North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
2010G Renegades GCL ELITE14/05/24, 06:56 pmNickicharriere
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:31 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:01 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:55 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:50 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:45 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:40 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:29 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:24 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:19 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:12 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:07 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:02 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:56 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:51 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:46 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:30 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:25 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:19 pmsbarton12
Evolution 2011 Boys Classic League D1 Tryouts09/05/24, 02:21 pmCoach Stuart
EVOLUTION 15B MCGREGOR09/05/24, 02:06 pmLewis McGregor

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

what is ODP and why is is good????? - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205203 messages in 31989 subjects

what is ODP and why is is good?????

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

what is ODP and why is is good????? - Page 2 Empty Re: what is ODP and why is is good?????

Post by Marvelousmar 09/06/14, 11:15 am

The question on if ODP is good or not depends. Are there problems with the system? Yes having gone through it this weekend with my 01 girls and 02 boy. (being a first year member for both). The organization needed a little more help but to me their hearts are in the right place and because so many have been po-poing this process their hands are kind of tied together which make them have to hustle to get folks to participate.
My take from the 01( playing with the 2000’s) I saw many quality (ECNL level) players out there in the games I watched, I saw much more of an attempt to play possession soccer for kids that didn’t even know each other that well. (Probably more then what I saw in a typical Lake Highland division 1 match) So there were less issues with the quality then what I saw in the 02/03’s group. Reason I think (maybe) is that those involved in the program in the older years want to be part of the system and want to make it better.
I believe I had a choice when I took my girl and boy there to make the best of it or complain about what I didn’t like. (Trust me there was a lot and my wife bless her heart probably complained a lot more for me) I looked at it as additional touches at a relatively fair price. Providing the child additional voices that then they usually hear. Also a chance to get out of her and his comfort zone and work and solving soccer problems with different folks. Both kids are going to the regional camps going to give me their impression of the process and the skill level. I just think at the end of the day you get from it what you want to get from it. It beats having the kid stuck on the phone or in front of the TV.

Marvelousmar
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

what is ODP and why is is good????? - Page 2 Empty Re: what is ODP and why is is good?????

Post by dewyoxburger 29/06/14, 03:48 pm

I've talked with several parents, who have also talked to several parents.. This isn't 100% across board, buts it's a very high percentage. Most of the girls 01's and 00's hate ODP training sessions. Why is this? I hear parents saying what they love about it.. But I think the kids involved feel much different.

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by textigerfan 30/06/14, 11:25 am

My DD is in the '00 group and yes, it is common for them to not be excited about it. Mine rarely is beforehand but glad she went afterwards. Also, that ageframe (13-14 or so), most early teens are not all that geared up for anything above the minimum. Especially when it is hot. That is why I have kind of made my DD stick it thru a while longer in hopes of a little maturity to settle in. She has started to see the benefits and has begun to appreciate it more. She is still only 14 though so that is a challenge by itself.
textigerfan
textigerfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 30/06/14, 11:33 am

Wait, they don't get more responsible and mature by then end of their U11 days??? 3-4 more years minimum before that happens?? Need to stock up on some Xanax now I suppose  Crying or Very sad 
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by textigerfan 30/06/14, 01:13 pm

Haha...I would not necessarily say more mature and responsible by then. Just a few more lights may or may not go on. Hoping for easier times but I hear that is further down the road.
textigerfan
textigerfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

what is ODP and why is is good????? - Page 2 Empty 98 odp player experience

Post by DMoo 03/08/14, 07:03 pm

Mine made the pool to go to Al. She loved it. The 98 girls have a great talent. The experience varies depending on the players and coach. She said she learned a lot at the AL camp and is more than happy to sign up again this year. She gets extra chances outside her regular team to do showcase tournaments too. It has definitely been worth the time.

DMoo
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by ONLYASOCCERDAD 03/08/14, 10:17 pm

DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! FIRST YEAR OR TWO IS THE MOST EXCITING. IT'S ALL DOWNHILL AFTER THAT. MORE TRAINING EQUALS "GOOD"

ONLYASOCCERDAD
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05/08/14, 01:29 pm

Are there opportunities for Keepers as well? Or is ODP really just helpful for the field players? I'm curious about the program and would consider it as well but wasn't sure how the handled the keeper position. Do they take 2-3 and all get equal reps/time, etc. Thanks so much.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONLYASOCCERDAD 05/08/14, 01:50 pm

Fullride7 wrote:Are there opportunities for Keepers as well?  Or is ODP really just helpful for the field players?  I'm curious about the program and would consider it as well but wasn't sure how the handled the keeper position.  Do they take 2-3 and all get equal reps/time, etc.  Thanks so much.

all players get equal reps and TRAINING TIME. which is all you need. playing time in games is never equal. nor should it be in competitive soccer. yes ODP is for goalies too Smile

ONLYASOCCERDAD
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by tex_gator 05/08/14, 02:39 pm

My daughter did not play goalie so I have no knowledge of good the training was but the goalies were always split off into side groups, and had a goalie coach working with them.

tex_gator
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05/08/14, 02:40 pm

Thank you so much. Appreciate the feedback.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 06/08/14, 02:59 pm

If your DD wants to do it, it is a pretty cool thing. More touches, different & good coaches, great competition. I think one of the overlooked things is your daughter gets to know and relate to other players not on her team. The socialization aspect can be important. My DD enjoys that part.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Luck 07/08/14, 08:45 am

I have had two DD's in ODP these past two years, emphasis on the word "had."  99 (forward) and 01(goalie).

Bottom line from a cost perspective, if you pay just the fee for entry into ODP and only go to practices for additional touches and instruction it is worth it.  The camps are a joke.  The camps are coached by people that have never seen them before for a few days and each game is a different coach.  Then they somehow came up with a rating system that only serves to destroy any confidence your daughter obtained during their year in NTX ODP.

Sub-regionals are only marginally better.  Your DD will play with other girls they have only seen every other weekend, so true "team play" is out the window and the coach they choose may or may not know their name.

For goalies last year my DD saw a steady rotation of different goalie coaches, only seeing the same coach once.  ODP is as much for development of the coaches as it is for the players.

If you are looking to spend upwards of $1000 for additional training you would serve your daughter MUCH better by taking her to private instruction.
Irish Luck
Irish Luck
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/08/14, 09:08 am

Irish Luck wrote:I have had two DD's in ODP these past two years, emphasis on the word "had."  99 (forward) and 01(goalie).

Bottom line from a cost perspective, if you pay just the fee for entry into ODP and only go to practices for additional touches and instruction it is worth it.  The camps are a joke.  The camps are coached by people that have never seen them before for a few days and each game is a different coach.  Then they somehow came up with a rating system that only serves to destroy any confidence your daughter obtained during their year in NTX ODP.

Sub-regionals are only marginally better.  Your DD will play with other girls they have only seen every other weekend, so true "team play" is out the window and the coach they choose may or may not know their name.

For goalies last year my DD saw a steady rotation of different goalie coaches, only seeing the same coach once.  ODP is as much for development of the coaches as it is for the players.

If you are looking to spend upwards of $1000 for additional training you would serve your daughter MUCH better by taking her to private instruction.

this is completely spot on. odp is a colossal waste of time and money. I think of it as a pyramid scheme. Those in the bottom subsidize the top. You are better hiring a skills coach and use your time and money more effectively...

Back to top Go down

Post by backpost 08/08/14, 08:42 am

silentparent wrote:
Irish Luck wrote:I have had two DD's in ODP these past two years, emphasis on the word "had."  99 (forward) and 01(goalie).

this is completely spot on. odp is a colossal waste of time and money. I think of it as a pyramid scheme. Those in the bottom subsidize the top. You are better hiring a skills coach and use your time and money more effectively...

Agree with both of these comments.  if you have the money and time, then extra touches never hurt, although burnout is a possibility.

but ODP has changed in the last 10 years; in those early years with my oldest daughter, the teams were solid and most of the top players participated.  but now, not so much.  my youngest daughter is on one of the top d1 teams, and a couple of years ago we scrimmaged an ODP team from our age group.  the ODP team could not get the ball across the center line; we played the entire scrimmage in their defensive end.  

anyone heard anything about this "city" team that spirit, mustangs, etc, are forming?

backpost
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by WestsideSoccer 08/08/14, 10:50 am

backpost wrote:
silentparent wrote:

Agree with both of these comments.  if you have the money and time, then extra touches never hurt, although burnout is a possibility.

but ODP has changed in the last 10 years; in those early years with my oldest daughter, the teams were solid and most of the top players participated.  but now, not so much.  my youngest daughter is on one of the top d1 teams, and a couple of years ago we scrimmaged an ODP team from our age group.  the ODP team could not get the ball across the center line; we played the entire scrimmage in their defensive end.  

anyone heard anything about this "city" team that spirit, mustangs, etc, are forming?

they are making a group to play NPL

WestsideSoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ONLYASOCCERDAD 08/08/14, 11:01 am

SoccerShocker wrote:I want take a moment and thank everyone that has posted or PM'd me on this topic...  this is very helpful in understanding not just the true nature of the ODP program but also helps us decide whether all the begging our DD is doing to try out is really worth the extra $$$...  I guess we all pay for skills and such to help our DD get the most out of soccer, sounds like this is just another avenue to help her grow and is relatively inexpensive from the sounds of it.  Also sounds like everyone that has been a part of it has benefited somehow and in turn benefited the team their DD was on.  Good information.

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

ONLYASOCCERDAD
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 25/09/14, 07:11 pm

My dd loves it and loves the keeper coach they got last year. She is a smaller keeper that holds the ncaa record for most shutouts at Oklahoma. She has made good friends and it builds her confidence. I dont understand how the teams work because the keepers just rotate around to all the fields and never have a set team. The out of state camps have been to expensive for us so we havnt been to one yet

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by threecents 06/08/15, 04:20 pm

patricklikesu wrote:ODP is more practice and more games with more players. It is just that, more.

There is nothing "Olympic" about it and "Development" is subjective. It is in fact a "Program" and the name has a good ring to it around the water cooler and on Facebook.

Wow, I had no idea. You'd think they should mention that on the "What is ODP" section of the website:
http://www.stxsoccer.org/what_is_odp/

I also thought the "Olympic" trademark is famously enforced. I just assumed ODP was affiliated.

threecents
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeGarcia 06/08/15, 04:57 pm

After the first year, unless you are on the first team and go to the camps and games, then for most it is nothing more than glorified practice and skills sessions.
Although most everyone there is quality, so it can be a good addition to your DD's training.
Plus it sounds cool to be on the team.
Mine has her acceptance letter framed.

It was $350 last year.
You get a uniform with 2 jerseys, a backpack, and 10 quality 2-hour training sessions.
Worth it to us.

JoeGarcia
JoeGarcia
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dallas 1968 06/08/15, 06:16 pm

ODP has nothing to do with Olympic Development. If it did it wouldn't cost so much and the US Olympic Committee would be picking up the tab (they've got the money). ODP is just another way of getting in your wallet.

dallas 1968
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 06/08/15, 09:37 pm

Most everything in pay to play soccer is a pyramid scheme...why single out odp. Who do you think subsidizes the id2 players that attend training events free of charge? Who is footing the bill for the ecnl players on scholarship?

Second, the regional training events are setup exactly like us club...you pay for travel, then meals and lodging are provided.

Third, people are throwing away exposure opportunities with this attitude their daughter is too good for odp. Many of the id2 players from other states can be found at odp camps.  Nearly the entire tophat 01 team that is headed to ecnl plays odp for georgia. The same fwd that ran rampant through DDs club team was at odp, and our ntx 01 team apparently did very well against the tophat girls at camp.  

I keep hearing this talk about the level of odp...but then i go watch 01 odp team play better as a unit with more possession and creative combination play than majority of club teams.  I go look at the names in the regional pools and it's many of the same players recognized nationally in other venues. Not every state still sends top quality players through...but MANY do. Funny we keep talking about socal as the standard bearer...you wont find socal dogging odp on their forums,  as they apparently consider it an honor when their kids are selected to represent their state.

Parents should realize many of the coaches involved with odp are college coaches. Getting your kid access to as many different quality coaching voices is important.

Yes, it is expensive...but so is everything else. We go to a 3 day tournament and spend more than odp dues. We go to usys regionals and spend more on hotels and food than it costs to send a player to odp camp.

If you can afford it, and your dd enjoys it, do it. It's been well worth it for my kiddo, and she's made friends from other clubs (and states) she wouldn't have been exposed to were it not for odp.

Back to top Go down

Post by SantaFe 06/08/15, 10:23 pm

First off, 4-3-3, I'm not stalking you! Smile

Thanks for those words and hearing (again) the counterpoint. My daughter is going through ODP tryouts now and I was starting to question whether we would even join if she's invited. Hope she is, and sure we will!

SantaFe
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 06/08/15, 10:32 pm

If your player wants to get better, do more work. ODP is one avenue to do more work. There are many avenues and regardless of all the sales pitches, they will all require hard work in order to produce the desired results. Nobody has a magic elixir. Anybody starts selling me on anything but hard work and my brain just tunes them out, cuz I know they're lying and I don't need to hear it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 06/08/15, 11:23 pm

OLJW wrote:If your player wants to get better, do more work. ODP is one avenue to do more work. There are many avenues and regardless of all the sales pitches, they will all require hard work in order to produce the desired results. Nobody has a magic elixir. Anybody starts selling me on anything but hard work and my brain just tunes them out, cuz I know they're lying and I don't need to hear it.

Absolutely correct. Clubs dont make players. Coaches don't make players. Ecnl nor id2 nor us club soccer makes players. Odp doesnt make players either. Players that have the passion and discipline to put time into their game...year after year...are the ones that keep progressing. My only point is quit falling for the okie doke  put on forums that odp is a waste of time. It's not anymore a waste of time than any other avenue if the player takes full advantage of their opportunity.

I don't have any vested interest in selling odp. In fact my dd was one of the few kids on her club team rejected by ntx odp the first year she tried out at u11. She took the dissappointment as motivation to keep working. I'm just relaying her experience...odp is a small piece of her development pie, but it is a piece that has helped her. Even if she quits odp tomorrow, we got our money's worth.

Back to top Go down

Post by #9156 07/08/15, 05:45 am

My daughter didn't make it the first year either. Worked hard, the second year she not only made it but made the state team & went to AL. I never thought she could make it (alone) at camp for a week - or maybe I didn't think I could make it through the week with her gone. Either way, we both did!! Another plus...she has friends in Florida, Alabama, NC, & STX and knows more girls here in NTX.

Is ODP good? It is what you make it, pretty much like everything else, my $0.02!

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next