North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
2010G Renegades GCL ELITE14/05/24, 06:56 pmNickicharriere
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:31 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:01 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:55 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:50 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:45 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:40 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:29 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:24 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:19 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:12 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:07 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:02 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:56 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:51 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:46 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:30 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:25 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:19 pmsbarton12
Evolution 2011 Boys Classic League D1 Tryouts09/05/24, 02:21 pmCoach Stuart
EVOLUTION 15B MCGREGOR09/05/24, 02:06 pmLewis McGregor

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Congrats to the ODP Participants who earned spots - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205203 messages in 31989 subjects

Congrats to the ODP Participants who earned spots

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Congrats to the ODP Participants who earned spots - Page 2 Empty Re: Congrats to the ODP Participants who earned spots

Post by Nathanial Hörnblowér 30/01/17, 03:24 pm

Thanks for your post Shake- that's pretty spot on.

Another thing I didn't mention is the tryout. I don't see how having your daughter go through the process of trying out/making a supposed "elite" team could be considered anything but a valuable experience, at least from a confidence building standpoint.

I don't know how much can be attributed to ODP, but she's absolutely a better and more confident player since having joined.

And yes, she's on a top ten D1 team, and most of the girls she played with over the weekend are D1 players as well. I was very impressed with most of them.

Nathanial Hörnblowér
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Congrats to the ODP Participants who earned spots - Page 2 Empty Re: Congrats to the ODP Participants who earned spots

Post by Lefty 30/01/17, 03:27 pm

Shake_and_Bake wrote:
Nathanial Hörnblowér wrote:What a nice thing to say.

NH, No use arguing with the masses on this one.  From  past threads on this topic, it's clear most posters don't have any recent first hand experience with ODP.  I agree with your earlier post, I know of a few 06 starters on top ten D1 teams that didn't get invited following tryouts.  Generally speaking, the parents of the ones who did get invited have very good things to say about the program.

As girls mature, smaller club players look for outside options to stay challenged and get exposure.  ODP serves it's purpose for some of the smaller club players and a few big club players.  For example, this past weekend at College Station the top 04 team was largely comprised of starters on LH D2 teams at the top of the standings and various LH D1 players.  The combined team was LH D1 talent.  Elite level, probably not, but a notch above some of the 04 JDL teams I have seen.    

Even at the 03 level, I am aware of multiple top starters on D1 LH teams that played in the ODP tournament this past weekend.  Are they they norm, no, but the top 03 team this weekend did have it's share of D1 talent.  Some will complain that the talent pool is thin at the 03 level and beyond.  Sure..fine...It drops off quickly, but the top 15-18 players at least at the 03 age are high quality.  Beyond 03 (U14), I don't have any first hand experience.

If the talent trend stays consistent, you can get at least 3 more years out of ODP.  Best of luck on your journey NH.

I am one of those with no recent first hand experience with ODP.

What I think some of the 'masses' you refer to are looking at is how does the ODP pool today compare with the ODP pool 5-7 years ago.

In the not so far past the NTX ODP team typically consisted of players would today be starters on most any ECNL team. There was always politics involved, but in my first hand experience they usually had 20 or so of the best 40 NTX girls for each age group.

Or looking at it from a future perspective, it would have been an all star group from the DA teams to the degree politics allowed.

Don't know if that is the talent pool in ODP today, and if it is not that is fine. It still fills a role, just not the same one as in the past.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 30/01/17, 04:21 pm

My DD is one year removed from the ODP program. Oklahoma year one and Montevello the following three years. Recruiting started her 8th grade year not one college in the process has asked her or made any mention of her ODP experience. It won't be long before the talent disappears and players begin to show up with their shin guards outside their socks.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathanial Hörnblowér 30/01/17, 04:22 pm

I guess college should be the only reason we do anything. Rolling Eyes

Nathanial Hörnblowér
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 30/01/17, 04:25 pm

I guess the next thing your going to say are the training sessions are next level along with the knowledge of the game she is receiving. Lol

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathanial Hörnblowér 30/01/17, 04:36 pm

No, because I don't think that.  I know she's getting more touches, and that the kids she plays with/against are good players.  And she's having fun.  That's it.  And it's year one- we haven't signed a lifetime contract that I know of.

It's pretty cool being able to see the good and bad in situations rather than being absolute and rigid.  

Then again, maybe my daughter just sucks at soccer and I can't see it thru my ODP colored glasses.  Right? Cool

Nathanial Hörnblowér
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 30/01/17, 04:37 pm

That's harsh, I would never say that and neither should you. Just believe ODP could have been so much more.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathanial Hörnblowér 30/01/17, 04:44 pm

Funny.

Nathanial Hörnblowér
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kick_tha_ball 30/01/17, 06:53 pm

Lefty wrote:
Shake_and_Bake wrote:

NH, No use arguing with the masses on this one.  From  past threads on this topic, it's clear most posters don't have any recent first hand experience with ODP.  I agree with your earlier post, I know of a few 06 starters on top ten D1 teams that didn't get invited following tryouts.  Generally speaking, the parents of the ones who did get invited have very good things to say about the program.

As girls mature, smaller club players look for outside options to stay challenged and get exposure.  ODP serves it's purpose for some of the smaller club players and a few big club players.  For example, this past weekend at College Station the top 04 team was largely comprised of starters on LH D2 teams at the top of the standings and various LH D1 players.  The combined team was LH D1 talent.  Elite level, probably not, but a notch above some of the 04 JDL teams I have seen.    

Even at the 03 level, I am aware of multiple top starters on D1 LH teams that played in the ODP tournament this past weekend.  Are they they norm, no, but the top 03 team this weekend did have it's share of D1 talent.  Some will complain that the talent pool is thin at the 03 level and beyond.  Sure..fine...It drops off quickly, but the top 15-18 players at least at the 03 age are high quality.  Beyond 03 (U14), I don't have any first hand experience.

If the talent trend stays consistent, you can get at least 3 more years out of ODP.  Best of luck on your journey NH.

What I think some of the 'masses' you refer to are looking at is how does the ODP pool today compare with the ODP pool 5-7 years ago.

In the not so far past the NTX ODP team typically consisted of players would today be starters on most any ECNL team.  There was always politics involved, but in my first hand experience they usually had 20 or so of the best 40 NTX girls for each age group.

Or looking at it from a future perspective, it would have been an all star group from the DA teams to the degree politics allowed.

Don't know if that is the talent pool in ODP today, and if it is not that is fine.  It still fills a role, just not the same one as in the past.

5-7 years ago, there weren't as many personal coaches or "soccer gurus" around offering more options than there are today. Nowadays, everybody is a skills expert and claims to offer the best training methods out there. Parents, always looking for the next great thing for our future Alex Morgans, will try any and everything to get our kids that edge. When more options are available, the old ways will always fall behind. My DD played in the friendlies this weekend and as someone said earlier, there was some really good, competitive soccer played. Some of those girls are very talented and if they stay with it, whether through ODP, DA, ECNL or working with the skills "expert", some have a good shot at developing into good high school or college players and maybe further.
kick_tha_ball
kick_tha_ball
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 31/01/17, 08:22 am

kick_tha_ball wrote:
Lefty wrote:
Shake_and_Bake wrote:

In the not so far past the NTX ODP team typically consisted of players would today be starters on most any ECNL team.  There was always politics involved, but in my first hand experience they usually had 20 or so of the best 40 NTX girls for each age group.

Don't know if that is the talent pool in ODP today, and if it is not that is fine.  It still fills a role, just not the same one as in the past.

5-7 years ago, there weren't as many personal coaches or "soccer gurus" around offering more options than there are today. Nowadays, everybody is a skills expert and claims to offer the best training methods out there. Parents, always looking for the next great thing for our future Alex Morgans, will try any and everything to get our kids that edge. When more options are available, the old ways will always fall behind. My DD played in the friendlies this weekend and as someone said earlier, there was some really good, competitive soccer played. Some of those girls are very talented and if they stay with it, whether through ODP, DA, ECNL or working with the skills "expert", some have a good shot at developing into good high school or college players and maybe further.

And to challenge yourself to participate in any tryout or cut down process and succeed is a great accomplishment and life lesson.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Boy Bentley 27/02/17, 07:24 pm

The kids that are there want to be there and love the game and compete for spots from talented and good kids. As a group they will all improve and compete in LH and premier leagues as the continue their journey on their perspective teams. It's all good at the ODP and my daughter doesn't want to miss any of it. She knows there's no games but what is earned on the field of play. I tell her keep working hard and good things will happen.
Big Boy Bentley
Big Boy Bentley
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 27/02/17, 07:55 pm

Cool

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by FCT2016 27/02/17, 08:16 pm

Fact is you will get better training at most NTX clubs. ODP is just not all that.

FCT2016
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by coachdom23 27/02/17, 09:00 pm

BBB doesn't have time for Kool-Aid or commas.
coachdom23
coachdom23
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Boy Bentley 27/02/17, 09:06 pm

I'm always thirsty for some good Kool aid.
Big Boy Bentley
Big Boy Bentley
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TatonkaBurger 28/02/17, 08:38 am

Drink the kool aid that is part of your monthly club dues.  Or pay an additional 3 grand for kool aid that's real watered down.  

Stay thirsty my friend.
TatonkaBurger
TatonkaBurger
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Boy Bentley 02/03/17, 07:18 pm

You must be eating those mushrooms again on your quarter pound w cheese. The Club fees discussion is another thread like ECNL DA. The ODP is a 10th of that amount. You really have no clue. I don't know why you even have any reason to comment on this topic w your crazy talk. You must be a JDL wannabee.
Big Boy Bentley
Big Boy Bentley
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerjack 03/03/17, 12:11 pm

BigboyBentley wrote:You must be eating those mushrooms again on your quarter pound w cheese.  The Club fees discussion is another thread like ECNL DA. The ODP is a 10th of that amount. You really have no clue. I don't know why you even have any reason to comment on this topic w your crazy talk. You must be a  JDL wannabee.

Now there's a good argument. Will jdl ever be relevant vs is Odp still relevant?
soccerjack
soccerjack
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 03/03/17, 12:42 pm

ODP is relevant?

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 03/03/17, 01:08 pm

Zizou wrote:ODP is relevant?

I think it is relevant.

Forgot ODP in my other post

Generally seems like the direction things are moving for a geography like NTX:
. DA will become the primary path to the top half of the D1 College programs
. ECNL will become a good path to the second tier of D1 schools, D2 & other programs
. other leagues (and ODP) will be a source for a few players here and there to work their way into some of the D1s but primarily D2 & others
. There will always be exceptions but the odds will be long.

The path and odds will be different for other geographies where DA is not within a reasonable commute

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 03/03/17, 01:18 pm

My DD have gone through the program. She has experienced zero advantage in the recruiting process from being a part of ODP.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by soccersleuth 03/03/17, 01:32 pm

Lefty wrote:
Zizou wrote:ODP is relevant?

I think it is relevant.

Forgot ODP in my other post

Generally seems like the direction things are moving for a geography like NTX:
. DA will become the primary path to the top half of the D1 College programs
. ECNL will become a good path to the second tier of D1 schools, D2 & other programs
. other leagues (and ODP) will be a source for a few players here and there to work their way into some of the D1s but primarily D2 & others
. There will always be exceptions but the odds will be long.

The path and odds will be different for other geographies where DA is not within a reasonable commute

well put, agree completely

soccersleuth
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TatonkaBurger 03/03/17, 04:17 pm

BigboyBentley wrote:You must be eating those mushrooms again on your quarter pound w cheese.  The Club fees discussion is another thread like ECNL DA. The ODP is a 10th of that amount. You really have no clue. I don't know why you even have any reason to comment on this topic w your crazy talk. You must be a  JDL wannabee.

Good one 3B.  Remember you are the one touting ODP and how much talent there is.  The rest of us are skeptical of your comments because we have actually seen it.  And I obviously overstated but if you come out of your tremendous ODP year without spending $2k with pool fee, uniform kits, and travel expenses, I will be surprised.  But to each his own.

And you calling me a "JDL wannabee" says everything...........
TatonkaBurger
TatonkaBurger
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ForReal 03/03/17, 11:24 pm

TatonkaBurger wrote:

Good one 3B.  Remember you are the one touting ODP and how much talent there is.  The rest of us are skeptical of your comments because we have actually seen it.  And I obviously overstated but if you come out of your tremendous ODP year without spending $2k with pool fee, uniform kits, and travel expenses, I will be surprised.  But to each his own.

And you calling me a "JDL wannabee" says everything...........

BBB is new to the scene and admittedly drinks the juice.  Doesn't know Tatonka's position on things.

Putting that aside, laugh all you want about JDL, but out of the 120 or so 05 JDL players, and BBB's DD is an 05, how many even tried out for ODP? Or went to the College Station event? Yet, didn't NTX somehow field something like 3-4 ODP teams?

ForReal
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathanial Hörnblowér 05/03/17, 12:37 pm

Just two.

Can't speak to the 05s, but there were plenty of JDL players in the 06 group.

Nathanial Hörnblowér
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Boy Bentley 16/03/17, 03:57 pm

It's time to order my greasy burger and milk shake again.
Big Boy Bentley
Big Boy Bentley
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next