North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Which direction to go? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Which direction to go?

Go down

Which direction to go? Empty Which direction to go?

Post by mommabear1 10/04/13, 11:53 am

Any advice from experienced parents?

DD was dedicated keep for 2.5 yrs, decided she wanted to be a field player last year. Left D1 team to go where she'd have an opp to get on the field. She has struggled and her confidence is down. Plays about 12 min a half now but was used to being a starter who had 100% playing time so while 12 min a half may not be too bad, she sees it that way. Coach says she is progressing, wants her to stay. She likes Coach and team but leaves every game feeling defeated and like she isn't making a difference on the team. Parents all good with Coach and team but loved her at keep and miss watching her but support her on field if that's what she wants...but just not too sure she is improving Sad Two other notes: team is getting really good and will probably step up next year to tougher competition...so what will happen to her playing time then? She has a blast a practice and never wants to miss...it is just games she is defeated about. She had said she has an interest in going back as keep but parents concerned it is just because she feels defeated and not what she really wants. HELP ?

mommabear1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Which direction to go? Empty Re: Which direction to go?

Post by Blank77 10/04/13, 12:00 pm

What age group are we talking? Probably different advice if she is a 98 or an 06.
Blank77
Blank77
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mommabear1 10/04/13, 12:01 pm

Blank77 wrote:What age group are we talking? Probably different advice if she is a 98 or an 06.

mommabear1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by lovesoccer 10/04/13, 12:02 pm

mommabear1 wrote:Any advice from experienced parents?

DD was dedicated keep for 2.5 yrs, decided she wanted to be a field player last year. Left D1 team to go where she'd have an opp to get on the field. She has struggled and her confidence is down. Plays about 12 min a half now but was used to being a starter who had 100% playing time so while 12 min a half may not be too bad, she sees it that way. Coach says she is progressing, wants her to stay. She likes Coach and team but leaves every game feeling defeated and like she isn't making a difference on the team. Parents all good with Coach and team but loved her at keep and miss watching her but support her on field if that's what she wants...but just not too sure she is improving Sad Two other notes: team is getting really good and will probably step up next year to tougher competition...so what will happen to her playing time then? She has a blast a practice and never wants to miss...it is just games she is defeated about. She had said she has an interest in going back as keep but parents concerned it is just because she feels defeated and not what she really wants. HELP ?

I know being a keeper they do lose some of their foot skills and while they train with the them they don't have real game situation under their belt like the field players. I say this because I have watched my dd play the field on occasion (when we have a big lead and her coach allows her time on the field). She is slower to react because she isn't used to the position and her confidence in that spot isn't as great. She isn't bad but she isn't great like a regular field player of that position.

I know who your dd is and having been with the team your on in the past you do have a great group of parents and a good coach. It will take time and the only way for her to improve is to get more field time. Have you looked into getting her private lessons to help improve her foot skills and help build her confidence?

lovesoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mommabear1 10/04/13, 12:05 pm

lovesoccer wrote:

I know being a keeper they do lose some of their foot skills and while they train with the them they don't have real game situation under their belt like the field players. I say this because I have watched my dd play the field on occasion (when we have a big lead and her coach allows her time on the field). She is slower to react because she isn't used to the position and her confidence in that spot isn't as great. She isn't bad but she isn't great like a regular field player of that position.

I know who your dd is and having been with the team your on in the past you do have a great group of parents and a good coach. It will take time and the only way for her to improve is to get more field time. Have you looked into getting her private lessons to help improve her foot skills and help build her confidence?

She has some of the best skills/touch on the team due to all the training she had when playing for high level teams. She just sees not starting and not playing much to mean Coach doesn't think she is good. No amount of telling her it that isn't true seems to make a difference. I think Coach is fair and maybe sometimes more generous than he should be. She has some good games and some that look like you'd never guess she has played this game 8 years. lol Sorry..I don't mean to sound negative...I wouldn't say that to her, but I sometimes wonder where her head is! Could be the "tween" thing going on there too! lol

mommabear1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 10/04/13, 12:22 pm

mommabear1 wrote:
She just sees not starting and not playing much to mean Coach doesn't think she is good. No amount of telling her it that isn't true seems to make a difference.

That is a pretty good observation. Coaches do not sit players that can contribute at u11 soccer. If she isn't playing, he doesn't think she is that good.

Too me, at u11, she should be playing the field and playing the field 80% of the game unless she is 100% certain she wants to play goalie for the rest of her life. Find a team where the coach really thinks she can help the team and get her out there. I guarantee if she is playing 20-25 minutes a half she will love the field.

It may just be me, but some of best keepers I knew in high school and college where converted field players after u14.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by 2028 10/04/13, 12:53 pm

My DD plays in goal 100% of the time but she works hard staying in field shape. She does Futsal, Indoor, and private trainings as well as practice with her team. Get as many extra touches on the ball as possible away from the team and skills will take care of themselves.
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 10/04/13, 01:09 pm

Yeah, I'm afraid this really is an easy one. Accepting the obvious may be the bigger challenge. Get your girl on a team that needs her on the field. Maybe it will be at a much lower level, but so what? She's an 02 and should be playing in the games or it will all be ruined for her. Faster than you would guess. Kids want to compete in games. Too many coaches sell the idea that it's all about practices and development. Even more parents buy into it. What a crock.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 10/04/13, 01:13 pm

2028 wrote:My DD plays in goal 100% of the time but she works hard staying in field shape. She does Futsal, Indoor, and private trainings as well as practice with her team. Get as many extra touches on the ball as possible away from the team and skills will take care of themselves.

All good things for a well rounded soccer player, well, except for the lack of playing soccer. There are intangibles that cannot be learned in training, futsal, and indoor. It all comes down to, do you want to be a field player or a goalie. Unfortunately you kind of have to decide this by u11. I would put my daughter's real feelings first (not just what she is saying), and do what is right for her. You are her only advocate with her as your top agenda. I'd rather my daughter play rec and have fun as a full time field player then be miserable in goal on the top team with the best coach and training. It is all about her - at least for you Smile
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by mommabear1 10/04/13, 01:17 pm

Blank77 wrote:
2028 wrote:My DD plays in goal 100% of the time but she works hard staying in field shape. She does Futsal, Indoor, and private trainings as well as practice with her team. Get as many extra touches on the ball as possible away from the team and skills will take care of themselves.

All good things for a well rounded soccer player, well, except for the lack of playing soccer. There are intangibles that cannot be learned in training, futsal, and indoor. It all comes down to, do you want to be a field player or a goalie. Unfortunately you kind of have to decide this by u11. I would put my daughter's real feelings first (not just what she is saying), and do what is right for her. You are her only advocate with her as your top agenda. I'd rather my daughter play rec and have fun as a full time field player then be miserable in goal on the top team with the best coach and training. It is all about her - at least for you Smile

Thanks Blank.

mommabear1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 10/04/13, 01:26 pm

Take DD to a new team to tryout as a field player ONLY. Don't even tell ANYONE on the tryout field that DD plays (or has ever played) goalkeeper. If you tell anyone that she's a goalkeeper, that word will spread like wildfire around the field and she'll immediately be asked to show what she can do in the net.

See if she makes the new team as a field player. If she doesn't make it, just go back to your old team. If she does make it, let her decide between the two teams/roles. If decides to go with the new team, hopefully they have a capable starter. After signing, if DD still wants a little time in net, then you can tell the coach that DD wouldn't mind being an emergency/backup keeper for this new squad.

If she wants to be a field player though, you need to take her to a team and coach that will look at her as a field player... not a goalie masquerading as a field player.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 10/04/13, 02:16 pm

Let her do what she wants. Sometimes we treat the field player like its better and don't let it be a forward. The reality is forwards are dime a dozen but keepers are precious followed by defenders. If all she wants to do is play on the field then just find a team that "needs" her on the field. Be prepared for the level to not be that high. If she wants to be a top level field player then she has work to do and may have to sacrifice playing time to get there. But as parents we all need to back away as much as possible. Ask what she wants to get out of soccer, what kind of experience she wants, and then let her make the decision (with your guidence)
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by futbolfreak 10/04/13, 02:24 pm

Hmmm. Sounds like she is not entirely sure what she wants (and, heck, she is just 10 or 11, right?). Since it sounds like you have a good relationship with the coach what about explaining things and seeing about getting a release to guest play for another team in a tournament or two (as a field player). She could see what it "feels like" to play on the field with a different team and it may solidify her decision--which may very well be that she stays on her existing team but then SHE will have tried other things and made her own decision. At least, that's the thing that works with my kiddo--once she takes charge of her own decision making process she is much happier and more confident even if she chooses what she already has.

futbolfreak
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccersounder 10/04/13, 04:16 pm

Let her play in the field...

Getting your GK skills back in order comes much more quickly than Field positions do. I can atest first hand. Except for one game as a back-up for our GK being out of town, my DD hadn't played GK since U9 and she recently played 7 games as a GK as a High School Freshman, her school is terible, but she shut-out both Lewisville and Allen... You can always come back to GK, ask Hope Solo
soccersounder
soccersounder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 10/04/13, 05:06 pm

I would say that any female soccer player would do well to learn and play in every position at one point or another - even the dime a dozen foward position (since obviously they are really worthless, she might want to stay away from that position). My DD has played in the deadly forward position, but has also played outside mid, center mid and defender when needed. Being a utility player is actually a good thing because you can fill in anywhere at any time.

Someone mentioned Hope Solo. In high school, as a forward at Richland High School, Solo scored 109 goals, leading her team to three consecutive league titles from 1996–1998 and a state championship in her senior year. (so much for the disgusting, do nothing, dime a dozen forwards). Very Happy

I know how hard it is for a young girl who isn't sure what she wants to be on the field. And I think it is especially hard to move out of the box and onto the field when you aren't used to the field play.

It is a different mind set to go from a position that requires stillness and then activity and back to stillness. You don't have that much slowness on the field and the thinking process is an on your feet event. I don't know your dd, but I do know that speed, even moderate speed is required on the field. Perhaps you could work with her on running and passing? Speed and agility are great regardless of position.

Any way, best of luck to you and your DD.
InaB
InaB

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 10/04/13, 05:16 pm

Love the hope solo example 109 goals and league titles and still didn't make it as a forward. Oppotunities as a forward as they move on are few and far between
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 10/04/13, 05:24 pm

go99 wrote:Love the hope solo example 109 goals and league titles and still didn't make it as a forward. Oppotunities as a forward as they move on are few and far between

It wasn't that she didn't make it as a forward, she chose to be a goalie. A team is made up of all of its parts, striker/forward, sweeper, defender, full back, center mids, outside mids. Every position is important and hopefully this DD will find the place she loves or maybe even several places. Peace out. cheers
InaB
InaB

Back to top Go down

Post by mommabear1 10/04/13, 06:04 pm

Uh oh. Her coach has her playing center forward. We ARE in trouble Wink. Teasing. Thanks everyone!

mommabear1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by #9156 10/04/13, 08:06 pm

Pretty sure I know what team you're talking about. Why not ask the coach about splitting time in the net? He did this during the season before select. If she was playing 1/2 keeper & 12-15 min on the field, would she be happy? I bet he'd agree to it.

Another option, see if she can scrimmage with the 00 team he coaches. The bigger / stronger competition during a scrimmage would help with her aggressiveness and confidence.

As far as going to another team...the FW soccer world is pretty small. Not sure she could walk out there and tryout as a forward without someone already knowing she's played keeper.

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 11/04/13, 11:56 am

mommabear1 wrote:Uh oh. Her coach has her playing center forward. We ARE in trouble Wink. Teasing. Thanks everyone!

LOL. I will offer this advice, she needs to play, play, play to take the rust away. She also needs to run to build up speed and stamina. Are there any team mates in the area that she could practice with away from the team? Is there (perhaps) an area soccer team (rec or school) that would let her practice with them? What she needs is the repetition and the passing drills. Maybe there is a local YMCA close to you where she could get in extra play. The more she plays at this point, the more confidence she'll develop.

I don't know where you live, or I would offer to have her work out with my DD who is a little older than yours.
InaB
InaB

Back to top Go down

Post by sideline fan 11/04/13, 02:10 pm

There are many teams out there looking for a good field player. You need to listen to what your DD is telling you about how she feels. If your current coach thought she was good she would be playing more. Find another team. There are allot of good teams/fun teams. The love of the game is important and it sounds like she is drifting away. Crying or Very sad

sideline fan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/04/13, 02:16 pm

go99 wrote:Love the hope solo example 109 goals and league titles and still didn't make it as a forward. Oppotunities as a forward as they move on are few and far between

That is why to be a truly good forward, you have to be a superstar and unique. Forwards who can score and finish on a consistent basis are not a dime a dozen but more like "priceless". cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It 14/04/13, 11:42 pm

RunsLikeWind wrote:

That is why to be a truly good forward, you have to be a superstar and unique. Forwards who can score and finish on a consistent basis are not a dime a dozen but more like "priceless". cheers

She can always go back to keeper... there are many opportunities for that in the future if she is an 02. If she wants the field she needs to fight for it or be happy with the time she gets and the team/friends she has.

Are you all enjoying each week, practice/ games the whole experience? if yes great, if not... do something about it to improve your DD and family experience! You have plenty of time and if you change teams approach it that your DD could be the backup keeper. It is a real asset to a team to know they have a goto player for this (tournaments especially...)

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down