North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Interesting Article Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Interesting Article

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Interesting Article Empty Interesting Article

Post by Soccer_Mom_03 16/07/18, 09:57 am

My husband just shot this article to me, and I thought it was incredibly relevant to the conversations that have been dominating this forum lately.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook/2018/07/16/whats-killing-youth-soccer-in-america-is-also-hurting-most-every-other-sport/#792261c61ea8

Soccer_Mom_03
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Interesting Article Empty Re: Interesting Article

Post by Guest 16/07/18, 10:33 am

Anyone else see the tremendous irony in that article being published in Forbes?

Back to top Go down

Post by Foxysoccermom 16/07/18, 10:56 am

Interesting point about rec soccer declining. The local associations have been gutted by the clubs. Makes you wonder if they will just be fielding 3 yr old leagues soon.
Foxysoccermom
Foxysoccermom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by ProDallas 16/07/18, 11:01 am

It is an interesting and timely article. However, articles like this making the same points are written and published all the time. What this, and the many other articles like it, lacks are clear insights into solutions to the challenges outlined. I would encourage Mr. Cook to research and provide a follow-up piece focused on solutions to each of the challenges he outlined.

If he's so passionate about this cause, I encourage Mr. Cook to meet those kids at his son's school and introduce them to some club teams in their community. There's a lot of teams in the Chicagoland area where his bio says he's from. In general, all the people with opinions about soccer in America need to focus their energy on solutions rather than writing the same old articles about everything that's wrong. We all know clubs provide financial support to talented players who need help.

Meanwhile, all we can do as parents is provide our own DDs with the best opportunities to grow in the game and maximize their potential. And, if we see kids with what we perceive to be great talent, though from families without financial means, we can certainly help steer them to the clubs that provide financial aid if we feel so inclined.
ProDallas
ProDallas
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SoccerDad75070 16/07/18, 12:53 pm

And another interesting one:

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/07/the-downsides-of-americas-hyper-competitive-youth-soccer-industry/565109/

SoccerDad75070
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by brazos 16/07/18, 01:31 pm

Foxysoccermom wrote:Interesting point about rec soccer declining. The local associations have been gutted by the clubs. Makes you wonder if they will just be fielding 3 yr old leagues soon.

Funny you say that but I see more and more 4-6 year old's just going straight to trainers/small clubs instead of playing rec ball.

brazos
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerhuh18 16/07/18, 04:35 pm

SoccerDad75070 wrote:And another interesting one:

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/07/the-downsides-of-americas-hyper-competitive-youth-soccer-industry/565109/

I find it really interesting that, with so many articles addressing the issue, parents are still somehow able to ignore the staggering statistics of early burnout and overuse injuries, because their kids “love it so much and don’t want to do anything else.” The system needs to be fed to stay alive. I fully blame parents with insane priorities.

soccerhuh18
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AlittleBitofSanity 16/07/18, 04:45 pm

soccerhuh18 wrote:

I find it really interesting that, with so many articles addressing the issue, parents are still somehow able to ignore the staggering statistics of early burnout and overuse injuries, because their kids “love it so much and don’t want to do anything else.” The system needs to be fed to stay alive. I fully blame parents with insane priorities.
'

the parents are definitely to blame- we drain the fun out of it. we feel that if our child is one of the better players in rec, he is not being pushed enough. this is really not limited to sports. goes the same for academics. only difference is that academics can actually lead to a brighter future- club soccer (for 99.9999999%) will not. I do think the overuse injury argument is "overused". I do think that baseball is guilty of it (throwing the ball fast every day), but not in soccer. our kids play a fraction of what most kids around the world play. injuries are injuries- can happen from playing every day or a freak accident on the playground.

AlittleBitofSanity
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer_Mom_03 16/07/18, 04:51 pm

soccerhuh18 wrote:

Absolutely! How many parents are living vicariously through their kids though? I already said something like this before—- it’s just too fun to be able to post “At State Cup, watching Little Susie play with (Insert team name here).”

Soccer_Mom_03
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16/07/18, 05:13 pm

As far as burnout goes, have always used a simple barometer with my kids.

Are they motivated to go to practice? If I tell them 2 hours before "This is what time we have to leave for practice. You need to be dressed and ready to go, have your gear together, have your water jug filled. I'm not going to remind you. If you're not ready to go, we're not going."

If they are ready to go and reminding YOU that it's time to leave for practice, then they are motivated, having fun, and getting the social interaction that they need.

If you are having to drag them off the couch and out the door, a change is in order.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 16/07/18, 05:17 pm

Yes, so quit blaming the clubs for producing a profitable soccer platform for all the irrepressible, vicarious living through others, rich parents.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by TxFutbal 16/07/18, 05:20 pm

Didn't you hear.. the bigs are forming a diaper division and Mr. Rourk's sidekick is gonna be the DOC.. I wonder if the tots will get punished and be sent to their crib with no milk if they can't get that overlap down by the end of summer 2-a-days.

Whatever happened to cupcakes after a game and going to the concession stand and asking for a suicide soda? this world is getting out of control

TxFutbal
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by BENDMEOVER 17/07/18, 01:11 pm

That's some good stuff Maynard. Might want to teach self-defense classes as well.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerhuh18 17/07/18, 01:28 pm

AlittleBitofSanity wrote:
soccerhuh18 wrote:

Maybe, but girls should not be having surgery for torn ACL’s at 12...

the parents are definitely to blame- we drain the fun out of it.    we feel that if our child is one of the better players in rec, he is not being pushed enough.    this is really not limited to sports.  goes the same for academics.     only difference is that academics can actually lead to a brighter future-   club soccer (for 99.9999999%) will not.   I do think the overuse injury argument is "overused".   I do think that baseball is guilty of it (throwing the ball fast every day), but not in soccer.   our kids play a fraction of what most kids around the world play.   injuries are injuries-   can happen from playing every day or a freak accident on the playground.  

soccerhuh18
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AlittleBitofSanity 17/07/18, 02:19 pm

you can tear you ACL playing hacky-sack. maybe it should be rephrased that we put too much emphasis on the games and the kids over-exert themselves so their parents dont get mad after the game.

AlittleBitofSanity
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerhuh18 17/07/18, 04:30 pm

AlittleBitofSanity wrote:you can tear you ACL playing hacky-sack.  maybe it should be rephrased that we put too much emphasis on the games and the kids over-exert themselves so their parents dont get mad after the game.    
ACL tears in young female athletes have increased by 2.5% every year for 20 years. That seems like a lot. Because I have two daughters who like sports, I pay attention to that kind of stuff and it’s all research by doctors and universities. Girls are more suceptible because of their physiology, and there are preventative measures that can be taken, but that doesn’t take away the fact that it’s a growing problem that is widely attributed to early sports specialization.

soccerhuh18
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AlittleBitofSanity 17/07/18, 05:19 pm

soccerhuh18 wrote:
AlittleBitofSanity wrote:you can tear you ACL playing hacky-sack.  maybe it should be rephrased that we put too much emphasis on the games and the kids over-exert themselves so their parents dont get mad after the game.    
ACL tears in young female athletes have increased by 2.5% every year for 20 years. That seems like a lot. Because I have two daughters who like sports, I pay attention to that kind of stuff and it’s all research by doctors and universities. Girls are more suceptible because of their physiology, and there are preventative measures that can be taken, but that doesn’t take away the fact that it’s a growing problem that is widely attributed to early sports specialization.

I agree with your statement. I think all kids should play more than one sport. my kids all do. think baseball is the most dangerous in that department. asking a kid to throw as hard as they can over and over everyday is dangerous. cant strengthen a ligament. I think another layer to this is how physical youth soccer has become. coaches definitely are looking for the bigger/stronger kids vs. the skilled players. coaches equate hitting and physicallity to effort. where you find a big difference is between coaches that have their own kids vs ones that don't.

AlittleBitofSanity
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BENDMEOVER 17/07/18, 06:12 pm

We all have choices to make for our kids. Do we continue feeding something that is killing the love of the game or do we make a change.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 17/07/18, 06:28 pm

Dude, killing the love of the game? Lol, so many options and places to play in North Texas.. the opinions expressed on this board are of the minority.. Most parents do not spend time watching this board and the kids could careless.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by BENDMEOVER 17/07/18, 07:08 pm

Read the article you might learn something today.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by dreadpirateroberts 17/07/18, 07:22 pm

The problem isn’t the clubs- it’s who’s playing in them. IMHO 70% of the kids in club should be playing rec. they are getting half ass coaching and care more about the social aspect. But they have all left and drained rec.
dreadpirateroberts
dreadpirateroberts
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 17/07/18, 08:23 pm

SoccerSuckers wrote:Read the article you might learn something today.

I would learn a whole hell of a lot more if you wouldn’t continue to post. I bet your one of those in the office that is so negative and down no one wants to be around you. See I learned something today! I completely understand that everything on the internet you read must be true.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by BENDMEOVER 17/07/18, 08:41 pm

Big business has spoken. Dangling that gold.
BENDMEOVER
BENDMEOVER
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by BigKickKiddo 18/07/18, 07:50 am

This is the same re hashed conversation that happens year in and year out on here. Im just waiting for the next Tard to come on here saying something about multi sport athletes and "off season". your kid wants to play soccer and they are decent at it, you play club. Period. Yes you pay for it, but thats the US System, its never going to change. ACL, MCL, TCL, JDL. Who cares, injuries happen, you cant control it. Pretty sure you can still get a weak in at Theatre camp if you want.

As for starting kids young in club, I started 1 kid at 8 after 4 years in rec, my second kid I started in club at 4. Window licking Daddy ball just instills bad behavior and is wasted time when they can learn so much at a young age. Participation trophies, 50/50 play, all ruining the game. Rec soccer is like my college softball "Beer League".
BigKickKiddo
BigKickKiddo
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BENDMEOVER 18/07/18, 08:19 am

Read the article Big Business. Your talking your language. The clubs are killing the foundation of soccer and kids aren't playing it as much. People aren't going to pay for soccer if they cant afford it. If you continue to suck up rec teams and coaches kick them to curb and players thrown to the system it's only going to trend even further. Let's talk about that and what the article really says.

Dangling fool's gold.
BENDMEOVER
BENDMEOVER
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next