North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Evolution 2011 Boys Classic League D1 Tryouts09/05/24, 02:21 pmCoach Stuart
EVOLUTION 15B MCGREGOR09/05/24, 02:06 pmLewis McGregor
Evo 13B McGregor, PPIL, Colleyville/Southlake/Grapevine09/05/24, 01:47 pmLewis McGregor
EVOLUTION 14G MCGREGOR/GRAPEVINE/SOUTHLAKE/COLLEYVILLE09/05/24, 01:37 pmLewis McGregor
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

One of the problems with NTX soccer Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205180 messages in 31966 subjects

One of the problems with NTX soccer

Go down

One of the problems with NTX soccer Empty One of the problems with NTX soccer

Post by My Money Pit 24/02/16, 05:07 pm

I have been part of the NTX soccer scene (at the Academy level) for a couple of years now and thought I had a pretty good understanding of how things operated, but yesterday I witnessed a first. This has to do with ringers/guess players. I understand most of the logic behind using guess players (getting a feel for the team, getting extra touches, helping team "x" get more wins...) and I'm fine with that, but yesterday during a semifinal indoor game (8v8) for the 08 age group we were playing a coach that had two squads, an A and a B squad. Our team had been playing the B squad during league play all winter. Being that this was a semifinal I figured the coach would probably bring a player or two from her A squad to help this team win the game (only normal for this area), but to my amazement that wasn't the case. She didn't bring a couple of guess players she had brought a whole guess team. She brought the entire A squad and had left the B squad at home I guess. In the end it didn't matter because we beat them anyway, but if this is what we are teaching our children at a very young age then there are bigger issues in NTX than just USWNT placements. I'm sure this has happened before, but how often does it happen here, and what are we demonstrating to our children by doing so.
My Money Pit
My Money Pit
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

One of the problems with NTX soccer Empty Re: One of the problems with NTX soccer

Post by SWGSB 52 24/02/16, 08:00 pm

Don't worry because it gets better. At U11 it's called Club Player Pass and at U14 it's called Dual Rostered.

The parents will cry foul just the same but no one listens because we won a trophy at the of the season.

In your specific situation, I'm sure the coach was just getting ready for the change to calendar year age groups and was trying out their AP team.
SWGSB 52
SWGSB 52
Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

One of the problems with NTX soccer Empty Re: One of the problems with NTX soccer

Post by yellowcard5 25/02/16, 09:12 am

What is a guess player? Is it kind of like "guess" who is going to show up today?

Is it different than a guest player?

Very Happy

yellowcard5
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ElClassico 25/02/16, 09:24 am

My Money Pit wrote:I have been part of the NTX soccer scene (at the Academy level) for a couple of years now and thought I had a pretty good understanding of how things operated, but yesterday I witnessed a first. This has to do with ringers/guess players. I understand most of the logic behind using guess players (getting a feel for the team, getting extra touches, helping team "x" get more wins...) and I'm  fine with that, but yesterday  during a semifinal indoor game (8v8) for the 08 age group we were playing a coach that had two squads, an A and a B squad. Our team had been playing the B squad during league play all winter. Being that this was a semifinal I figured the coach would probably bring a player or two from her A squad to help this team win the game (only normal for this area), but to my amazement that wasn't the case. She didn't bring a couple of guess players she had brought a whole guess team. She brought the entire A squad and had left the B squad at home I guess. In the end it didn't matter because we beat them anyway, but if this is what we are teaching our children at a very young age then there are bigger issues in NTX than just USWNT placements. I'm sure this has happened before, but how often does it happen here, and what are we demonstrating to our children by doing so.

Mistake #1, you assume NTX soccer is about the children. Twisted Evil
ElClassico
ElClassico
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Relegated 25/02/16, 10:46 am

My Money Pit wrote:I have been part of the NTX soccer scene (at the Academy level) for a couple of years now and thought I had a pretty good understanding of how things operated, but yesterday I witnessed a first. This has to do with ringers/guess players. I understand most of the logic behind using guess players (getting a feel for the team, getting extra touches, helping team "x" get more wins...) and I'm  fine with that, but yesterday  during a semifinal indoor game (8v8) for the 08 age group we were playing a coach that had two squads, an A and a B squad. Our team had been playing the B squad during league play all winter. Being that this was a semifinal I figured the coach would probably bring a player or two from her A squad to help this team win the game (only normal for this area), but to my amazement that wasn't the case. She didn't bring a couple of guess players she had brought a whole guess team. She brought the entire A squad and had left the B squad at home I guess. In the end it didn't matter because we beat them anyway, but if this is what we are teaching our children at a very young age then there are bigger issues in NTX than just USWNT placements. I'm sure this has happened before, but how often does it happen here, and what are we demonstrating to our children by doing so.

Just to play devil's advocate -

May I ask why the other team doing this bothers you?
Relegated
Relegated
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by yellowcard5 25/02/16, 11:37 am

"Just to play devil's advocate -

May I ask why the other team doing this bothers you?"

My guess would be because they were going to have an easy path to the elusive 8v8 indoor championship.  The fact that the opposition busted out the A team made it more difficult.

I wonder where the problem lies in this.  They got to play better competition and still won.  Seems to me that someone focused on "development" would be happy that the situation occurred as it did.  

Win/Win.  Not sure I see anything wrong with this.

Last edited by yellowcard5 on 25/02/16, 01:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

yellowcard5
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ElClassico 25/02/16, 01:13 pm

yellowcard5 wrote:"Just to play devil's advocate -

My guess would be because they were going to have an easy path to the elusive 8v8 indoor championship.  The fact that the opposition busted out the A team made it more difficult.

I wonder where the problem lies in this.  They got to play better competition and still one.  Seems to me that someone focused on "development" would be happy that the situation occurred as it did.  

Do you not think it's unfair to the B team? Those girls earned the chance to play in the championship game, but the coach comes in and tells them "good job girls! now step aside"
ElClassico
ElClassico
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Hamster 25/02/16, 01:25 pm

Our North Texas system is plagued with issues like this.

The end result: how many USWNT players are North Texas Soccer alumns?
Mia Hamster
Mia Hamster
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by yellowcard5 25/02/16, 01:45 pm

ElClassico wrote:
yellowcard5 wrote:"Just to play devil's advocate -

I wonder where the problem lies in this.  They got to play better competition and still one.  Seems to me that someone focused on "development" would be happy that the situation occurred as it did.  

Do you not think it's unfair to the B team? Those girls earned the chance to play in the championship game, but the coach comes in and tells them "good job girls! now step aside"

Let's be honest, the likelihood of that happening is not very good. More likely is that a)the B team had some sort of conflict or b)the OP was exaggerating about rolling out the entire A team or c)the B team has been treated like this before and left the club, leaving only the A team available to play.

No coach in their right mind would play a particular team all season only to say, please leave now and let the A team finish this out. That would be coaching suicide and a sure way to lose an entire team of revenue generating players.

Is it really feasible to think that 10-12 sets of parents all sat back and let a coach do that to their kids? It would be plastered all over this place, by them, not the opposition.

yellowcard5
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jogobonito06 25/02/16, 02:04 pm

See this sort of thing all the time. Maybe not the entire team, but close enough. 18-19 kids at 9v9 outdoor game. 3-4 "platinum-level" players to "support" a full-rostered silver-level team. One guy tried to sneak 2 players into a 5v5 final indoor game that weren't on the team all season. The other team asked for a roster check and when the 2 were not allowed to play - the parents and coach actually cried foul - loudly!! How dare they not let us cheat! Extra touches!! Development!!

Could easily name 5-6 coaches and 1 or 2 clubs that do it consistently and are still in business. And thriving. Most parents are sheep.

The D-word has become the great catch-all phrase to cover a multitude of ills with youth sports. Concepts like fair play and sportsmanship are buried deep in the muck.
jogobonito06
jogobonito06
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down