North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Join Heath Soccer Academy (Rockwall area)29/08/24, 10:58 pmsocroc
Join Heath Soccer Academy (Rockwall area)29/08/24, 11:02 amsocroc
09/10 COMPETITIVE TEAM IN ROCKWALL AREA17/08/24, 02:26 amJumpman
Last call Solar 09/10 Rockwall22/07/24, 10:48 amsocroc
Last call Solar 09 Rockwall22/07/24, 10:15 amsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 08:15 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 06:35 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 05:18 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)26/06/24, 10:29 amsocroc
2008G Dallas Texans Tryouts (Final 1-2 spots)26/06/24, 10:20 amDallas Texans East
2008G Dallas Texans Tryouts 26/06/24, 09:52 amDallas Texans East
Solar 07 Spear DII Classic League 25/06/24, 01:42 pmsocroc
Solar 06B RL and DI Classic 25/06/24, 01:34 pmsocroc
RSC 11' GCL w/Coach Adam23/06/24, 01:15 pmacst
Oh Yeah! movin' on UP 09's23/06/24, 09:58 amacst
Open Practice 20/06/24, 10:00 amCoach Jim
BvB '06 Gold D-1 Coach Chris Obara formerly with Ayses 17/06/24, 11:18 amBiroBiro
Renegades 2016G and 2017G North Blanton16/06/24, 06:30 pmtareyncarol
FCP Dynamos 2010B - Looking For Players16/06/24, 05:02 pmfcpcoach
Solar 2014B Williams - White - Needing 2 more players09/06/24, 02:39 pmMarvelousmar
RSC ELITE CAC09/06/24, 12:10 pmacst
RSC 08Clark02/06/24, 05:43 pmacst
Sting 2011 Boys ECNL RL NTX02/06/24, 06:17 amJumpman
NTX Celtic 2011B ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 11:04 pmFSFFL
NTX Celtic 06/07G ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 10:49 pmFSFFL

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Kickball and South Texas Pixel
Statistics
We have 15806 registered users
The newest registered user is Karly

Our users have posted a total of 205242 messages in 32019 subjects

Kickball and South Texas

Go down

Kickball and South Texas Empty Kickball and South Texas

Post by timmyh 05/06/17, 01:26 pm

I noticed something this weekend at the Challenge Shootout tournament. When I walked by the '06 and '07 age groups, they were doing something so unusual I stopped to ask about it...

There was a "build out line" about 30 yards from the goal line. Every time the keeper had the ball (either a goal kick or secured it with their hands), the other team had to retreat behind the build out line. No punting or long goal kicks were allowed. The keeper was supposed to wait for the other team to retreat, and then would play the ball wide to a full back, and then once the first touch was taken, the defending team could cross the line and press.

What was unusual was how I saw teams play. Every single South Texas team I saw (maybe 4-5 different ones) would play the ball wide to the full back, then attempt to connect short or medium range passes to feet to escape their own third. Every single North Texas team I saw (maybe 3-4 different ones...mostly Sting and D'Feeters) would play the ball wide to a full back, who would then immediately kick the ball as far as they could (or the keeper would just set the ball at their feet - since punting wasn't allowed - and kick it as far as they could). I thought the way the South Texas teams were trying to play was fantastic to watch. It didn't always work, and they'd turn the ball over in their own half about as often as they'd escape, but they were all legitimately trying to play out of the back.

Is the reason that North Texas teams just booted it far because these rules are unusual to us and we simply aren't used to them, or are North Texas rules the same at these ages and we just choose to boot it long because that's more likely to be a winning strategy at these younger ages?

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Kickball and South Texas Empty Re: Kickball and South Texas

Post by USWNT_or_BUST 05/06/17, 01:42 pm

The pit outdoor league in Plano also has the same line and rules. Depending on the coach it is sometimes used effectively and so.etimes ignored a d the ball still booted as far as the keeper can kick it.

USWNT_or_BUST
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jogobonito06 05/06/17, 01:44 pm

"I'm not here to develop you, I'm here to win"
jogobonito06
jogobonito06
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Just-a-Keeper 05/06/17, 03:03 pm

We were down in Houston at the beginning of the year and had a different experience. In our games the keeper would play the ball outside of the box and the defender would quickly play the ball to the midfielder sitting on the sideline. The midfielder would then quickly kick the ball as far as possible down the middle of the field as there is no offsides so long as you are in front of the build out line.

I left wondering is this what US Soccer envisioned when they created these rules.

Just-a-Keeper
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SocDad 05/06/17, 03:38 pm

But if every NTX team played the ball out and didn't use the ol' Bootball......

What catch phrase would those teams/coaches use, when they couldn't advertise:  "We play Possession ball style" Razz
SocDad
SocDad
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 05/06/17, 05:39 pm

Just-a-Keeper wrote:We were down in Houston at the beginning of the year and had a different experience. In our games the keeper would play the ball outside of the box and the defender would quickly play the ball to the midfielder sitting on the sideline. The midfielder would then quickly kick the ball as far as possible down the middle of the field as there is no offsides so long as you are in front of the build out line.

I left wondering is this what US Soccer envisioned when they created these rules.

Wondering if maybe the South Texas teams in the time since your experience in January - having had another 3 months of "development" - now are able to do it more properly? Maybe your take on things in January (ugly) and my take on things this week (I wouldn't quite call it pretty, but it was at least in the ballpark) is even MORE reason to implement it?

If what we're both saying is true, Just-a-Keeper, then the purpose for why I imagine the rule was implemented (start teaching how to play out of the back and stop encouraging the kid with the biggest foot to "kick it super far to the big fast girl up top") is working exactly as intended for STX.

So if the PIT plays this way, does that mean this rule isn't a universal rule for all leagues (LH or JDL)? I left convinced that it should be. At least until the ages (U12, right?) when they can start heading the ball.

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Just-a-Keeper 05/06/17, 06:06 pm

Well my disclaimer...I am no rules expert nor do I have a desire to research this.

It is my understanding the build out line, no punting, no throw ins are all part of the US Soccer rules that passed when AP was passed.  If memory serves me correctly US Soccer implemented a date for all sanctioning bodies to comply.  South Texas (or at least Houston) chose to begin implementing the rules immediately.  So yes these teams have had 6 months to adapt and adjust but most importantly it is up to the coaches to teach and educate our youth.  I am sure you will still find teams/coaches who teach the kickball method down south just as there are those coaches here up north.  

We played in San Antonio a few weeks ago and only the academy age groups were playing the build out line...so who knows what is going on down south.

Last edited by Just-a-Keeper on 06/06/17, 09:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Just-a-Keeper
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 06/06/17, 08:54 am

Just-a-Keeper wrote:Well my disclaimer...I am no rules expert nor do I have a desire to research this.

It my understanding the build out line, no punting, no throw ins are all part of the US Soccer rules that passed when AP was passed. If memory serves me correctly US Soccer implemented a date for all sanctioning bodies to comply. South Texas (or at least Houston) chose to begin implementing the rules immediately. So yes these teams have had 6 months to adapt and adjust but most importantly it is up to the coaches to teach and educate our youth. I am sure you will still find teams/coaches who teach the kickball method down south just as there are those coaches here up north.

We played in San Antonio a few weeks ago and only the academy she groups were playing the build out line...so who knows what is going on down south.

I do remember that now. So will the US Soccer rules for younger ages be implemented everywhere beginning this fall? Will LH and JDL put them in place, or will they do their own thing?

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by brett79 06/06/17, 09:27 am

Attached are the initiatives for small sided soccer through U12. This size of the field are ridiculously small, especially for u11 and u12 where a good punt by the goalie or kick by a defender can put the ball completely at the other end of the field to be handled by the other goalkeeper. Makes possession-style soccer a joke. And what kid in academy (u6 through u12) doesn't care about winning or losing. It is why these kids aren't in rec anymore. And to go to a tourney and not have champions...really????

https://usys-assets.ae-admin.com/assets/1/3/PDI%20September%202016%20FINAL1.pdf

brett79
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by wittymgr 06/06/17, 09:34 am

Isn't the build-out line only in 7v7 for U-9 & U-10? JDL and LH are for U-11 and older (9v9).

https://www.ussoccer.com/~/media/files/coaches/player-dev-initiatives/pdi-february-2017.pdf?la=en
wittymgr
wittymgr
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccertard 11/06/17, 02:49 pm

Nothing wrong with smashing the ball up the field. If Vulture Vic's DD is playing up top it's preferred to smash the ball up to her, so she can...score
soccertard
soccertard
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down