North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Join Heath Soccer Academy (Rockwall area)29/08/24, 10:58 pmsocroc
Join Heath Soccer Academy (Rockwall area)29/08/24, 11:02 amsocroc
09/10 COMPETITIVE TEAM IN ROCKWALL AREA17/08/24, 02:26 amJumpman
Last call Solar 09/10 Rockwall22/07/24, 10:48 amsocroc
Last call Solar 09 Rockwall22/07/24, 10:15 amsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 08:15 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 06:35 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 05:18 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)26/06/24, 10:29 amsocroc
2008G Dallas Texans Tryouts (Final 1-2 spots)26/06/24, 10:20 amDallas Texans East
2008G Dallas Texans Tryouts 26/06/24, 09:52 amDallas Texans East
Solar 07 Spear DII Classic League 25/06/24, 01:42 pmsocroc
Solar 06B RL and DI Classic 25/06/24, 01:34 pmsocroc
RSC 11' GCL w/Coach Adam23/06/24, 01:15 pmacst
Oh Yeah! movin' on UP 09's23/06/24, 09:58 amacst
Open Practice 20/06/24, 10:00 amCoach Jim
BvB '06 Gold D-1 Coach Chris Obara formerly with Ayses 17/06/24, 11:18 amBiroBiro
Renegades 2016G and 2017G North Blanton16/06/24, 06:30 pmtareyncarol
FCP Dynamos 2010B - Looking For Players16/06/24, 05:02 pmfcpcoach
Solar 2014B Williams - White - Needing 2 more players09/06/24, 02:39 pmMarvelousmar
RSC ELITE CAC09/06/24, 12:10 pmacst
RSC 08Clark02/06/24, 05:43 pmacst
Sting 2011 Boys ECNL RL NTX02/06/24, 06:17 amJumpman
NTX Celtic 2011B ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 11:04 pmFSFFL
NTX Celtic 06/07G ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 10:49 pmFSFFL

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15806 registered users
The newest registered user is Karly

Our users have posted a total of 205242 messages in 32019 subjects

Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy?

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy? Empty Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy?

Post by Guest 18/08/15, 03:21 pm

Sorry for another agepure thread, want to focus on something specific.

I 'hear' that the Jan - July '06 players will have the option to stay academy or go select next year.  What do you believe are the pros of going select?  Sho'Nuff has no problem seeing cons.  Also, I haven't experienced select soccer, do these coaches/teams/clubs flip some magical developmental switch after they receive that big check?

Cons of going select:
Expensive
12 month contract
No more guesting
No more boys leagues
11v11 I assume
QT- 100 degrees, $800, #1 vs #56
#1 vs #20 in league play (rarely happens in academy)

Pros of going select:
Play against older girls
Stay with friends

Last edited by Sho'nuff on 18/08/15, 05:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy? Empty Re: Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy?

Post by Guest 18/08/15, 03:26 pm

Sho'nuff wrote:Sorry for another agepure thread, want to focus on something specific.

I 'hear' that the Jan - July '06 players will have the option to stay academy or go select next year.  What do you believe are the pros of going select?  Sho'Nuff has no problem seeing cons.  Also, I haven't experienced select soccer, do these coaches/teams/clubs flip some magical developmental switch after they receive that big check?

Cons of going select:
Expensive
12 month contract
No more guesting
No more boys leagues
11v11 I assume
#1 vs #20 (rarely happens in academy)
No More FBR to argue over - It's all about league standings

Pros of going select:
Play against older girls
Stay with friends
No More FBR to argue over - It's all about league standings

Back to top Go down

Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy? Empty Re: Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy?

Post by AtThePitch 18/08/15, 03:30 pm

05s will be 9v9 next fall. all the other cons are correct and nothing changes with the coaching, the mistakes just cost the parent more.

one game per weekend against older kids does not exactly equate to development IMO... the training is the essential part. what is the caliber of kids training with them weekly and how often is it done.

friends are gravy, but Friends dont write the checks, I do. plain and simple.
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 18/08/15, 03:40 pm

AtThePitch wrote:05s will be 9v9 next fall.  all the other cons are correct and nothing changes with the coaching, the mistakes just cost the parent more.

one game per weekend against older kids does not exactly equate to development IMO... the training is the essential part.  what is the caliber of kids training with them weekly and how often is it done.  

Good info!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakedad 18/08/15, 03:45 pm

AtThePitch wrote:05s will be 9v9 next fall.  all the other cons are correct and nothing changes with the coaching, the mistakes just cost the parent more.

one game per weekend against older kids does not exactly equate to development IMO... the training is the essential part.  what is the caliber of kids training with them weekly and how often is it done.  

05's won't be be 9x9, only the 06 group moving forward will be subject to the new regulations. 05's have been playing 11x11 for a couple years and they will be grandfathered in. What will impact all age groups will be the calendar year versus school year model that will be rolled out next year. Sho, if the team your DD plays with is made up of of the majority of late 05's and the coach (and club for that matter) would be willing to keep the current team together, do you play up? I imagine some clubs are going to reshuffle to create team advantages if possible.
Lakedad
Lakedad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PowerKick 18/08/15, 03:47 pm

Interesting, I thought all the 06 players go to select next year, you may not have a choice, including those from Aug 06 ~ Dec 06.

However I could be totally wrong.

Sho'nuff wrote:Sorry for another agepure thread, want to focus on something specific.

Cons of going select:
Expensive
12 month contract
No more guesting
No more boys leagues
11v11 I assume

Pros of going select:
Play against older girls
Stay with friends

PowerKick
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch 18/08/15, 03:48 pm

sorry bud, but we can agree to disagree, but the calendar 05s next fall that choose to stay 05 and the current 06s that suddenly become 05 WILL be playing 9v9.

The current jan - july 05s will be repeating their u11 year if they choose to stay put, hence the reason for 9v9.
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 18/08/15, 03:51 pm

Are you going to believe a random internet guy or your coach? Very Happy

PowerKick wrote:Interesting, I thought all the 06 players go to select next year, you may not have a choice, including those from Aug 06 ~ Dec 06.

Cons of going select:
Expensive
12 month contract
No more guesting
No more boys leagues
11v11 I assume

Pros of going select:
Play against older girls
Stay with friends

Back to top Go down

Post by Blues Fan 18/08/15, 03:53 pm

Lakedad wrote:

05's won't be be 9x9, only the 06 group moving forward will be subject to the new regulations.  05's have been playing 11x11 for a couple years and they will be grandfathered in.  What will impact all age groups will be the calendar year versus school year model that will be rolled out next year.  Sho, if the team your DD plays with is made up of of the majority of late 05's and the coach (and club for that matter) would be willing to keep the current team together, do you play up?  I imagine some clubs are going to reshuffle to create team advantages if possible.

So it's official, where can I find that information?
Blues Fan
Blues Fan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch 18/08/15, 03:54 pm

for your reading pleasure...

Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy? <a href=Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy? Age_ch11" />
PowerKick wrote:Interesting, I thought all the 06 players go to select next year, you may not have a choice, including those from Aug 06 ~ Dec 06.

Cons of going select:
Expensive
12 month contract
No more guesting
No more boys leagues
11v11 I assume

Pros of going select:
Play against older girls
Stay with friends

AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by jogobonito06 18/08/15, 04:23 pm

According to that chart, my dd and many others will graduate HS as a U17 player. Weird.
jogobonito06
jogobonito06
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 18/08/15, 04:31 pm

jogobonito07 wrote:According to that chart, my dd and many others will graduate HS as a U17 player.  Weird.

From the Michigan announcement "Teams will no longer be referred to or registered as U19, U18, U17, U16, etc. but rather by Birth Year." Of course, we still need the Uwhatever classification to determine field size and format.

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdad19 18/08/15, 04:55 pm

So, late 05's and any early 05's that choose NOT to play up with calendar 04's, will go through QT next year, a second time for early 05's?

Will early calendar 06's be allowed to play up with 05's for QT and select next year?

In the current set up, you are not allowed to play up on select age (U11) teams before you are select age.

soccerdad19
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 18/08/15, 04:59 pm

For those that missed 'the email' in the '03 forum:

I wanted to update you on the changes that are underway with the USSF Player Development Initiatives.This is what we believe to be true at this point in time. We are still verifying some aspects of this and will let you know if changes take place. This will affect all:

- North Texas Member Associations' registration of players and formation of teams
- North Texas Competitive Club team formation
- North Texas league playing rules and field layouts
- All other Federation organizations

I have attached some documents to help you understand the initiatives.

The Player Development Initiatives presentation was provided to us by the Federation to help explain the small sided game plan. It outlines their recommendations on field size as well as the number of players on the field, game length, etc.

The highlights of the small sided formats are:

U8 and below - 4 v 4, no goal keeper
U9, U10 - 7 v 7, goal keeper, but no punting
U11, U12 - 9 v 9

We are expecting some lattitude on the sizes of fields as associations and playing leagues are working with any field modifications necessary.

I have also attached a spreadsheet that has two tabs. One tab compares where we are now with where we need to be by 2017 on small sided soccer. The key differences for NTX are the U7/U8 age group, where we will need to move down to 4 v 4 and the U11/U12 age group where we need to move down to 9 v 9. We are recommending that we move the U7 to 4 v 4 and the U11 to 9 v 9 next year, so that when they move up to U8 and U12 the following year, they will be keeping the same playing format. Then going into 2017, everyone will have transititioned to the desired format.

There is another tab on the calendar year age groups. North Texas Soccer is planning to make this change for the 2016/2017 playing year. We are in the process of confirming with USSF that these are the correct birth years for the correct age groups for 2016/17 and that all of the other programs that we interact with are changing at the same time. It will mean that half of each current age group will repeat their age group, if they decide to play within their calendar birth year age group.

We will be extensively revising the North Texas rules, submitting them to the membership for approval at the mid-year AGM in January. To minimize the disruption to already formed teams, we are recommending changes to the rules regarding playing up. Keeping in mind that a team is always designated by the age of their oldest player, we are recommending that players be permitted to play up at any age group. Then teams with half of their players with one calendar year birthdate and half with another can continue to play together, just designated as the older age. Associations and clubs could then begin at the youngest age groups with players all from the same calendar birth year and phase into age pure teams. In addition, any new players added to teams could be added to their own calendar year age group. If a club or association wanted to go ahead and make adjustment to existing teams, hopefully with minimal upset to players and parents, they
would
have the ability to do that.

We will plan time at the AGM to discuss the implementation of these changes, so we are all ready to start with registration in next summer. I will also be working with the Competitive Committee to make any rules recommendations necessary to help make this a smooth transition. This is a lot of changes in a very short period of time and we are very fortunate to be working with a great group of associations and clubs that I am sure will work together and get this done.

Thank you for all you do for the players and your organizations.

Sincerely,

Janet
Janet Campbell
Youth Commissioner
NTX Soccer

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerjack 18/08/15, 05:03 pm

soccerdad19 wrote:So, late 05's and any early 05's that choose NOT to play up with calendar 04's, will go through QT next year, a second time for early 05's?

Will early calendar 06's be allowed to play up with 05's for QT and select next year?  

In the current set up, you are not allowed to play up on select age (U11) teams before you are select age.

Details...details. Much easier to blow things up...just because. Nevermind grandfathering all the Older teams in and starting with the 06s or 07s, because this needs to be done now says some idiot in a land far away.
soccerjack
soccerjack
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19/08/15, 07:18 am

I've seen people in here complain about possibly 'losing' a year of select. Educate me on why select ball is better than academy. Are the select coaches better developers?

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdad19 19/08/15, 07:33 am

Sho'nuff wrote:I've seen people in here complain about possibly 'losing' a year of select.  Educate me on why select ball is better than academy.  Are the select coaches better developers?

I'm already in the middle of this process with my 02, it sounds like a good way to save $2000+

Sounds like a positive to me.

soccerdad19
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by NorthDallasSoccer 19/08/15, 08:26 am

having an extra year of academy is such a GOOD thing
NorthDallasSoccer
NorthDallasSoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by boilerjoe_96 19/08/15, 08:47 am

soccerdad19 wrote:
Sho'nuff wrote:I've seen people in here complain about possibly 'losing' a year of select.  Educate me on why select ball is better than academy.  Are the select coaches better developers?

I'm already in the middle of this process with my 02, it sounds like a good way to save $2000+

Sounds like a positive to me.

Agree, is a positive for us w spring kids.

There are positives and negatives for both fall and spring kids... What kind of person each parent is will determine how they react.  Negative parents will whine no matter what.

Spring:  Pros: Now oldest and can shine more. Select pushed a yr saving mom/dad money  Con:  Have to play against younger kids, not ideal for long term development(I prefer playing against more experienced kids)

Fall:  Pros:  Instead of training w younger kids, they get pushed more to develop w older kids increasing development  Con:  Little Suzie won't be quite the top player in relation to others anymore.  Many a bruised Parental ego.

In the end not a darn thing we can do about any of this.  Teams will get blown up, kids will be fine.  Some parents will see half full glass, some half empty.
boilerjoe_96
boilerjoe_96
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch 19/08/15, 08:50 am

you know i never heard an Aug-january parent complain about having to play or train with/against the Feb-July kids... lol

just saying.
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19/08/15, 08:51 am

Janet's comments don't seem to align with common sense or the current world.

Select qualifying tournaments will have to move to November/December/January and align with birth year.  This has to happen to align select contract expiration with birth year, or player movement won't occur when a player changes division (U11, U12...and so on) as it does currently.

If that logical assumption is correct it means 2015 will be complete chaos with qualifying.  Select contracts for 05 and older ages will expire next July 1.  They will need a temporary extension or bridge for the fall months when birth year comes into effect.  Teams can either use the late summer and fall season to reorganize and play a longer first year, or they can continue with current teams until end of year.  

For the birth year 05's playing on an 06 soccer team (Academy), it means they will jump directly into year two of select soccer.  They will also have to jump directly into 11v11.  For the 06's playing academy, they will go through qualifying in fall/winter 2015 playing 9v9.  

This would also mean that most LH league age teams will have to requalify if N+1 of their roster is not age pure.  That will mean an extremely long and painful requalifying and seeding for teams of older age groups.  The rosters of ECNL teams would be put through the same chaos, but their rosters tend to be more fluid year over year.      

These are just logical assumptions if the try to align the current structure with Age Pure timing.  It is quite possible logic has already gone out the window on this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by NorthDallasSoccer 19/08/15, 08:55 am

S&B, I *think* it will not turn out that way. The N+1 will only apply if a team switches clubs. Otherwise the club keeps the bye regardless. Everyone just moves up. The club/parents can decide if the younger players "play up" with their current team and if older kids move down into their age pure slot.
NorthDallasSoccer
NorthDallasSoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19/08/15, 08:59 am

You guys aren't paying attention. '05 AP will be first year of select. '06 AP will be academy.

Back to top Go down

Post by NorthDallasSoccer 19/08/15, 09:00 am

yep
NorthDallasSoccer
NorthDallasSoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakedad 19/08/15, 09:55 am

Sho'nuff wrote:You guys aren't paying attention.  '05 AP will be first year of select.  '06 AP will be academy.

Obviously the most difficult decision NTX Soccer will need to make. If this is scheduled to be implemented next year, all select contracts should be voided for a year and those kids should be allowed the ability to find a good fit - particularly if Jan 05-Aug 05 kids will be forced to re-qualify again, but for all ages groups that will need to find a new team or a new club.
Lakedad
Lakedad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next