North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Evolution 2011 Boys Classic League D1 TryoutsYesterday at 02:21 pmCoach Stuart
EVOLUTION 15B MCGREGORYesterday at 02:06 pmLewis McGregor
Evo 13B McGregor, PPIL, Colleyville/Southlake/GrapevineYesterday at 01:47 pmLewis McGregor
EVOLUTION 14G MCGREGOR/GRAPEVINE/SOUTHLAKE/COLLEYVILLEYesterday at 01:37 pmLewis McGregor
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

02 Goalies Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205180 messages in 31966 subjects

02 Goalies

Go down

02 Goalies Empty 02 Goalies

Post by proudsoccermomnumber4 09/12/11, 10:46 pm

Long time reader and first time poster...

My daughter is an 02 goalie who plays rec in richardson and for an academy team that gets very little mention on this site. I think she is good (in my opinion) but she is on a bad team. What top teams need keepers and who are considered to be the top of the 02 goal keeper class? Can she get a fair shake in tryouts? How do you try out? It seems that goalies tend to be afterthoughts at this age. Top teams have goalies that see few shots. Bad teams get shots all the time. What is better? Is your daughter playing full time goalie a bad thing? Are they being typecast into a place where they are replaceable or losing valuable field experience? Can anyone recommend good private goalie training or clubs who promote training as part of the "cost of academy."

I would appreciate any positive feedback???

proudsoccermomnumber4
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

02 Goalies Empty Re: 02 Goalies

Post by jen_nah 09/12/11, 11:30 pm

My dd is a full time goalie for top 10 team. She has been in that position full time for 2yrs now. Is she losing some of her field skills probably but hard to say. She got lucky this summer (outdoor) she played the field for one of our sister teams. She looked good out there but she will tell you she loves being in the box over being on the field.

To be a great goal keeper you want your dd to actual get a fair amount of shots on goal per game. Being on any team with very few shots on goal isn't going to help them become better.

As far as club goalie training I know Liverpool does have goalie training all year long that is covered in your dues. Texans has goalie training in their fees during skills nights but only when outdoor season is going on.

I will say private 1 on 1 training is critical but it's a cost out of your pocket. Finding a good goalie coach that clicks with your dd is key. It took us about a year to find a goalie coach that my dd really likes and wants to get better to make him proud. He is worth every penny we pay him in my opinion.

jen_nah
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ekkeeper1 09/12/11, 11:33 pm

I dont really know which teams out there looking for goalkeepers but i can give some advice on finding a team that is the appropriate level.

I am a goalkeeping coach... and my experience with the younger aged goalkeepers is playing on a team where they get hammered all the time is not good for them nor is it good to be on a top team where they never get shots. When the Gk gets older and wants to try and play in college etc then move up. I would recommend looking at teams somewhere in the middle. A team that allow some shots but not getting a lot of shots all the time every game. I think for a young GK its important to develop by getting shot on. Does no good to stand there, and hard to be confident when you get scored on too much or face too many shots. Depending on what level the DD interested in maybe look into a team next year looking into d1 or d3 but not on a top 1 to 5 team.

ekkeeper1
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ekkeeper1 09/12/11, 11:35 pm

Also if intersted I provide goalkeeper training during Winter and Summer breaks. I have some camps and training sessions available if interested. I am affordable sessions prior to christmas are $20. After Christmas sessions will be $25. Sessions generally last an hour. The camp sessions I hold usually last between 1 1/2 and 2 hours.

Here is my background

8 Years of Club Soccer in North Texas
17 Years of Goalkeeper Playing Experience
3 Years of Varsity Soccer at Keller High School
4 Years of NCAA Division II Soccer Southwest Baptist University
Currently am the graduate assistant coach at the University of Wisconsin La Crosse
I have been coaching goalkeepers for 8 Years
I have my USSF D Coaching License
I also have NSCAA Level I and II Goalkeeping Diplomas

feel free to PM or email if interested in discussing emily_gksaves99@hotmail.com

ekkeeper1
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by gold digger 10/12/11, 04:54 am

I heard Dallas Texans Bennett needs a keeper. Not sure if they have filled spot by now. I would sure get ahold of them and give them a try. They are a top team in Dallas. They have strong backline. If she is a solid keeper it could be a good fit.

gold digger
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mcik17 10/12/11, 08:13 pm

jen_nah wrote:My dd is a full time goalie for top 10 team. She has been in that position full time for 2yrs now. Is she losing some of her field skills probably but hard to say. She got lucky this summer (outdoor) she played the field for one of our sister teams. She looked good out there but she will tell you she loves being in the box over being on the field.

To be a great goal keeper you want your dd to actual get a fair amount of shots on goal per game. Being on any team with very few shots on goal isn't going to help them become better.

As far as club goalie training I know Liverpool does have goalie training all year long that is covered in your dues. Texans has goalie training in their fees during skills nights but only when outdoor season is going on.

I will say private 1 on 1 training is critical but it's a cost out of your pocket. Finding a good goalie coach that clicks with your dd is key. It took us about a year to find a goalie coach that my dd really likes and wants to get better to make him proud. He is worth every penny we pay him in my opinion.

Don't underestimate playing goalie on a top team....while Jennah is correct that it can get boring at most games with the exception of playing the other top 5 teams, your dd will get plenty of shots on her in practice by some of the best players if she is on a top team. She will play against this talent usually 2 times a week in practice. I think that experiance of getting shot on hundreds of time in practice from her uber talented teammates is undervalued compared to getting 5-8 shots in a game situation. That being said, tell your coach ur concerns.Tell him being on a top team can get boring come game time and your not paying $3000 for your dd to stand and watch in all but about 4-5 competetive games. Tell them in blowout games you expect your dd to get field time. Now if your dd has very little field skills this won't work, but if she has pretty good field skills than she should be able to play with her teammates without holding them back to much. Also, most academy coaches tend to concentrate most if not all of practice time on their field players make sure to inform the coach that you pay dues also and you would like your dd to get some instruction on goalie strategy...maybe during shooting drills at the end of practice devote that last 15 minutes to the goalie on when to come out, when to slide, how to slide, what angle to take....our currrent coach does this pretty well but I've been around a lot that don't do anything and expect you to pay dues and not get any coaching. If they don't teach her tell them to scholarship her and you will use your dues money for private lessons...that will usually get their attention. Good Luck.....good goalies are always in demand!

Last edited by mcik17 on 12/12/11, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
mcik17
mcik17
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by mcik17 10/12/11, 08:57 pm

ekkeeper1 wrote:Also if intersted I provide goalkeeper training during Winter and Summer breaks. I have some camps and training sessions available if interested. I am affordable sessions prior to christmas are $20. After Christmas sessions will be $25. Sessions generally last an hour. The camp sessions I hold usually last between 1 1/2 and 2 hours.

Here is my background

Currently am the graduate assistant coach at the University of Wisconsin La Crosse

feel free to PM or email if interested in discussing emily_gksaves99@hotmail.com

We have used Coach Emily...she is great!
mcik17
mcik17
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by #9156 10/12/11, 09:07 pm

mcik17 wrote:
ekkeeper1 wrote:Also if intersted I provide goalkeeper training during Winter and Summer breaks. I have some camps and training sessions available if interested. I am affordable sessions prior to christmas are $20. After Christmas sessions will be $25. Sessions generally last an hour. The camp sessions I hold usually last between 1 1/2 and 2 hours.

Here is my background

My DD went to Coach Emily's camp last summer. She is excited to train with her again in a few weeks!

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by HonestAbe 11/12/11, 11:18 am

gold digger wrote:I heard Dallas Texans Bennett needs a keeper. Not sure if they have filled spot by now. I would sure get ahold of them and give them a try. They are a top team in Dallas. They have strong backline. If she is a solid keeper it could be a good fit.

Don't go to the DTexans, esp, Bennett or Higg, if you expect your DD to get any field time. They are too worried about winning to pull a goalie out of the box to play any other position. It's a 100% or nothing.

HonestAbe
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/12/11, 10:44 pm

I dont think proudsoccermom said anything about field play Honestabe. She was just asking about better teams that need a keeper. Did your DD get cut or benches by the Texans? I hate to tell you but if you want to play for a high ranking team it is about developing and WININNG. They do both. This is competitive soccer, not rec. Developing is important but so is winning. Go to Texans or Sting or FCD or Solar.

Back to top Go down

Post by GirlsSoccerDad 12/12/11, 12:38 pm

Sent my daughter to Coach Emily over Thanksgiving weekend. Great coach!
#9156 wrote:
mcik17 wrote:

Here is my background

My DD went to Coach Emily's camp last summer. She is excited to train with her again in a few weeks!

GirlsSoccerDad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by HonestAbe 12/12/11, 05:38 pm

Off sides wrote:I dont think proudsoccermom said anything about field play Honestabe. She was just asking about better teams that need a keeper. Did your DD get cut or benches by the Texans? I hate to tell you but if you want to play for a high ranking team it is about developing and WININNG. They do both. This is competitive soccer, not rec. Developing is important but so is winning. Go to Texans or Sting or FCD or Solar.

No, she never tried out. I called and asked about field play and that was the answer. Just trying to relay info about expectation if you go to this club. Sorry for the editorializing. I found that if you want your DD to play in the field, typically the better teams will turn them away. We're all good where we are.

Last edited by HonestAbe on 12/12/11, 05:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

HonestAbe
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by jen_nah 12/12/11, 06:22 pm

HonestAbe wrote:
Off sides wrote:I dont think proudsoccermom said anything about field play Honestabe. She was just asking about better teams that need a keeper. Did your DD get cut or benches by the Texans? I hate to tell you but if you want to play for a high ranking team it is about developing and WININNG. They do both. This is competitive soccer, not rec. Developing is important but so is winning. Go to Texans or Sting or FCD or Solar.

No, she never tried out. I called and asked about field play and that was the answer. Just trying to relay info about expectation if you go to this club. Sorry for the editorializing. I found that if you want your DD to play in the field, typically the better teams will turn them away. We're all good where we are.

Field play is going to be left up to the coach not the club. My dd played for the Texans until last month when her team moved clubs along with her coach. My dd got field time when we were up in points and this summer she played all summer season on a sister team. While on her squad she doesn't get a lot of field time but that is due to the caliber of teams we are playing. You need your best in the box when it's a tight game and when your playing top teams constantly that is going to mean the goalie is going to see very little field play.

jen_nah
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GirlsSoccerDad 13/12/11, 09:17 am

proudsoccermomnumber4 wrote:Long time reader and first time poster...

My daughter is an 02 goalie who plays rec in richardson and for an academy team that gets very little mention on this site. I think she is good (in my opinion) but she is on a bad team. What top teams need keepers and who are considered to be the top of the 02 goal keeper class? Can she get a fair shake in tryouts? How do you try out? It seems that goalies tend to be afterthoughts at this age. Top teams have goalies that see few shots. Bad teams get shots all the time. What is better? Is your daughter playing full time goalie a bad thing? Are they being typecast into a place where they are replaceable or losing valuable field experience? Can anyone recommend good private goalie training or clubs who promote training as part of the "cost of academy."

Another point I would share with you that I recieved from a good friend (who is the men's coach at one of the Universities here in DFW and coach of a top boys select team)when my DD started looking is don't worry about the "status" of the club/academy. More important than playing for a "top" team, is playing and playing for a coach that you & she like. Your DD has to play for a coach that she both enjoys and learns from. He also told me to look for a team that she will be a starter on, but not the best player on the team so that she is challenged.

The "top" teams in this age group now, are going to change over the next few years. Players are going to come and go, so go attend practices for several teams. It will give you a good idea of where your DD fits in best and who she will enjoy learning from the most.

GirlsSoccerDad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tmcc 13/12/11, 09:33 am

GirlsSoccerDad wrote:

Another point I would share with you that I recieved from a good friend (who is the men's coach at one of the Universities here in DFW and coach of a top boys select team)when my DD started looking is don't worry about the "status" of the club/academy. More important than playing for a "top" team, is playing and playing for a coach that you & she like. Your DD has to play for a coach that she both enjoys and learns from. He also told me to look for a team that she will be a starter on, but not the best player on the team so that she is challenged.

The "top" teams in this age group now, are going to change over the next few years. Players are going to come and go, so go attend practices for several teams. It will give you a good idea of where your DD fits in best and who she will enjoy learning from the most.

What? So you mean you don't have to play for an ECNL team to play high school or college soccer? lol!
tmcc
tmcc
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Location : Sometimes, when you mess with the bull, you get the horns!

Back to top Go down

Post by justsayin02 13/12/11, 12:37 pm

HonestAbe wrote:
gold digger wrote:I heard Dallas Texans Bennett needs a keeper. Not sure if they have filled spot by now. I would sure get ahold of them and give them a try. They are a top team in Dallas. They have strong backline. If she is a solid keeper it could be a good fit.

Don't go to the DTexans, esp, Bennett or Higg, if you expect your DD to get any field time. They are too worried about winning to pull a goalie out of the box to play any other position. It's a 100% or nothing.

Honestly Abe....quit lumping all DT teams together. Jen nah is right, it is up to the individual coach whether they will get field time or not. If it weren’t you would not have the professionals that you do coaching and developing our dd’s at the club level. If your on a good team they will practice to develop and play to win. They keep your best keeper in the box unless you are way up. Our DT coach has let our keeper play field in past but as Jen nah stated the tougher the competition the more the strongest person is needed there. As we all start to get closer and closer together in size and possibly skills you will see many players starting to find one or two particular positions and stick with them only (if it hasnt happened already)and only when points are up will those positions change around.

Really though the reason I had to comment on your post is I am tired of people lumping clubs into one particular situation. Do you think we have meetings and they say to all the coaches, "YOU WILL NEVER PLAY YOUR KEEPER IN THE FIELD" or any other comments that people have made about us or any other large club. When you make broad statements like you did it looks like you have a beef with the club and then no one really cares what you think. The only reason I am taking the time to post to you is you are first time poster (?) and you may not know that most of us on the forum have seen many of you come and go and usually go when they are able to get on the team that they have been complaining about all along. Just sayin.
justsayin02
justsayin02
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GirlsSoccerDad 13/12/11, 01:02 pm

tmcc wrote:
GirlsSoccerDad wrote:

What? So you mean you don't have to play for an ECNL team to play high school or college soccer? lol!

HA! Good one. Although, according to some on this forum, if your DD is not on a top 10 team by the ripe old age of 10, she doesn't stand a chance so you might as well pack it in and take up badmitton! (no disrespect to you badmittoner's)

GirlsSoccerDad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cloud10ibi 13/12/11, 01:43 pm

[quote="proudsoccermomnumber4"]Long time reader and first time poster...

I would appreciate any positive feedback??? 2 of the top 3 teams in FBR are loaded at goalie. Just a heads up.

cloud10ibi
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13/12/11, 10:42 pm

most of my posts are cynical and stupid but you sound like you need an honest and objective answer so here is my shot.

you have indicated your dd is on a rec team and a bad academy team that gets little mention and then go on to inquire about the top of the 02 goal keeper class. i am not casting any judgement on you or your child, but the gap is very large.

can she get a fair shake - how tryout? this is academy; any team - anytime. you evidently read the forum so i recommend going to the websites of the best teams near your house, contact the coach or team manager by email or cell and ask to attend practice. event the best teams are always looking for talent. they won't refuse. see how she fits in. if it doesn't feel right try someone else. if your dd can play, they wont turn her away.

as far as goalies as afterthoughts and losing field play - this is a transitional age. Somewhere between last year and the next two years a player will "become" a goalie. This is actually a good situation. All great teams need great goalies. And so do colleges. no one wants to play goalie they want to score goals, but at some time (around now) the commitment needs to be made. as i said, it's transitional age. some have started down the road with specialized training and official "goalies" while other are still splitting some time. if you go to a top team and tell them your dd is a goalie, she is going evaluated as and assigned to be the goalie. if you go to a team and tell them your dd is a left defender, but can help at goal, then you may get some balance.

as far a gk training, i think the others have given a nice endorsement to emily. i 4th that.

Back to top Go down

02 Goalies Empty Thoughts on Goalies in 02

Post by deepthoughts 14/12/11, 03:49 pm

My daughter is an 02 goalie who plays rec in richardson and for an academy team that gets very little mention on this site. I think she is good (in my opinion) but she is on a bad team.

Most coaches will be happy to give you a free try-out practices for free, and then will give you a pretty darn honest answer of how advanced your kid's skills are if you are willing to ask questions and listen instead of try to sell you daughter.

I would call a few coaches that have a good number of years of experience and then attend the practices. You will discover pretty quickly how they think your DD stacks up. Granted, they won't see your DD in real game situations but experienced coach have a pretty good feel from first impressions. Its really amazing how humans in general are adept at making a good call 90+% of the time from first impressions.

proudsoccermomnumber4 wrote:It seems that goalies tend to be afterthoughts at this age.

Not true. One great save is worth the same as one great goal and coaches with experience know that. The coaches are intensely interested in key positions like keeper, sweeper, and in truth, the entire defense. Championships are won with a foundation of good defense. I think the problem is that parents are often fixated on scoring and often don't realize that it takes a team effort to win. A team that fields 7 great kids and 4 weak links will not rise to the top of a league. Soccer requires teamwork.

When my older kid went select, there was definitely a shortage of good goalkeepers. I do not know if that is the case in the 02s but I have heard that a shortage and not a surplus is the norm.

proudsoccermomnumber4 wrote:Top teams have goalies that see few shots. Bad teams get shots all the time. What is better?

There are pluses and minuses but what I see as more important is to try to play on a team that competes hard, is learning, has a good coach, and the kids and parents get along well. When you go select this summer, you will be on this team for at least a year, but probably a lot longer. You want the right chemistry. If you want to play in Lake Highlands, you would probably like to pick a team that is already in the top 25 right now, based on how the rankings tend to predict LH qualification every year (see the 11-25 FBR thread for more education on that front).

proudsoccermomnumber4 wrote:Is your daughter playing full time goalie a bad thing?

This is the year that kids tend to land in a position. Not much more to say - for the most part, that is what is happening in North Texas soccer. So I would say, yes, you will be playing full-time keeper if you join a team that is trying to compete for those top 30 Lake Highlands slots.

proudsoccermomnumber4 wrote:Are they being typecast into a place where they are replaceable

Being in competitive soccer means you are replaceable. No position is safe. Clearly, picking the right coach matters a lot when it comes to loyalty to his or her existing squad.

proudsoccermomnumber4 wrote:or losing valuable field experience?

Few keepers seem as good at field as they are in goal - your DD might be the exception. I have seen goalies that do get to play in the field, but they usually don't make much of an impact on the game when not in goal. Not sure why that is, but I have seen it time and time again - It is probably the extra 5,000 touches those full-time field players have had over the last few years in game situations.

Not saying it is right, but many coaches don't want to lose a game in order to give the keeper field time, if they feel that it weakens the team when the keeper is out there. It often comes down to how good is the backup keeper.
deepthoughts
deepthoughts
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19/01/12, 09:23 am

To: Proudsoccermomnumber4

You should check out the 02 Dallas Texans Powell for possibly a goalkeeper position

Back to top Go down

Post by cloud10ibi 19/01/12, 10:03 am

dtexans17 wrote:To: Proudsoccermomnumber4

You should check out the 02 Dallas Texans Powell for possibly a goalkeeper position

Seems like a lot of 02 teams are looking for a "Goalie." Where are the top 02 Goalies playing at? ?

cloud10ibi
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down