North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
2010G Renegades GCL ELITE14/05/24, 06:56 pmNickicharriere
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:31 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:01 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:55 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:50 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:45 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:40 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:29 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:24 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:19 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:12 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:07 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:02 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:56 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:51 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:46 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:30 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:25 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:19 pmsbarton12
Evolution 2011 Boys Classic League D1 Tryouts09/05/24, 02:21 pmCoach Stuart
EVOLUTION 15B MCGREGOR09/05/24, 02:06 pmLewis McGregor

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Real Colorado leaving Girls DA - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205203 messages in 31989 subjects

Real Colorado leaving Girls DA

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Real Colorado leaving Girls DA - Page 2 Empty Re: Real Colorado leaving Girls DA

Post by Big Ern 15/03/20, 05:55 pm

One woulda thought that this wouldn't have been such a secret, but given most of the content on this thread, it seems it may be ...

From what I was told by those in the know back when the GDA was introduced, the intent was to eventually contract to the pro clubs only and be fully funded ... similar to some of the YourApeeIn models.  Many of us that have been there from the beginning have had a similar message passed on from the "powers" at each year's preseason meeting.

Recently, there has also been more evidence that this is the case with the rapid regional expansion of the MLS -- There are already 30 and you'll see 32 clubs awarded in no time, each with regional logistical consideration in mind.  If ya asked me I'd tell you that I'd guess you'll see fully funded teams competing in a regional league consisting of Dallas, Austin, Houston, Colorado (Rapids in case you're wondering), and Nashville, among others in the somewhat near future.  Thus truly making the USSDA exclusively for the most committed and talented girls in the country, leaving the others in the ECNL.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Real Colorado leaving Girls DA - Page 2 Empty Re: Real Colorado leaving Girls DA

Post by timmyh 15/03/20, 06:04 pm

Big Ern wrote:One woulda thought that this wouldn't have been such a secret, but given most of the content on this thread, it seems it may be ...

From what I was told by those in the know back when the GDA was introduced, the intent was to eventually contract to the pro clubs only and be fully funded ... similar to some of the YourApeeIn models.  Many of us that have been there from the beginning have had a similar message passed on from the "powers" at each year's preseason meeting.

Recently, there has also been more evidence that this is the case with the rapid regional expansion of the MLS -- There are already 30 and you'll see 32 clubs awarded in no time, each with regional logistical consideration in mind.  If ya asked me I'd tell you that I'd guess you'll see fully funded teams competing in a regional league consisting of Dallas, Austin, Houston, Colorado (Rapids in case you're wondering), and Nashville, among others in the somewhat near future.  Thus truly making the USSDA exclusively for the most committed and talented girls in the country, leaving the others in the ECNL.

I think you are correct on the boys side of things, but not sure that model works for the girls. You mention Austin, so let’s use them as an example. What incentive does the new Austin FC have to create a girls program, much less fully fund it and send it traveling around the country for league games?

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 07soccerdad 15/03/20, 06:31 pm

How would this work for Solar and others with no current pro team affiliations?

07soccerdad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 15/03/20, 06:32 pm

07soccerdad wrote:How would this work for Solar and others with no current pro team affiliations?

Under the model Ern describes (which I definitely think is where the boys are headed), they play ECNL.

Another reason why the model may not work for girls because, unlike the boys, very few of the elite girls clubs are affiliated with a professional team. Per the soccerwire club rankings, 15 of the top 20 boys youth clubs were affiliated with MLS teams, as opposed to only 2 of the top 20 girls clubs (and zero were NWSL affiliated).

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 5050Ball 16/03/20, 08:22 am

[quote="07soccerdad"]We’re in our first year of DA and the sub rule hasn’t been much of an issue at all - negative or positive. Assume it’s supposed to condition the girls early to understand how it works later.  I’m sure our team wouldn’t sub much different should the rule not even be in place. [/quote

It hasn't been an issue since the 07's don't use it.
5050Ball
5050Ball
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 07soccerdad 16/03/20, 08:49 am

Isn’t this a rule specific to DA?I realize it’s slightly diff than the older age groups tho

c) U-13 and U-14 Academy games will have unlimited substitutions with re-entry across three “moments”.

07soccerdad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 16/03/20, 10:48 am

timmyh wrote:
Big Ern wrote:One woulda thought that this wouldn't have been such a secret, but given most of the content on this thread, it seems it may be ...

I think you are correct on the boys side of things, but not sure that model works for the girls.  You mention Austin, so let’s use them as an example.  What incentive does the new Austin FC have to create a girls program, much less fully fund it and send it traveling around the country for league games?

Understood timmy and I should clarify --

In my prognostication, the MLS clubs themselves would be mandated to have both a boy's and girl's youth programming (many already do) which function as a separate entity from the pro club.  Each of these MLS club based youth programs would receive funding directly from USSF/DA, so Austin FC itself for example, wouldn't be funding anything.  And much like the situation that I believe is going to happen in CO shortly (Rapids to DA), I believe you'll see Lonestar become Austin FC.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 16/03/20, 12:36 pm

Big Ern wrote:
timmyh wrote:

I think you are correct on the boys side of things, but not sure that model works for the girls.  You mention Austin, so let’s use them as an example.  What incentive does the new Austin FC have to create a girls program, much less fully fund it and send it traveling around the country for league games?

In my prognostication, the MLS clubs themselves would be mandated to have both a boy's and girl's youth programming (many already do) which function as a separate entity from the pro club.  Each of these MLS club based youth programs would receive funding directly from USSF/DA, so Austin FC itself for example, wouldn't be funding anything.  And much like the situation that I believe is going to happen in CO shortly (Rapids to DA), I believe you'll see Lonestar become Austin FC.

I can see that generally being where we're headed, but my hunch would be that would only be financially feasible if the DA went back to just U17 and U19 teams.  Two teams is much less expensive (coaches, travel, fields, etc.) than the current setup.
So I could foresee the possibility that perhaps a few years from now the framework might include all MLS teams having fully funded U17 and U19 teams in DA/GDA, with all other clubs playing other leagues (such as ECNL, NPL, etc).

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 16/03/20, 01:37 pm

timmyh wrote:
Big Ern wrote:
timmyh wrote:

I can see that generally being where we're headed, but my hunch would be that would only be financially feasible if the DA went back to just U17 and U19 teams.  Two teams is much less expensive (coaches, travel, fields, etc.) than the current setup.
So I could foresee the possibility that perhaps a few years from now the framework might include all MLS teams having fully funded U17 and U19 teams in DA/GDA, with all other clubs playing other leagues (such as ECNL, NPL, etc).

Agreed that ^ would be more feasible and viable ... Especially if it goes to U16/17 and U18/19.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 16/03/20, 03:28 pm

That's how it would be if I had a say, Ern.

So the Federation points its dollars at a very specific and impactful point (elite U16-19 players).
The clubs are given back full control of everything else (and conceivably are incentived to develop and send players to DA academies through solidarity payments if they become full professionals).  This seems like a win-win.

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 16/03/20, 04:12 pm

timmyh wrote:That's how it would be if I had a say, Ern.

So the Federation points its dollars at a very specific and impactful point (elite U16-19 players).
The clubs are given back full control of everything else (and conceivably are incentived to develop and send players to DA academies through solidarity payments if they become full professionals).  This seems like a win-win.

Brilliant timmy!  If anyone asks for proper direction, I'm sending 'em to you Sir!

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 17/03/20, 11:22 am

If this is indeed where we are likely headed, does Solar then decide to take the 2 team ECNL deal now, rather than drop ECNL and just play DA next fall?  

Or might ECNL waive the requirements for a DA club putting their 2nd teams in ECNL in light of current circumstances in society?  Right now that would be my guess. No change for next fall and ECNL gives a mulligan and Solar gets another year to try and win a natty and keep status quo.

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 17/03/20, 12:22 pm

timmyh wrote:If this is indeed where we are likely headed, does Solar then decide to take the 2 team ECNL deal now, rather than drop ECNL and just play DA next fall?  

Or might ECNL waive the requirements for a DA club putting their 2nd teams in ECNL in light of current circumstances in society?  Right now that would be my guess. No change for next fall and ECNL gives a mulligan and Solar gets another year to try and win a natty and keep status quo.

While I don't think the ECNL will be changing their policies especially given that it would only affect 2 clubs nationwide, I do believe AS should change the course for his girls effective next year and go exclusively ECNL.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 17/03/20, 12:31 pm

Big Ern wrote:
timmyh wrote:If this is indeed where we are likely headed, does Solar then decide to take the 2 team ECNL deal now, rather than drop ECNL and just play DA next fall?  

While I don't think the ECNL will be changing their policies especially given that it would only affect 2 clubs nationwide, I do believe AS should change the course for his girls effective next year and go exclusively ECNL.

I agree with your latter statement, which then likely causes the Lonestar girls to follow, puts FCD in a tough decision, and possibly leaves Dash and Energy in a bit of a pickle.

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by BWGophers 17/03/20, 11:35 pm

Big Ern wrote:

That would be extremely interesting to watch if that were to happen... or should I say, it would be extremely interesting to watch what 3 particular players currently at Solar would do in that scenario.

If that left FCD as the sole DA representative in NTX, would those 3 automatically jump ship to FCD because of their YNT involvement - especially the 2 '03's who have been with Solar since their U-little days? Or, what would happen if both Solar and FCD abandoned DA for ECNL next fall and there was no DA option in NTX?  

If any of those players chose to play in ENCL in either of the above circumstances, would USSF turn their back on some of the most promising young talent in the US if they weren't playing in the system that is supposed to be the pipeline to the YNT's these days?

Suspect Suspect Suspect

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthiness 18/03/20, 12:03 am

Solar is going to get their YNT callups regardless. Solca is too well ingrained in that process to think it would be different.

If Solar leaves GDA for two ECNL teams (and I think they should, not that my opinion matters), I am not sure the Girl's Frontier Conference survives. Lonestar would almost surely follow given the logistics of ECNL will be much better for their players and families.  That leaves the Dash, Energy, CO Rush, Omaha, and SKC.

FC Dallas isn't going to want to play that schedule. There's no good reason to subject their players to such a grueling and expensive season.  I think players would start to leave for more reasonable local options if travel wasn't funded or at least heavily subsidized (who wants to pay $500 every other weekend to go beat Rush/Dash/Omaha/Energy four to nil?).  Thus, I think they'd almost be forced to follow Solar with the plan to rejoin GDA if/when the league ever reforms in the manner Ern suggests.

The question would be can FCD then get the two team deal that all the other top 20 teams have gotten for going "all in" on the girls side. Medina will fight hard against it and has a lot of pull, but surely ECNL Prez Lavers sees this as a unique opportunity to go for the kill.  

If Solar, FCD, and Tophat all get sweetheart deals and leave, GDA is on life support outside of SoCal.  ECNL should give those three clubs whatever the hell they want as it likely strikes a deathblow to GDA.
Truthiness
Truthiness
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PLAYERONE 18/03/20, 08:39 am

Good commentary by @truthniess @bwgophers.

I know Texans, DF, and Sting aren’t cheering for the FCD & Solar move to ECNL. Sting and Feet would be wiped off of the competitive maps in ECNL.

PLAYERONE
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleed_LP_Red 18/03/20, 09:37 am

First of all, this "Sting and Feet would be wiped off of the competitive maps in ECNL" is BS.  And second, "FCD & Solar move to ECNL" will never happen.  FCD and Solar's egos are too big for that.

Bleed_LP_Red
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 18/03/20, 02:03 pm

Latest girl's club rankings are out...top 5 are:

1. Tophat
2. Solar
3. PDA
4. SoCal Blues
5. FC Dallas

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/soccerwire-top-100-girls-soccer-clubs-march-2020/

I think ECNL is already doing everything they can to peel off Solar and FC Dallas (Tophat, NC Courage and FC Virginia, too). One swift blow to the back of the Federations head.

And despite the egos, let's not forget the primary why the answer is more and more likely to be "yes" - - - There is more money to be made from 2 ECNL teams than there is from just a single DA team.  It's not just the extra 18 paying customers in 6 age groups, it's the lesser investment in needing specifically licensed coaches and other federation required investments. DA isn't a money maker. But two ECNL teams certainly is.

Last edited by timmyh on 18/03/20, 02:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NoSpinZone 18/03/20, 03:57 pm

timmyh wrote:Latest girl's club rankings are out...top 5 are:

1. Tophat
2. Solar
3. PDA
4. SoCal Blues
5. FC Dallas

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/soccerwire-top-100-girls-soccer-clubs-march-2020/

I think ECNL is already doing everything they can to peel off Solar and FC Dallas (Tophat, NC Courage and FC Virginia, too). One swift blow to the back of the Federations head.

And despite the egos, let's not forget the primary why the answer is more and more likely to be "yes" - - - There is more money to be made from 2 ECNL teams than there is from just a single DA team.  It's not just the extra 18 paying customers in 6 age groups, it's the lesser investment in needing specifically licensed coaches and other federation required investments. DA isn't a money maker. But two ECNL teams certainly is.

FCD will not get 2 spots. No way, no how. I will livestream me dining on crow it they do.

NoSpinZone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 18/03/20, 04:16 pm

NoSpinZone wrote:
timmyh wrote:Latest girl's club rankings are out...top 5 are:

1. Tophat
2. Solar
3. PDA
4. SoCal Blues
5. FC Dallas

FCD will not get 2 spots.  No way, no how.  I will livestream me dining on crow it they do.

I would have agreed with you a month ago. Now I think ECNL has an opportunity that may not come around very often.  Frontier Conference was rocked a bit with Texans and Real CO leaving (and the latter getting 2 teams).  
Putting aside the acrimony of last season's breakup and simply moving forward and securing a top 5 club is in ECNL's best interest (even if it costs two teams like it did for Real, Hawks, Sting, FC Stars, SLSG, Concorde Fire, Eclipse, PDA, etc.), and IF Solar and Lonestar leave then it's also definitely in FCDs best interest.

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 18/03/20, 06:07 pm

Bleed_LP_Red wrote:First of all, this "Sting and Feet would be wiped off of the competitive maps in ECNL" is BS.  And second, "FCD & Solar move to ECNL" will never happen.  FCD and Solar's egos are too big for that.

Well you're right about 1 thing Bleeder ... With exception of the elimination of the GDA, the FCD ladies will not be moving from GDA to the ECNL, especially given their deeply-rooted boy's side and my previously posted prognostication the more likely scenario over the course of the next few years.  

But I'd bet Solar, with ego having nothing to do with it and having no place in that 'not so far off' plan, may go that direction eventually ... maybe as early as 2021-22.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 918soccer 19/03/20, 05:08 pm

Do the people of NTX realize how fortunate they are to have so many quality clubs in the same city? Other than SoCal, I can’t think of another market that has so many quality clubs within 20 miles... yet the people of NTX choose not to take advantage of it. The rest of the country would die to have quality like Sting, Solar, Feet, FCD and Texans all in the same town playing each other without travel and the rest of the teams in the league within 2-3 hour drive. I don’t think the people of NTX realize how lucky they are to have this option.

If Solar and FCD joined Real Co and Texans and moved to ECNL, all 5 of the top clubs in NTX would once again be in the same league and travel would be reduced to Colorado, Kansas and Nebraska. On top of that, all other opponents would be within a 2-3 hour drive and Lonestar would likely make the switch, once again putting all of the top clubs in the region in the same league.

918soccer
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PLAYERONE 19/03/20, 06:15 pm

Time to show OKC some love, a lot of truth to what your saying. Function of population, function of incredible demand for the beautiful game in NTX. I guess we can’t figure it out. At this moment a huge disparity still currently resides in NTX with the strength of the DA (FCD/Solar) Vs ECNL Clubs (DF/Sting/Texans) in NTXG.

I agree with previous posts about FCD being locked down with DA (Boys Side/MLS) If Solar takes the ECNL route it would significantly detract from being
an FCD member. Who do you play and at what time and costs? Like a goldfish in an ocean.

What is the word on OKC? DA or ECNL.

PLAYERONE
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 19/03/20, 08:03 pm

918soccer wrote:Do the people of NTX realize how fortunate they are to have so many quality clubs in the same city? Other than SoCal, I can’t think of another market that has so many quality clubs within 20 miles... yet the people of NTX choose not to take advantage of it. The rest of the country would die to have quality like Sting, Solar, Feet, FCD and Texans all in the same town playing each other without travel and the rest of the teams in the league within 2-3 hour drive. I don’t think the people of NTX realize how lucky they are to have this option.

If Solar and FCD joined Real Co and Texans and moved to ECNL, all 5 of the top clubs in NTX would once again be in the same league and travel would be reduced to Colorado, Kansas and Nebraska. On top of that, all other opponents would be within a 2-3 hour drive and Lonestar would likely make the switch, once again putting all of the top clubs in the region in the same league.

The people of NTX would absolutely like to take advantage of it. It's club leadership that chooses otherwise.
Sure. I know. My kid chose to play on DA or ECNL teams and I supported it. We could instead decide she go play on a team that isn't quite as good and simply stays local. But for those with big dreams of, say, playing at a high level in college, that's a tougher path to succeed.

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthiness 23/03/20, 01:11 pm

timmyh wrote:

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/north-carolina-courage-united-futbol-academy-join-ecnl-for-2020-2021-season/

ECNL's "Kill the GDA" Checklist:
Solar
Real Colorado
FC Dallas
TSJ FC Virginia
NC Courage
Tophat

Two down.  Four to go.
Truthiness
Truthiness
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next