North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Tournament Fee Question - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Tournament Fee Question

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tournament Fee Question - Page 2 Empty Re: Tournament Fee Question

Post by Guest 26/04/12, 10:17 pm

I too just assumed, based on the scenario described, that this was academy, where (although wrong) seemed to jive with the usual academy shenanigans.

Select! This is a big deal on a number of levels. This has to be a small club. I don't see any of the larger ops, even with all their power, bringing this kind of liability into their house.

Back to top Go down

Post by newtothis 26/04/12, 10:21 pm

Bicycle Guru-NOT wrote:
4eversoccer wrote:@ inthenet - you are correct. Posting on here did not help the situation, and was not appreciated. This was made clear when I was told "Having an issue or questions and bringing them up is one thing. Doing it the way you did only fosters dissension. It may have been forgivable if it had been left at that. Unfortunately, you chose to blog this issue and invite the entire metroplex to get involved (there is no anonymity). Right or wrong, your approach is unforgivable and I won't allow your pettiness on the team."

@ newtothis - my daughter is a select player, not academy.

To the many who've asked me to expose them, I've thought about it and am angry enough to do so, but it would only prove the coach right...that I am "what I (he) suspected you (I) were capable of in the first place."

I have not mentioned the club, the team, the coach, the manager, or even the age group. Whether or not I handled this the right way no longer matters. My character and integrity was assassinated by the coach when my e-mail directly to our team manager was forwarded to both coaches, the Club Director and his wife (also a team manager). The curteous and professional explaination i was looking for did come from the other team manager, but it was too late. By then, many hurtful things were said, and my daughter was told she will never play for them again. I can't fault the club, as I said, we were happy there and my daughter wanted to return.

I think everyone can understand your concerns and desire to take the high road. I personally don't believe your original post was negative or voiced in an accusatory tone, you were simply asking for input regarding a specific situation without exposing any team, club, or coach. However, as mentioned by someone earlier as a select player you and the other players not "invited" to the tournament do have a contract and contracts are a 2 way street. You might consider getting with the other non-invited players and filing a greivance with NTX soccer. If the coach is, for all intents and purposes, cutting players prior to June 30 he is violating several NTX soccer and USYSA bylaws. As for saying who this coach and club are I won't try and tell you what you should do (honestly not sure what I would do) but a coach like this and a club that would support such a coach need to be exposed to save other players from getting involved in this situation. Don't think a coach should have his own child on his team above the rec level as it is a conflict of interest, but that is a different discussion

This! Knowing now that your dd is a select player makes this a bigger issue. A huge violation of NTSSA rules. This coach will be looking at a year or more suspension if this is true and brought to NTSSA. The club will at least get put on probation.

As far as "taking the high road" the coach started down the low path by breaking the rules of all players under contract to the team have to be allowed to be on the tournament rosters.
This along with the tournament money scam he/she is pulling and this is one big cesspool of rules violations. If it were me I'd feel a moral obligation to others to let everyone know who this coach and club are so they can't keep pulling this crap. Certainly, I would be on the phone with NTSSA tomorrow morning.

newtothis
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by newtothis 26/04/12, 10:26 pm

4eversoccer wrote:
I think everyone can understand your concerns and desire to take the high road. I personally don't believe your original post was negative or voiced in an accusatory tone, you were simply asking for input regarding a specific situation without exposing any team, club, or coach. However, as mentioned by someone earlier as a select player you and the other players not "invited" to the tournament do have a contract and contracts are a 2 way street. You might consider getting with the other non-invited players and filing a greivance with NTX soccer. If the coach is, for all intents and purposes, cutting players prior to June 30 he is violating several NTX soccer and USYSA bylaws. As for saying who this coach and club are I won't try and tell you what you should do (honestly not sure what I would do) but a coach like this and a club that would support such a coach need to be exposed to save other players from getting involved in this situation. Don't think a coach should have his own child on his team above the rec level as it is a conflict of interest, but that is a different discussion

To clarify, my daughter was one of the members chosen to go to both tournaments in May and June - she was a keeper. I was unaware that the coach had any grievances with me personally until this happened. I do not believe her position on the team was in question until I made this post. I believed this forum was to share observations, opinions and information. I didn't know posting could jeopardize her position or contract renawal.

Well this just goes to show how petty this coach is. I'd prefer my dd's coach never visit this board, he should have better things to do with his time. However I know some coaches that do read this board and some that post and I know none of them would be so low to use a parent's post to punish a kid. Your dd's soon to be former coach is a slimeball and you and your dd will be much better off moving on.

newtothis
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicycle Guru-NOT 26/04/12, 10:34 pm

4eversoccer wrote:

To clarify, my daughter was one of the members chosen to go to both tournaments in May and June - she was a keeper. I was unaware that the coach had any grievances with me personally until this happened. I do not believe her position on the team was in question until I made this post. I believed this forum was to share observations, opinions and information. I didn't know posting could jeopardize her position or contract renawal.

Understood, but you are now in the same boat as those not invited to the tourney and you all have a grievance with the club and coach. Your specific situation is probably a more egregious violalation with NTSSA than the players not invited to the tourney.
Bicycle Guru-NOT
Bicycle Guru-NOT
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rcjctcac 27/04/12, 06:58 am

So sorry to hear of all your troubles, especially your daughters. Goalies are a rare bred.PM me if you would like some information about our club. To my knowledge we don't have a coach that has a DD on any of our teams. Seems this would be a huge conflict of interest.
rcjctcac
rcjctcac
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Interpreter 27/04/12, 08:38 am

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate release but since I've been around this Academy/Select soccer arena for quite some time now, I know there are always two sides to every story. I believe you had fair intentions when you posted your initial question, however, if you truly had an issue with it why didn't you not address it with your team manager and/or Coach instead of asking it here? Now maybe there was nothing wrong with that, but if you have had other run-ins or should I have said done or been accused of other things negatively affecting the team, then maybe this could have been the last straw. Not sure. It seems shady on both ends as if you are relatively new like you said, then why not just ask someone on your team if it were customary or your team manager if you had an issue or concern with it? I do not see in your initial post where you said you asked them. When you came back and said that now you've been released for your post, I see you did bring up that the Coach said there were other accusations as well. Now I do not condone any Coach mistreating any child for any reason but in some situations the parents can get so out of control or talk so negatively about this or that to others on the team that it causes issues amongst the team. My team is experiencing something similar to this right now and we all know misery loves company. What better way to break up a team than to cause turmoil within that team.

Now don't get me wrong I am not accusing you of anything, because I do not know you or your team/coach but I am just trying to make sense of the whole situation. If there were other things that you had been accused of like you said and your post only compounded the problem, then I can see a Coach trying to protect his team and get rid of bad apples. I don't believe he/she has the right however to ask any player to leave or cut any player under contract before that time has come. If I were you, I would confront the situation head on by talking to the Coach, put every thing on the table and you both address all of your issues and concerns in private. If you like the team and or Coach and would like to stay with the team and or Coach, then that's what I would do. I would not let anyone accuse me of doing anything if there was no merit to it. Just my two cents based on what I read in your post. Don't take it personal because like I said, I do not know you or whether the accusations in which you speak of are true, I just thought I'd give you my take on things. My team has several parents now that are upset with the Coach about DD's playing time as well as a host of other things and rather than they talk those issues out with the Coach, they go around from parent to parent pointing things out and now we don't know the future of our team.

Interpreter
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 4eversoccer 27/04/12, 09:01 am

@ Interpreter -

Yes, I can see how that could be perceived, but I did bring this up to the Team Manager first, then posted second. I was upset, didn't know the rules, and was given only a vague explanation when I asked the first time.

The accusations from the coach came yesterday for the first time. I had no idea that he thought negative of me. I've never had a confrontation with him or the team manager about anything. I've never had it out with any parents. We only got to really know 2 sets of parents on that team, 1 girl was released in Jan/Feb, the other missed most of the spring season due to injury. To my knowledge, the 2nd girl was never released, but the coach accused me yesterday of telling her parents about her release because of a loud coversation he had a practice with the team manager that several parents overheard. I DID ask the parent if she was released, but was told no and even asked the team mgr as late as LAST Saturday how the girl was doing and if she was coming to the game or tournaments. As I said, we were friends. I am just as lost as you on why I've been accused of doing things I haven't done. And, no, I'm not taking it likely and am taking things under advisement. Please keep in mind that no conversations ever took place in person and everything was said in writing. I have tried to keep this as anonymous as possible to protect the club, the asst. coach and the girls & parents who have done nothing wrong and are innocent in this. This was never about my daughter, it was a personal attack against me. I'm a big girl and can take the criticism.
4eversoccer
4eversoccer
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Interpreter 27/04/12, 09:06 am

4eversoccer wrote:@ Interpreter -

Yes, I can see how that could be perceived, but I did bring this up to the Team Manager first, then posted second. I was upset, didn't know the rules, and was given only a vague explanation when I asked the first time.

The accusations from the coach came yesterday for the first time. I had no idea that he thought negative of me. I've never had a confrontation with him or the team manager about anything. I've never had it out with any parents. We only got to really know 2 sets of parents on that team, 1 girl was released in Jan/Feb, the other missed most of the spring season due to injury. To my knowledge, the 2nd girl was never released, but the coach accused me yesterday of telling her parents about her release because of a loud coversation he had a practice with the team manager that several parents overheard. I DID ask the parent if she was released, but was told no and even asked the team mgr as late as LAST Saturday how the girl was doing and if she was coming to the game or tournaments. As I said, we were friends. I am just as lost as you on why I've been accused of doing things I haven't done. And, no, I'm not taking it likely and am taking things under advisement. Please keep in mind that no conversations ever took place in person and everything was said in writing. I have tried to keep this as anonymous as possible to protect the club, the asst. coach and the girls & parents who have done nothing wrong and are innocent in this. This was never about my daughter, it was a personal attack against me. I'm a big girl and can take the criticism.

I guess all I can offer you now is good luck. Good luck on finding a new team that's right for you and your DD. Or good luck on smoothing things over with this team and getting everything out in the open with your Coach. My parents always told me if you want to get to the truth, then you have to put ALL the liars in one room. I hope all works out for all involved. This seems to be a sad and unfortunate misunderstanding.

Interpreter
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 27/04/12, 09:09 am

4eversoccer wrote:@ inthenet - you are correct. Posting on here did not help the situation, and was not appreciated. This was made clear when I was told "Having an issue or questions and bringing them up is one thing. Doing it the way you did only fosters dissension. It may have been forgivable if it had been left at that. Unfortunately, you chose to blog this issue and invite the entire metroplex to get involved (there is no anonymity). Right or wrong, your approach is unforgivable and I won't allow your pettiness on the team."

To the many who've asked me to expose them, I've thought about it and am angry enough to do so, but it would only prove the coach right...that I am "what I (he) suspected you (I) were capable of in the first place."

I have not mentioned the club, the team, the coach, the manager, or even the age group. Whether or not I handled this the right way no longer matters. My character and integrity was assassinated by the coach when my e-mail directly to our team manager was forwarded to both coaches, the Club Director and his wife (also a team manager). The curteous and professional explaination i was looking for did come from the other team manager, but it was too late. By then, many hurtful things were said, and my daughter was told she will never play for them again. I can't fault the club, as I said, we were happy there and my daughter wanted to return.

I believe that this forumn should be a place you can ask questions about select/academy situations. I've had kids in select for 5 or 6 years and the first time I heard that we had to pay for our coaches room and meals I was shocked. So, I think your question was fair and this should be the correct spot to answer questions.

However, in the future I would reread your post to verify that no one can identify you. Smile
I would NOT mention the coach or team name. Just like you're doing, take the high road and mark this as experience.
Also, you don't want your DD going to the new team and parents talking about your post and marking you as a troublemaker. NTX soccer community is a smaller world.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll find a better team for your daughter.
Teams are always looking for good keepers.
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27/04/12, 09:12 am

Wow this sounds like a horrible experiance for you and daughter. I would fight this not to get your child back on the team but to set a example to your child that there are rules that have to be followed and these type of injustice should be addressed. Reading your post and not knowing you I have no idea who the coach is or what club this is. However since you were accused of outing the team I would out everyone involved . Being a academy mom going to select in the fall if I was looking for a team and heard this it would make me think twice.Hope you find a good club to be on moving foward. Best of luck .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27/04/12, 09:19 am

I think you are doing the absolute right thing by not naming the team/coach or club. Just find somewhere better Very Happy Good luck to you and your dd.

Back to top Go down

Post by inthenet 27/04/12, 09:56 am

4eversoccer wrote:@ Interpreter -

If the facts are as you state them, there is a high likelihood that you would prevail in any hearing. You say everything is in writing, and if so, that's great. The most important thing will be something from the coach or manager telling you that your dd is no longer a part of the team. They can't do that.

The whole hearing piece is a double edged sword. There is a possibility that if you win, you still lose, since, as someone else has said, the community is very small.

What do you really gain from a hearing? To be back on a team that doesn't want your dd? Of course not.

I would resist the temptation to "out" anyone on this board. Sometimes there is a bit of a mob mentality that loves this sort of thing. I believe its part of what caused your problem, as some of the responses to your legitimate question were essentially that the coach is screwing the parents of your team.

It would have, perhaps, been more helpful, if the advice you received was more along the lines of what is normal and acceptable, and how to go about getting a resolution, rather than accusing the coach, for all intents and purposes, of stealing. That's where I believe it went south.

Live and learn, if you choose a hearing, do it at North Texas, not in this court. Other than entertainment value, there is little upside for your family.

Good luck, and as many have stated, there's always a need for a good keeper. Your former team isn't one you'd really want to be on, anyway.

inthenet
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 27/04/12, 10:17 am

inthenet wrote: “Your question was a legitimate one, although it can create a bad situation when asked on a board like this and then people start making the accusations that the coach and manager are trying to screw the team.”

“I would resist the temptation to "out" anyone on this board. Sometimes there is a bit of a mob mentality that loves this sort of thing. I believe its part of what caused your problem, as some of the responses to your legitimate question were essentially that the coach is screwing the parents of your team.”
Inthenet – Why have you blamed this forum for the actions of this coach a couple times in this string?
Its Me wrote:I believe that this forum should be a place you can ask questions about select/academy situations. I've had kids in select for 5 or 6 years and the first time I heard that we had to pay for our coaches room and meals I was shocked. So, I think your question was fair and this should be the correct spot to answer questions.
I agree with Its Me, this is exactly the place for this type of question.

If you go to a mechanic that you start to become suspicious of (Repairs always cost more than originally quoted, they use high-level jargon that’s confusing while explaining issues, the repairs don’t seem to be made correctly, new issues are appearing too often) what would you do? Would you continually go back to the same mechanic and privately ask, “Are you cheating me?” Or would you go to someone you know that’s knowledgeable about cars and ask for their opinion? Would you check the web to see reviews from other customers?

If you ever have a suspicion that somebody is trying to cheat you, they probably are. If you don’t know, ask somebody (or a group of people) that may have relevant experience that can give feedback based on their experience. 4eversoccer asked a question. There is nothing wrong with asking a question in hopes of seeking advice.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27/04/12, 10:50 am

Completely agree BigTex, nicely said, cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by inthenet 27/04/12, 10:52 am

bigtex75081 wrote:
inthenet wrote: “Your question was a legitimate one, although it can create a bad situation when asked on a board like this and then people start making the accusations that the coach and manager are trying to screw the team.”

“I would resist the temptation to "out" anyone on this board. Sometimes there is a bit of a mob mentality that loves this sort of thing. I believe its part of what caused your problem, as some of the responses to your legitimate question were essentially that the coach is screwing the parents of your team.”
Inthenet – Why have you blamed this forum for the actions of this coach a couple times in this string?
Its Me wrote:I believe that this forum should be a place you can ask questions about select/academy situations. I've had kids in select for 5 or 6 years and the first time I heard that we had to pay for our coaches room and meals I was shocked. So, I think your question was fair and this should be the correct spot to answer questions.

If you go to a mechanic that you start to become suspicious of (Repairs always cost more than originally quoted, they use high-level jargon that’s confusing while explaining issues, the repairs don’t seem to be made correctly, new issues are appearing too often) what would you do? Would you continually go back to the same mechanic and privately ask, “Are you cheating me?” Or would you go to someone you know that’s knowledgeable about cars and ask for their opinion?

If you ever have a suspicion that somebody is trying to cheat you, they probably are. If you don’t know, ask somebody (or a group of people) that may have relevant experience that can give feedback based on their experience. 4eversoccer asked a question. There is nothing wrong with asking a question in hopes of seeking advice.

I have, since the beginning, said the coach was in the wrong. However, I think you were one of the ones that, with little information, made the leap to:

5. The players that are the DDs of the coaches should pay the tournament fee.

It's the last bullet that irks me because, if they do not pay like everyone else, the coaches are really using this new fee as a way to supplement their income. (By not spending money that they receive benefits from, that's bonus $$$.)

The only way that last bullet is acceptable to me is if the coaches waived their salary for the past year. Did they waive their salaries? If so, then you should help them out as a thank you. If not, they're just using the families to squeeze a little more money out of you all.

I can understand that the coach could be irritated over being accused of being a thief, or supplementing his income this way, when you have no real reason to believe that's what he's done. I don't, for one minute, defend the coach's actions, but I'm also enough of a realist to know that we're hearing one side of the story.

I've been around long enough to know that there are some major jerk managers and coaches in NTX. However, if you were to read this board from an uninformed outsiders point of view, I might come away with the opinion that the clubs and coaches are all crooked and have one goal in mind, and that's to fleece as much money as is possible from unsuspecting families, and that the leagues and officials are all basically incompetent.

There are examples of all of the above in NTX. However, I'm one that doesn't believe its the norm. I choose to wait until I've seen a little more detail that that in 4eversoccer's first post before I'd call the coach a thief.

Just my opinion.

inthenet
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by oldboot 27/04/12, 10:54 am

Hopefully most clubs realize that players and their families are customers and consumers of the club soccer "product." At the end of the day, this may very well be a failure of the club for not providing/mandating clear communication at the team level. Parents should be given clear information about fees and costs. Our coach has repeatedly stressed the importance of good communication with kids and parents and this unfortunate story is a good example of what happens when communication fails.

These issues become even more important when you consider the fact that a child is the one who gets hurt the most because of this. I cannot imagine trying to explain this to my daughter - that she is off the team she has worked to be a part of, because of a dispute between the grown-ups.

I have to wonder what the remaining families on this team think about the way this has been handled. If the facts are as you have stated, then I would hope that, at the very least, something is done at the club level. If not, the team families can always exercise their rights as consumers and find a better product.
oldboot
oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 27/04/12, 11:21 am

inthenet wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:

If you go to a mechanic that you start to become suspicious of (Repairs always cost more than originally quoted, they use high-level jargon that’s confusing while explaining issues, the repairs don’t seem to be made correctly, new issues are appearing too often) what would you do? Would you continually go back to the same mechanic and privately ask, “Are you cheating me?” Or would you go to someone you know that’s knowledgeable about cars and ask for their opinion?

I have, since the beginning, said the coach was in the wrong. However, I think you were one of the ones that, with little information, made the leap to:

It's the last bullet that irks me because, if they do not pay like everyone else, the coaches are really using this new fee as a way to supplement their income. (By not spending money that they receive benefits from, that's bonus $$$.)

The only way that last bullet is acceptable to me is if the coaches waived their salary for the past year. Did they waive their salaries? If so, then you should help them out as a thank you. If not, they're just using the families to squeeze a little more money out of you all.

I can understand that the coach could be irritated over being accused of being a thief, or supplementing his income this way, when you have no real reason to believe that's what he's done. I don't, for one minute, defend the coach's actions, but I'm also enough of a realist to know that we're hearing one side of the story.

I've been around long enough to know that there are some major jerk managers and coaches in NTX. However, if you were to read this board from an uninformed outsiders point of view, I might come away with the opinion that the clubs and coaches are all crooked and have one goal in mind, and that's to fleece as much money as is possible from unsuspecting families, and that the leagues and officials are all basically incompetent.

There are examples of all of the above in NTX. However, I'm one that doesn't believe its the norm. I choose to wait until I've seen a little more detail that that in 4eversoccer's first post before I'd call the coach a thief.

Just my opinion.
I understand your sentiments. "There is always 3 sides to every story. Your side, their side and the TRUTH." But this forum didn't cause the issues we're discussing, it only brought those issues to light.

It's my opinion that we, as consumers of NTX Soccer, need to work together to help one another to improve the system we utilize. If you've noted the posts I've made in the past (like this one, https://www.txsoccer.net/t9147-select-soccer-and-select-money) I've been consistent about that. We need to help each other. When we sit individually, and don't ask the tough questions, we ultimately negatively impact one another.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by fourfourtwo 27/04/12, 11:49 am

bigtex75081 wrote:It's my opinion that we, as consumers of NTX Soccer, need to work together to help one another to improve the system we utilize. If you've noted the posts I've made in the past (like this one, https://www.txsoccer.net/t9147-select-soccer-and-select-money) I've been consistent about that. We need to help each other. When we sit individually, and don't ask the tough questions, we ultimately negatively impact one another.

Well said.

fourfourtwo
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by inthenet 27/04/12, 12:03 pm

bigtex75081 wrote:
inthenet wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:

Just my opinion.
I understand your sentiments. "There is always 3 sides to every story. Your side, their side and the TRUTH." But this forum didn't cause the issues we're discussing, it only brought those issues to light.

It's my opinion that we, as consumers of NTX Soccer, need to work together to help one another to improve the system we utilize. If you've noted the posts I've made in the past (like this one, https://www.txsoccer.net/t9147-select-soccer-and-select-money) I've been consistent about that. We need to help each other. When we sit individually, and don't ask the tough questions, we ultimately negatively impact one another.

I can get completely on board with everyone supporting 4eversoccer's treatment after the fact. You seem to continue to kind of make the leap that the coach was doing something wrong (prior to his reaction to the post), so we "brought the issues to light", but the truth is we just don't know.

The "tough questions" as you put it, are more appropriately along the lines of "how can you cut a player before the end of the year?"

If you focus on the coaches action after the post, you and I are in complete agreement. I just really struggle with some of the other comments, without really knowing how those fee splits were structured, or the other details of the original issue.

We're all good.

inthenet
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by skippy 27/04/12, 07:58 pm

Reading this story just makes my blood boil! We have a young girl who has done NOTHING wrong and now is told she can't play????? I am so sorry to hear this. My hope is that you can find her a good fit on a new team and that you all will be able to put this behind you.

The one thing that comes to mind though is about accountability. We moved here from another state a few years back and I served as either a team manager or a team treasurer on my kids' teams. Our club would not allow the same person to be both the manager and treasurer. They required the treasurer to put together a pre season budget and present it to the team parents outlining estimated costs. The treasurer was required to provide a monthly player statement to each parent on the team. We were also required to provide a monthly team statement to the parents. IN addition, we had to give the club a semi-annual account reconciliation for the team, each player and provide bank statements. Any parent was encouraged to ask the treasurer or manager to see the books whenever they wanted. The coach never was involved with any financial issues unless a players family wasn't meeting their financial obligation to the team. Club fees were separate and the club handled these. The coach coached. The manager organized things and the treasurer provided the financials. The parents never had to worry about any shady financing because the clubs had a procedure in place that worked. By the way, the team manager and the team treasurer were strictly volunteers. Our kids did not get special rates either. We did it out of love and obligation to our kid's activities.

When we moved here, I was shocked at the financial secrecy. We never saw any statements and it was strongly implied that we were not to ask questions. The manager collected the money and we were never given any breakdown of where our money went. It turns out that when someone did finally speak up, the coach was handling the finances. The coach should never be in charge of team finances. I don't know if all clubs down here operate this way or not, but in my opinion, no club should tolerate any form of intimidation when it comes to asking questions relating to the team finances. There is no excuse for keeping secrets.

skippy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 27/04/12, 09:50 pm

skippy wrote:Reading this story just makes my blood boil! We have a young girl who has done NOTHING wrong and now is told she can't play????? I am so sorry to hear this. My hope is that you can find her a good fit on a new team and that you all will be able to put this behind you.

The one thing that comes to mind though is about accountability. We moved here from another state a few years back and I served as either a team manager or a team treasurer on my kids' teams. Our club would not allow the same person to be both the manager and treasurer. They required the treasurer to put together a pre season budget and present it to the team parents outlining estimated costs. The treasurer was required to provide a monthly player statement to each parent on the team. We were also required to provide a monthly team statement to the parents. IN addition, we had to give the club a semi-annual account reconciliation for the team, each player and provide bank statements. Any parent was encouraged to ask the treasurer or manager to see the books whenever they wanted. The coach never was involved with any financial issues unless a players family wasn't meeting their financial obligation to the team. Club fees were separate and the club handled these. The coach coached. The manager organized things and the treasurer provided the financials. The parents never had to worry about any shady financing because the clubs had a procedure in place that worked. By the way, the team manager and the team treasurer were strictly volunteers. Our kids did not get special rates either. We did it out of love and obligation to our kid's activities.

When we moved here, I was shocked at the financial secrecy. We never saw any statements and it was strongly implied that we were not to ask questions. The manager collected the money and we were never given any breakdown of where our money went. It turns out that when someone did finally speak up, the coach was handling the finances. The coach should never be in charge of team finances. I don't know if all clubs down here operate this way or not, but in my opinion, no club should tolerate any form of intimidation when it comes to asking questions relating to the team finances. There is no excuse for keeping secrets.
Excellent comment. I strongly agree.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by PokerPro 27/04/12, 10:57 pm

A little bit different viewpoint.....
I think tournament fees should be built into your annual select club costs. Some might argue at 2400 a year the club should be using a portion of those dues for at least a couple of tournament entries. That would eliminate the type of frustrations we've all likely been thru wondering about fees, guest players, who paid and who didn't, etc...

That coach/club needs to be reported to ntx soccer. It's the right thing to do even if it won't get your daughter back on that team. This coach needs to be accountable and know there are rules to follow and that he can't just do whatever he wants. If all that you say is true this coach has violated many rules. And in my opinion cutting contracted players would violate rule #1. I read back there somewhere that a player was relased in Jan/Feb. Not sure if that was a mutual agreement or what but I got the feeling from the post that the player was cut...sorry you simply can't do that.

This HAS to be a small club being run by "Dad with a God complex"

PokerPro
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by butt3r 28/04/12, 07:27 am

skippy wrote:Reading this story just makes my blood boil! We have a young girl who has done NOTHING wrong and now is told she can't play????? I am so sorry to hear this. My hope is that you can find her a good fit on a new team and that you all will be able to put this behind you.

I know my DDs team is run this way, Solar Monte 01. The coach, manager, and treasurer are all separate, so this scenario does occur here as well.
butt3r
butt3r
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by inthenet 28/04/12, 10:19 am

butt3r wrote:

I know my DDs team is run this way, Solar Monte 01. The coach, manager, and treasurer are all separate, so this scenario does occur here as well.

Most teams have separate coach, manager, and treasurer. Frankly, its too much work for anyone to do more than one of those tasks at a time, and do it correctly.

I've never known a coach that wanted anything to do with money.

inthenet
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 28/04/12, 11:04 am

inthenet wrote:

Most teams have separate coach, manager, and treasurer. Frankly, its too much work for anyone to do more than one of those tasks at a time, and do it correctly.

I've never known a coach that wanted anything to do with money.

Having been involved with 5 well-known clubs over the years, they all were set up this way. There were times you would question certain fees but whether you thought them entirely fair or not, they were always clearly spelled out. Also, as a club admin you didn't want your coaches involved with money simply to avoid even the thought of favoritism or impropriety. I have known coaches who would love to have control of finances - very bad idea.
Gunner9
Gunner9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by texasam74 29/04/12, 09:32 am

Its Me wrote:

I believe that this forumn should be a place you can ask questions about select/academy situations. I've had kids in select for 5 or 6 years and the first time I heard that we had to pay for our coaches room and meals I was shocked. So, I think your question was fair and this should be the correct spot to answer questions.

However, in the future I would reread your post to verify that no one can identify you. Smile
I would NOT mention the coach or team name. Just like you're doing, take the high road and mark this as experience.
Also, you don't want your DD going to the new team and parents talking about your post and marking you as a troublemaker. NTX soccer community is a smaller world.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll find a better team for your daughter.
Teams are always looking for good keepers.

texasam74
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next