North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
2010G Renegades GCL ELITE14/05/24, 06:56 pmNickicharriere
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:31 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:01 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:55 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:50 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:45 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:40 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:29 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:24 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:19 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:12 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:07 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:02 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:56 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:51 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:46 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:30 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:25 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:19 pmsbarton12
Evolution 2011 Boys Classic League D1 Tryouts09/05/24, 02:21 pmCoach Stuart
EVOLUTION 15B MCGREGOR09/05/24, 02:06 pmLewis McGregor

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Updated FBR - 11/25/11 - Page 4 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205203 messages in 31989 subjects

Updated FBR - 11/25/11

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Updated FBR - 11/25/11 - Page 4 Empty Re: Updated FBR - 11/25/11

Post by Guess Who 29/11/11, 12:01 pm

deepthoughts wrote:
soccerinsane wrote:Remind me where else FEver Red played outside of PT recently? Not sure on that one either, but didn't want to stir up trouble too much. Our team tied them I think in PT. Who won between them and Searls? But I've not kept them on the radar one way or another. With the large number of teams, I don't think there is a need for a teeny tiny tier one, but that's just my opinion. That's why I was thinking 11.

I am not trying to start any trouble at all. Most people concur that Webb and Higg are near the top, if not the top. I'm simply asking how teams compete well with the top dogs and cross mid-field often enough and organized enough to be dangerous. One lone girl on a fast break with three greyhound defenders reeling her in does not count.

If you can't generate a few shots against a team, and you are simply parking a bus in your 18, that is not enough to be tier one, even if the score sometimes ends up 0-0. On the other hand, if Searls or Renfro can consistently put up at least 3 or 4 shots per half at the WebbHigg keepers, moving the ball smartly connecting 4 or 5 good passes, then they are, by my definition, tier one competitive, even if they don't win most of the games.

This test is what evaluates the Tier One / Tier Two border. DT South, Dynamo, Bennett, Liverpool St John (formerly DT North Rangel are clearly competitive and therefore Tier One. Where the line ends seems to be #8, not #11, unless I'm missing something.

Too bad ESPN 4 has not been invented yet for Dallas 10 year old soccer. We could debate after seeing many more games!
So what teams in your mind play smart soccer. Not kick ball

Guess Who
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerinsane 29/11/11, 12:10 pm

deepthoughts wrote:
soccerinsane wrote:Remind me where else FEver Red played outside of PT recently? Not sure on that one either, but didn't want to stir up trouble too much. Our team tied them I think in PT. Who won between them and Searls? But I've not kept them on the radar one way or another. With the large number of teams, I don't think there is a need for a teeny tiny tier one, but that's just my opinion. That's why I was thinking 11.

I am not trying to start any trouble at all. Most people concur that Webb and Higg are near the top, if not the top. I'm simply asking how teams compete well with the top dogs and cross mid-field often enough and organized enough to be dangerous. One lone girl on a fast break with three greyhound defenders reeling her in does not count.

If you can't generate a few shots against a team, and you are simply parking a bus in your 18, that is not enough to be tier one, even if the score sometimes ends up 0-0. On the other hand, if Searls or Renfro can consistently put up at least 3 or 4 shots per half at the WebbHigg keepers, moving the ball smartly connecting 4 or 5 good passes, then they are, by my definition, tier one competitive, even if they don't win most of the games.

This test is what evaluates the Tier One / Tier Two border. DT South, Dynamo, Bennett, Liverpool St John (formerly DT North Rangel are clearly competitive and therefore Tier One. Where the line ends seems to be #8, not #11, unless I'm missing something.

Too bad ESPN 4 has not been invented yet for Dallas 10 year old soccer. We could debate after seeing many more games!

Ha! I love it--then I could DVR them all and get sucked in even more than I already am today Smile With respect to your analysis of the dividing line for tier one teams, I completely agree. I'm not sure how Searls looked against those top three or four in PT, and haven't seen Renfro play recently. My thought is just that if you've got LP up there, probably should have a few others which makes it a bit bigger of a tier. I just like for things to be nice and organized and make sense, which means that I should probably quit trying to guess on things like U10 girls' soccer rankings.
soccerinsane
soccerinsane
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by deepthoughts 29/11/11, 12:11 pm

Guess Who wrote:
deepthoughts wrote:

So what teams in your mind play smart soccer. Not kick ball

Not an easy question and definitely not black and white as some people think, because who you are playing against matters a lot. DT Vigil or Solar East look a lot "smarter", passing well, playing against a team like XLR8, where the competition is near the same level, than against FC Prem Grubb.

If you want an vivid example of this, watch the replay of the last Champion's League final. Man U is a great passing team in the Premier League -- but then they ran into Barca firing on all cylinders.

The higher up the list, the most pressure there is on the kid with the ball, the less time there is to make a good decision, the less time there is for movement to get open off the ball. The time a kid has to get her head up and make a good decision is so critical.
deepthoughts
deepthoughts
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 02Dad 29/11/11, 12:19 pm

For the purposes of the FBR software, there are four tiers.

As you can see the 5 teams in tier 1 are head and shoulders above the rest of the tiers with a combined record of 55-1.

Likewise tier 2 is 43-2-7 vs lower tiers.

Tier 3 is 36-0-6 vs tier 4.

And finally those in tier 4 are 0-50-6 vs all other teams/tiers above them.

--------------------------
Tier 1 has 5 teams.

Bennett, Higg, South, FCD, and SRSA

T1 vs T2 is 49-1
T1 vs T3 is 5-0
T1 vs T4 is 1-0

Tier 2 has 15 teams.

Feet,Renfro,Fever Red,Fever White,DT Vigil, LP Rangel,Polaris,Dynamo,Solar East,Solar Gio,Sting Searls,Sting East,Texas Spirit North,TFC Elite,Waco Lady Blast

T2 vs T1 is 1-49
T2 vs T3 is 30-2-7
T2 vs T4 is 13-0

Tier 3 has 16 teams.

Sting Parker,Cosmos, Divas,Dynasty,FCD Barakat,FCD Palmisano, FCD Kang, Galaxy SC, GSSC, International FC, Solar Jones,Solar Stark,Stephenville,Sting West,XLR8,TFC Larry

T3 vs T1 is 0-5
T3 vs T2 is 2-30-7
T3 vs T4 is 36-0-6

Tier 4 has 14 teams.

AFC,Crossroads, DTFW, Dolphins,FCD PTAK,FC PREMIER,Kernow,LP Dalglish,LP Thompson, LP Hansen, Sparta, Texas Lightning, Texas Thunder, TFC Angell/Wells

T4 vs T1 is 0-1
T4 vs T2 is 0-13
T4 vs T3 is 0-36-6

Last edited by 02Dad on 29/11/11, 01:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I swear it was an accident! Left out Sting Parker from tirer 3)
02Dad
02Dad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jen_nah 29/11/11, 12:43 pm

kickingrass wrote:
deepthoughts wrote:
Guess Who wrote:
I fill in tier one it sould be

1.Webb
2.Higg
3.FCD
4.DT.South
5.Solor.Dynamo
6.DT.Bennett-
7.Liverpool
8.Fever-Red
9.Polaris
10.Feet

Has Polaris played any top-tier competition in recent months? I can't see putting them in tier one if they have not. I do congratulate the team for winning the Silver bracket at DTFF but I was told that they did not dominate either of the games that I had friends at. They simply competed well and were athletic, against Tier Two competitors all.

Polaris has tied or lost to Liverpool by 1 goal before the additional of late. Polaris with the current roster would beat Liverpool. Played DT south without additions to roster as well lost 3-0 late in game. Not sure Polaris would beat them but a close game it would be now. Played Vigil in dt festival with 6 Bennett players. Game was very even. I am sure Polaris will consider playing PT to see where they stand in spring.
Polaris is on the verge of tier 1 status. Time will tell.

This is your opinion and not one I would agree with. Glad your team has some great new additions but don't forget most of the top teams have had some great new additions to their squads as well. Like I said in a previous post LP has added to their squad in the past few weeks. The last time we matched in SDL we were also missing 2 of our forwards which makes a big difference.

Polaris is a great team that will go places but they would have a hard time against Dynamo which LP has beaten & tied this season. Polaris couldn't battle with Bennett the loss would be huge but LP has played Bennett (formally Glotz) while LP didn't win it was a very close game and teams were evenly matched. We played DTS and it was only a 1 goal difference where Polaris it was 3 and you didn't even score on them. When you matched DT Vigil back in Sept. you tied them 0-0 on the 11th then beat them 5-0 on the 17th but this month only pull a 1-0 win. The margin should have been bigger based on your past performance with not as strong team and Vigil using Bennett guest players this season.

Last edited by jen_nah on 29/11/11, 01:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

jen_nah
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by tmcc 29/11/11, 01:02 pm

Fever beat LP Rangel in the Labor Day Tourney 1 to 0 and beat Searls 1 to 0 in PTCL. Fever Red struggled putting the ball in the net most of the Summer and the Fall, especially in PTCL. However, Fever dominated possession in all of the tie games they had and 1 to 0 wins they had. Six of the seven Fever loses are to FCD, Higg and Webb. Webb and Higg can tell you that the last time Fever Red played them, the game could have gone either way. Both games were 1 goal losses for Fever. The 7th loss was to Feet in Labor Day, when Feet had great guest players from FCD and Fever played poorly. Flat out, we got whooped that day. Fever then played Feet to a tie in PTCL, but Fever was clearly the better team playing darn near the entire game in Feets half and connecting 5,6,7,8 passes together. Fever just couldn't tuck one away. Gotta give credit to Feets defense and one forward who darn near knocked the goal down and won the game for Feet. Good thing the goals are 8ft high and not 8 1/2 feet high.

Like Roidrage said, Fever is playing pretty soccer. Penn is doing a great job. If the winner of the game was determined by who strung together more 3 pass combinations, shoot, even 5 pass combinations, then Fever may be the top team. However, that obviously is not how teams are ranked and Fever just needs to finish off the great passing with some goals. Wherever you guys put Fever Red in the human rankings is fine. This team is much better now than it was in even the Labor Day Tourney and PTCL. I know the FBR has had Fever as far down as 11 or 12. Kinda funny, but whatever. It's all for fun. Fever Red doesn't play much and when they do they either play up or it seems like they play the top three every game. I know that isn't the case, but I would bet their SOS is top 2. Am I right 02dad?
tmcc
tmcc
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Location : Sometimes, when you mess with the bull, you get the horns!

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerinsane 29/11/11, 01:04 pm

02Dad wrote:For the purposes of the FBR software, there are four tiers.

As you can see the 5 teams in tier 1 are head and shoulders above the rest of the tiers with a combined record of 55-1.

Likewise tier 2 is 43-2-7 vs lower tiers.

Tier 3 is 36-0-6 vs tier 4.

And finally those in tier 4 are 0-50-6 vs all other teams/tiers above them.

Tier 1 has 5 teams.

Bennett, Higg, South, FCD, and SRSA

T1 vs T2 is 49-1
T1 vs T3 is 5-0
T1 vs T4 is 1-0

Tier 2 has 15 teams.

Feet,Renfro,Fever Red,Fever White,DT Vigil, LP Rangel,Polaris,Dynamo,Solar East,Solar Gio,Sting Searls,Sting East,Texas Spirit North,TFC Elite,Waco Lady Blast

T2 vs T1 is 1-49
T2 vs T3 is 30-2-7
T2 vs T4 is 13-0

Tier 3 has 15 teams.

Cosmos, Divas,Dynasty,FCD Barakat,FCD Palmisano, FCD Kang, Galaxy SC, GSSC, International FC, Solar Jones,Solar Stark,Stephenville,Sting West,XLR8,TFC Larry

T3 vs T1 is 0-5
T3 vs T2 is 2-30-7
T3 vs T4 is 36-0-6

Tier 4 has 14 teams.

AFC,Crossroads, DTFW, Dolphins,FCD PTAK,FC PREMIER,Kernow,LP Dalglish,LP Thompson, LP Hansen, Sparta, Texas Lightning, Texas Thunder, TFC Angell/Wells

T4 vs T1 is 0-1
T4 vs T2 is 0-13
T4 vs T3 is 0-36-6
I think I've seen you post this tier breakdown previously--although not with the names all nicely typed out. This actually makes the most sense to me, and also allows me to go back to doing actual work! So I will just say "ditto" to 02Dad's breakdown from the actual FBR tiers. Reading all the teams in the first two tiers, I think you can say for the most part that they are pretty even within their tier. Obviously, you could rank within the tiers as well, but I don't think you could put only one or two in this tier two up in tier one without missing another team or two or three of equal level of play. Of course, not sure what's up with Bennett and South, so they might have someone swap with them--or just let's all agree there is a top three tier called One A for Awesome? Neutral
soccerinsane
soccerinsane
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Updated FBR - 11/25/11 - Page 4 Empty Results vs. Competitiveness

Post by deepthoughts 29/11/11, 01:05 pm

02Dad wrote:For the purposes of the FBR software, there are four tiers.

Likewise tier 2 is 43-2-7 vs lower tiers...

You are the statsmaster, 02Dad! Without you, we would have so much less to debate so we do appreciate it. What team does your DD play on by the way (if you care to share)?

I'm not arguing results and records which are the cornerstone of FBR to this point, but rather competitiveness versus those top 5. If a team lost to all top 5, but played each one well (see my previous post for a definition of played well), then in my mind they are still tier one material. On the other hand, the bunkered in team in their own 18 box is massively over-matched.

FBR is clearly limited for all the discussions listed (results only, lots of guesting) in this thread - I don't think anyone is arguing that results are all that matters at 9/10 years old.

We will find teams that are ranked too high and too low I'm quite sure. Although not proven, I suspect any team where wins+draws is far > losses is probably ranked a bit low (Sting Parker?) while a team (like Divas?) with where wins+draws is far < losses is probably ranked a bit too high. That strength of schedule factor is too prevalent it seems, at least for my taste. But FBR is the machete, not a laser scalpel anyway. We just don't have a better system that will work, barring ESPN 4.
deepthoughts
deepthoughts
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 02Dad 29/11/11, 01:08 pm

tmcc wrote:

Fever beat LP Rangel in the Labor Day Tourney 1 to 0 and beat Searls 1 to 0 in PTCL. Fever Red struggled putting the ball in the net most of the Summer and the Fall, especially in PTCL. However, Fever dominated possession in all of the tie games they had and 1 to 0 wins they had. Six of the seven Fever loses are to FCD, Higg and Webb. Webb and Higg can tell you that the last time Fever Red played them, the game could have gone either way. Both games were 1 goal losses for Fever. The 7th loss was to Feet in Labor Day, when Feet had great guest players from FCD and Fever played poorly. Flat out, we got whooped that day. Fever then played Feet to a tie in PTCL, but Fever was clearly the better team playing darn near the entire game in Feets half and connecting 5,6,7,8 passes together. Fever just couldn't tuck one away. Gotta give credit to Feets defense and one forward who darn near knocked the goal down and won the game for Feet. Good thing the goals are 8ft high and not 8 1/2 feet high.

Like Roidrage said, Fever is playing pretty soccer. Penn is doing a great job. If the winner of the game was determined by who strung together more 3 pass combinations, shoot, even 5 pass combinations, then Fever may be the top team. However, that obviously is not how teams are ranked and Fever just needs to finish off the great passing with some goals. Wherever you guys put Fever Red in the human rankings is fine. This team is much better now than it was in even the Labor Day Tourney and PTCL. I know the FBR has had Fever as far down as 11 or 12. Kinda funny, but whatever. It's all for fun. Fever Red doesn't play much and when they do they either play up or it seems like they play the top three every game. I know that isn't the case, but I would bet their SOS is top 2. Am I right 02dad?

You are correct sir. In fact, they are #1 in SOS.
02Dad
02Dad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jen_nah 29/11/11, 01:10 pm

tmcc wrote:

I know LP would like to match Fever again. It was a good game and teams were evenly matched with Fever come up with the win. I think Fever will make head ways this spring esp. with any new additions.

My opinion is I think Sting is the under dog and this spring will surprise us all.

jen_nah
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by tmcc 29/11/11, 01:11 pm

02Dad wrote:
tmcc wrote:

And in my heart!

If you ain't first, you're last!
tmcc
tmcc
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerinsane 29/11/11, 01:26 pm

tmcc wrote:

Wow! Now to me that makes sense for a move to the top of the pack, in the event that the collective "we" goes with an actual tier one instead of my tier one A version Smile That type of play makes you feel good about where your DD is--not "winning" but definitely appear to be doing something right. Keep it up! Hope you've got a good bunch of parents who don't worry too much about the scoreboard at this point.
soccerinsane
soccerinsane
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by RoidRage 29/11/11, 01:41 pm

tmcc wrote:

Fever beat LP Rangel in the Labor Day Tourney 1 to 0 and beat Searls 1 to 0 in PTCL. Fever Red struggled putting the ball in the net most of the Summer and the Fall, especially in PTCL. However, Fever dominated possession in all of the tie games they had and 1 to 0 wins they had. Six of the seven Fever loses are to FCD, Higg and Webb. Webb and Higg can tell you that the last time Fever Red played them, the game could have gone either way. Both games were 1 goal losses for Fevero. The 7th loss was to Feet in Labor Day, when Feet had great guest players from FCD and Fever played poorly. Flat out, we got whooped that day. Fever then played Feet to a tie in PTCL, but Fever was clearly the better team playing darn near the entire game in Feets half and connecting 5,6,7,8 passes together. Fever just couldn't tuck one away. Gotta give credit to Feets defense and one forward who darn near knocked the goal down and won the game for Feet. Good thing the goals are 8ft high and not 8 1/2 feet high.

According to my records Fever Red also lost to Bennett 2-0 in Primetime. I do think your team passes well and sometimes passes when they should be shooting. I think you guys are 1 stud forward from being top4.

RoidRage
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29/11/11, 01:42 pm

02Dad wrote:
tmcc wrote:

huh. and here i just thought it was the starbucks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29/11/11, 01:55 pm

RoidRage wrote:
tmcc wrote:

Fever beat LP Rangel in the Labor Day Tourney 1 to 0 and beat Searls 1 to 0 in PTCL. Fever Red struggled putting the ball in the net most of the Summer and the Fall, especially in PTCL. However, Fever dominated possession in all of the tie games they had and 1 to 0 wins they had. Six of the seven Fever loses are to FCD, Higg and Webb. Webb and Higg can tell you that the last time Fever Red played them, the game could have gone either way. Both games were 1 goal losses for Fevero. The 7th loss was to Feet in Labor Day, when Feet had great guest players from FCD and Fever played poorly. Flat out, we got whooped that day. Fever then played Feet to a tie in PTCL, but Fever was clearly the better team playing darn near the entire game in Feets half and connecting 5,6,7,8 passes together. Fever just couldn't tuck one away. Gotta give credit to Feets defense and one forward who darn near knocked the goal down and won the game for Feet. Good thing the goals are 8ft high and not 8 1/2 feet high.

According to my records Fever Red also lost to Bennett 2-0 in Primetime. I do think your team passes well and sometimes passes when they should be shooting. I think you guys are 1 stud forward from being top4.

i have lost track of our overall record against dt bennet/glotz over the years but i think we have split wins and have 2 ties. and you are right on in IMO about the one too many passes and too few shots.

Back to top Go down

Post by tmcc 29/11/11, 02:12 pm

RoidRage wrote:
tmcc wrote:

It was 1 to 0 but that is ok.
tmcc
tmcc
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 02Dad 29/11/11, 02:48 pm

deepthoughts wrote:
RoidRage wrote:No one still hasnt explained to me how FCD Premier with a 12-2-1 record is ranked below DT South with a 17-8-1 record. The strength of schedule should be about the same as they both play in the same league and FCD has beaten DT South 2 out of 3 last times in the last month. Is the reason because DT South has just played more games and thus won more games? Does it matter that South has lost 4x as many games as FCD. The same argument can be had with Bennett who has a better record and has beaten South the last 2 times they played and the SOS should also be about the same since they played the same league. What gives? Can 02 Dad give me any incite on why this is out of wack?

This brings it full circle to my original point. FBR can be counted on to differentiate effectively between competitive tiers. I am confident that team #5 would beat team #12 barring some serious fluke. But, other than the bragging rights, the system does not really do a good job gauging between #2 and #4. Either team can win on a given day - they are by definition - competitive. Soccer is NOT a sport where the slightly better team ALWAYS wins.

FBR, based on results alone, is like a rusty machete... it hacks away at the kudzu growing in the soccer jungle well enough, but you don't want to use it for radial keratotomy to improve your soccer eyesight (and therefore accurately predict head-to-head outcomes). There is no team in the 02's that is so head-and-shoulders above the rest that it will go undefeated for a year. I know that has happened in previous years, but I don't see it happening in this class.

The discussion should really focus on which teams are in tier one, tier two, tier three - and then which teams are most likely to move up or down a tier. Arguing about if and when DT South or FC Prem will make it to number one, while being measured by a limited tool, just provides entertainment rather than understanding.

This is a very good way of putting it.

The greater the distance between the two the more accurate the system. However when #3 and #4 play it could go either way. The FBR system is not perfect or even close to ideal but it's better than anything else I've seen for this purpose.

For Roid's questions... a tie will in fact likely help a team in the rankings. Second, head-to-head results are unfortunately not considered.

South comes out ahead of FCD by only a fraction of a point leading in the category of Weighted Wins. So in this case, South has an advantage of playing (winning) more games that FCD in this timeframe. It's not perfect... however I'm not going to start tweaking things just to flip #3 and #4 when someone thinks FBR is wrong.

Just from the looks of it, I think it's fine.

FCD lost to Higg, South ties Higg. South and FCD split two games. It's not outrageous and obviously wrong that South beats out FCD by a fraction of a point. And it's certainly not so out of whack that I need to start tweaking the formula.

02Dad
02Dad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerdad02 29/11/11, 03:02 pm

Searls beat Defeeters 3-0 in PT. Should be ahead in the poles.

Soccerdad02
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guess Who 29/11/11, 03:06 pm

Soccerdad02 wrote:Searls beat Defeeters 3-0 in PT. Should be ahead in the poles.
Give us your reason why feet should drop and sting take that spot. Just based on one game or over-all record. Too bad Sting didnt enter the DT Tournament then we all could of seen what that have now.
Guess Who
Guess Who
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by deepthoughts 29/11/11, 03:20 pm

Guess Who wrote:
Soccerdad02 wrote:Searls beat Defeeters 3-0 in PT. Should be ahead in the poles.
Give us your reason why feet should drop and sting take that spot. Just based on one game or over-all record. Too bad Sting didnt enter the DT Tournament then we all could of seen what that have now.

It seems that this one core aspect of FBR is so hard to communicate to everyone:

02Dad wrote:head-to-head results are unfortunately not considered.

The sooner everyone comes to grips with what it means to not have head-to-head factored into the software, the better. There are reasons that head-to-head is not in there.

I believe FBR's method, although confusing, is logical and better than just strict head-to-head. Lets say Polaris beats Higg, but then loses 6 games to all the other Big 7 teams. Should they be ranked ahead of Higg, especially if Higg beats or ties the rest of the Big 7? Of course not.

I don't know the rest of the Feet vs Searls evaluation but I would bet there is good reason that Feet are several slots above Searls at this point. And, if they are close enough to each other in the rankings, that means they will probably play a competitive game next time they meet. Do you (soccerdad02) feel Searls blew out a hapless Feet team?

I don't want to sound like I'm defending FBR. FBR is limited in many ways. But it helps to truly understand what it can and can't do, as it is. As soon as people do understand, they will realize that arguing who is number one is pretty much worthless because the tool is just not that accurate.

Last edited by deepthoughts on 29/11/11, 03:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
deepthoughts
deepthoughts
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tmcc 29/11/11, 03:29 pm

deepthoughts wrote:
Guess Who wrote:

It seems that this one core aspect of FBR is so hard to communicate to everyone:

The sooner everyone comes to grips with why head-to-head is not in the software, the better.

I believe FBR's method, although confusing, is better than just strict head-to-head. Lets say Polaris beats Higg, but then loses 7 games to all the other Big 7 teams. Should they be ranked ahead of Higg, especially if Higg beats the rest of the Big 7? Of course not.

I don't know the rest of the Feet vs Searls evaluation but I would bet there is good reason that Feet are several slots above Searls at this point. And, if they are close enough to each other in the rankings, that means they will probably play a competitive game next time they meet. Do you (soccerdad02) feel Searls blew out a hapless Feet team?

I don't want to sound like I'm defending FBR. FBR is limited in many ways. But it helps to understand what it can and can't do, as it is. As soon as people do understand, they will realize that arguing who is number one is pretty much worthless because the tool is just not that accurate.

Are you calling 02dad a tool?

Ha! Just kidding.
tmcc
tmcc
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 02Dad 29/11/11, 03:31 pm

tmcc wrote:
deepthoughts wrote:
Guess Who wrote:

The sooner everyone comes to grips with why head-to-head is not in the software, the better.

I believe FBR's method, although confusing, is better than just strict head-to-head. Lets say Polaris beats Higg, but then loses 7 games to all the other Big 7 teams. Should they be ranked ahead of Higg, especially if Higg beats the rest of the Big 7? Of course not.

I don't want to sound like I'm defending FBR. FBR is limited in many ways. But it helps to understand what it can and can't do, as it is. As soon as people do understand, they will realize that arguing who is number one is pretty much worthless because the tool is just not that accurate.

Are you calling 02dad a tool?

Ha! Just kidding.

Wouldn't be the first (or last) time. Very Happy
02Dad
02Dad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifter 29/11/11, 03:32 pm

who here is not a tool.... I know I am. some tools are bigger than others...

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by EyesWideOpen 29/11/11, 03:38 pm

Grifter wrote:who here is not a tool.... I know I am. some tools are bigger than others...

Grifter, this post belongs in the human poll topic! Very Happy
EyesWideOpen
EyesWideOpen
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29/11/11, 03:40 pm

Uh...I am not a tool, thank you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29/11/11, 03:41 pm

jen_nah wrote:
kickingrass wrote:
deepthoughts wrote:
Guess Who wrote:
I fill in tier one it sould be

1.Webb
2.Higg
3.FCD
4.DT.South
5.Solor.Dynamo
6.DT.Bennett-
7.Liverpool
8.Fever-Red
9.Polaris
10.Feet

Has Polaris played any top-tier competition in recent months? I can't see putting them in tier one if they have not. I do congratulate the team for winning the Silver bracket at DTFF but I was told that they did not dominate either of the games that I had friends at. They simply competed well and were athletic, against Tier Two competitors all.

Polaris has tied or lost to Liverpool by 1 goal before the additional of late. Polaris with the current roster would beat Liverpool. Played DT south without additions to roster as well lost 3-0 late in game. Not sure Polaris would beat them but a close game it would be now. Played Vigil in dt festival with 6 Bennett players. Game was very even. I am sure Polaris will consider playing PT to see where they stand in spring.
Polaris is on the verge of tier 1 status. Time will tell.

This is your opinion and not one I would agree with. Glad your team has some great new additions but don't forget most of the top teams have had some great new additions to their squads as well. Like I said in a previous post LP has added to their squad in the past few weeks. The last time we matched in SDL we were also missing 2 of our forwards which makes a big difference.

Polaris is a great team that will go places but they would have a hard time against Dynamo which LP has beaten & tied this season. Polaris couldn't battle with Bennett the loss would be huge but LP has played Bennett (formally Glotz) while LP didn't win it was a very close game and teams were evenly matched. We played DTS and it was only a 1 goal difference where Polaris it was 3 and you didn't even score on them. When you matched DT Vigil back in Sept. you tied them 0-0 on the 11th then beat them 5-0 on the 17th but this month only pull a 1-0 win. The margin should have been bigger based on your past performance with not as strong team and Vigil using Bennett guest players this season.

Had to learn to crawl before we walked, we learned to walk before we ran, we are running now! learn, develop, improve, compete, one step at a time. We just want to move forward one step at a time and before we know it July will be here! Just remember it is a marathon not a sprint for these DD.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next