North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
2010G Renegades GCL ELITE14/05/24, 06:56 pmNickicharriere
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:31 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:01 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:55 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:50 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:45 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:40 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:29 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:24 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:19 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:12 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:07 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:02 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:56 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:51 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:46 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:30 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:25 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:19 pmsbarton12
Evolution 2011 Boys Classic League D1 Tryouts09/05/24, 02:21 pmCoach Stuart
EVOLUTION 15B MCGREGOR09/05/24, 02:06 pmLewis McGregor

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

No headers Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205203 messages in 31989 subjects

No headers

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

No headers Empty No headers

Post by 06Southgirl 14/03/16, 09:11 pm

Well looks like I won't have to pay cash to my kid if she gets a header goal .....

US Club Soccer has elected to implement new heading and concussion rules recommended by US Soccer Federation (USSF). Effective immediately, the following rules apply for all PrimeTime Sports leagues and tournaments sanctioned by US Club Soccer:

The Federation is recommending, and US Club Soccer is requiring immediately, new rules as it relates to heading in games, as follows:

- Players in U-11 programs and younger shall not engage in heading in games.

- Referees should enforce these restrictions by age group according to the specified rules.

- In adherence to these new requirements, referees have been instructed by U.S. Soccer of the following rule addition: When a player deliberately heads the ball in a game, an indirect free kick (IFK) should be awarded to the opposing team from the spot of the offense. If the deliberate header occurs within the goal area, the indirect free kick should be taken on the goal area line parallel to the goal line at the point nearest to where the infringement occurred.

For more information about the USSF Concussion Initiatives, please visit www.ussoccer.com/about/recognize-to-recover

- PrimeTime Sports
06Southgirl
06Southgirl
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

No headers Empty Re: No headers

Post by Zizou 14/03/16, 10:21 pm

Good rule, now keeper should not be allowed to punt and must throw out.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustangGT 15/03/16, 09:23 am

Next they should make a rule where you cannot kick the ball when another player is within 5 feet. Do you know how many kids I have seen hurt from getting hit in the head or face from a nearby kick?

MustangGT
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 06Southgirl 15/03/16, 09:32 am

I have mixed emotions about the header rule. While I can see its purpose our girls are really starting to use headers during game play. I think it may be hard to tell them no more for a year then you can do it again.
06Southgirl
06Southgirl
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph FC 15/03/16, 09:48 am

laughing stock! Absolutely ridiculous. Kids head the ball at whatever age they feel comfortable so why are we punishing the ones that can and want too. No one gets concussion from heading it correctly!
Triumph FC
Triumph FC
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

http://www.triumphfc.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/03/16, 10:09 am

MustangGT wrote:Next they should make a rule where you cannot kick the ball when another player is within 5 feet. Do you know how many kids I have seen hurt from getting hit in the head or face from a nearby kick?

It seems likes it a small handful of kids that are repeatedly smashed in the face.

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph FC 15/03/16, 10:13 am

Yep the closer you can get to the ball the better. It's a great lesson as the timid ones get hit often so shy away more and the aggressive ones don't as the closer you are the more likely you will be hit below the knees.
Triumph FC
Triumph FC
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by DDdad 15/03/16, 11:46 am

I've stated before that I've seen a couple thousand youth girls soccer games and seen dozens of concussions. I've seen concussions from heads bouncing off the turf. Seen girls hit the goal poles, seen elbows, knees, feet to head. Seen concussion from blows to the back snapping the head back violently. I've seen shots and crosses that struck another player who was not ready or did not see it in the head. Completely wiped them out. I've seen head to head.

What I have never seen is a concussion caused by intentionally heading the ball as properly taught. I'm not saying it's never happened but I'd wager out of 100 concussions, it would account for less than 5%.

This rule is less about preventing injuries and more about complying with the class action suit and checking a box as "doing something." IMO.

If you were really serious about concussions, you would mandate headgear until age 14, instruct officials to use those funny little cards in their pockets occasionally and create a mandatory BaseLine for all Soccer for concussion protocol. And sit kids that failed. It's not really all that hard but this rule will do nothing to solve the issue.

There, I said it.
DDdad
DDdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph FC 15/03/16, 11:50 am

Well said!
Triumph FC
Triumph FC
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by 06Southgirl 15/03/16, 11:57 am

DDdad wrote:I've stated before that I've seen a couple thousand youth girls soccer games and seen dozens of concussions.   I've seen concussions from heads bouncing off the turf.  Seen girls hit the goal poles, seen elbows, knees, feet to head.  Seen concussion from blows to the back snapping the head back violently.   I've seen shots and crosses that struck another player who was not ready or did not see it in the head.   Completely wiped them out.   I've seen head to head.  

What I have never seen is a concussion caused by intentionally heading the ball as properly taught.   I'm not saying it's never happened but I'd wager out of 100 concussions, it would account for less than 5%.  

This rule is less about preventing injuries and more about complying with the class action suit and checking a box as "doing something." IMO.

If you were really serious about concussions, you would mandate headgear until age 14, instruct officials to use those funny little cards in their pockets occasionally and create a mandatory BaseLine for all Soccer for concussion protocol.  And sit kids that failed.   It's not really all that hard but this rule will do nothing to solve the issue.  

There, I said it.  

cheers
06Southgirl
06Southgirl
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Refmike 15/03/16, 12:26 pm

DDdad wrote:I've stated before that I've seen a couple thousand youth girls soccer games and seen dozens of concussions.   I've seen concussions from heads bouncing off the turf.  Seen girls hit the goal poles, seen elbows, knees, feet to head.  Seen concussion from blows to the back snapping the head back violently.   I've seen shots and crosses that struck another player who was not ready or did not see it in the head.   Completely wiped them out.   I've seen head to head.  

What I have never seen is a concussion caused by intentionally heading the ball as properly taught.   I'm not saying it's never happened but I'd wager out of 100 concussions, it would account for less than 5%.  

If you were really serious about concussions, you would mandate headgear until age 14, instruct officials to use those funny little cards in their pockets occasionally and create a mandatory BaseLine for all Soccer for concussion protocol.  And sit kids that failed.   It's not really all that hard but this rule will do nothing to solve the issue.  

There, I said it.  

I think that saying far less than 5% of headers results as a reason to not try to protect the younger kids. If even 1 in a hundred headers resulted in a concussion, that is way too many. Remember, they are not outlawing the use of headers except for the early years of competitive soccer. Even the NFL finally had to admit that concussions were a problem.
Safety of the kids should always come first, especially when it comes to body parts that are not fully able to protect themselves (the head for example).
Refmike
Refmike
Refmike
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by slrsoccer 15/03/16, 01:42 pm

Sorry Mike, but your post reeks of today's pansy society, even though I know you didn't mean for it to come off that way.

There are hundreds of ways to reduce even 1 concussion; no running, no one is allowed within 5 feet of the posts, no slide tackling, no passing or shooting in the air, no jumping, etc.

This rule has done nothing but kick the can down the road.  Instead of having 8,9,10 year olds learning to head the ball we will have 11,12,13 year olds learning how to head the ball...what is the difference.  

Brain experts suggest that the brain doesn't stop developing until the age of 25, should we just ban heading until then?

This isn't a concussion problem, this isn't a sporting problem, this is a societal problem that suggests anyone who has ever had something bad happen to them must find something or someone to blame.

Next thing we will see will be a class action lawsuit for every kid or adult that has fallen and broken a bone in a soccer match, suffered a knee injury or busted a lip.

I have headed the ball tens of thousands of times and never once had a concussion from the act of heading.  This is an absolutely ridiculous rule.

slrsoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 15/03/16, 02:14 pm

I think that is what the NFL was saying about 5-10 years  ago and now the sport is paying for it. I don't know what the answer to the issue is but doing nothing is not the solution.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Blues Fan 15/03/16, 02:24 pm

So let's implement a rule that will do absolutely nothing to solve the problem. Great, when are you running for office?
Blues Fan
Blues Fan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by slrsoccer 15/03/16, 02:32 pm

Unfortunately the answer will end up becoming waivers (that protect from any future lawsuit) in which parents have to make the decision to sign or not sign.  From there they need to make the decision whether or not they want to let their minor participate in any particular sport.

It is the only logical way to keep the form of sport the way we know it.

By signature herein, I (parent) understand that (daughter) may get injured by participating in soccer.  These injuries could be, but are not limited to:
- strawberries from sliding on the turf
- braces stuck to lip due to impact with ball, ground, field equipment, opposing player, teammate or water bottle
- concussion from heading the ball, hitting the ground with head, hitting goal post with head, hitting opposing player with head, hitting teammate with head, running too fast, running too slow, jumping too high
- broken bones due to falling, tripping, being tripped, landing awkwardly, walking, running, jogging, jumping

...we could go on for days and days and days with this garbage.  Yet, I truly believe that this is where we are headed.  

As parents, we know the risks given the way specific sports are played.  It is up to us to either let our kids play or not let them play.  It is no different than not letting a kid play football, or boxing, or MMA or rugby, or baseball (because the pitcher might hit the batter), or basketball because you might sprain your ankle, etc.

There are plenty of parents that don't let their kid play football, if they don't want to let them play soccer then don't sign them up.  Suing the governing body for rule changes is typical of our litigious society.

slrsoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/03/16, 03:13 pm

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/soccer-causes-concussions-especially-in-girls-071315

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 15/03/16, 04:07 pm

Okay it says heading the ball is not the problem,but contact between players is. Doesn't heading the ball create that head to head contact between players.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Blues Fan 15/03/16, 04:26 pm

Have you watched a '06 girls game? To this date, I don't think I have ever seen two girls go after the same header in an '06 game. There are a maybe a handful of girls at this age level that consistently go after head balls. There are more elbows thrown in a game (depending on what team you are playing:shock: ) than there are girls intentionally trying to head the ball. I have yet to see an '06 try to head a ball struck with any kind of pace, most girls I've seen want nothing to do with a ball struck hard enough to cause a concussion. This rule has nothing to do with safety. Just like the age pure change has nothing to do with development.
Blues Fan
Blues Fan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 15/03/16, 05:07 pm

It won't be long before parents and coaches are yelling don't let the ball bounce. The competitive pressure will be those mid fielders heading those balls down. Technique or no technique my DD was able to tell you some of those knocked the shit out of her and man that ball had a little to much air in it.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/03/16, 06:13 pm

slrsoccer wrote:
As parents, we know the risks given the way specific sports are played.....

....There are plenty of parents that don't let their kid play football, if they don't want to let them play soccer then don't sign them up.....

That's the thing, parents don't know the risks because the medical and scientific community are still figuring them out. What if we confirm in the next 10 years that the repetitive impact of heading, starting at young ages, doesn't cause concussion, but leads to diminished brain function? A parent keeping their kid out of pop warner football couldn't have known the full risks putting them in soccer instead. I have yet to see any decent argument justifying why extremely young players need heading. Trump speak doesn't count.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-soccer-headers-concussion-met-20150428-story.html

Back to top Go down

Post by DTMC2011 15/03/16, 07:15 pm

We need Randy Marsh teaching Sarcastaball...Maybe Sarcastasoccerball.

DTMC2011
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 15/03/16, 08:48 pm

Triumph FC wrote:Well said!

Yep, I totally agree!!!
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16/03/16, 08:23 am

Personally, I think txsoccer.net is all the evidence you need to support lingering brain damage caused from heading the ball too much as kids... drunken

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 16/03/16, 08:30 am

It is well know that the genetic inferiority of American children makes it dangerous for them to do heading. Their heads are squishy and more suited to sedentary activities. It's why US education standards fall near 3rd world levels. The rest of the children around the world are fully capable of doing it.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TatonkaBurger 16/03/16, 08:30 am

bwgophers wrote:Personally, I think txsoccer.net is all the evidence you need to support lingering brain damage caused from heading the ball too much as kids... drunken

Except that 80% of the people on this forum didn't play soccer growing up.  We have to find something else to blame.
TatonkaBurger
TatonkaBurger
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next