North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
2010G Renegades GCL ELITE14/05/24, 06:56 pmNickicharriere
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:31 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:01 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:55 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:50 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:45 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:40 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:29 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:24 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:19 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:12 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:07 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:02 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:56 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:51 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:46 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:30 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:25 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:19 pmsbarton12
Evolution 2011 Boys Classic League D1 Tryouts09/05/24, 02:21 pmCoach Stuart
EVOLUTION 15B MCGREGOR09/05/24, 02:06 pmLewis McGregor

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

PPL D1 Teams 2013/2014 - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205203 messages in 31989 subjects

PPL D1 Teams 2013/2014

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PPL D1 Teams 2013/2014 - Page 2 Empty Re: PPL D1 Teams 2013/2014

Post by Guest 06/08/13, 09:23 am

What is a BLACK HORSE? :)I have heard of BLACK SHEEP though if that is what you meant?

Back to top Go down

Post by axlefoley 06/08/13, 09:53 am

survivor01 wrote:
survivor01 wrote:This horse may be beaten but it ain't dead yet.  Wink

D1 Bye's

1.  Fusion
2.  Liverpool
3.  Infinity
4.  Odyssey
5.  Texans White
6.  Solar Chelsey Navy

Folded Teams that had D1 Bye's

FCD South
Kicks East
Solar Chelsey Gold

Will they give these Bye's to

AFC Red
Sting O'Keefe
AFC White (D2 Winners)
TFC White/Andro Blue (D2 2nd place)

OR will they go down the D1 line and give Bye's after the two LH teams get Bye's?

Seems to me that due to the fact that 3 D1 Bye teams folded and 1 D2 Bye team folded, that BOTH D1 and D2 divisions are open for QT competition.  I do think that the top 4 D2 teams could handle many of the bottom D1 teams easily (some have in summer tournaments).  I like the restructure of PPL but I am in agreement that some teams may get lost in the collective shuffle.

Soccer experts, please advise.  I usually miss something in translation so please be kind.  Just trying to sort it out in my mind.

Ummmm bigpapa, quoting myself above in red print.  I said that that the TOP 4 D2 teams could handle many of the bottom D1 teams easily (and some have) which is why I was wondering if any of the top D2 teams would get an opportunity to compete for PPL D1 because there were so many BYE's yet to be determined.  Razz
aren't the Texan's White gone? they moved to LH D3, because they were so good last year, they got the automatic promotion and didn't even have to go through QT's.

axlefoley
axlefoley
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by longhorns24 06/08/13, 10:06 am

Axle foley - you are correct on Texans moving to D3 without QT thanks to a rule that doesn't make a team prove themselves first.

On another note what's word on Solar Navy? I thought they made roster but I'm not or sure and if they are, are they n+1?

I can only see the first 4 teams listed as locks for d1. AFC red and Sting should be there with a bye IMO even if they didn't meet n+1 if they choose Plano. So 6 teams. 4 others are complete toss ups. Let the placement tournament decide those 4 spots!
longhorns24
longhorns24
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Thermonuclear 06/08/13, 04:33 pm

Texans White did not get a promotion or move to D3 Lake Highlands. It doesn't work that way. Texans Red earned the bye and Texans Red will be playing in Lake Highlands. True - many of the Texans White girls made the Red team during the Texans two week long try-outs but there are a substantial number of girls on the Red team who weren't on White last year. And, some of the girls from Red followed Glotz to the Red North Team with the D2 bye. But, as I hear it, there was movement on all the Texans teams this year.

I heard that there is still an 01 White team but don't know where they will be playing next year - they would not qualify for the PPL bye.
Thermonuclear
Thermonuclear
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by survivor01 06/08/13, 05:10 pm

Ok so with all the recent insight it seems as though there are enough uncertainties to justify a D1 QT.

Facts (I think) on current status of D1:

1.  Fusion - bye
2.  Liverpool - bye
3.  Infinity - bye
4.  Odyssey - bye
5.  Solar Navy (if N+1) - bye
6.  AFC Red - discriminatory bye
7.  AFC White - bye by default for winning D2
8.  ? Could be Andro Blue discriminatory bye
9.  ?
10. ?

With that scenario, it's possible that there could possibly be up to 5 open spots (if byes are not given) which IMO are far too many for PPL to simply "bye out" without giving some strong D2 teams an opportunity to prove their worth in competing for a D1 spot as well as weed out some of the weaker D1 bottom teams.  No offense to anyone at all....just saying as has been well documented on this forum, 19 D1 teams were extremely diluted which I'm guessing is why they were reformatting in the first place.  Additionally, the D1 teams that didn't get D2 byes would certainly like an opportunity to try to qualify as well rather than being booted to D2 because of the reformat.   But what do I know?  I would just like to see PPL let the teams play it out and earn those ? spots.  scratch

Please advise....if I'm off on this, please point out my misunderstanding.bounce
survivor01
survivor01
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

PPL D1 Teams 2013/2014 - Page 2 Empty Okay another post

Post by Marvelousmar 06/08/13, 05:41 pm

survivor01 wrote:Ok so with all the recent insight it seems as though there are enough uncertainties to justify a D1 QT.

1.  Fusion - bye
2.  Liverpool - bye
3.  Infinity - bye
4.  Odyssey - bye
9.  ?
10. ?

With that scenario, it's possible that there could possibly be up to 5 open spots (if byes are not given) which IMO are far too many for PPL to simply "bye out" without giving some strong D2 teams an opportunity to prove their worth in competing for a D1 spot as well as weed out some of the weaker D1 bottom teams.  No offense to anyone at all....just saying as has been well documented on this forum, 19 D1 teams were extremely diluted which I'm guessing is why they were reformatting in the first place.  Additionally, the D1 teams that didn't get D2 byes would certainly like an opportunity to try to qualify as well rather than being booted to D2 because of the reformat.   But what do I know?  I would just like to see PPL let the teams play it out and earn those ? spots.  scratch

Please advise....if I'm off on this, please point out my misunderstanding.bounce

I must have said last post for the day.  My bad.  Survivor you just make too much sense so it won't happen.  I guess if we go with above with the "discriminatory bye"  There would be two spots for D1 if no more byes were given.  How would those spots be decided with assume about 24-28 teams (in brackets of no more then 4) playing?  Then I guess it would come to highest two points and then tie-breakers motivation for teams to score as much and defend as well. I think somehow those that had D II byes that PYSA think fit to move up should be able to be moved up without playing since they most likley had not planned to play next weekend.  Now if the N+1 removes a team there might be 3 spots up for grab and leads to an interesting fight for the final three spots.  

Till next Tuesday when the speculation turns into reality and the following Sunday when hope turns into flames.

BTW that new D1 looks pretty strong.
Marvelousmar
Marvelousmar
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 01GirlsOnly 06/08/13, 05:44 pm

Well D2 PPL is now the same thing as being in the bottom half of D1 last year. Everything is just moved down. LHGCL does the same thing after U11 but they only have three Divisions - during U11, they only have two Divisions because D1 has twice as many teams.

As for the byes, I agree, they should go to the PT after fomer LHGCL teams meeting the N+1 criteria have been added. They should not give out any discretionary byes - they will make more money, so maybe they will include the open spots in the PT rather than handing out discretionary byes - guess it just depends on whether PT fees are profitable vs cost????
01GirlsOnly
01GirlsOnly
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 06/08/13, 06:08 pm

survivor01 wrote:Ok so with all the recent insight it seems as though there are enough uncertainties to justify a D1 QT.

1.  Fusion - bye
2.  Liverpool - bye
3.  Infinity - bye
4.  Odyssey - bye
9.  ?
10. ?

While your placements might make sense, the methodology PYSA has chosen to go with is fairly straight forward: http://www.pysa.org/UserFiles/files/Competitive/PPL/PPL%20F13S14%20Playing%20Format_2013.pdf

I read nothing in the above about discretionary byes for PPL D1; only D2.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by survivor01 06/08/13, 06:24 pm

JustaSport wrote:

1.  Fusion - bye
2.  Liverpool - bye
3.  Infinity - bye
4.  Odyssey - bye
9.  ?
10. ?

While your placements might make sense, the methodology PYSA has chosen to go with is fairly straight forward:  http://www.pysa.org/UserFiles/files/Competitive/PPL/PPL%20F13S14%20Playing%20Format_2013.pdf

I read nothing in the above about discretionary byes for PPL D1; only D2.

So with no discretionary byes for PPL D1, I continue to make my point in that there should be a QT for D1.  I was just making assumptions without combing the rules.  

Thanks for the logic and sense nods, unfortunately, I agree that logic and sense may not prevail.  It all comes down to $ as 01girlsonly so well pointed out.  How much will they charge for 24-28 teams to play for three to five spots?  $600/team?  I would think the PPL admins would jump on that if that is truly their goal, to make money.  All the teams that think they have a chance would certainly pay.  Just saying...it's always about the bottom line.

As Marv said, we will find out on Tuesday on how PPL decides to go with this and I agree with him, D1 PPL may be wicked and the ones who qualify by whatever means have a hard road ahead.

Peace out!cheers
survivor01
survivor01
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

PPL D1 Teams 2013/2014 - Page 2 Empty I got an Idea

Post by Marvelousmar 07/08/13, 08:04 am

How about this. PPL and Board let me know what you think.
Since it appears that there will be a lot of open spots and no real way of allocating. During QT you ask the teams if you would like to try-out for Division 1 or Division 2. If you try out for Division 1 and fail to make it unless the play on the field indicates (based on PPL's discretion) the highest you can get into is Division 3 or there is a play in game. I know there is some subjectivity here but it will make the coaches really think hard about what level they think they would like to try out for. The decision could be made after looking at the list of teams that will be playing in division 1. So lets say there are 4 spots available after byes and N+1's for Division 1.
In my Play in game example 8 teams indicate the desire to try out for that division and 20 teams want to try out for division 2. The 4 teams that didn't make it and the last four qualifiers have a 1 game play in game. Winner gets division 2 loser goes to division 3. It gets settled on the field and should favour the team that tried out for Division 2 since theoretically the games should not have been as challenging. This method reduces some of the subjectivity leaves it to coaches to really evaluate their team and adds to the risk and reward of the PT. Dang I think this is a good idea and only adds 1 more game in theory. PPL limits it to 8 teams trying out and can base it on their ranking of the teams. If you think a team is in the 8 that you can beat you challenge them before the event to a duel. ( I just added that part not enough time to add a challenge game)

Or maybe you set the tourney up for the 24-28 teams as they do in prime time. And based on your results you either move into the Division 1 championship bracket or the consolation bracket. Lots of different ways to do this but the best way is to create some way that it is solved on the field based on players that exist on the teams today not based on past years as we are trying to get the levels appropriately developed.

Marvelousmar
Marvelousmar
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpapa89 07/08/13, 09:52 am

I honestly think that everyone in ppl should have to requalify because there is typically so much movement at this level. Lets just be honest 1,2 or 3 solid players can change a whole team. You gain more, or lose the quaility players then you lose the ability to compete with other PPL teams. But with anything that being said, any decision that is made not everyone will like it. I just hope they come up with a solid solution.

bigpapa89
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/08/13, 10:03 am

Marvelousmar wrote:How about this.  PPL and Board let me know what you think.  
Since it appears that there will be a lot of open spots and no real way of allocating.  During QT you ask the teams if you would like to try-out for Division 1 or Division 2.  If you try out for Division 1 and fail to make it unless the play on the field indicates (based on PPL's discretion) the highest you can get into is Division 3 or there is a play in game.  I know there is some subjectivity here but it will make the coaches really think hard about what level they think they would like to try out for.  The decision could be made after looking at the list of teams that will be playing in division 1.  So lets say there are 4 spots available after byes and N+1's for Division 1.  
In my Play in game example 8 teams indicate the desire to try out for that division and 20 teams want to try out for division 2.  The 4 teams that didn't make it and the last four qualifiers have a 1 game play in game.  Winner gets division 2 loser goes to division 3.  It gets settled on the field and should favour the team that tried out for Division 2 since theoretically the games should not have been as challenging.  This method reduces some of the subjectivity leaves it to coaches to really evaluate their team and adds to the risk and reward of the PT.  Dang I think this is a good idea and only adds 1 more game in theory.  PPL limits it to 8 teams trying out and can base it on their ranking of the teams.  If you think a team is in the 8 that you can beat you challenge them before the event to a duel.  ( I just added that part not enough time to add a challenge game)  

Or maybe you set the tourney up for the 24-28 teams as they do in prime time.  And based on your results you either move into the Division 1 championship bracket or the consolation bracket.    Lots of different ways to do this but the best way is to create some way that it is solved on the field based on players that exist on the teams today not based on past years as we are trying to get the levels appropriately developed.

I don't know what you're all trying to accomplish here.  Should they have qualifier for ALL teams to be placed in respective divisions each year, that would probably be best.  But they won't because of field availability, time, effort, etc. and because of how lazy they and complacent they are with what they already have.

PPL isn't going to listen to anything outside their office.  They're going to follow the rules for the teams that qualify and will fill in the gaps with whatever they like.  Unless you're one of their "favorites", then don't expect anything special to happen for you or for any rule exceptions based on your suggestions or comments-especially from this forum.  

So maybe you and the others that mentioned it should follow through with your bribery technique to make them fat and happy with you so they'll give you what you want.  It's worked in the past for others.  

What a great system we have!

Back to top Go down

Post by 01GirlsOnly 07/08/13, 09:16 pm

As much as I hate to side with the man, and I hate to side with the man, PPL has a pretty fair set up the way it is. They require teams to have more than 50% of their players from the team that earned the bye and that's more than Classic does.

And, remember for the rest, this is a Placement Tournament unlike Classic which truly is a Qualifying Tournament. Only 30 teams get into LHGCL - PPL takes as many meeting the minimum standards as are willing to pay the fee - the Placement Tournament just determines where they fall in the continuum below the paying customers who earned their byes last year...

01GirlsOnly
01GirlsOnly
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by zerocool 07/08/13, 09:51 pm

I wonder how many teams don't meet the N+1. If they went by the book, who knows, D2/D3 might be the division you want to be in! Therefore, they probably will use discretion.
zerocool
zerocool
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/08/13, 07:48 am

01GirlsOnly wrote:As much as I hate to side with the man, and I hate to side with the man, PPL has a pretty fair set up the way it is.  They require teams to have more than 50% of their players from the team that earned the bye and that's more than Classic does.  

And, remember for the rest, this is a Placement Tournament unlike Classic which truly is a Qualifying Tournament. Only 30 teams get into LHGCL - PPL takes as many meeting the minimum standards as are willing to pay the fee - the Placement Tournament just determines where they fall in the continuum below the paying customers who earned their byes last year...

Only if they stick to the rule, and I highly doubt they will. If they do stick to it, there will be even fewer teams not eligible for byes then there already are and BOTH their D1 & D2 divisions will end up overly diverse and unbalanced. Which makes for a very disappointing and frustrating season for teams at both ends of the spectrum.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpapa89 08/08/13, 07:55 am

I totally agree! I know a few rosters that have totally changed, but the teams are all better because of it! I know my squad doesn't have n+1 but I'm much happier with the squad I have this year compared to last year! Qt will be interesting! Several teams haven't played what so ever so either they surprise people or will they be rusty? Maybe a bit of both? All I know that that I'm ready for qt to start! Smile going to be some fun!

bigpapa89
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by 01GirlsOnly 08/08/13, 08:12 am

me?obsessed? wrote:
01GirlsOnly wrote:As much as I hate to side with the man, and I hate to side with the man, PPL has a pretty fair set up the way it is.  They require teams to have more than 50% of their players from the team that earned the bye and that's more than Classic does.  

Only if they stick to the rule, and I highly doubt they will.  If they do stick to it, there will be even fewer teams not eligible for byes then there already are and BOTH their D1 & D2 divisions will end up overly diverse and unbalanced.  Which makes for a very disappointing and frustrating season for teams at both ends of the spectrum.
But, if you don't earn a bye for next year, then what are you playing for?  No reward for wining or high placement, longevity, incentive to hold your team together.  Certainly, they lose some of the exciitwment not having teams duke it out for say the bottom 4 or spots in D1. Perhaps they should give fewer byes and maybe they will.  But, if they don't and your team doesn't like it - then what ? All the folks complaining in hear say LHGCL Committee stinks but they all want in and if they don't get in, they all want PPL D1 as a consolation.  If you think they both are so horrible, you could drive to Arlngton I guess?

One thing is for sure - there is absolutely nothing LHGCL or PPL could do to escape the complaints on this blog - I guess that's just the nature of blogs, no matter the choice by leadership, it will always create the have nots who will complain.

Personally, I am for fewer byes in a bigger league with a playoff tournament at the end - woohoo...
01GirlsOnly
01GirlsOnly
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by OrangeBlooded 08/08/13, 08:48 am

01GirlsOnly wrote:
me?obsessed? wrote:

Only if they stick to the rule, and I highly doubt they will.  If they do stick to it, there will be even fewer teams not eligible for byes then there already are and BOTH their D1 & D2 divisions will end up overly diverse and unbalanced.  Which makes for a very disappointing and frustrating season for teams at both ends of the spectrum.
But, if you don't earn a bye for next year, then what are you playing for?  No reward for wining or high placement, longevity, incentive to hold your team together.  Certainly, they lose some of the exciitwment not having teams duke it out for say the bottom 4 or spots in D1. Perhaps they should give fewer byes and maybe they will.  But, if they don't and your team doesn't like it - then what ? All the folks complaining in hear say LHGCL Committee stinks but they all want in and if they don't get in, they all want PPL D1 as a consolation.  If you think they both are so horrible, you could drive to Arlngton I guess?

One thing is for sure - there is absolutely nothing LHGCL or PPL could do to escape the complaints on this blog - I guess that's just the nature of blogs, no matter the choice by leadership, it will always create the have nots who will complain.

Personally, I am for fewer byes in a bigger league with a playoff tournament at the end - woohoo...
Don't think he ever said there shouldn't be any byes.  If you go back and look at his posts, he just repeats that  PPL doesn't follow their own guidelines and make decisions contrary to them as they see fit.  

Personally, I don't have a problem with byes in leagues, but I think them awarding all 10 D1 spots byes based on prior year results is a bit ridiculous for that league.  My reason for that?  You pointed it out in your post.  Everyone wants to be in LHGCL - that means players want the security of being on a team in that league, or at least on one that will be competitive to qualify for one.  Which means middle-to-weaker teams will ALWAYS lose their better players EVERY year to those teams that have that opportunity.  On the flip side, coaches and clubs want the same thing . . . to be in LHGCL.  Many of them see no difference between being in Plano D1 or D2.  So they will do whatever they need to regarding their roster to make sure they have the best players & chemistry possible to give them the very best opportunity to qualify.  And if they don't then who cares at that point - they didn't accomplish their primary preseason goal and will have to wait another year to try again.  In other words, their thinking about LHGCL qualification first and will deal with the rest as it happens (partially because they know PPL won't stick to their own rules/policies?).

The problem with LHGCL isn't the rules for promotion, relegation, or EXISTING teams keeping their byes . . . their problem is how they regulate (or lack to regulate) clubs keeping their byes when teams fold and the spot is vacated.  The problem with PPL & APL is they will ALWAYS take a back seat to coaches, players, and parents wanting to be in LHGCL.  So any guidelines they make to try and regulate turnover will be for nothing, and they will have to make exceptions.  It basically becomes like a REC league where you can form your own roster.

So long story short, PPL/APL will always be in a no-win situation . . . damned if they do or damned if they don't.

Last edited by OrangeBlooded on 08/08/13, 10:57 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpapa89 08/08/13, 08:55 am

bigpapa89
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by 01GirlsOnly 08/08/13, 10:25 am

OrangeBlooded wrote:
01GirlsOnly wrote:
me?obsessed? wrote:

Don't think he ever said there shouldn't be any byes.  If you go back and look at his posts, he just repeats that  PPL doesn't follow their own rules and make decisions contrary to them as they see fit.  

Personally, I don't have a problem with byes in leagues, but I think them awarding all 10 D1 spots byes based on prior year results is a bit ridiculous for that league.  My reason for that?  You pointed it out in your post.  Everyone wants to be in LHGCL - that means players want the security of being on a team in that league, or at least on one that will be competitive to qualify for one.  Which means middle-to-weaker teams will ALWAYS lose their better players EVERY year to those teams that have that opportunity.  On the flip side, coaches and clubs want the same thing . . . to be in LHGCL.  Many of them see no difference between being in Plano D1 or D2.  So they will do whatever they need to regarding their roster to make sure they have the best players & chemistry possible to give them the very best opportunity to qualify.  And if they don't then who cares at that point - they didn't accomplish their primary preseason goal and will have to wait another year to try again.  In other words, their thinking about LHGCL qualification first and will deal with the rest as it happens (partially because they know PPL won't stick to their own rules/policies?).

The problem with LHGCL isn't the rules for promotion, relegation, or EXISTING teams keeping their byes . . . their problem is how they regulate (or lack to regulate) clubs keeping their byes when teams fold and the spot is vacated.  The problem with PPL & APL is they will ALWAYS take a back seat to coaches, players, and parents wanting to be in LHGCL.  So any rules they make to try and regulate turnover will be for nothing, and they will have to make exceptions.  It basically becomes like a REC league where you can form your own roster.

So long story short, PPL/APL will always be in a no-win situation . . . damned if they do or damned if they don't.
One of the biggest problems is everyone on here talking about PPL not following their own rules and policies when they don't really know what those policies and rules say, how they work together, and are genreally unfamiliar with the difference between, policy, rule and guidline.  If you look at the actual Rules, it makes clear that the league has discretion in how and whether to even offer a bye.  Nothing in the Rules says they must give a bye to anyone and the applicable Rule leaves it to the Committee to determine each year how the byes, if any, will be handed out. Then, in the playing format document for the league year, they set out how they intend to grant byes in general, but since the actual Rules grant the Committee complete discretion with regard to granting the byes or not, they are free to change their approach as they see fit.  So, if they make tweaks that they see the value in, you can complain about their judgement, take your ball and go play for another leagure, but you cannot say they aren't following their rules because that simply isn't true.

Moreover, the only ones who really have any standing to complain about rules are those who beccome voting members in the League - if really want change and you care enough to do that, then you complain the right way, according to the Rules.  The actual Rules provide for voting members to propose changes to the General or Playing Rules at any Board or General Membership meeting.  The folks who complain about LH and don't get in and then complain about PPL's decsion on how they will place those on the rebound really have no basis to whine becasue they didn't care enough to do anything about the perceived inequities when they could have, by joining and presenting a proposed change at any Board or General Membership meeting. Or, better yet, volunteer and be a Committee member.  

As for the reference to the byes, I did not say big papa was advocating no byes - I was agreeing that it makes it more interesting to have some places up for grabs - just pointing out that when you change the format, the ones displaced by the change will be raising hell saying the league doesn't follow their own rules, and they, just like everyone else saying that, won't know what they are talking about.  If the Committee announces today, that there will be no byes and all placements will be determined by PT, they would be completely within the authority granted to them by the RULES.
01GirlsOnly
01GirlsOnly
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by OrangeBlooded 08/08/13, 10:55 am

01GirlsOnly wrote:
OrangeBlooded wrote:
01GirlsOnly wrote:
me?obsessed? wrote:

Don't think he ever said there shouldn't be any byes.  If you go back and look at his posts, he just repeats that  PPL doesn't follow their own rules and make decisions contrary to them as they see fit.  

The problem with LHGCL isn't the rules for promotion, relegation, or EXISTING teams keeping their byes . . . their problem is how they regulate (or lack to regulate) clubs keeping their byes when teams fold and the spot is vacated.  The problem with PPL & APL is they will ALWAYS take a back seat to coaches, players, and parents wanting to be in LHGCL.  So any rules they make to try and regulate turnover will be for nothing, and they will have to make exceptions.  It basically becomes like a REC league where you can form your own roster.

One of the biggest problems is everyone on here talking about PPL not following their own rules and policies when they don't really know what those policies and rules say, how they work together, and are genreally unfamiliar with the difference between, policy, rule and guidline.  If you look at the actual Rules, it makes clear that the league has discretion in how and whether to even offer a bye.  Nothing in the Rules says they must give a bye to anyone and the applicable Rule leaves it to the Committee to determine each year how the byes, if any, will be handed out. Then, in the playing format document for the league year, they set out how they intend to grant byes in general, but since the actual Rules grant the Committee complete discretion with regard to granting the byes or not, they are free to change their approach as they see fit.  So, if they make tweaks that they see the value in, you can complain about their judgement, take your ball and go play for another leagure, but you cannot say they aren't following their rules because that simply isn't true.

Moreover, the only ones who really have any standing to complain about rules are those who beccome voting members in the League - if really want change and you care enough to do that, then you complain the right way, according to the Rules.  The actual Rules provide for voting members to propose changes to the General or Playing Rules at any Board or General Membership meeting.  The folks who complain about LH and don't get in and then complain about PPL's decsion on how they will place those on the rebound really have no basis to whine becasue they didn't care enough to do anything about the perceived inequities when they could have, by joining and presenting a proposed change at any Board or General Membership meeting. Or, better yet, volunteer and be a Committee member.  

As for the reference to the byes, I did not say big papa was advocating no byes (you were quoting meobsessed on that, not big papa) - I was agreeing that it makes it more interesting to have some places up for grabs - just pointing out that when you change the format, the ones displaced by the change will be raising hell saying the league doesn't follow their own rules, and they, just like everyone else saying that, won't know what they are talking about.  If the Committee announces today, that there will be no byes and all placements will be determined by PT, they would be completely within the authority granted to them by the RULES.
I think we're saying the same thing here. I just should have used the words "guidelines" instead of "rules". Would clarify the context.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/08/13, 11:07 am

OrangeBlooded wrote:
01GirlsOnly wrote:
OrangeBlooded wrote:
01GirlsOnly wrote:
me?obsessed? wrote:

As for the reference to the byes, I did not say big papa was advocating no byes (you were quoting meobsessed on that, not big papa) - I was agreeing that it makes it more interesting to have some places up for grabs - just pointing out that when you change the format, the ones displaced by the change will be raising hell saying the league doesn't follow their own rules, and they, just like everyone else saying that, won't know what they are talking about.  If the Committee announces today, that there will be no byes and all placements will be determined by PT, they would be completely within the authority granted to them by the RULES.
I think we're saying the same thing here.  I just should have used the words "guidelines" instead of "rules".  Would clarify the context.
Sorry - PPL doesn't follow their GUIDELINES.  Rolling Eyes   What do you care about this anyway OB?  Doesn't your DD play LHGCL now?

And don't worry OB, he missed the entire point of your post-which was that no one cares about PPL rec league until they get stuck in it.  lol! 

It really doesn't matter.  PPL always does whatever they want-just depends who's kissing their burro the most at the time (which right now is looking like 01GirlsOnly Twisted Evil ).  So I guess the next question is, why even have the guidelines if they're just going to go off their own discretion anyway?  Might as well just offer byes to teams when placement schedules come out since it will never be consistent with what they publish before hand and they don't justify what discretion was used anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/08/13, 11:13 am

me?obsessed? wrote:
It really doesn't matter.  PPL always does whatever they want-just depends who's kissing their burro the most at the time.
HEY!  I typed A S S - not "burro"!  Got me on that one a-d-m-i-n !

Back to top Go down

Post by 01GirlsOnly 08/08/13, 12:47 pm

OrangeBlooded wrote:
01GirlsOnly wrote:
OrangeBlooded wrote:
01GirlsOnly wrote:
me?obsessed? wrote:

I think we're saying the same thing here.  I just should have used the words "guidelines" instead of "rules".  Would clarify the context.
Pretty much the same thing - the Leagues will do what they will - my DD is in LHGCL now so I'm not so concerned about PPL any more but the complaints re the Committee's of both leagues is pretty uniform and illustrates that no matter how many byes, playing format what have you, those negatively impacted are only going to have enough energy to cry about it on here rather than really doing somehting about it.  It has now gone so far that everyone is saying PPL has violated their rules before they have even done anything - just ironically ridiculous no win situation for the leagues - yes, if I were king I would do it better, but we found our way to Classic without expending that much energy....

As for quoting big papa - I wasn't quoting just commenting - he said his dd's team didn't meet N+1 but that they had rolled their roster over and were a better team and they should get some special consideration and oppotutntiy while others complain that LH allows a team staying with the same club to keep their bye regardless of whose on the roster.  Point being - you can't make a decsion that won't be criticzied.

bounce 

Last edited by 01GirlsOnly on 08/08/13, 03:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
01GirlsOnly
01GirlsOnly
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 08/08/13, 12:52 pm

01GirlsOnly wrote:
OrangeBlooded wrote:
01GirlsOnly wrote:
me?obsessed? wrote:

As for the reference to the byes, I did not say big papa was advocating no byes - I was agreeing that it makes it more interesting to have some places up for grabs - just pointing out that when you change the format, the ones displaced by the change will be raising hell saying the league doesn't follow their own rules, and they, just like everyone else saying that, won't know what they are talking about.  If the Committee announces today, that there will be no byes and all placements will be determined by PT, they would be completely within the authority granted to them by the RULES.
Your statements in red above are how I understand it, as well. I was specifically trying to figure out the situation for AFC White and Andromeda Blue (prev. TFC White). The general "understanding" before was that as top two finishers in PPL D2 last year, they would be moved up to D1. But now the setup has changed, and they will be back in D2... which is the new D2 that is actually the bottom half of the old D1. I'm starting to get a headache. It would be great to see these two teams land in the upcoming true D1 since it is up to the discretion of PYSA and the teams earned it, but I'm not holding my breath. Were I the manager or coach of either of these teams, I would sure be making my case with the league given that the "rules" changed between one season and the next.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/08/13, 12:55 pm

Cool 

Last edited by me?obsessed? on 08/08/13, 03:28 pm; edited 4 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content