North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Evolution 2011 Boys Classic League D1 TryoutsToday at 02:21 pmCoach Stuart
EVOLUTION 15B MCGREGORToday at 02:06 pmLewis McGregor
Evo 13B McGregor, PPIL, Colleyville/Southlake/GrapevineToday at 01:47 pmLewis McGregor
EVOLUTION 14G MCGREGOR/GRAPEVINE/SOUTHLAKE/COLLEYVILLEToday at 01:37 pmLewis McGregor
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Next Step in NTX youth soccer? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205180 messages in 31966 subjects

Next Step in NTX youth soccer?

Go down

Next Step in NTX youth soccer? Empty Next Step in NTX youth soccer?

Post by Gunner9 31/10/12, 10:24 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6451796
Gunner9
Gunner9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Next Step in NTX youth soccer? Empty Re: Next Step in NTX youth soccer?

Post by Hook It 31/10/12, 11:14 am

Very sad exploitation of youth sports. Not really shocking though, which is also sad.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 31/10/12, 07:01 pm

Hook It wrote:Very sad exploitation of youth sports. Not really shocking though, which is also sad.

Not shocking at all. How often have we seen charts, power rankings, and extensive reviews of even academy level teams right here on this forum? People genuinely get that caught up in their kids' sports. And then they defend it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 31/10/12, 07:22 pm

dup post

Last edited by silentparent on 31/10/12, 07:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 31/10/12, 07:22 pm

Xara wrote:
Hook It wrote:Very sad exploitation of youth sports. Not really shocking though, which is also sad.

Not shocking at all. How often have we seen charts, power rankings, and extensive reviews of even academy level teams right here on this forum? People genuinely get that caught up in their kids' sports. And then they defend it.

that's a stretch even for you. drinking and getting high on the sidelines ,betting? puleeze

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 01/11/12, 07:20 am

silentparent wrote:
Xara wrote:
that's a stretch even for you. drinking and getting high on the sidelines ,betting? puleeze
I don't think that's much of a stretch.

There's another string going on the boys' board right now about seeding for the Texans DC Qualifier Tournament. "Higher ranked" folks are going back and forth about where their kid's team ranks and how they shouldn't be compelled to play "lower ranked" teams that haven't earned a shot at DC. The "lower ranked" folks are firing back that they deserve a shot at the DC invitation and to settle it on the field. On that string people are saying a lot of stupid crap. They're getting way too high on youth soccer.

All it would take from here is somebody to say, "You sure do talk big. Do you wanna bet on that?" BANG! You've suddenly opened the door to the exact same thing (an illegal gambling ring) happening here in NTX.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01/11/12, 07:46 am

silentparent wrote:
Xara wrote:

A stretch? Really? How often do parents get into cussing matches or even fist fights over kids' sports? Is that not worse than gambling? And I hear of dads who regularly offer their daughters money to score or even put another player on her butt in a game when they have an axe to grind. Betting is the next logical step in the degradation of children's sports. It might not be quite so blatant as the high class individuals featured in the video. But I could easily see someone on here creating a "Fantasy LHGCL Soccer League" rife with an entry fee and stats on top scorers, injuries, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 01/11/12, 08:31 am

Xara wrote:
silentparent wrote:
Xara wrote:

A stretch? Really? How often do parents get into cussing matches or even fist fights over kids' sports? Is that not worse than gambling? And I hear of dads who regularly offer their daughters money to score or even put another player on her butt in a game when they have an axe to grind. Betting is the next logical step in the degradation of children's sports. It might not be quite so blatant as the high class individuals featured in the video. But I could easily see someone on here creating a "Fantasy LHGCL Soccer League" rife with an entry fee and stats on top scorers, injuries, etc.
It's easy to watch that video and say "Oh that stupidity could never happen here. We're too holy for that." but I don't think that's true. We take this stuff way too far sometimes. Most of us already recognize that the people in this market seem to have more dollars than sense. What’s a couple $100s against the spread to make the upcoming game more interesting?

If we already have the ability to calculate multiple forms for complete team rankings in each age division, we certainly have enough information to calculate reasonable betting lines on an upcoming game. It would just be a matter of taking it one step further and forecasting with trends.

We even have the perfect place to start. No event is more over-analyzed by us parents then the QT. People on this board drive themselves nuts with the details on each match up. It has a similar feel to the NCAA Tournament. The NCAA Basketball Tournament is one of the most heavily wagered events every year. If an illegal gambling ring was going to start here, the QT is when and where it would happen.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach 01/11/12, 08:59 am

Betting? Not a stretch. Probably happens some already. Just not to the tune of 20K a game.
Drinking. Not a stretch. Saw people enjoying their hot toddy's on the sidelines this past weekend.
Smoking pot? Now that is a stretch. Won't happen. Been doing this a long time and have never even seen it. Smoking in the parking lot I have witnessed. On the sidelines....no way, never.
Coach
Coach
Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01/11/12, 09:21 am

bigtex75081 wrote:
Xara wrote:
silentparent wrote:
Xara wrote:

It's easy to watch that video and say "Oh that stupidity could never happen here. We're too holy for that." but I don't think that's true. We take this stuff way too far sometimes. Most of us already recognize that the people in this market seem to have more dollars than sense. What’s a couple $100s against the spread to make the upcoming game more interesting?

If we already have the ability to calculate multiple forms for complete team rankings in each age division, we certainly have enough information to calculate reasonable betting lines on an upcoming game. It would just be a matter of taking it one step further and forecasting with trends.

We even have the perfect place to start. No event is more over-analyzed by us parents then the QT. People on this board drive themselves nuts with the details on each match up. It has a similar feel to the NCAA Tournament. The NCAA Basketball Tournament is one of the most heavily wagered events every year. If an illegal gambling ring was going to start here, the QT is when and where it would happen.

You guys (and gal in the case of Xara) are reaching. I guarantee you those drug dealers gambling on pee wee football didn't fall into it after getting too caught up in stats, charts and rankings. lol!

Drug dealers gamble on anything and everything. It's part of the macho culture. But no worries, you'd never find them (or Vegas) betting on girls soccer, because of the same factor Xara has been shouting from the rooftops for years, namely - NOBODY CARES.

We talk about QT incessantly because it's our own kids involved. No one gives a rats behind about it unless they have a kid or are otherwise related to a kid playing. Slim to none chance even those of us with kids playing would be willing to suffer through watching other kids soccer games for the sake of gambling. How exactly do you two get from giving a kid a couple bucks for a goal, and a hyper focus on QT which lasts a few months and then completely diminishes ---> to illegal gambling with tens of thousands of dollars waged by participants who are mostly criminals?

This is par for the course with Xara, but I'm surprised the generally reasonable bigtex can rationalize this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01/11/12, 09:30 am

3-4-3 wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:
Xara wrote:
silentparent wrote:
Xara wrote:

You guys (and gal in the case of Xara) are reaching. I guarantee you those drug dealers gambling on pee wee football didn't fall into it after getting too caught up in stats, charts and rankings. lol!

Drug dealers gamble on anything and everything. It's part of the macho culture. But no worries, you'd never find them (or Vegas) betting on girls soccer, because of the same factor Xara has been shouting from the rooftops for years, namely - NOBODY CARES.

We talk about QT incessantly because it's our own kids involved. No one gives a rats behind about it unless they have a kid or are otherwise related to a kid playing. Slim to none chance even those of us with kids playing would be willing to suffer through watching other kids soccer games for the sake of gambling. How exactly do you two get from giving a kid a couple bucks for a goal, and a hyper focus on QT which lasts a few months and then completely diminishes ---> to illegal gambling with tens of thousands of dollars waged by participants who are mostly criminals?

This is par for the course with Xara, but I'm surprised the generally reasonable bigtex can rationalize this one.

Slow news day apparently. The whole idea is laughable. Maybe in the ghetto but not here. afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01/11/12, 09:34 am

3-4-3 wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:
Xara wrote:
silentparent wrote:
Xara wrote:

Speak for yourself... I was at the Bates/Flanny game last Saturday and there was a huddle of about 10 soccer Mom's from Southlake and West Plano swapping Platinum cards and snorting Carmel Macchiatos... not to mention being blinded by the bling! affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 01/11/12, 09:36 am

bwgophers wrote:
3-4-3 wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:
Xara wrote:
silentparent wrote:
Xara wrote:

Speak for yourself... I was at the Bates/Flanny game last Saturday and there was a huddle of about 10 soccer Mom's from Southlake and West Plano huddled in a group swapping Platinum cards and snorting Carmel Macchiatos... not to mention being blinded by the bling! affraid
@3-4-3 - I can't help it. I do A LOT of statiscal analysis for my job. My mind just clicks that way. When a discussion like this pops up, I have a hard time letting it go.

When I first saw the story I thought it was insane. Then, knowing all the stats we have available for these girls' teams, and how excited we get sometimes, I started to think through it. I think starting something like this up wouldn't be hard. I think it would actually be pretty easy. The hard part would be keeping it a secret and not getting caught.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01/11/12, 09:50 am

3-4-3 wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:
Xara wrote:
silentparent wrote:
Xara wrote:

Hate me for a lot of reasons, 3-4-3, but don't hate me because I'm right... again. In this case, Big Tex nailed it, as well. You're rationalizing, like a large percentage of the posters do on here day in and day out.

By the way, what made you decide the people betting in the video were drug dealers and mostly criminals versus just parents too caught up in their kids' sport? Ahem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01/11/12, 09:54 am

What's sad is that the cops don't care. Seems pretty easy to me. Do you have a kid here? No, get out. Here's a ticket for open container. Drugs on your person, downtown. Why are you flashing lots of cash, lets go downtown and talk about it. Pretty soon, the whole sorry bunch would be gone. Shine the light on the cockroaches and they will flee, live and let live then they will overrun you. Since a bunch of these losers are probably on parole, I doubt they want anything to do with the cops.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01/11/12, 09:58 am

Xara wrote:By the way, what made you decide the people betting in the video were drug dealers and mostly criminals versus just parents too caught up in their kids' sport? Ahem.

Oh, I dunno Xara... perhaps it was this quote in the article...

Ron Thurston, 34, who has been a head coach in the league since 2005 and is a Broward County sheriff's deputy, estimates that about a fourth of the crowd at games is criminals.

"And that's a lot to be around kids," he said. He recalled an incident when an off-duty detective alerted him to a guy who was threatening to shoot a coach. When Thurston got to him, "sure enough, he has a loaded gun on him, a 9-millimeter, one in the chamber."

or maybe it was this quote...

"Just to be straightforward, these guys, they're drug dealers who are doing this gambling," he said. "They're the only guys that have this type of money to bet on little kids."

...don't know how anyone could draw such a wild conclusion... confused confused confused (again, three for extra emphasis just for Xara...)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01/11/12, 10:03 am

bigtex75081 wrote:
bwgophers wrote:
3-4-3 wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:
Xara wrote:
silentparent wrote:

Speak for yourself... I was at the Bates/Flanny game last Saturday and there was a huddle of about 10 soccer Mom's from Southlake and West Plano huddled in a group swapping Platinum cards and snorting Carmel Macchiatos... not to mention being blinded by the bling! affraid
@3-4-3 - I can't help it. I do A LOT of statiscal analysis for my job. My mind just clicks that way. When a discussion like this pops up, I have a hard time letting it go.

When I first saw the story I thought it was insane. Then, knowing all the stats we have available for these girls' teams, and how excited we get sometimes, I started to think through it. I think starting something like this up wouldn't be hard. I think it would actually be pretty easy. The hard part would be keeping it a secret and not getting caught.

Sure it would be easy if the organized gambling demographic cared about soccer. Coaches probably wager a little on a game here and there. Parents too. This is America. It's what we do.

But how do you get an organized girls soccer gambling ring complete with player stats and etc. when few watch games unless it's their own kids (or at most their own kids age group). The only reliable thing you can get for girls soccer is the final score reported by one of the parents. You'd be hard pressed to get anything else. The crowds at those Florida pee wee football games where bets are waged probably dwarf a girls soccer state cup or high school championship game. Why? Because it's not just the parents paying attention.

If there ever were major illegal gambling on soccer, it would mean soccer has elevated as a major American sport. It's still a mostly middle class, suburban sport in our country. You're not anymore likely to find an illegal girls soccer gambling ring than you are lacrosse, gymnastics, volleyball, tennis or golf.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01/11/12, 10:14 am

bwgophers wrote:
Xara wrote:By the way, what made you decide the people betting in the video were drug dealers and mostly criminals versus just parents too caught up in their kids' sport? Ahem.

Ron Thurston, 34, who has been a head coach in the league since 2005 and is a Broward County sheriff's deputy, estimates that about a fourth of the crowd at games is criminals.

"And that's a lot to be around kids," he said. He recalled an incident when an off-duty detective alerted him to a guy who was threatening to shoot a coach. When Thurston got to him, "sure enough, he has a loaded gun on him, a 9-millimeter, one in the chamber."

"Just to be straightforward, these guys, they're drug dealers who are doing this gambling," he said. "They're the only guys that have this type of money to bet on little kids."

...don't know how anyone could draw such a wild conclusion... confused confused confused (again, three for extra emphasis just for Xara...)

Sorry, BW, I didn't realize you were 3-4-3's spokesperson. 3-4-3 made the statement "participants who are mostly criminals". "A fourth of the crowd at games" is not mostly criminals. Be sure to get your references right if you're going to carry the torch for another poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 01/11/12, 10:25 am

bigtex75081 wrote:
silentparent wrote:
Xara wrote:

There's another string going on the boys' board right now about seeding for the Texans DC Qualifier Tournament. "Higher ranked" folks are going back and forth about where their kid's team ranks and how they shouldn't be compelled to play "lower ranked" teams that haven't earned a shot at DC. The "lower ranked" folks are firing back that they deserve a shot at the DC invitation and to settle it on the field. On that string people are saying a lot of stupid crap. They're getting way too high on youth soccer.

All it would take from here is somebody to say, "You sure do talk big. Do you wanna bet on that?" BANG! You've suddenly opened the door to the exact same thing (an illegal gambling ring) happening here in NTX.

What is a strEtch is using that string to make your argument. That thread is about the qualifier being advertised as a way to get in the DC and then the making of two divisions, one not in the qualifier. It is about what is percieved as a bait and switch. the other issue is about a small indy thinking they deserve a shot, some posters agree, some do not.

Bottom line, if you think it would not be a strectch to see gambling happpen on select soccer then you think many of the parents of such have or are prone to gambling problems. A false premise which collapses the whole arguement.

my2cents
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01/11/12, 10:26 am

Xara wrote:
bwgophers wrote:

Sorry, BW, I didn't realize you were 3-4-3's spokesperson. 3-4-3 made the statement "participants who are mostly criminals". "A fourth of the crowd at games" is not mostly criminals. Be sure to get your references right if you're going to carry the torch for another poster.

Um yes it is. And a staggering number to be around children. Your boat has sunk xara on this one.... Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 01/11/12, 10:42 am

my2cents wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:
silentparent wrote:
Xara wrote:

What is a strEtch is using that string to make your argument. That thread is about the qualifier being advertised as a way to get in the DC and then the making of two divisions, one not in the qualifier. It is about what is percieved as a bait and switch. the other issue is about a small indy thinking they deserve a shot, some posters agree, some do not.

Bottom line, if you think it would not be a strectch to see gambling happpen on select soccer then you think many of the parents of such have or are prone to gambling problems. A false premise which collapses the whole arguement.
Gambling problem is a relative term. To quote Charles Barkley, "Do I have a gambling problem? I do have a gambling problem, but it's not really a problem because I can afford to gamble."
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01/11/12, 10:44 am

Xara wrote:

This reminds me of one of those sleazy campaign ads where a politician dices up the words of an opponent before sneakily using them out of context. The "participants" I was referring to were the people participating in open gambling on pee wee football. The article indicated they were drug dealers. Thus I referred to them as "criminals".

Since I know your reading comprehension is stellar, I'll just chalk it up to you having an off day. Normally your arguments have a sliver of truth in the midst of all the noise...apparently - just not today. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by deny your goals 01/11/12, 10:52 am

Looks like they arrested some of the coaches & the president of the league yesterday. It's a different president than from the original OTL footage.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/florida-youth-football-coaches-face-disturbing-charges-betting-111730314.html
deny your goals
deny your goals
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It 01/11/12, 11:02 am

Xara wrote:
silentparent wrote:
Xara wrote:

My DD cost me(earned?) $190 last year in goal money (she gets $10 for the RF and $25 for the left foot) cheers

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down