North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
+27790324557 MEET A PROFESSIONA PSYCHIC, SPIRITUAL HEALER ON28/12/23, 07:07 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557STRONG LOVE SPELLS FOR RELATIONSHIPS AND LOVE WH28/12/23, 06:58 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557WE ARE THE ILLUMINATI, REGISTER AS A NEW MEMBER 28/12/23, 06:53 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557THIS IS THE ILLUMINATI JOINING POINT 28/12/23, 06:46 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557 THE REAL ILLUMINATI WHATSAPP NO TO CONTACT US28/12/23, 06:37 amkawayidamirrows
THE REAL ILLUMINATI WHATSAPP NO TO CONTACT US ONLINE IS+277928/12/23, 06:28 amkawayidamirrows
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Dad suing over son's lack of playing time on lacrosse teams Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Kewb11

Our users have posted a total of 205165 messages in 31955 subjects

Dad suing over son's lack of playing time on lacrosse teams

Go down

Dad suing over son's lack of playing time on lacrosse teams Empty Dad suing over son's lack of playing time on lacrosse teams

Post by Joe scafone 08/04/14, 08:44 pm

Interesting lawsuit.
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/25187134/dad-suing-over-sons-lack-of-playing-time-on-lacrosse-field

Joe scafone
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Dad suing over son's lack of playing time on lacrosse teams Empty Re: Dad suing over son's lack of playing time on lacrosse teams

Post by arewethereyet 09/04/14, 01:07 pm

I wish them the best of luck in this suit. There are kids and parents out there being taken avantage of. Coaches telling parents and kids before they sign that contract saying they can earn play time by the kids efforts in practice. Its bs and a gross misrepresentation.
arewethereyet
arewethereyet
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Dad suing over son's lack of playing time on lacrosse teams Empty Re: Dad suing over son's lack of playing time on lacrosse teams

Post by boilerjoe_96 09/04/14, 01:44 pm

Lax is much different than soccer.  Only stuck one year in soccer.  In lax, you have to play for your home area...or get a one time release to play for another.  Since the kid went to private school he got the release...and played for his school, per lax rules he had to play rest of youth career there.  Only a one time release and you are stuck, which gives coach ultimate power.  On the surface it seems silly..and in soccer I would agree.  In lax he could have a case.
boilerjoe_96
boilerjoe_96
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by arewethereyet 09/04/14, 02:19 pm

In terms of soccer though, it's normally a minimum of $2500 to join+ uniform$$ + travel$$ and hotel$$ + gas$$ + tourney$$ + additional training$$..
Just saying it adds up even in the term it's only a year. Also depends on the year, because some years of playing and being seen are more important than others.
arewethereyet
arewethereyet
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MyBall 09/04/14, 02:35 pm

Lesson learned= don't bench the lawyer's kid
MyBall
MyBall
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by twotone 09/04/14, 04:10 pm

might win the lawsuit but good luck finding another coach to accept the kid on the roster. What next? Dad will need to sue to get his kid on ANY team after this.

Always figured that EARNING playing time was apart of any sport. maybe not anymore.

One interesting thing is that the article references the RICO act; that this lawsuit was filed under RICO. FWIW, RICO was the main charge that was used in the 80s-90s to bust the major drug lords and crime families in the USA. I think it involves racketeering and organized criminal activity. how this is relevant to youth sports will be interesting.

twotone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Till-I-Collapse 09/04/14, 05:29 pm

RICO actually stands for Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act. So the corrupt organization could apply.

I don't think anyone would argue about earning playing time, that what we all sign up for. however, if you dont think there is political and/or personal reasons why SOME coaches give playing time, look closely. It happens a lot more than you think and a lot more than it should when you are paying for a service.
Till-I-Collapse
Till-I-Collapse
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by dadof3 09/04/14, 09:35 pm

Till-I-Collapse wrote:RICO actually stands for Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.  So the corrupt organization could apply.  

I don't think anyone would argue about earning playing time, that what we all sign up for. however, if you dont think there is political and/or personal reasons why SOME coaches give playing time, look closely.  It happens a lot more than you think and a lot more than it should when you are paying for a service.

If lawyer/dad can prove that the coach was giving preferential treatment to players who played for the "for pay" team, then he actually has a pretty strong case. It will be pretty difficult to prove unless you can show a pattern or you have some documentation or other evidence...but showing that the players who paid got the lion's share of play time is difficult and defensible if they were clearly better. The sticker is that if the kids have no options but to play for THAT coach and team...and they divided up territory to charge what they wanted and basically extort, then he can prove collusion.
dadof3
dadof3
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Packrabbit 09/04/14, 10:17 pm

Headline is a little deceiving...Can't invoke Rico for a lack of playing time, but the words extortion, fraud make it relevant. Sounds like this lacrosse academy was playing it fast and loose with the rules.

Telling players they need attend particular camps to be able to participate in high school sports is unseemly. If the academy and the school are somehow connected or is a shared interest of the defendants... They are are at least guilty of the appearance of impropriety.

Personally, I strongly dislike it when high school coaches of any sport strongly recommend or refer student athletes to private individuals for paid activities.

Section I: The author of this post's above attempts at humor should be viewed and/or criticized for its entertainment value only. Hopefully, no one's feelings or facts were injured during the production of this post.
Section II: The author does not claim to speak intelligently or with authority about ANY posted topic. The author further acknowledges that any information presented is an opinion most likely based on incomplete observations and should not, in form or fashion, be treated as NEWS or FACTS of any type. All information should be questioned, ridiculed and/or discarded, as deemed appropiate by the individual reader
Packrabbit
Packrabbit
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/04/14, 07:41 am

Packrabbit wrote:Headline is a little deceiving...Can't invoke Rico for a lack of playing time, but the words extortion, fraud make it relevant. Sounds like this lacrosse academy was playing it fast and loose with the rules.

Telling players they need attend particular camps to be able to participate in high school sports is unseemly. If the academy and the school are somehow connected or is a shared interest of the defendants... They are are at least guilty of the appearance of impropriety.

Personally, I strongly dislike it when high school coaches of any sport strongly recommend or refer student athletes to private individuals for paid activities.

+1 Collusion is worse when it's public and nonprofit organizations doing it.

Back to top Go down

Post by oldboot 10/04/14, 08:14 am

Nonprofit????
oldboot
oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CharlieSheen's Brain 10/04/14, 11:54 am

MyBall wrote:Lesson learned= don't bench the lawyer's kid

Winning!
CharlieSheen's Brain
CharlieSheen's Brain
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by twotone 10/04/14, 01:00 pm

One issue that'll likely come up is that lacrosse isn't a UIL-sanctioned sport, so some of the normal high school rules don't apply. i don't know exactly, but I would assume that the HS lacrosse coach can also coach the same group of players in camps and club lacrosse, which is against UIL rules. So those "references" to participate in camps/clinics are legal.

Another thing I can think that would be hard to prove is which player is considered "better". No judge can determine that and a parent would be biased on that. Any expert witness that would be called to testify still couldn't evaluate based on that team's coach's philosophy, or what skills he values more or less than another. The coach can always say "I value these qualities that other players have and this particular player doesn't have them."

twotone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/04/14, 01:54 pm

oldboot wrote:Nonprofit????

Quick internet search shows ECNL, NTX Soccer, LHGCL are 501(c)3 tax exempt organizations. I assume most sports Organizations are.

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague.com/overview/index_E.html
http://www.ntxsoccer.org/about/missionstatement.aspx
http://501c3lookup.org/lake_highlands_girls_classic_league/

Back to top Go down

Post by oldboot 10/04/14, 02:32 pm

Just because an entity has been created as "not for profit" doesn't mean that the people that create and run it don't make any money. Although the company can't distribute a profit at the end of the year, it can pay hefty salaries.  Anyway, I think the LAX clubs mentioned in the article are actually "for profit".
oldboot
oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down