North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Repercussions of missing a high school game for league play Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Repercussions of missing a high school game for league play

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Repercussions of missing a high school game for league play Empty Repercussions of missing a high school game for league play

Post by pitchworm 21/03/11, 04:16 pm

My DD missed a high school game for league play. The "ego coach" is requiring her to run 3- 2 miles sets in less than 16 minutes and do 45-100 yard sprints. This needs to be done in one weeks time.

Has anyone else had to deal with such.
pitchworm
pitchworm
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Repercussions of missing a high school game for league play Empty Re: Repercussions of missing a high school game for league play

Post by whowasthatto 21/03/11, 04:28 pm

I have seen that happen way too often. For some reason the high school coaches don't care that club is what gets these kids into college, not high school. Unfortunately, the AD's don't care either since it is not football or basketball. If I had relied on my DD's high school coach to play college soccer, she would be lucky to play at a DIII school as opposed to the DI school she will be playing at next year.

whowasthatto
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Repercussions of missing a high school game for league play Empty Re: Repercussions of missing a high school game for league play

Post by Guest 21/03/11, 04:34 pm

pitchworm wrote:My DD missed a high school game for league play. The "ego coach" is requiring her to run 3- 2 miles sets in less than 16 minutes and do 45-100 yard sprints. This needs to be done in one weeks time.

Why not just have her sit out the next game? I think using running as punishment is azz backwards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21/03/11, 04:40 pm

pitchworm wrote:My DD missed a high school game for league play. The "ego coach" is requiring her to run 3- 2 miles sets in less than 16 minutes and do 45-100 yard sprints. This needs to be done in one weeks time.

This is moronic for so many reasons. But the bottom line comes down to this: You are putting that player in a situation to where she could get run down and an injury occur. This is too much stress to put on a young person's body when you consider she will still be doing club and HS practices and games during this time.

Walk away from this ego-maniac.

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchnovice 21/03/11, 04:46 pm

Claim religious persecution and the coach will back down real quick....

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerinsane 21/03/11, 05:34 pm

whowasthatto wrote:I have seen that happen way too often. For some reason the high school coaches don't care that club is what gets these kids into college, not high school. Unfortunately, the AD's don't care either since it is not football or basketball. If I had relied on my DD's high school coach to play college soccer, she would be lucky to play at a DIII school as opposed to the DI school she will be playing at next year.

cheers
soccerinsane
soccerinsane
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchworm 21/03/11, 05:54 pm

She is having to run and sit out a game.................HS may be done.......she likes playing for fun but this is getting rediculious.
pitchworm
pitchworm
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnaEstVeritas 21/03/11, 06:16 pm

It sounds to me like the HS coach is suffering from a severe and chronic case of HeaddeusUpRectum compounded by an oversized ego… This condition is often fatal to a HS coach’s career if left untreated and the school's AD has any sense at all...

Seriously, it amazes me how some of these HS coaches are willing to shoot themselves in the foot and reduce their chances of winning in an effort to appear that their team’s success is a result of their coaching and not simply how many club players they are fortunate enough to have.

It sounds to me like the coach has issues and is just compensating for something...

MagnaEstVeritas
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by wornout 21/03/11, 06:23 pm

MagnaEstVeritas wrote:

It sounds to me like the HS coach is suffering from a severe and chronic case of HeaddeusUpRectum compounded by an oversized ego… This condition is often fatal to a HS coach’s career if left untreated and the school's AD has any sense at all...

Seriously, it amazes me how some of these HS coaches are willing to shoot themselves in the foot and reduce their chances of winning in an effort to appear that their team’s success is a result of their coaching and not simply how many club players they are fortunate enough to have.

It sounds to me like the coach has issues and is just compensating for something...

Next time, just call in "sick".
wornout
wornout
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 21/03/11, 07:11 pm

This wouldn't happen to be the Allen HS guy, would it?

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by MaggieMaggie 21/03/11, 10:04 pm

Haven't verified but told tonight at practice that if a Mansfield girl misses a HS game for a club game, they are off the team?
MaggieMaggie
MaggieMaggie
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by shootfire 21/03/11, 10:20 pm

Was missing a HS game for a Club game addressed before the season began? many coaches have expectations/behavior type contracts to sign (along with the parents signature) before the season starts, where everything is laid out in advance. I still think it's a dumb punishment, but if the expectations were known beforehand-maybe not as dumb..
shootfire
shootfire
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Elk 21/03/11, 10:45 pm

For those of you over 45. Great Movie!

'All the way up with a red-hot poker....'
For reasons I cannot explain, the insult 'all the way up with a red-hot poker' remains one of my all-time favorite rebukes.

For example, if somebody does or says something you do not like, your reply might be: 'You can take that and shove it all the way up with a red-hot poker.'

I first heard the phrase in the Robby Benson film, One on One, in the 1970s.

Elk
Elk
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/03/11, 03:38 am

shootfire wrote:

Was missing a HS game for a Club game addressed before the season began? many coaches have expectations/behavior type contracts to sign (along with the parents signature) before the season starts, where everything is laid out in advance. I still think it's a dumb punishment, but if the expectations were known beforehand-maybe not as dumb..

Agreed. This has been covered before on here. High school teams are now in playoff games or in key matches that will determine if their team will even make the playoffs. If the punishment was known ahead of time, then the offending player should be willing to take her medicine. Her other option is to quit high school soccer because the mean ole' coach won't treat her like she's the select star on the team. Kids need to learn accountability and too many parents aren't willing to teach it.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaggieMaggie 22/03/11, 06:41 am

Xara wrote:
shootfire wrote:

Agreed. This has been covered before on here. High school teams are now in playoff games or in key matches that will determine if their team will even make the playoffs. If the punishment was known ahead of time, then the offending player should be willing to take her medicine. Her other option is to quit high school soccer because the mean ole' coach won't treat her like she's the select star on the team. Kids need to learn accountability and too many parents aren't willing to teach it.
While I would not like it, the Mansfield girls/parents did know this going in and they did agree. With the recent HS injuries and now playoffs, at least none of the girls who can/will play in upcoming club games will want for lack of play time tongue
MaggieMaggie
MaggieMaggie
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 22/03/11, 08:09 am

I think it all lies with where you priorities are. For the highschool coach it is "his" team. For me as a parent it is "my" child. If the DD is on a top club team and getting opportunities to play in college then I would certianly not let her risk that for a highschool game. Her priority would be with her club team. I would have however let that be clearly known to the coach before hand. She has other commitment that come first. If that was not a workable situation then she would not play.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by shootfire 22/03/11, 08:43 am

I agree, many kids and parents know they are going to miss but are not upfront with the coach until the last minute and it puts the TEAM n a bind( I don't know if that was the case here), esp with district play and plyoffs. If a coach knows a key player will be out during certain games, he can groom someone else for that position-but if he or she is not prepared it can really hurt the game plan . I think if you choose to be on the HS team , you should respect it just as you would your own select team. Even tho there are some wacko coaches out there-High School and Select, I do respect a coach that holds ALL players to the same standards. Even tho HS soccer is not the ticket into college ball and many times not high quality soccer, it IS important to the players on that team, the coach, the parents of the players and the school.

Last edited by shootfire on 22/03/11, 08:53 am; edited 1 time in total
shootfire
shootfire
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 22/03/11, 08:48 am

exactly. Communication in the key. The reality is that it is often not possible to make everything. Often when a player (parent) is upfront and set the expectations early then things can be worked out. Especially if the player is from one of the top scouted teams. Coaches usually understand and would take those players for the games that they can get them in.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchworm 22/03/11, 09:07 am

That is not the case, coach did not make guidelines, other girls have missed but only been required to run 2 miles. I am a firm believer in making kids accountable but right is right and right and wrong is wrong.
pitchworm
pitchworm
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/03/11, 09:23 am

My 2 cents....giggle.....Being that you play on 2 teams, you of course have had the discussion with your DD about responsibilities and keeping up with commitments for both teams, but this is a prime opportunity for you to show your DD that sometimes, it's best to drop from being on a team than to continue trying your best to be on both.
I would explain to her that the HS coach is being unreasonable, and is not really considering her overall well being. If the HS coach was aware of the situation that your DD was in when she started playing high school soccer, then he can't be complaining or pushing hard punishment about her missing a game.
I make sure my DD's coaches are fully aware of everything that is going on with both her teams. Yes this is just academy, but it applies at the older age level as well.
If her coach knew her situation coming in and you properly notified them of the potential for conflict here and there, then he needs to just accept it and move past it. Having her run miles on end and potentially increasing her risk of injury because of his hurt ego, it just shows her that this is not where she needs to be.
It'd be hard, but if this is the treatment your DD will look forward to for a missed game, then I'd have her drop high school soccer and for the next few weeks, she'd be wearing her club gear, medals around her neck, and her disney trophies in her bag each day so he can see what he missed out on.

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/03/11, 09:33 am

DoubleDD wrote:

My 2 cents....giggle.....Being that you play on 2 teams, you of course have had the discussion with your DD about responsibilities and keeping up with commitments for both teams, but this is a prime opportunity for you to show your DD that sometimes, it's best to drop from being on a team than to continue trying your best to be on both.
I would explain to her that the HS coach is being unreasonable, and is not really considering her overall well being. If the HS coach was aware of the situation that your DD was in when she started playing high school soccer, then he can't be complaining or pushing hard punishment about her missing a game.
I make sure my DD's coaches are fully aware of everything that is going on with both her teams. Yes this is just academy, but it applies at the older age level as well.
If her coach knew her situation coming in and you properly notified them of the potential for conflict here and there, then he needs to just accept it and move past it. Having her run miles on end and potentially increasing her risk of injury because of his hurt ego, it just shows her that this is not where she needs to be.
It'd be hard, but if this is the treatment your DD will look forward to for a missed game, then I'd have her drop high school soccer and for the next few weeks, she'd be wearing her club gear, medals around her neck, and her disney trophies in her bag each day so he can see what he missed out on.

Good luck!

See DD when you type things like "my 2 cents...giggle" it's hard to believe it when you say your guy. No Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchworm 22/03/11, 09:42 am

yes, that is what has been decided............goodbye HS soccer.
pitchworm
pitchworm
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by turf dad 22/03/11, 09:43 am

My DD missed a HS game but her coach only made her carry the ball bag. I can deal with that.
turf dad
turf dad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/03/11, 09:46 am

yearbook wrote:
DoubleDD wrote:

Good luck!

See DD when you type things like "my 2 cents...giggle" it's hard to believe it when you say your guy. No Laughing

If you ever read a post of mine and I use the term "giggle" in it, it's usually because I am making light of the fact that I am using terms/phrases which are vastly overused on this forum when people are trying to be serious. I guess I am just drinking the kool-aid....giggle....IMHO...giggle.

For those truly intrigued to know my grex, please understand I would post a panoramic shot of it for you but I am quite certain that Senor Admin would frown heavily upon it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/03/11, 09:53 am

pitchworm wrote:yes, that is what has been decided............goodbye HS soccer.

PLEASE...PLEASE.....Make sure she wears her club gear for the next few days after dropping HS soccer.....a disney trophy wouldn't hurt either.

Can they be mounted on the front of a car easily? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next