North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
2010G Renegades GCL ELITE14/05/24, 06:56 pmNickicharriere
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:31 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:01 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:55 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:50 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:45 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:40 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:29 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:24 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:19 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:12 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:07 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:02 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:56 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:51 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:46 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:30 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:25 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:19 pmsbarton12
Evolution 2011 Boys Classic League D1 Tryouts09/05/24, 02:21 pmCoach Stuart
EVOLUTION 15B MCGREGOR09/05/24, 02:06 pmLewis McGregor

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Should DD go with Large or Independent Club? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205203 messages in 31989 subjects

Should DD go with Large or Independent Club?

Go down

Should DD go with Large or Independent Club? Empty Should DD go with Large or Independent Club?

Post by harry7405 26/05/11, 07:09 am

DD want's to play @ next level should she go with Independent Club with no college placement experience. Or with Giant Club with much College experience. Sounds like a given but just want some opinions on subject. Thanks

harry7405
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Should DD go with Large or Independent Club? Empty Re: Should DD go with Large or Independent Club?

Post by skr4life 26/05/11, 07:27 am

It's about your player not the club name...my dd was with a recognizable club then her Senior year they spun off...Every girl that wanted to play got picked up...your job is not to let the club name speak for itself but to start writing to coaches and getting into showcases and making college visits...it's a lot of work but worth it!

skr4life
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Should DD go with Large or Independent Club? Empty Re: Should DD go with Large or Independent Club?

Post by snezzy 26/05/11, 09:21 am

With work, you kid can be found at any level and any logo!

skr4life wrote:It's about your player not the club name...my dd was with a recognizable club then her Senior year they spun off...Every girl that wanted to play got picked up...your job is not to let the club name speak for itself but to start writing to coaches and getting into showcases and making college visits...it's a lot of work but worth it!
snezzy
snezzy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26/05/11, 09:38 am

harry7405 wrote:DD want's to play @ next level should she go with Independent Club with no college placement experience. Or with Giant Club with much College experience. Sounds like a given but just want some opinions on subject. Thanks

If you want to be the best, you need to play against the best.

Back to top Go down

Post by snezzy 26/05/11, 09:45 am

Ok, I'll Bite..... Who's the best? The ones with the most wins, or the ones who have effectively learned skills and movement of the ball in a team environment? If the independent club has your same motives in mind it may not be a bad fit. Plenty of the "best clubs" play a long ball game and kids never develop but are sure good athletes.... Not to say giggedy you were implying anything different than the above. just making small talk.

giggedy wrote:
harry7405 wrote:DD want's to play @ next level should she go with Independent Club with no college placement experience. Or with Giant Club with much College experience. Sounds like a given but just want some opinions on subject. Thanks

snezzy
snezzy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26/05/11, 10:12 am

snezzy wrote:Ok, I'll Bite..... Who's the best? The ones with the most wins, or the ones who have effectively learned skills and movement of the ball in a team environment? If the independent club has your same motives in mind it may not be a bad fit. Plenty of the "best clubs" play a long ball game and kids never develop but are sure good athletes.... Not to say giggedy you were implying anything different than the above. just making small talk.

giggedy wrote:

I'm not saying who's the best. It is different for every age group. But I would lean towards finding a good coach that meshes well with your daughter and what she wants to accomplish, and then have that coach be in one of the upper levels of LHGCL. There is nothing wrong with playing in Plano or Arlington, but you aren't going to develop like you would playing with and against better talent.

Back to top Go down

Post by snezzy 26/05/11, 10:14 am

I concur Doctor.

giggedy wrote:
snezzy wrote:Ok, I'll Bite..... Who's the best? The ones with the most wins, or the ones who have effectively learned skills and movement of the ball in a team environment? If the independent club has your same motives in mind it may not be a bad fit. Plenty of the "best clubs" play a long ball game and kids never develop but are sure good athletes.... Not to say giggedy you were implying anything different than the above. just making small talk.

giggedy wrote:

I'm not saying who's the best. It is different for every age group. But I would lean towards finding a good coach that meshes well with your daughter and what she wants to accomplish, and then have that coach be in one of the upper levels of LHGCL. There is nothing wrong with playing in Plano or Arlington, but you aren't going to develop like you would playing with and against better talent.

snezzy
snezzy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by brad.kennedy 26/05/11, 09:14 pm

Two years ago I posted on this web site my intent to start an independent team. The posting ended up being a lightening rod between those who thought independent teams were bad idea verses those who thought it was a good. There were many who thought independent teams were a waste of time and others who supported them. It will be interesting to see what happens to this post.

Here's my two cents. I have a daughter who's played for both club and independent teams. ( I coached an independent team and we're playing on an independent team now ) She's played LHGCL and PPL.

The first thing you should consider is your daughter and what are her goals? Is she the type of girl who just can't get enough soccer and no matter how many practices there are a week - she wants to be there, or is she the type that soccer is kind of a burden which interrupts other interests? What are her aspirations? Does she want to play at the highest level, or is she just happy playing competitive soccer? Finally, you have to look at how well your daughter handles a busy schedule? Is school a priority, is she taking Pre-AP, AP classes, can she get her homework done quickly or does she struggle with school and need more time studying?

Depending on how you answer those questions you'll then need to consider some of my thoughts below.

EXPENSES
In most cases club soccer will be more expensive then an independent team. Depending on what level you're playing at within a club the costs can be between $3,000 and $5,000 or more. An independent team will be $500 to $1,500

DEVELOPMENT
This one can go either way. I've seen both good and bad club coaches. Just because they coach for a club or they have some certification does not make them a good coach. An independent team or a club team could have a bad or good coach. How does your daughter handle an adult yelling at her? Some girls can take it -- some can not. I've seen many girls quit soccer because of bad coaching. As far as I'm concerned -- the coach is the most important thing. A good club coach or a good independent coach can develop your daughter as a soccer player.

COMMITMENT
Again, this could go either way - however, you'll usually have better commitment from the girls and parents at a club level. I suspect this has to do with the amount of money they are paying. If you've spent $3,000+ for your daughter to play soccer, most likely you'll be making your DD go to practice. Since an independent team doesn't have that expense SOMETIMES the commitment isn't there. Clubs have a tendancy of taking it more serious and an unexcused practice might effect playing time.

GROWTH
There are no independent teams playing LHGCL. If you want to play against some of the best teams in North Texas - you'll need to join a club team that is playing in LHGCL. The best teams play LHGCL. However, I've found Plano to have some good teams as well. PPL offers competitive soccer and there are some LHGCL level players running around on the fields. I noticed last year in PPL there were a numerous independent teams and I suspect some of them will try out for LHGCL D3 next season. Some of them are pretty good and I would not be surprised to see an independent team make LHGCL D3 next season.

Again, I think the decision depends on what you and your daughter are looking for. I know the people on this blog are very smart and most could give you a positive and negative response to my thoughts above. There are some girls who are awesome players from years of hard work and dedication within a club. I also know there are some girls who play Plano or Rec. and then go onto play college soccer never having played on a club team. There are natural players and girls who have busted their rear ends to become the player they are. There is no one clear cut answer. You have to weigh your own situation and then make a decision based on where you want to land.

I hope this helps. Let the beating begin!! lol

Brad

brad.kennedy
brad.kennedy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

https://www.youtube.com/user/bradlyfkennedy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26/05/11, 10:21 pm

I have no business being on your forum as i have only little kids and college is not on my radar. BUT the 02 forum is boring and i was in a coversation about this very subject earlier with a parent with older kids. i think it is a case by case situtation. everybody knows who the dallas texans are and that's going to get you exposure, however, if your on an indy team that is really good, playing in tournys/showcases and having some success you will get exposure. its a matter of your kid being good and being in an environment where they can be seen. the name on the shirt wont guarantee anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by ekkeeper1 26/05/11, 10:27 pm

I played for a smaller club and an independent team this was back before d 3 lake highlands. My team especially my last two years of HS played several showcases and everyone who wanted to play in college ended up finding a place to play. We were an independent team. Although I didnt get much d 1 exposure (realistically d 2 was a better fit for me) I had several offers from d 2 schools as well as some top NAIA schools. Its possible even on a non lake highlands team to get some exposure to the college coaches and find a place top play.

Each situation is unique and like many have mentioned it depends on goals and/or whats the best fit. I was happy with the teams I played on my last couple of years we were a top team in Arlington which at that time was still fairly competitive we won d 1 arlington several times, had some very good tournament showings and even beat a couple LH D 2 teams.

Good luck with whatever is right for your DD and Family! Good luck with your upcoming season wherever your DD ends up playing!

ekkeeper1
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSoccer 27/05/11, 08:07 am

If your dd has the ability to start on a top d1 team then she will get more exposure. For a soph going into jr year it will be important because the top schools make verbals at that time. Also by 15-16 your dd's pretty much developed her skills. The objective now is to give her the most exposure you can so that she has a lot of options.
DrSoccer
DrSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down