North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
2010G Renegades GCL ELITE14/05/24, 06:56 pmNickicharriere
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:31 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:01 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:55 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:50 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:45 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:40 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:29 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:24 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:19 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:12 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:07 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:02 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:56 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:51 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:46 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:30 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:25 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:19 pmsbarton12
Evolution 2011 Boys Classic League D1 Tryouts09/05/24, 02:21 pmCoach Stuart
EVOLUTION 15B MCGREGOR09/05/24, 02:06 pmLewis McGregor

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

long term development...what coaches stand out? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205203 messages in 31989 subjects

long term development...what coaches stand out?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

long term development...what coaches stand out? Empty long term development...what coaches stand out?

Post by a bowl of rice krispies 05/02/19, 10:14 am

The years between 10-15 are the formative years in soccer development. Who are the coaches in '08 classic league (D1 & D2) that are known for their development of young talent?

To clarify, i want to know who are the coaches that develop the player's mind (soccer IQ) and focus on the passing/possession game. I know there are some great teams out there that play a fast/strong long ball game, but I am not interested in that style.

Who are those coaches and what are their training sessions like?

a bowl of rice krispies
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

long term development...what coaches stand out? Empty Re: long term development...what coaches stand out?

Post by CATX 05/02/19, 10:23 am

Mckinney is one of the best coaches around imo. We've been with him a few years and impressed with how my BB and other kids have grown under his coaching. If you go to his training sessions they are very similar to DA practices...possession based drills, quick movement and decision making, discussion about positional awareness etc.

CATX
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

long term development...what coaches stand out? Empty Re: long term development...what coaches stand out?

Post by Guest 05/02/19, 04:12 pm

Allegiance 08 Pedro is the only 08 team that passes and focuses on possession. They pass the ball 400 times per game, it is absolutely beautiful to watch them play. Pedro is the only coach I have seen that has his team playing real soccer. The rest play long ball, 20 passes kick and go long ball. Check out Pedro's Allegiance FC youtube channel and his contact information is on Facebook under Allegiance FC or their website.

Back to top Go down

Post by LiverpoolDad 05/02/19, 04:21 pm

scuba steve = Coach Pedro.

If not, I wish my wife looked at me the way Scuba Steve looks at Pedro

LiverpoolDad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by FCForça 05/02/19, 09:35 pm

I loathe all that passing for the sake of it, all that tika It’s so much rubbish and has no purpose. You have to pass the ball with a clear intention, with the aim of making it into the opposition”s goals “

“I hate tiki-taka. I always will. I want nothing more to do with tiki-taka. Tiki-taka is a load of shit, a made-up term. It means passing the ball for the sake of passing, with no real aim and no aggression – nothing, nothing. I will not allow my brilliant players to fall for all that rubbish.”

Pep

Last edited by FCForça on 06/02/19, 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

FCForça
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 06/02/19, 10:18 am

I loathe this ugly 20 pass per game long ball freak show with "American" soccer. I was ok with it for my son's 08 team because they are young and still learning. Then on the way back from the bathroom durning my kid's classic league game I saw Allegiance 08. At 1st I thought they must be older or could be a different more advanced league because they were passing the ball around like a miniature premier league team. I couldn't believe and it ruined it for me, Im so jealous my son is not getting the training the Allegiance players are getting. Soccer is a passing game, 99% of the time a player will pass the ball, passing is absolutely the most important skill.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwight 06/02/19, 11:40 am

Why do many think that possession soccer is the right way to play? I agree that kickball is not beneficial to a kids development, but there different styles that still work. If that was the case, every top team in the world would play possession based soccer. Direct soccer uses passing to attack as quickly as possible. Is there an issue if a team builds out of the back and scores in 3 or 4 passes? There's also a defensive minded style that incorporates counter attacking. I think it's just a matter of the coaches style, and the type of players he has. It doesn't mean one style is better than the other.

IMO Mckinney teaches a more direct approach. His team's string together passes but look to attack, whereas Pedro's teams tend to be more patient and hold the ball a lot more. Both styles work.
Dwight
Dwight
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by a bowl of rice krispies 06/02/19, 02:36 pm

Dwight wrote:Both styles work.

I agree with this 100%.  Passing for the sake of passing is silly.  A well rounded player/team can adjust.  

However, I believe that this is the age to hone in on how to play a passing/possession style as it takes more to perfect.  Once the player is older, it's harder to teach or too late.  For that reason, a coach that puts more focus on p/p style is preferred at this point in player development.

a bowl of rice krispies
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by BoKnows 06/02/19, 07:43 pm

a bowl of rice krispies wrote:The years between 10-15 are the formative years in soccer development.  Who are the coaches in '08 classic league (D1 & D2) that are known for their development of young talent?

To clarify, i want to know who are the coaches that develop the player's mind (soccer IQ) and focus on the passing/possession game.  I know there are some great teams out there that play a fast/strong long ball game, but I am not interested in that style.

Who are those coaches and what are their training sessions like?

You want development?  Pedro, period.  He’s done more with more a smaller pool of boys than any other club.  As a bonus, your kid will learn accountability, discipline, patience and more intangibles. Ask the Allegiance kids and many will tell you Pedro is the only coach they want to play for which is why he does not lose many kids to the DA. At this point , IMO, direct vs tiki taka are irrelevant because wins don’t count right now. People wont remember who won what tournament or classic league game when the kids are older. However, I guarantee coaches will notice a properly developed player. BTW, I am not an Allegiance sales guy and I don’t care where your kid plays.

BoKnows
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Seed 06/02/19, 10:01 pm

Scuba Steve cracks me up, so thorough in his description of Pedro's team, there is a true love there. BoKnows has some work to do to get to Scuba's level. With that being said, I humbly disagree with their assessment on development. I have seen two teams that pass the ball well and play a possession game, Allegiance and McKinney. Pedro gets a lot of credit for developing kids based of of his 07 team that is incredibly solid. A lot of that 07 success is a function of our kids going age pure a few years back and Pedro picking up a couple of studs from other programs that folded. That being said he has done a great job of keeping those kids and developing them. What you don't see (regardless of what Scuba will tell you) is that kind of development on the 08 team. What we have actually seen is a regression. Teams that Allegiance 08 used to beat or hang with are beating them soundly now, so I'm not sure if its Pedro's ability to develop or lucking into some real natural athletes on the 07 team, time will tell.

McKinney on the other hand plays that same style of soccer at a higher level. From what I have observed their kids are every bit as disciplined, patient, and accountable as Pedro's kids, they just seem to be superior skilled athletes right now. Looking at the results from last summer on, when Solar lost some pieces and added some pieces, they have grown and developed more than any other team IMO.

Seed
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 1a2b3c 07/02/19, 10:40 am

Good assessment Seed……. But luck doesn’t make a team play the way they play. It takes a great Coach.
I remember when that team showed up out of nowhere. They were a silver team couldn’t compete with the gold teams. We used to crash them before going select. Now they’re crashing everybody including the DA teams. Luck or development??? Same players too.

08s are regressing??? Wasn’t Pedro trying to recruit all fall season because he didn’t have any subs? I heard he added some top DA players from Solar and FCD. @Scuba Steve can you confirm?

Mckinney and Pedro play two different styles of play. Mckinney plays a more disciplined and organized style of play. Good and more direct passes. Pedro plays a more creative passing and dribbling game.

1 - Pedro - Develops better players. Plays a more difficult style of play. Better for the kids long term.

2 - Stravou - have been doing it for decades. Just not as much luck on the player pool.

3 - Mckinney - Recruits better players. Plays a more direct passing game. Good for immediate success. Good for the kids.

4 - Lopez - Doing a lot with less. Strong team, a lot of heart. Doesn’t have a clear style of play yet.

5 - Foster - From Ayses to Liverpool, those have boys have grown a lot.

1a2b3c
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Ntxsoccerfan08 07/02/19, 10:55 am

1a2b3c wrote:1 - Pedro - Develops better players. Plays a more difficult style of play. Better for the kids long term.

2 - Stravou - have been doing it for decades. Just not as much luck on the player pool.

3 - Mckinney - Recruits better players. Plays a more direct passing game. Good for immediate success. Good for the kids.

4 - Lopez - Doing a lot with less. Strong team, a lot of heart. Doesn’t have a clear style of play yet.

5 - Foster - From Ayses to Liverpool, those have boys have grown a lot.

long term development...what coaches stand out? Braved10

Ntxsoccerfan08
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ntxsoccerfan08 07/02/19, 11:34 am

1. I will concede to the fact that Pedro does have a good development plan in place. But that doesn't mean he develops better players.

2. Stavrou. STAVROU???? I watched his team play in Classic league and they played garbage long ball. Not even an attempt to possess or control the ball. Not even calculated kickball. No luck in the player pool? in the center of the metroplex?

3. McKinney RECRUITS better players? negative. With the exception of 1 or 2 players, those kids have been with McKinney for years and years, which means he helped develop them into the players they are now.

Ntxsoccerfan08
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by a bowl of rice krispies 07/02/19, 03:08 pm

Ntxsoccerfan08 wrote:With the exception of 1 or 2 players, those kids have been with McKinney for years and years, which means he helped develop them into the players they are now.

I think that is the key...consistency.  Find a good coach with a stable team AND a team of parents who have the same long term goal.

Parents often get in the way of what is best for the player...focusing too much on win/loss vs developing.  You have a couple key players whose parents take them elsewhere for a "better" team and a domino effect is likely.

a bowl of rice krispies
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/02/19, 06:27 pm

Glad to hear Allegiance added players, one sub and another with a cast on his leg was what I remember from the fall.

Back to top Go down

Post by LiverpoolDad 07/02/19, 06:36 pm

Scuba. Is this one of the Allegiance videos you are talking about? My favorite is at the 1:30 mark where 2 defenders stand 3 yards from each other and literally pass to each other 21 times.  That's how allegiance gets their 40 consecutive passes huh? That's kinda embarrassing to watch.  As for the rest of the video, one good goal and the other 2 are off of opponent errors. I'm not impressed. Ill take McKinney style soccer over that any day.

LiverpoolDad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Badknees 07/02/19, 07:21 pm

I did hear that Pedro added an 08 that was FCD U12 DA and left for some reason. That team might be on the up. I’d still take McKinney solid team from goal keeper to forward even missing that big defender.

Badknees
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rst72 07/02/19, 07:31 pm

I’ll add Texans Rosales to the mix since the poster is asking for D2 as well.

rst72
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by BoKnows 07/02/19, 07:33 pm

LiverpoolDad wrote:

Scuba. Is this one of the Allegiance videos you are talking about? My favorite is at the 1:30 mark where 2 defenders stand 3 yards from each other and literally pass to each other 21 times.  That's how allegiance gets their 40 consecutive passes huh? That's kinda embarrassing to watch.  As for the rest of the video, one good goal and the other 2 are off of opponent errors. I'm not impressed. Ill take McKinney style soccer over that any day.

Liverpool, didn't Allegiance win this game something like 5 or 6 to 0. Also, didn't Allegiance have possession the majority of this game? If you want to compare the Allegiance team to the McKinney team I'd say that's quite the compliment to Allegiance because Allegiance does not have comparable resources; Allegiance is an independent team. So what exactly is embarrassing? That the boys were passing to one another while they were not being pressured? What if one of the boys had stood there and done nothing, would that have been ok? Or was it embarrassing because YOU think it would have been best to move the ball forward? McKinney is an excellent team, btw.

BoKnows
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by LiverpoolDad 07/02/19, 07:46 pm

BoKnows wrote:
LiverpoolDad wrote:

Liverpool, didn't Allegiance win this game something like 5 or 6 to 0.  Also, didn't Allegiance have possession the majority of this game?  If you want to compare the Allegiance team to the McKinney team I'd say that's quite the compliment to Allegiance because Allegiance does not have comparable resources; Allegiance is an independent team.  So what exactly is embarrassing?  That the boys were passing to one another while they were not being pressured?  What if one of the boys had stood there and done nothing, would that have been ok?  Or was it embarrassing because YOU think it would have been best to move the ball forward?  McKinney is an excellent team, btw.

Didn't Allegiance have possession the majority of the game? Seriously?  With passing sequences like that? Are there not more productive ways to utilize 21 touches? What did that series accomplish other than to brag about breaking a u12 passing record or something ridiculous like that? In Europe, even if an opponent is not pressuring, you would almost never see 2 players pass back and forth 21 times while standing 3 yards from each other. THAT is why I say its embarrassing.

Last edited by LiverpoolDad on 07/02/19, 07:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

LiverpoolDad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by LiverpoolDad 07/02/19, 07:53 pm

rst72 wrote:I’ll add Texans Rosales to the mix since the  poster is asking for D2 as well.  

I have heard that Rosales is a good individual skills trainer. However, I am not too impressed with his tactical coaching. His teams have some highly skilled players, but they tend not to do well in competition from what I have seen

LiverpoolDad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BoKnows 07/02/19, 08:07 pm

LiverpoolDad wrote:
BoKnows wrote:
LiverpoolDad wrote:

Liverpool, didn't Allegiance win this game something like 5 or 6 to 0.  Also, didn't Allegiance have possession the majority of this game?  If you want to compare the Allegiance team to the McKinney team I'd say that's quite the compliment to Allegiance because Allegiance does not have comparable resources; Allegiance is an independent team.  So what exactly is embarrassing?  That the boys were passing to one another while they were not being pressured?  What if one of the boys had stood there and done nothing, would that have been ok?  Or was it embarrassing because YOU think it would have been best to move the ball forward?  McKinney is an excellent team, btw.

Didn't Allegiance have possession the majority of the game? Seriously?  With passing sequences like that? Are there not more productive ways to utilize 21 touches? What did that series accomplish other than to brag about breaking a u12 passing record or something ridiculous like that? In a Europe game, even if the opponent is not pressuring, you would almost never see 2 players pass back and forth 21 times while standing 3 yards from each other. THAT is why I say its embarrassing.

Seriously, what?  Do you think they did that the whole game?  Did you watch the WHOLE game or are you making  horrible assumptions based off a 2 or 3 minute clip?  Passing the ball the back and forth 21 times is VERY fundamental but these are 11 YEAR OLD BOYS.  And you do realize you compared Allegiance to a Euro.pean style of play where soccer is a dominant sport.  That in itself is a huge compliment.  It sounds like Pedro could teach you a little about patience meaning that as Allegiance grows, develops and matures that those "embarrassing" passing sequences will ultimately lead to better things as the boys develop.  Allegiance is evolving.

BoKnows
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by LiverpoolDad 07/02/19, 08:22 pm

BoKnows wrote:
LiverpoolDad wrote:
BoKnows wrote:
LiverpoolDad wrote:

Didn't Allegiance have possession the majority of the game? Seriously?  With passing sequences like that? Are there not more productive ways to utilize 21 touches? What did that series accomplish other than to brag about breaking a u12 passing record or something ridiculous like that? In a Europe game, even if the opponent is not pressuring, you would almost never see 2 players pass back and forth 21 times while standing 3 yards from each other. THAT is why I say its embarrassing.

Seriously, what?  Do you think they did that the whole game?  Did you watch the WHOLE game or are you making  horrible assumptions based off a 2 or 3 minute clip?  Passing the ball the back and forth 21 times is VERY fundamental but these are 11 YEAR OLD BOYS.  And you do realize you compared Allegiance to a Euro.pean style of play where soccer is a dominant sport.  That in itself is a huge compliment.  It sounds like Pedro could teach you a little about patience meaning that as Allegiance grows, develops and matures that those "embarrassing" passing sequences will ultimately lead to better things as the boys develop.  Allegiance is evolving.

Why would I have watched the whole game? I only watched the clip that Pedro himself put out there. And I didn't compare Allegiance to a Euro.pean team. Scuba and a few others on here are doing that...If you track, you will see that I am insinuating that a Euro.pean team would never do that. I know you got happy there when you thought I was comparing Allegiance to overseas teams. If you enjoy Pedros style, then more power to you. That's definitely your preference. I will admit that using the word embarrassing was probably a bit harsh to use in this thread. If Pedro had never claimed to have broken u12 passing records, etc, I probably would have paid it no mind. But seeing people brag about putting together 30-40 passes when 20+ of said passes are like that, is just crazy to me.

LiverpoolDad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BoKnows 07/02/19, 08:36 pm

Liverpool, so out of curiosity, since you’ve ruled out “overseas“ style of play, what style of play would you say Allegiance plays?

BoKnows
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/02/19, 10:14 pm

Allegiance 07 are fantastic, what was embarrassing for them about the video? The other team.was back not pressuring so Allegiance defenders passed back.and forth baiting the attackers to move up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum