North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Water Breaks....Really? - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Water Breaks....Really?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Water Breaks....Really? - Page 2 Empty Re: Water Breaks....Really?

Post by TripDDs 22/07/13, 12:56 pm

Apparently the trend of competitive soccer becoming rec soccer continues..... get out the participation trophies and make sure all players, regardless of skill or condition get equal time.

TripDDs
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/07/13, 01:08 pm

TripDDs wrote:Apparently the trend of competitive soccer becoming rec soccer continues..... get out the participation trophies and make sure all players, regardless of skill or condition get equal time.

yes, lets do two a day practices with no water breaks, wouldn't want to be rec now would we? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 22/07/13, 01:22 pm

MoveYourFeet wrote:
go99 wrote:Water breaks are there to supplement bad parenting.  A kid that is properly hydrated before the game should be able to make it to the half.  And if you are dehydrated at the water break and taking on water at that point it is really too late.  But the reality is there is no way they can count on parents to make sure that their kid has been drinking not only regular fluids but extra to account for the additional activity.

There was a hydration study done years ago where they set up doctors to test the hydration levels of kids before their games. I wish I could find it again, but I can't seem to. From what I remember, well over half the kids were already at dehydrated levels going into their game. They were already at such a disadvantage going into their matches, and it was all because of their parent's ignorance.

And if my kid's team loses a competitive advantage over another team because safety is being administered, so be it. I'll take the health of these kids over competitive edge any day. And being that this is in an 03 forum, really?!?! These games mean very little. Come back to me when your kid is in college and tell me how important the grade school game results were.

I don't doubt the information you're posting in regard to the study. But hasn't "dehydrated" become the primary buzzword for all things athletic since around the year 2000? It's so generic. We used to call it "thirsty"... and would just get a drink of water to take care of the issue. Now, it's almost become recognized as a medical condition.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with giving the kids a water break in severe heat situations. If just takes a few minutes; about as long as an injury stoppage on average. It just wears me out to hear about the deadly risks of being "dehydrated". If the players drink before the game, at halftime, and then after the match... the human body is surely built to survive while missing a sip of H2O for 30-35 minutes during play.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by DKSC05 22/07/13, 01:31 pm

FYI for you drill sergeant mentality coaches before you end up with a kid with heat stroke during your practice session.

There are quite a few basic differences in the chemical makeup of children that make it harder for them to regulate body temperature than adults.

1. Children have more body surface area than body weight, so when the outside temperature is higher than body temperature, children tend to gain heat faster than adults. Don’t let their smaller size deceive you.

2.During exercise, children generate up to 20% to 25% more heat for their body weight than adults. Youngsters’ higher metabolic rates also contribute to the higher amounts of heat that kids can generate with exercise and activities.

3. Movements that are unrefined and inefficient produce more heat in kids than older athletes who have mastered their techniques and have more smooth movements.

4. The amount of blood pumped during exercise is less in children than adults, so there is less ability to move heat to the skin to give off heat.

5. Children have immature sweating mechanisms and also sweat less than adults, so they have less ability to get rid of heat by evaporation of sweat. They do not have as many sweat glands, and those sweat glands are not as efficient as adults. Getting sunburned also decreases the ability of the sweat glands to perform, so wearing sunscreen is a must (in addition to protecting their skin from premature aging and skin cancer).

6.Children adjust to the heat more slowly, so it will take longer for them to get used to summer temperatures and humidity than adults. This process of adaptation is called acclimatization.

7. Core body temperature in children rises higher and more quickly with dehydration, so it is even more important to provide drink breaks for young active children. The thirst drive in a child is not as good as an adult’s thirst drive, so taking frequent breaks to drink fluids should be mandatory.
DKSC05
DKSC05
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/07/13, 01:35 pm

rdwntx wrote:FYI for you drill sergeant mentality coaches before you end up with a kid with heat stroke during your practice session.

There are quite a few basic differences in the chemical makeup of children that make it harder for them to regulate body temperature than adults.

1. Children have more body surface area than body weight, so when the outside temperature is higher than body temperature, children tend to gain heat faster than adults. Don’t let their smaller size deceive you.

2.During exercise, children generate up to 20% to 25% more heat for their body weight than adults. Youngsters’ higher metabolic rates also contribute to the higher amounts   of heat that kids can generate with exercise and activities.

3. Movements that are unrefined and inefficient produce more heat in kids than older athletes who have mastered their techniques and have more smooth movements.

4. The amount of blood pumped during exercise is less in children than adults, so there is less ability to move heat to the skin to give off heat.

5. Children have immature sweating mechanisms and also sweat less than adults, so they have less ability to get rid of heat by evaporation of sweat. They do not have as many sweat glands, and those sweat glands are not as efficient as adults. Getting sunburned also decreases the ability of the sweat glands to perform, so wearing sunscreen is a must (in addition to protecting their skin from premature aging and skin cancer).

6.Children adjust to the heat more slowly, so it will take longer for them to get used to summer temperatures and humidity than adults. This process of adaptation is called acclimatization.

7. Core body temperature in children rises higher and more quickly with dehydration, so it is even more important to provide drink breaks for young active children. The thirst drive in a child is not as good as an adult’s thirst drive, so taking frequent breaks to drink fluids should be mandatory.

Sounds like someone that knows what they are talking about. Great post. Thank you

Back to top Go down

Post by txtransplant 22/07/13, 01:41 pm

JustaSport wrote:If the players drink before the game, at halftime, and then after the match... the human body is surely built to survive while missing a sip of H2O for 30-35 minutes during play.

This time last year, I found my DD's teammate in the bathroom at the practice fields, passed out and lying on the dirty bathroom floor. She'd vomited several times, had no color in her face and couldn't stand or walk on her own.

Come to find out she'd been out at the lake all day with one parent and hadn't drank anything aside from soda throughout the day. The few sips of water she had at the beginning of practice did nothing to help her at that point. Within 20 minutes of her being there, she collapsed. Her mother arrived at practice (her parents were divorced) just as we were carrying her out of the bathroom. She acted as if it was no big deal I'd just picked her daughter up off the floor.

These are the kind of parents the league is protecting these children from.
txtransplant
txtransplant
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 22/07/13, 01:43 pm

. wrote:
rdwntx wrote:FYI for you drill sergeant mentality coaches before you end up with a kid with heat stroke during your practice session.

2.During exercise, children generate up to 20% to 25% more heat for their body weight than adults. Youngsters’ higher metabolic rates also contribute to the higher amounts   of heat that kids can generate with exercise and activities.

Sounds like someone that knows what they are talking about.  Great post.  Thank you

Indeed. We need to start inserting IV's into all children just prior to games and teach them to dribble while wheeling around the drip bags. I'm amazed our kids don't die from dehydration when the front door is left open.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/07/13, 01:49 pm

Sorry justa but I don't take this topic as a very funny one. Not with some of the coaches we have running around NTX that have no knowledge or much less common sense to spot signs of trouble.

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 22/07/13, 01:53 pm

txtransplant wrote:
JustaSport wrote:If the players drink before the game, at halftime, and then after the match... the human body is surely built to survive while missing a sip of H2O for 30-35 minutes during play.

This time last year, I found my DD's teammate in the bathroom at the practice fields, passed out and lying on the dirty bathroom floor. She'd vomited several times, had no color in her face and couldn't stand or walk on her own.

Come to find out she'd been out at the lake all day with one parent and hadn't drank anything aside from soda throughout the day. The few sips of water she had at the beginning of practice did nothing to help her at that point. Within 20 minutes of her being there, she collapsed. Her mother arrived at practice (her parents were divorced) just as we were carrying her out of the bathroom. She acted as if it was no big deal I'd just picked her daughter up off the floor.

I don't understand the last statement. Are you suggesting that the water break in the middle of the game would have been the caveat for the girl you've described? The girl in your description was a victim of idiotic parenting. Like I said, I don't have a problem at all with water breaks during games. But the league's water breaks could not have helped the young girl... since she was at a practice, right?
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by txtransplant 22/07/13, 01:58 pm

But she has the same idiotic parents during games as well, right? And guess what... her father was once a coach. Probably the same kind of guy who once complained about water breaks creating a momentum shift during games.

The main reason I shared this scenario is because by your previous posts you seem to be taking a fairly cavalier attitude about dehydration and making it out to be "not that big of deal".
txtransplant
txtransplant
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by DKSC05 22/07/13, 02:02 pm

Justasport - Whether parents are negligent or ignorant is irrelevant. As a coach you are responsible for that player's welfare when they are at your practice or game.

JustaSport wrote:
txtransplant wrote:

I don't understand the last statement.  Are you suggesting that the water break in the middle of the game would have been the caveat for the girl you've described?  The girl in your description was a victim of idiotic parenting.  Like I said, I don't have a problem at all with water breaks during games.  But the league's water breaks could not have helped the young girl... since she was at a practice, right?
DKSC05
DKSC05
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TripDDs 22/07/13, 02:10 pm

Well, I changed my mind on the water issue and I am going to make my DDs play FIFA inside with one of those backpack water dispersment units attached to them at all times - no reason to go outside and risk exposure.....

TripDDs
TripDDs
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by sendit 22/07/13, 02:18 pm

Considering girls at this age have not mastered the art of flopping just to get a 1-2 minute injury break, the water break is a good balance to that. Not sure the break needs to turn into a sit down with coach as he gives a halftime speech though. Clock did not stop for our game for the water breaks.
sendit
sendit
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by loveofthegame 22/07/13, 02:20 pm

Really, it isn't about one extreme or the other here. Can't we all agree that health and safety of our kids should be paramount to a final score?

In response to the comment that was along the lines of "back in our day we just called it being thirsty", yes, fortunately science has stepped up their game and we are more aware of extreme conditions and their toll on young athletes.

Let's be honest, during "normal" temps and games, this isn't an issue, but this last weekend was brutal. It isn't about giving any one team an advantage or "stopping momentum". It's a game. Hard to enjoy a game when you are being carried off the field because you felt pressured to not show "weakness" by getting a drink when it was offered to you.
loveofthegame
loveofthegame
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 22/07/13, 02:22 pm

Water breaks were handled differently at Puma than I've seen elsewhere. Most tourneys let the players go to the sideline but not leave the field for there break. At Puma, they were several minutes long and allowed the players to leave the field and sit in the shade. I think they need breaks during summer tournaments, but keep the players on the field so as to keep disruptions to flow of the game to a minimum.
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 22/07/13, 02:28 pm

rdwntx wrote:Justasport - Whether parents are negligent or ignorant is irrelevant. As a coach you are responsible for that player's welfare when they are at your practice or game.

JustaSport wrote:
txtransplant wrote:

I don't understand the last statement.  Are you suggesting that the water break in the middle of the game would have been the caveat for the girl you've described?  The girl in your description was a victim of idiotic parenting.  Like I said, I don't have a problem at all with water breaks during games.  But the league's water breaks could not have helped the young girl... since she was at a practice, right?

Which is why I mandate that girls go to the restroom in pairs... unlike the previous poster's coach who had no idea his player was lying on the "dirty bathroom floor" until the parent walked in and found her.

JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/07/13, 02:29 pm

All of you people with this "flow of the game" stuff crack me up. This is 03 soccer, there is no "flow" to the game. As much as the parents like to think their kids play at an expert level, it is all pretty ugly to watch when compared to real soccer. There is a lot of booting the ball, a lot of chasing, a lot of slow movement and a lot of uncoordinated people trying to do something their bodies are not used to doing. That is all ok, as that is why they are practicing and working on these things. But lets not get carried away, there is no reason to insist the "flow" of the game is disturbed by a water break. That is pure comedy.

Give the kids a water break and lets keep them safe. This is supposed to be for fun. If you want them to "toughen up" have them join the military when they get out of high school.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/07/13, 02:31 pm

RunsLikeWind wrote:All of you people with this "flow of the game" stuff crack me up.  This is 03 soccer, there is no "flow" to the game.  As much as the parents like to think their kids play at an expert level, it is all pretty ugly to watch when compared to real soccer.  There is a lot of booting the ball, a lot of chasing, a lot of slow movement and a lot of uncoordinated people trying to do something their bodies are not used to doing.  That is all ok, as that is why they are practicing and working on these things.  But lets not get carried away, there is no reason to insist the "flow" of the game is disturbed by a water break.  That is pure comedy.  

Give the kids a water break and lets keep them safe.  This is supposed to be for fun.  If you want them to "toughen up" have them join the military when they get out of high school.

cheers cheers cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by PLAY2FEET!! 22/07/13, 02:41 pm

soccerdad1969 wrote:Water breaks were handled differently at Puma than I've seen elsewhere. Most tourneys let the players go to the sideline but not leave the field for there break. At Puma, they were several minutes long and allowed the players to leave the field and sit in the shade. I think they need breaks during summer tournaments, but keep the players on the field so as to keep disruptions to flow of the game to a minimum.
Maybe Puma Cup was not cancelled. Just an extended waterbreak.

PLAY2FEET!!
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by axlefoley 22/07/13, 02:54 pm

silentparent wrote:
RunsLikeWind wrote:All of you people with this "flow of the game" stuff crack me up.  This is 03 soccer, there is no "flow" to the game.  As much as the parents like to think their kids play at an expert level, it is all pretty ugly to watch when compared to real soccer.  There is a lot of booting the ball, a lot of chasing, a lot of slow movement and a lot of uncoordinated people trying to do something their bodies are not used to doing.  That is all ok, as that is why they are practicing and working on these things.  But lets not get carried away, there is no reason to insist the "flow" of the game is disturbed by a water break.  That is pure comedy.  

Give the kids a water break and lets keep them safe.  This is supposed to be for fun.  If you want them to "toughen up" have them join the military when they get out of high school.

Rollin on the floor, Rollin on the floor....i love it..lol! bounce cheers 

cheers cheers cheers 
axlefoley
axlefoley
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MoveYourFeet 22/07/13, 04:26 pm

axlefoley wrote:
Rollin on the floor, Rollin on the floor....i love it..lol! bounce cheers 

cheers cheers cheers 

MoveYourFeet
MoveYourFeet
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by EPL Fan 25/07/13, 04:43 am

flounder wrote:Water Breaks may be the worst thing for soccer.  I get it if the kids are playing in 100+ weather and you can see they are about to pass out.  Under 100 degrees it totally ruins the momentum of the game.  Part of the game is fitness of the team and substitution management.  Stopage of play totally ruins it.    Back in the day you just sub out of your were out of wind or need water.

If you thought these water breaks were bad, I would advise you to stay away from the Boy Classic League Qualifying Tournament next weekend.

From the rules, hopefully a misprint:

There will be a 5 minute water break during each half in every game. The clock will NOT stop.
EPL Fan
EPL Fan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 25/07/13, 08:11 am

Parents, and fellow posters, sorry but I am getting up to the pulpet.  It only takes one child collapsing and dying from heat stroke to make the mandatory water break understandable. Not all players hydrate themselves well every day. If they haven't done so, by the time they reach the game field they are already at risk. They are playing in a deficit mode, but at least they can stay somewhat even if they are given extra water breaks. If a child has a known (or unknown) problem such as asthma, diabetes, heart problems, dehydration makes them extremely vulnerable to extreme complications due to heat stress or stroke.

For those who want to pull out the "back in the day" card, there were a lot of things we did back in the day that we now know are not safe. Back in my day, we lost a great football player who had an undetected heart valve problem. The team had only been on the field for half an hour in pads on a day where the temperature at 10 a.m. was 95 degrees. The humidity was high and this young man collapsed and died on the field. We found out that he died of a stroke brought on by dehydration and excessive heat.

Have you not read all the stories over the past few years of young athletes dying from heat and dehydration problems? That is why the mandatory water breaks are there.

I would far rather "slow the flow" of a game (regardless of age) and save a life than press on and lose a lovely player. Would any of you truly want to risk your daughter's life?

On a side note, I agree with Runslikewind on the flow of an 03 game.

Sorry, don't mean to be preachy, but flow of the game doesn't even compare in my mind to the life of a child.
InaB
InaB
Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by textigerfan 25/07/13, 08:22 am

InaB, I am with you. I am hoping that most of the people that have continued complaining so much about water breaks and Puma Cup cancellation are new to this. If not, then they should be seasoned enough and know better. It is alright to dislike and voice an opinion. But to carry on so much over youth soccer is a bit extreme.
textigerfan
textigerfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25/07/13, 08:29 am

"I would far rather "slow the flow" of a game (regardless of age) and save a life than press on and lose a lovely player. Would any of you truly want to risk your daughter's life?"

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

you can stick the "flow" up the wazoo....

Back to top Go down

Post by Slakemoth 25/07/13, 08:38 am

I always felt water breaks were a necessity for the referee crews too. We forget that that they are working game after game in the heat. Typically as a tournament progresses the games will get off schedule, which shortens the referees "recovery" gap between games, and time to rest and get some water back in their system. I will never forget how scary it was seeing a linesman go down hard during a QT many years ago.

Don't be afraid to hand a bottle of cold water to your linesman during your match. They will appreciate it.
Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next