North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
+27790324557 MEET A PROFESSIONA PSYCHIC, SPIRITUAL HEALER ON28/12/23, 07:07 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557STRONG LOVE SPELLS FOR RELATIONSHIPS AND LOVE WH28/12/23, 06:58 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557WE ARE THE ILLUMINATI, REGISTER AS A NEW MEMBER 28/12/23, 06:53 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557THIS IS THE ILLUMINATI JOINING POINT 28/12/23, 06:46 amkawayidamirrows
+27790324557 THE REAL ILLUMINATI WHATSAPP NO TO CONTACT US28/12/23, 06:37 amkawayidamirrows
THE REAL ILLUMINATI WHATSAPP NO TO CONTACT US ONLINE IS+277928/12/23, 06:28 amkawayidamirrows
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Someone please tell me what "Bump" means?? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Kewb11

Our users have posted a total of 205165 messages in 31955 subjects

Someone please tell me what "Bump" means??

Go down

Someone please tell me what "Bump" means?? Empty Someone please tell me what "Bump" means??

Post by Soccermom03 28/10/11, 03:12 pm

Sorry,this might be a stupid question.....What does "Bump" mean? I see it used quite a bit and I'm finally going to ask, what the heck it means??

Soccermom03
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Someone please tell me what "Bump" means?? Empty Re: Someone please tell me what "Bump" means??

Post by Joe scafone 28/10/11, 03:14 pm

someone trying to move their post to the top

Joe scafone
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Someone please tell me what "Bump" means?? Empty Re: Someone please tell me what "Bump" means??

Post by 02MoMmA 28/10/11, 03:15 pm

Soccermom03 wrote:Sorry,this might be a stupid question.....What does "Bump" mean? I see it used quite a bit and I'm finally going to ask, what the heck it means??

Ha! Im so glad you asked it! Lol i dont feel so bad now that i know im not the only one!
02MoMmA
02MoMmA
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by texflats 28/10/11, 06:24 pm

Soccermom03 wrote:Sorry,this might be a stupid question.....What does "Bump" mean? I see it used quite a bit and I'm finally going to ask, what the heck it means??

This is what happens when the forward runs directly into the defender. If the defender is a large unmovable object, then the forward will often fall directly to the ground.
texflats
texflats
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 28/10/11, 06:27 pm

Someone please tell me what "Bump" means?? Nadya-suleman-baby-bump1
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 28/10/11, 06:30 pm

Someone please tell me what "Bump" means?? Bump-head-injury
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by ralfdallas 28/10/11, 11:03 pm

coachr wrote:
Someone please tell me what "Bump" means?? Bump-head-injury

Ouch.
ralfdallas
ralfdallas
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29/10/11, 09:06 pm

Don't feel bad. It is part of the adjustment of moving your DD from rec to academy. You think the tough adjustment will be for her, but it is for you, too. The adjustment period varies depending on if you play DIAL, CAL (no longer PAL?), EAL, UAL, SDL, PTCL, or TGPL. Then there is the question of which coach you go with- KAT, DM, JK, DM, TB or DM? There are also all sorts of frustrating things that happen especially if the grass is too tall or if the opposing team use guess players (when guess players where guess players?).

Stick with it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29/10/11, 09:42 pm

Who is DM?

Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by nukem 30/10/11, 12:58 pm

Tap_the_Brakes wrote:

Don't feel bad. It is part of the adjustment of moving your DD from rec to academy. You think the tough adjustment will be for her, but it is for you, too. The adjustment period varies depending on if you play DIAL, CAL (no longer PAL?), EAL, UAL, SDL, PTCL, or TGPL. Then there is the question of which coach you go with- KAT, DM, JK, DM, TB or DM? There are also all sorts of frustrating things that happen especially if the grass is too tall or if the opposing team use guess players (when guess players where guess players?).

Stick with it!

What is a "guess" player? Is that when the parents come on here and complain about their dd's team losing because the other team used "guest" players? They try to "guess" which players aren't normally on the team?

nukem
nukem
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30/10/11, 07:13 pm

nukem wrote:What is a "guess" player? Is that when the parents come on here and complain about their dd's team losing because the other team used "guest" players? They try to "guess" which players aren't normally on the team?

Guest so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 31/10/11, 03:25 pm

Bump

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 31/10/11, 03:32 pm

Tap_the_Brakes wrote:Bump
That
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by notdavidmay 01/11/11, 02:44 pm

The precise use of bumping threads appeared circa mid-1990s with the birth of web-based forums and then the first systems of threads classified by dates that could change and back up to a new position if new posts were added. While there are no archived threads available from the early days of BBS and forums, a glimpse at the first Internet netiquette[1] guidelines published in October 1995 suggests that the concept of “bumping a thread” had not become widespread on Usenet groups or mailing lists prior to 1995.

One of the earliest instances and references to “bumping” can be found in a StraightDope forum thread titled “Bumping Threads”[2] posted in 2000. Because of how the post is written, as well as the answers, it remains clear that the “bump” slang seemed to already be rather known and used among internet communities.

notdavidmay
notdavidmay
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchnovice 01/11/11, 04:10 pm

bump (bmp)
v. bumped, bump·ing, bumps
v.tr.
1. To strike or collide with.
2. To cause to knock against an obstacle.
a. To knock to a new position; shift: bumped the crate out of the way.
b. To shake up and down; jolt: bumped the child on her knee; was bumped about on a rough flight.
a. To displace from a position within a group or organization.
b. To deprive (a passenger) of a reserved seat because of overbooking.
5. To raise; boost: bump up the price of gasoline.
6. Sports To pass (a volleyball) by redirecting it with the forearms.
v.intr.
1. To hit or knock against something.
2. To proceed with jerks and jolts: bumped along slowly over the rocky terrain.
3. Sports To bump a volleyball.
n.
a. A blow, collision, or jolt.
b. The sound of something bumping: heard a loud bump in the dark.
a. A raised or rounded spot; a bulge.
b. A slight swelling or lump.
c. Something, such as unevenness or a hole in a road, that causes a bump.
3. A rise or increase, as in prices or enrollment.
4. One of the natural protuberances on the human skull, considered to have significance in phrenology.
5. A forward thrust of the pelvis, as in a burlesque striptease.
6. Sports A pass in volleyball made by redirecting the ball with the inside of the forearms, especially when extended and held together.
7. Slang A shot of hard liquor, sometimes accompanied by a beer chaser.
Phrasal Verbs:
bump into
To meet by chance: I often bump into him at the supermarket.
bump off Slang
To murder.

On the internet (from Wikipedia):
Many Internet forums show as their first page a list of the 20–50 topics or "discussion threads" most recently posted to. Someone wishing to keep a thread on this first page—or bring an old thread back to it—will post a reply to it purely to do this. Posters who are open about this simply write the word "bump". Acceptable reasons range from wanting to remind others that the question with which the thread started is still unanswered to offering new information that relates to an old thread; doing it simply to raise a thread's profile is generally as unwelcome as spam.

On some messageboards, users can choose to sage (correctly pronounced /sæ-ɡe/ though often confused as IPA: [seɪdʒ], akin to the homographic English word) a post if they wish to make a post, but not "bump" it. The word "sage" derives from the 2channel terminology 下げる sageru, meaning "to lower".

"Necroposting" (also called "necrobumping" or "gravedigging"), occurs when a forum thread that has been inactive for a long time or started by coachr, typically years, is bumped by a reader, usually in response to what he inadvertently believes to be an ongoing discussion, perhaps coming from a web search rather than from within the forum.

Many forums now have features allowing administrators to make a thread "sticky", meaning that the thread will remain at the top regardless of the time of the latest entry and does not refer to coachr's bad habits.

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by socrocks 01/11/11, 04:10 pm

This is the true meaning of "bump." Although the dancers are a tad bit past their prime. Good times.....good times

https://youtu.be/LaCn0P-G2lQ
socrocks
socrocks
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by soccer315 01/11/11, 05:47 pm

socrocks wrote:This is the true meaning of "bump." Although the dancers are a tad bit past their prime. Good times.....good times

cheers Makes me think of the glory days of Saturday Night Fever
soccer315
soccer315
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01/11/11, 06:11 pm

socrocks wrote:This is the true meaning of "bump." Although the dancers are a tad bit past their prime. Good times.....good times

Hope I can still bump like that when I am their age Smile Oh wait...I can't bump like that now at my age. Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down