North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Keeper Contact Question Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Keeper Contact Question

Go down

Keeper Contact Question Empty Keeper Contact Question

Post by TXSoccerMom2202 30/09/13, 09:40 am

What are the U12 rules regarding contact with the keeper? If the keeper has control of the ball on the ground, can an opposing player kick it out of his/her hands? Is physical contact with the keeper allowed once she has control of the ball?

It has been my understanding that the GK cannot be tackled or otherwise challenged while holding the ball but I'm finding that not much is being done when it happens. I'm getting tired of watching my DD kicked around when she's down on the ground with control of the ball.

I emailed PPL for clarification but the email address doesn't work, of course...

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Keeper Contact Question Empty Re: Keeper Contact Question

Post by Gunner9 30/09/13, 09:58 am

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball:
• while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any surface
(e.g. ground, own body)
• while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand
• while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air
When a goalkeeper has gained possession of the ball with his hands, he cannot
be challenged by an opponent.

TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by time2win 30/09/13, 10:00 am

No, an opposing player cannot contact the ball when keeper has control. This includes if they have one hand on top of the ball holding the ball on the ground.

time2win
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 00GKdad 30/09/13, 10:11 am

My understanding is that once a keeper has control of the ball with two hands, that a certain small level of unintentional (and probably intentional as well) contact is allowed.  Anything more than that is subject to verbal warnings or cards depending on the severity.  Kicking the ball out of the hands of the keeper should at least very least be a warning.

That being said, out of the many times my U16 son and U14 daughter have had balls kicked out of their hands and late-tackled over the years, I've only seen a handful of warnings and no cards.  For some reason, many referees are lax to issue even a warning on these.  

My son's coach taught him a few ways to protect himself with his body, but ultimately the refs need to be reminded.  Having the keep hold the ball for a second, make eye contact with the ref and point out repeat offenders works sometimes.  Otherwise a gentle reminder needs to come from the captain or Coach.

00GKdad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccer0205dad 30/09/13, 10:55 am

time2win wrote:No, an opposing player cannot contact the ball when keeper has control. This includes if they have one hand on top of the ball holding the ball on the ground.  

I've seen a lot of that happen, GK has a hand on the ball pegged to the ground - a forward kicks it out of his/her hands and a goal is scored, both with Competitive and Recreational.  Ref's must not know that rule.

00GKdad wrote:My understanding is that once a keeper has control of the ball with two hands, that a certain small level of unintentional (and probably intentional as well) contact is allowed.  Anything more than that is subject to verbal warnings or cards depending on the severity.  Kicking the ball out of the hands of the keeper should at least very least be a warning.

That being said, out of the many times my U16 son and U14 daughter have had balls kicked out of their hands and late-tackled over the years, I've only seen a handful of warnings and no cards.  For some reason, many referees are lax to issue even a warning on these.  

My son's coach taught him a few ways to protect himself with his body, but ultimately the refs need to be reminded.  Having the keep hold the ball for a second, make eye contact with the ref and point out repeat offenders works sometimes.  Otherwise a gentle reminder needs to come from the captain or Coach.

So much for keeping the players safe!

soccer0205dad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SocDad 30/09/13, 11:29 am

So what your saying is....

If a keeper makes a save by stretching out on the ground and has just 1 hand on top of the ball (the ball is STOPPED and trapped between the ground and 1 hand) then the keeper is considered in "control" of the ball?  (Basically, kind of looks like the keeper tee's the ball up for a goal and the offense take a "Point After kick" attempt Smile)

What about if a the keeper has control, and the offense accidentally runs into her and the ball comes loose.....they score.  Did the score count?

Because I have seen where that happened before.....
SocDad
SocDad
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Firebird 30/09/13, 12:22 pm

SocDad wrote:So what your saying is....

If a keeper makes a save by stretching out on the ground and has just 1 hand on top of the ball (the ball is STOPPED and trapped between the ground and 1 hand) then the keeper is considered in "control" of the ball?  (Basically, kind of looks like the keeper tee's the ball up for a goal and the offense take a "Point After kick" attempt Smile)

What about if a the keeper has control, and the offense accidentally runs into her and the ball comes loose.....they score.  Did the score count?

Because I have seen where that happened before.....
Actually that has happened to my DD and the ref counted the goal.
She had control of the ball, the forward plowed into her, knocked the ball into the goal...

Firebird
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by upper95 30/09/13, 12:48 pm

keeper has control of the ball if:

• holding the ball with both hands
  • holding the ball in palm of one hand
  • trapping the ball against the ground, goalpost or her body with a hand or arm

Referee's opinion whether the keeper has control.

This from USSF Advice to Referees on the Laws of the Game.

If the keeper touches the ball the instant it is kicked, not going to be considered "control".
If the keeper puts her hand on the ball and it gets kicked a 1/2 second or more later, ref will likely rule control.
Like a bang-bang play at first base in baseball, big gray area between the two.

upper95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Keeper Contact Question Empty Keeper Contact

Post by MaggieMaggie 30/09/13, 05:07 pm

Daughter actually had 2 girls kick her in the head when she was on the ground with the ball in her possession. A third kicked it in. Ref counted the goal and team had to go into pks despite dd being semi conscious on the ground and the ambulance on its way.
MaggieMaggie
MaggieMaggie
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by upper95 30/09/13, 06:06 pm

MaggieMaggie wrote:Daughter actually had 2 girls kick her in the head when she was on the ground with the ball in her possession.  A third kicked it in.  Ref counted the goal and team had to go into pks despite dd being semi conscious on the ground and the ambulance on its way.  
Red card x 2

upper95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by keep22 30/09/13, 06:18 pm

hince the problem Maggie...everyone talks about control and possession and throw safty out the window...

what it's about is the REFs not calling dangerous play...foot to hand, foot to face, foot to head, foot to body (sub in knees for foot also) is dangerous play even before control before possession...it's an unfair charge foot versus face. It should be stopped but rarely is especially when it's a bang bang play...As for control the ground is considered a second hand so even just one finger plus the ground is control...

keep22
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Keeper Contact Question Empty Cards for Roughing the Keeper

Post by MaggieMaggie 01/10/13, 12:05 pm

keep22 wrote:hince the problem Maggie...everyone talks about control and possession and throw safty out the window...

what it's about is the REFs not calling dangerous play...foot to hand, foot to face, foot to head, foot to body (sub in knees for foot also) is dangerous play even before control before possession...it's an unfair charge foot versus face.  It should be stopped but rarely is especially when it's a bang bang play...As for control the ground is considered a second hand so even just one finger plus the ground is control...

While I understand it is a contact sport, there has never been a card until last week for a field player roughing the keeper. She's been kicked and mauled several times after the ball is clearly out of play with nothing. Last week, there was a heated scrum in front of the goal. There had also been a lot of smack talk during the game with tensions high. Seconds after the play, one of the girls from the opposing team marched up to the goal and kicked my dd hard in the rear end. Surprise, other player was actually red carded. I didn't hear her coach or team say anything about her behavior? DD had a pretty impressive bruise on her behind a few hours later Embarassed 
MaggieMaggie
MaggieMaggie
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by upper95 01/10/13, 12:20 pm

MaggieMaggie wrote:While I understand it is a contact sport, there has never been a card until last week for a field player roughing the keeper.  She's been kicked and mauled several times after the ball is clearly out of play with nothing.  Last week, there was a heated scrum in front of the goal.  There had also been a lot of smack talk during the game with tensions high.  Seconds after the play, one of the girls from the opposing team marched up to the goal and kicked my dd hard in the rear end.   Surprise, other player was actually red carded.   I didn't hear her coach or team say anything about her behavior?  DD had a pretty impressive bruise on her behind a few hours later Embarassed 
Girls are mean.

I'd come help clean up this stuff but the girls' league doesn't need the help. Shocked 

Last edited by upper95 on 01/10/13, 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : rephrase)

upper95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down