT during HS tournaments.  Yes, it happens a lot.   I always wonder what the high school football coach would do if a player told him they weren't going to be at a game to take the SAT test that could have been taken a month sooner or later with no conflict. Cool 

It depends on if its the starting QB, or 3rd string punter.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by TripDDs 30/01/14, 01:44 pm

So, like most questions this is 100% relative.
TripDDs
TripDDs
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffM 30/01/14, 04:33 pm

TripDDs wrote:So, like most questions this is 100% relative.

Exactly

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by MoveYourFeet 30/01/14, 04:56 pm

There's only one game against Solar Purple East, and it will never be played again. You can always take the SAT another time.
MoveYourFeet
MoveYourFeet
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Zuko 30/01/14, 06:08 pm

A High School tournament game, miss it for the SAT. A district HS game, wouldn't do that personally but they don't happen on Saturday AM. A club game for the SAT, which will be happening if your club team is playing in the FC Dallas Showcase on 3/8, much more difficult decision. Could be if you are looking for college coaches to be scouting you, you don't take the SAT then. But if you do decide to take, then it will give others on the team the opportunity to play more. A Club league game, we would never miss for the SAT.
Zuko
Zuko
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dadof3 30/01/14, 08:05 pm

scr460 wrote:I think you just made my point.  All high school students should start researching the schools and admission requirements for the schools they are interested in by the end of their sophomore year. The PSAT and PLAN tests taken during your sophomore year are great indicators of where the students test scores are likely to be.  
My kids have had HS teammates taking the SAT during HS tournaments.  Yes, it happens a lot.   I always wonder what the high school football coach would do if a player told him they weren't going to be at a game to take the SAT test that could have been taken a month sooner or later with no conflict. Cool 
You are right on most of this, but taking SAT before algebra II is a mistake (and some kids are taking that jr year) and the year of AP English (jr year) is better prep for a lot of kids, so taking it before they have that experience can actually be detrimental in some cases. Agreed that there are multiple times to take it, and avoiding the January one for a soccer player is a BEST option. But bagging a senior taking it to gain $10,000 in scholarships (because the deadline is march 1) with a move from 1800 to 1850 especially if they have taken it a few times and keep making those small strides is something to be commended especially when many of the scholarships are academic/athletic makes sense.
I don't know your situation, but it is different for many, and taking the test in Jan might also be a better option than in March during playoffs??
Just sayin
dadof3
dadof3
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by scr460 30/01/14, 10:32 pm

dadof3 wrote:
You are right on most of this, but taking SAT before algebra II is a mistake (and some kids are taking that jr year) and the year of AP English (jr year) is better prep for a lot of kids, so taking it before they have that experience can actually be detrimental in some cases. Agreed that there are multiple times to take it, and avoiding the January one for a soccer player is a BEST option. But bagging a senior taking it to gain $10,000 in scholarships (because the deadline is march 1) with a move from 1800 to 1850 especially if they have taken it a few times and keep making those small strides is something to be commended especially when many of the scholarships are academic/athletic makes sense.
I don't know your situation, but it is different for many, and taking the test in Jan might also be a better option than in March during playoffs??
Just sayin

Can't let it go... it is all about planning...
HS soccer games are not on Saturdays in March and Playoffs are after spring break
My point is that you should have your student's plan for college figured out sooner rather than later. As I said, take the SAT in the Fall of Junior year for the first go at it. Doubt you would learn much in Algebra 2 or AP English between December test date and January test date that would really make a difference. Junior soccer players can take SAT in spring twice before one or two last shots in Fall of Senior year. Are there exceptions? of course.... Most Texas/southern schools want applications submitted prior to February, some cut off applications in November and December.
Don't know very many seniors still taking tests after first semester. If your child needed to do that, hope that they did well on the test. My experience is that the kids who get their testing done earlier have much more options as scholarships tend to dwindle as the spots get filled by the kids who have met the criteria and submitted early. Some schools have a standard amount of $$ for test scores. Get your test taking done early and you can enjoy the senior year.
Most people on this forum are pretty serious soccer families. If you have been a competitive soccer family for years, hopefully your kid is enjoying playing in High School. for most kids this is the end of the road -

All students should start the process early, and prepare for all the tests when it works best for their schedule. It isn't hard to avoid one test date in January.

scr460
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dadof3 31/01/14, 12:38 pm

scr460 wrote:
dadof3 wrote:
Just sayin

HS soccer games are not on Saturdays in March and Playoffs are after spring break
My point is that you should have your student's plan for college figured out sooner rather than later.  As I said, take the SAT in the Fall of Junior year for the first go at it.  Doubt you would learn much in Algebra 2 or AP English between December test date  and January test date that would really make a difference.  Junior soccer players can take SAT in spring twice before one or two last shots in Fall of Senior year.  Are there exceptions? of course.... Most Texas/southern schools want applications submitted prior to February, some cut off applications in November and December.
Don't know very many seniors still taking tests after first semester.  If your child needed to do that, hope that they did well on the test.  My experience is that the kids who get their testing done earlier have much more options as scholarships tend to dwindle as the spots get filled by the kids who have met the criteria and submitted early.  Some schools have a standard amount of $$ for test scores.  Get your test taking done early and you can enjoy the senior year.
Most people on this forum are pretty serious soccer families. If you have been a competitive soccer family for years, hopefully your kid is enjoying playing in High School. for most kids this is the end of the road -

All students should start the process early, and prepare for all the tests when it works best for their schedule.  It isn't hard to avoid one test date in January.  

Not letting it go a two way street? First, I agreed with you that planning is the best way and being able to avoid a January test is pretty easy to do IN MOST CASES. I also agree with your last statement that it is pretty easy overall to avoid the January test. However, I think you are missing the fact that for some kids, they can't avoid that test, and it seemed like you were upset with some teammates who may have taken the january test, so I was merely pointing out that there may be a legitimate reason that doesn't directly go to their lack of preparation. I have seen it numerous times...the Senior who needs that next shameless self promotion to get a scholarship. or to reach the next level of scholarship by moving the needle from 1800 to 1850. I have personally tutored kids over Christmas break, and sliding the test result in before the February deadline is EXACTLY my argument for that kid...Again, I agree with your overall point, that should be a small number...most kids should have everything lined up, but some just need that small shameless self promotion to finalize their academic side.
As for juniors, IMO, they shouldn't take it before December unless they are only needing a minimum score to show they are a candidate, or if there is a direct request from a college coach because the classes they are in WILL help them. SAT tests through Algebra II, so if the kid takes SAT in October without Algebra II, she can't actually compete on the math section until she has taken the course...Many kids will have taken Algebra II by that point, but the class is usually pretty split between sophomores and juniors. If she waits until she understands the math, she will be better in March, May or June. BTW-I wasn't saying that there would necessarily be a conflict with a game in March, but I deal with a ton of kids who don't test as well on an early Saturday morning the night after a game in which they arrive home at 12...not just the game, the atmosphere that keeps them from their best. I tell my juniours to take the test in March, May or June. Then to test again as necessary after that...They should have it done by November 1. After November 1, you may retake to get those last numbers...hopefully in December...sometimes in January.

And I am in agreement with the gist of your argument.
dadof3
dadof3
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Packrabbit 31/01/14, 11:23 pm

dadof3 wrote:
scr460 wrote:
dadof3 wrote:
Just sayin

My point is that you should have your student's plan for college figured out sooner rather than later.  As I said, take the SAT in the Fall of Junior year for the first go at it.  Doubt you would learn much in Algebra 2 or AP English between December test date  and January test date that would really make a difference.  Junior soccer players can take SAT in spring twice before one or two last shots in Fall of Senior year.  Are there exceptions? of course.... Most Texas/southern schools want applications submitted prior to February, some cut off applications in November and December.
Don't know very many seniors still taking tests after first semester.  If your child needed to do that, hope that they did well on the test.  My experience is that the kids who get their testing done earlier have much more options as scholarships tend to dwindle as the spots get filled by the kids who have met the criteria and submitted early.  Some schools have a standard amount of $$ for test scores.  Get your test taking done early and you can enjoy the senior year.

All students should start the process early, and prepare for all the tests when it works best for their schedule.  It isn't hard to avoid one test date in January.  

Not letting it go a two way street?  First, I agreed with you that planning is the best way and being able to avoid a January test is pretty easy to do IN MOST CASES.  I also agree with your last statement that it is pretty easy overall to avoid the January test.  However, I think you are missing the fact that for some kids, they can't avoid that test, and it seemed like you were upset with some teammates who may have taken the january test, so I was merely pointing out that there may be a legitimate reason that doesn't directly go to their lack of preparation.   I have seen it numerous times...the Senior who needs that next shameless self promotion to get a scholarship. or to reach the next level of scholarship by moving the needle from 1800 to 1850.  I have personally tutored kids over Christmas break, and sliding the test result in before the February deadline is EXACTLY my argument for that kid...Again, I agree with your overall point, that should be a small number...most kids should have everything lined up, but some just need that small shameless self promotion to finalize their academic side.
As for juniors, IMO, they shouldn't take it before December unless they are only needing a minimum score to show they are a candidate, or if there is a direct request from a college coach because the classes they are in WILL help them.  SAT tests through Algebra II, so if the kid takes SAT in October without Algebra II, she can't actually compete on the math section until she has taken the course...Many kids will have taken Algebra II by that point, but the class is usually pretty split between sophomores and juniors.  If she waits until she understands the math, she will be better in March, May or June.  BTW-I wasn't saying that there would necessarily be a conflict with a game in March, but I deal with a ton of kids who don't test as well on an early Saturday morning the night after a game in which they arrive home at 12...not just the game, the atmosphere that keeps them from their best.  I tell my juniours to take the test in March, May or June.  Then to test again as necessary after that...They should have it done by November 1.  After November 1, you may retake to get those last numbers...hopefully in December...sometimes in January.

And I am in agreement with the gist of your argument.

Regardless of the situation, if the kid needs to take the January test, she needs to take the test. The life lesson is that you take care of business before pleasure. If she doesn't don't take of her business, the consequences are that her team gets play that Saturday game without your kid. If she is a good teammate and loves her sport, it is a lesson she won't forget.

Actions and procrastination in life have consequences; its best for young people learn that before they leave home.

Section I: The author of this post's above attempts at humor should be viewed and/or criticized for its entertainment value only. Hopefully, no one's feelings or facts were injured during the production of this post.
Section II: The author does not claim to speak intelligently or with authority about ANY posted topic. The author further acknowledges that any information presented is an opinion most likely based on incomplete observations and should not, in form or fashion, be treated as NEWS or FACTS of any type. All information should be questioned, ridiculed and/or discarded, as deemed appropiate by the individual reader
Packrabbit
Packrabbit
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum