North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

FIFA considering shootouts instead of PK's in case of a draw Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

FIFA considering shootouts instead of PK's in case of a draw

Go down

FIFA considering shootouts instead of PK's in case of a draw Empty FIFA considering shootouts instead of PK's in case of a draw

Post by Guest 27/01/17, 12:03 pm

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/01/18/fifa-shootouts-penalty-kicks-mls-van-basten-world-cup-2026

I know this was experimented with back in early days of the  MSL and even further back in the old NASL.
As the parent of a keeper I am torn on whether this is a good idea or not. I am a firm believer of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". However, I do think the Run up Shootout evens up the odds for the keeper and adds for a more exciting game.
Just my thoughts, would love for other keeper parents to chime in.

Back to top Go down

FIFA considering shootouts instead of PK's in case of a draw Empty Re: FIFA considering shootouts instead of PK's in case of a draw

Post by 08keepermom 27/01/17, 01:15 pm

As a former keeper from that era, I love the idea.  PKs are all about the player - pretty much put the ball on target and you are guaranteed for it to go in.  The keeper is guessing, ok maybe educated guessing, but still guessing, which way to move.  The run up shootout gives the keeper a chance to use some skill in the contest:  attack fast, cut the angle, and react.  It also requires more skill from the player, making it a better tie breaker.  And much more interesting to watch, kind of like the NHL.

Now, as a keeper mom...  scares me to death!  Every time I see my daughter come out and attack in a 1v1 situation I hold my breath and pray.  But I also think she would love it.

08keepermom
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

FIFA considering shootouts instead of PK's in case of a draw Empty Re: FIFA considering shootouts instead of PK's in case of a draw

Post by Jackie Moon 27/01/17, 01:48 pm

Love this idea.  The odds start to lean in favor of a good keeper and puts way more pressure on the shooter.  I know my daughters success rate of 1v1 is much higher than facing PKs.
Jackie Moon
Jackie Moon
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by davito 27/01/17, 01:51 pm

Eric Wynalda and Jonathan Kraft are spot on that it was stupid and embarrassing that we made up rules like this.

There is nothing wrong with draws in league play. To settle league games like this would be an abomination.

In terms of replacing penalty shootouts in tournaments with this I don't see the point. Penalties are not a very satisfactory solution but the run up shootout is similarly arbitrary. So don't fix the situation unless the fix is significantly better in my opinion.

Now substitutions on the fly, that may have some potential. They could be facilitated by the 4th official and avoid unnecessary time wasting and break of the flow at the end of games.
davito
davito
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 27/01/17, 02:47 pm

I think PK's definitely give shooter upper hand. Clean is right that this will help even the playing field a little. It does require that the player utilize more skill so it would definitely be beneficial. They already use this in many of the small sided games anyway.
Keepermom I definitely think it is more terrifying to watch a player wind up and nail one at my DD than to have her go out and enact a little self preservation towards a forward. 2 cents that is all.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by SoccerDad75070 28/01/17, 09:54 am

From my island of few that see nothing wrong with golden goal extra time - I see this just as non-team and arbitrary as pk's

SoccerDad75070
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 28/01/17, 10:38 am

People expecting the goals is what makes the saves so great. Leave it alone!

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29/01/17, 01:00 pm

Yes that is correct, but those saves are far and few between. PKs reach speeds of up to 125 mph and are over in less than a quarter of a second. The keeper has to make a decision on how to stop the shot before the ball is struck. They have to guess. PKs overwhelmingly favor the shooter.

A study on penalty kicks was done by Ben Gurion University of the Negev in Israel. They looked at 286 penalty kicks from professioal leagues in Europe and South America as well as the Europe Championships and World Cup.

- 85% of the penalty shots placed on goal were successful

- 80% to the lower one third were successful

- 100% to the upper third were successful

- 87% to the center were successful

- 83% to the outer third were successful

The current system favors the shooter. The run up shootout will even the playing field and cause both the shooter and the keeper to get creative in their respective tactics. In turn will make for a more entertaining finish to a game.

I would even welcome a compromise. Half the distance from the run up and current pk spot and allow the keeper to come off their line. At the very least allow the keeper to come off their line when the whistle blows, if they chose to do so.

Back to top Go down

Post by twotone 31/01/17, 11:37 am

In a 0-0 game after 90 minutes, and an extra 30 minutes after that, why would I want the GK to have an advantage so that we have less goals to be scored?

twotone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 08keepermom 31/01/17, 11:47 am

twotone wrote:In a 0-0 game after 90 minutes, and an extra 30 minutes after that, why would I want the GK to have an advantage so that we have less goals to be scored?

Using that logic, why have a keeper at all during PKs? Wouldn't want the keeper to limit the number of goals scored.

08keepermom
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 31/01/17, 11:51 am

08keepermom wrote:
twotone wrote:In a 0-0 game after 90 minutes, and an extra 30 minutes after that, why would I want the GK to have an advantage so that we have less goals to be scored?

Using that logic, why have a keeper at all during PKs?  Wouldn't want the keeper to limit the number of goals scored.
Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 31/01/17, 11:59 am

Cleansheets wrote:
08keepermom wrote:

Using that logic, why have a keeper at all during PKs?  Wouldn't want the keeper to limit the number of goals scored.
Rolling Eyes
Maybe we should just take the goals out too. Just use the end line. That way twotone DD won't be bothered by those mean spirited crossbar and posts.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 00GKdad 31/01/17, 01:39 pm

I've never been a fan of shootouts. As a parent of a keeper I would really hate to see them go into the professional game.

If FIFA goes to shootouts so will the youth matches, and high school games around here don't end in ties. High schoolers would have to endure a significant number of shootouts per season. I've never seen a keeper hurt in a PK, but I've seen more than a few go down and stay down after a 1v1.

00GKdad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by upper95 01/02/17, 12:08 am

It hasn't been that long since HS soccer transitioned from shootouts to kicks.
Ball was placed 35 yards out. attacker had 5 seconds to shoot after whistle, keeper could come off line on whistle. if keeper fouled, there was a PK.

had a playoff game go 16 rounds where the losing keeper stopped 14 and the winner stopped 15. good keepers defeat average field players.

upper95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 01/02/17, 04:07 pm

When was it, sometime in the 80's that Calender year was changed to school year. Now we are back to calendar year. Change is inevitable. Things change and then they come back.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01/02/17, 04:12 pm

That's why I am still holding on to my parachute pants and Chess King shirts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down