North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Are you becoming a better Sport Parent? - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Are you becoming a better Sport Parent?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Are you becoming a better Sport Parent? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are you becoming a better Sport Parent?

Post by Referee 17/02/12, 03:48 pm

Whos's David Beckham? George Brett wants respect for the sport? This is a guy who made it a habit to attack umpires.

Referee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Are you becoming a better Sport Parent? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are you becoming a better Sport Parent?

Post by oldboot 17/02/12, 04:06 pm

Referee wrote: Whos's David Beckham? George Brett wants respect for the sport? This is a guy who made it a habit to attack umpires.

Yes and he spit chewing tobacco in the face of a heckling fan and smashed locker room toilets with a baseball bat during a hitting slump. Clearly, all of this bad behavior stems from a character defect caused by an overbearing father.
Very Happy
oldboot
oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Referee 17/02/12, 04:51 pm

Anybody can say that they had a tough parent and this is why they behave in a difficult way. However common sense tells you there are certain things you just can't do, especially if you're trying to set an example. Walk the walk. I see some parents that when they see their kid play poorly the first thing they do is criticize and yell at them, when the kid is looking for a refuge. The kid knows she had a bad game.
Playing the game at a high level is not as easy as it looks. Try it sometime. Set an example. I see big fat parents SCREAMING at their kid, meanwhile they're pigging out from the sidelines. Hipocricy comes to mind. Your kid sees YOU as an example. Forget the professional athletes they see on T V. We're all trying to develop and teach our kids the best possible way. We don't need some quote from some jock who says something and did something else. Kind of like a family doctor telling you how to do it and the doc himself never had any kids.

Referee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Seven 17/02/12, 05:19 pm

Referee wrote: Anybody can say that they had a tough parent and this is why they behave in a difficult way. However common sense tells you there are certain things you just can't do, especially if you're trying to set an example. Walk the walk. I see some parents that when they see their kid play poorly the first thing they do is criticize and yell at them, when the kid is looking for a refuge. The kid knows she had a bad game.
Playing the game at a high level is not as easy as it looks. Try it sometime. Set an example. I see big fat parents SCREAMING at their kid, meanwhile they're pigging out from the sidelines. Hipocricy comes to mind. Your kid sees YOU as an example. Forget the professional athletes they see on T V. We're all trying to develop and teach our kids the best possible way. We don't need some quote from some jock who says something and did something else. Kind of like a family doctor telling you how to do it and the doc himself never had any kids.

BINGO! cheers
Seven
Seven
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by oldboot 17/02/12, 05:41 pm

Referee wrote: Anybody can say that they had a tough parent and this is why they behave in a difficult way. However common sense tells you there are certain things you just can't do, especially if you're trying to set an example. Walk the walk. I see some parents that when they see their kid play poorly the first thing they do is criticize and yell at them, when the kid is looking for a refuge. The kid knows she had a bad game.

The smiley face was meant to signify that I was kidding about excusing or justfying bad behavior because of bad parenting. Furthermore, the point of the George Brett stories was not that we should look at him as a role model for parenting. The point was that I'd rather have my kid look back on her childhood sports experiences and remember me as a supportive, positive parent as opposed to hating me because nothing she did was ever good enough. Parents are more important role models than celebrities and unlike those celebrites, our kids see and hear what we do on a daily basis.

I think I'll go back to non-serious posting. At least my kids think I'm funny.
oldboot
oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by dirknowitzki 20/02/12, 03:00 pm

Outside of all the overthetop parents who are tearing down their own DDs, I notice how there is little good sportsmanship in US youth soccer. Why don't kids apologize when they mess up and kick another kid in the shin? Why don't kids help a fallen kid back up? Why is there way more sportsmanship in boys basketball than girls soccer? Are parents not teaching girls good sportsmanship? Are coaches not responsible for teaching fairness and respect? I've even seen some teams that consistently commit cheap underhanded fouls away from the ball. If my kid took a cheap shot, she would be punished for a month. I think being a better sports dad is to make sure my kid learns good sportsmanship. Am I the only one that wonders where sportsmanship has gone?
dirknowitzki
dirknowitzki
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20/02/12, 03:13 pm

dirknowitzki wrote:Outside of all the overthetop parents who are tearing down their own DDs, I notice how there is little good sportsmanship in US youth soccer. Why don't kids apologize when they mess up and kick another kid in the shin? Why don't kids help a fallen kid back up? Why is there way more sportsmanship in boys basketball than girls soccer? Are parents not teaching girls good sportsmanship? Are coaches not responsible for teaching fairness and respect? I've even seen some teams that consistently commit cheap underhanded fouls away from the ball. If my kid took a cheap shot, she would be punished for a month. I think being a better sports dad is to make sure my kid learns good sportsmanship. Am I the only one that wonders where sportsmanship has gone?

Nope.

Unfortunately we can only directly control our own kids and hope that the example we set will be followed by others.

That includes not allowing your child to play for a coach that exhibits poor sportsmanship on his/her own, or tolerates poor sportsmanship from any of his/her players.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20/02/12, 03:36 pm

dirknowitzki wrote:Outside of all the overthetop parents who are tearing down their own DDs, I notice how there is little good sportsmanship in US youth soccer. Why don't kids apologize when they mess up and kick another kid in the shin? Why don't kids help a fallen kid back up? Why is there way more sportsmanship in boys basketball than girls soccer? Are parents not teaching girls good sportsmanship? Are coaches not responsible for teaching fairness and respect? I've even seen some teams that consistently commit cheap underhanded fouls away from the ball. If my kid took a cheap shot, she would be punished for a month. I think being a better sports dad is to make sure my kid learns good sportsmanship. Am I the only one that wonders where sportsmanship has gone?

You make a great point and I saw an example of great sportsmanship at my DD game a few weeks ago. My DD was chasing down a free ball and was sandwhiched between two defenders. The defender on the other team got to the ball first and my DD was putting on pressure and the other player simply tripped over the ball. The ref called my DD for a foul as the other girl was on the ground.

AFter the play, I saw the other girl saying something to my DD on the field and thought she was talking smack to my DD. I asked my DD what was said after the game and she said the defender came up to her and said: " You should have not been called for a foul as I tripped on the ball myself." There was no smacktalk at all, just an apology really.

Was nice to see the other player be so open and honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by OOrah 20/02/12, 07:44 pm

Forget about sportsmanship. The apple don't fall far from the tree. Bad sport parents makes bad sport kids. The parents set the example.
OOrah
OOrah
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20/02/12, 08:07 pm

OOrah wrote:Forget about sportsmanship. The apple don't fall far from the tree. Bad sport parents makes bad sport kids. The parents set the example.

I like your brutal honesty. Even if others haven't always appreciated it on this forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Slim 20/02/12, 10:13 pm

OOrah wrote:Forget about sportsmanship. The apple don't fall far from the tree. Bad sport parents makes bad sport kids. The parents set the example.

I totally agree! Our kids look to us as role models - I am constantly asking myself: are my actions and decisions teaching my kids something positive about how to live their lives?

Slim
Slim
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Distributor 20/02/12, 10:52 pm

Slim wrote:

I totally agree! Our kids look to us as role models - I am constantly asking myself: are my actions and decisions teaching my kids something positive about how to live their lives?

Hopefully they don't see your avatar... Razz affraid

Distributor
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Slim 20/02/12, 11:19 pm

Distributor wrote:
Slim wrote:

What in the world is wrong with my avatar? That's my lawn mowing outfit - gotta keep cool in July and August!
Slim
Slim
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20/02/12, 11:28 pm

Slim wrote:
Distributor wrote:
Slim wrote:

What in the world is wrong with my avatar? That's my lawn mowing outfit - gotta keep cool in July and August!

I am glad you're not my neighbor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Slim 20/02/12, 11:39 pm

I just bought a new swim suit I'm saving for the qualifying tournament - it gets hot on those sidelines!

Last edited by Slim on 21/02/12, 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Slim
Slim
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Slim 20/02/12, 11:55 pm

By the way, I'm the team manager of my DD's team and were looking to "round out" our roster. We've got a great group of parents. Let me know if you're wanting to make a change. See you on the pitch!
Slim
Slim
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 21/02/12, 04:46 am

Slim wrote:By the way, I'm the team manager of my DD's team and were looking to "round out" our roster. We've got a great group of parents. Let me know if you're wanting to make a change. See you on the pitch!
Clean up your bubblegum and I'll think about it
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2