North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Join Heath Soccer Academy (Rockwall area)29/08/24, 10:58 pmsocroc
Join Heath Soccer Academy (Rockwall area)29/08/24, 11:02 amsocroc
09/10 COMPETITIVE TEAM IN ROCKWALL AREA17/08/24, 02:26 amJumpman
Last call Solar 09/10 Rockwall22/07/24, 10:48 amsocroc
Last call Solar 09 Rockwall22/07/24, 10:15 amsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 08:15 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 06:35 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 05:18 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)26/06/24, 10:29 amsocroc
2008G Dallas Texans Tryouts (Final 1-2 spots)26/06/24, 10:20 amDallas Texans East
2008G Dallas Texans Tryouts 26/06/24, 09:52 amDallas Texans East
Solar 07 Spear DII Classic League 25/06/24, 01:42 pmsocroc
Solar 06B RL and DI Classic 25/06/24, 01:34 pmsocroc
RSC 11' GCL w/Coach Adam23/06/24, 01:15 pmacst
Oh Yeah! movin' on UP 09's23/06/24, 09:58 amacst
Open Practice 20/06/24, 10:00 amCoach Jim
BvB '06 Gold D-1 Coach Chris Obara formerly with Ayses 17/06/24, 11:18 amBiroBiro
Renegades 2016G and 2017G North Blanton16/06/24, 06:30 pmtareyncarol
FCP Dynamos 2010B - Looking For Players16/06/24, 05:02 pmfcpcoach
Solar 2014B Williams - White - Needing 2 more players09/06/24, 02:39 pmMarvelousmar
RSC ELITE CAC09/06/24, 12:10 pmacst
RSC 08Clark02/06/24, 05:43 pmacst
Sting 2011 Boys ECNL RL NTX02/06/24, 06:17 amJumpman
NTX Celtic 2011B ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 11:04 pmFSFFL
NTX Celtic 06/07G ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 10:49 pmFSFFL

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Info for upcoming select Pixel
Statistics
We have 15806 registered users
The newest registered user is Karly

Our users have posted a total of 205242 messages in 32019 subjects

Info for upcoming select

Go down

Info for upcoming select Empty Info for upcoming select

Post by butt3r 18/02/12, 05:43 pm

I started to write this in the 01 group in response to someone who picked the wrong team and figured it would be better served in the 02 forum.

Picking the wrong team is absolutely a possiblity, especially the first year for select for first time parents. Two things of advice I can pass along, aim low and don't feel like you can't make a change.

Aim low, by honestly evaluating your daughter and team placement. If she is on what is considered a top team and is not on the field 75% in academy her play time will most likely go down in select. If your team is a good team and you are rolling people now and your DD gets most of her time in games that are out of hand, next season when there is one game a weekend and it is usually a battle, you could see your play time drop to zero - not kidding. My DD is on a competitive D1 team and it is 100% about winning now, girls that used to get a couple shifts a half now are lucky to get one. Select is not academy, do not expect if you play half now to get anything close to half later. Also, don't believe the coach, his roster size could be directly related to his wallet. Find a team, even if it is a lower tier where your daughter can be a core player - getting touches and confidence is what these years should be about.

Secondly, if you do sign in the wrong place you CAN get out of it. Don't always believe the coach or the club when they tell you about no releases or it isn't their policy. If it comes to this, don't be afraid to get nasty. Also, as soon as you figure out that the only answer is somewhere else, especially if you were sold a book of lies or obviously mislead, stop paying and notify NTSSA about the issue. They don't care about club dues or politics, they will tell what options there are for your DD. They'll always grant you a release to rec at any time, without needing the club involved at all. It may not be advertised, but they'll let anyone out in December after the Fall season with any valid reason (play time is a valid reason), so you can look to move to a better place in the Spring. Now, the money part may be tricky. Some clubs will tell you that if you play in full they will grant a release - if you are debating this, make sure it is a competitive release and confirm with NTSSA that you are elegible to stay select. Don't ever pay for a rec release, as stated earlier, NTSSA will always grant those. Also, if you paid in full and you were really lied to, I've heard of even big clubs granting partial refunds. You may have to get nasty, but it is possible.

I'd say 90% of the people have a positive experience in select and many coaches will be honest and mean well, but be your DD's advocate and realize you are the only one truly looking out for her best interest.

Also, all these idiots on here that rag on people for playing around and guesting are wrong. Do it now, try out different teams, clubs, coaches, styles, etc. People will tell you how they find the perfect fit on the first team, BS - how do they know? Long term there is 0 loyalty. If your DD was on the team since she was 4 and she falls a little behind or they find someone better - she is on the bench, so don't feel bad looking for something a little better for your DD if it is out there.

I have 2 kids in totally different levels of select, one in D1 and one in PPL, and I know very little about the 02 world. I will happily give unbiased responses to any questions about the process if you want to PM me any questions.
butt3r
butt3r
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Info for upcoming select Empty Re: Info for upcoming select

Post by soccerblast 19/02/12, 09:00 am

I have heard that you don't always have to try out. If you are on a tam and your coach says he is giving you a contract, should you try out anyway

soccerblast
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by butt3r 19/02/12, 09:04 am

Tryouts do vary from club to club, and yes you are correct - Some teams will just be set - the coach will have a meeting and he'll be like, your my team, here's the deal. Now, there is always a chance someone bails last minute - plus rumors of the stars leaving can cause what looks to be a set team on a course for disaster, but it is not uncommon for a solid academy team to remain basically untouched between academy and select with no formal tryouts.

I'd say tryouts are more for new kids or kids the coach doesn't know - for the known commodities out there, coaches will want them without the whole tryout thing.
butt3r
butt3r
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 19/02/12, 10:13 am

The coach will still want the players that are told they have contracts to show up to the tryouts. He can then see how new players do with the quality of player that is already on team. Sometimes a kid can look great against a poor field of players trying out but not very good when put up against the first team. Also many players and parents moving teams want to see the nucleus of that team returning intact before commmiting. If you go to tryouts and almost none of the players from the previous season ever show up that is a huge red flag.

my2cents
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerblast 19/02/12, 11:02 am

FCDallas has 3 days of tryouts. 8-3 first day then 5-10 the next day then a third dayalso 5-10. seems pretty intensive. anyone gone thru this? does your dd have to be there the whole time?

soccerblast
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by EyesWideOpen 19/02/12, 03:03 pm

Thanks for the info. Can anyone share their team's schedule forJuneand July before/as select started?
EyesWideOpen
EyesWideOpen
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerblast 19/02/12, 05:20 pm

like to know that one also. seems like it is a hard schedule for young girls. lots of guesting???????

soccerblast
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by berserker13 19/02/12, 07:39 pm

Our experience is that most teams will hold scheduled tryouts July 1-10 or sometimes a shorter period. You should generally know where your DD stands prior to tryouts for the team you've been playing with, make sure to ask the coach by early June. Those that have already been pre-selected will get contracts on July 1 (the earliest day you can sign). Coaches usually hold 1 or 2 spots open for a few days, for some that may come around in the days following July 1. The whole team is usually expected to show to tryouts, which are essentially another practice, for the reasons stated in previous posts. Since we are rolling into qualifing for all teams, you will probably continue to practice very intensely throughout July including all scheduled tryout times even if the team is pretty much set, maybe even two-a-days at some point. In later years, you will see the team set early on and take some time off, although still a few days to look at players that move around (happens every year).
berserker13
berserker13
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down