North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Join Heath Soccer Academy (Rockwall area)29/08/24, 10:58 pmsocroc
Join Heath Soccer Academy (Rockwall area)29/08/24, 11:02 amsocroc
09/10 COMPETITIVE TEAM IN ROCKWALL AREA17/08/24, 02:26 amJumpman
Last call Solar 09/10 Rockwall22/07/24, 10:48 amsocroc
Last call Solar 09 Rockwall22/07/24, 10:15 amsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 08:15 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 06:35 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 05:18 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)26/06/24, 10:29 amsocroc
2008G Dallas Texans Tryouts (Final 1-2 spots)26/06/24, 10:20 amDallas Texans East
2008G Dallas Texans Tryouts 26/06/24, 09:52 amDallas Texans East
Solar 07 Spear DII Classic League 25/06/24, 01:42 pmsocroc
Solar 06B RL and DI Classic 25/06/24, 01:34 pmsocroc
RSC 11' GCL w/Coach Adam23/06/24, 01:15 pmacst
Oh Yeah! movin' on UP 09's23/06/24, 09:58 amacst
Open Practice 20/06/24, 10:00 amCoach Jim
BvB '06 Gold D-1 Coach Chris Obara formerly with Ayses 17/06/24, 11:18 amBiroBiro
Renegades 2016G and 2017G North Blanton16/06/24, 06:30 pmtareyncarol
FCP Dynamos 2010B - Looking For Players16/06/24, 05:02 pmfcpcoach
Solar 2014B Williams - White - Needing 2 more players09/06/24, 02:39 pmMarvelousmar
RSC ELITE CAC09/06/24, 12:10 pmacst
RSC 08Clark02/06/24, 05:43 pmacst
Sting 2011 Boys ECNL RL NTX02/06/24, 06:17 amJumpman
NTX Celtic 2011B ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 11:04 pmFSFFL
NTX Celtic 06/07G ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 10:49 pmFSFFL

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

02 Week 5 Rankings Pixel
Statistics
We have 15806 registered users
The newest registered user is Karly

Our users have posted a total of 205242 messages in 32019 subjects

02 Week 5 Rankings

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

02 Week 5 Rankings Empty 02 Week 5 Rankings

Post by AP Pollster 14/03/11, 12:24 am

Starting this thread in an attempt to see if we can get a few brave souls to rank the top 30. If we do this than we can consolidate and combine with the FBR to make our very own 02 BCS rankings.
AP Pollster
AP Pollster
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

02 Week 5 Rankings Empty Re: 02 Week 5 Rankings

Post by AP Pollster 14/03/11, 01:35 am

This is my attempt to rank the top 30. I will rank them according to who I think would win if they played a game against each other today. This has nothing to do with the actually quality of soccer that is played by each team. If I ranked them that way than many of the top teams would make a drastic fall to the bottom of the polls (it is very sad, but true)

1. SRSA Webb
2. FCD Grubb
3. Rowdies
4. Solar Stav
5. Solar Dynamo Stark
6. DT Glotz
7. Fever FC Penn
8. DT South Adames
9. DT North Rangel
10. D'Feeters Searls
11. Solar East Barnes
12. TFC Elite Wells
13. Solar Tarrant Claros
14. Andromeda Patterson
15. DT Academy Vigil
16. FC Dallas Renfro
17. Waco Lady Blast Perez
18. Polaris Finger
19. TFC Angell
20. GSSC Thunder Wichman
21. FC Dallas West Kim
22. TFC Wells
23. Fort Worth FC Potts
24. Sting West O'Keefe
25. Dynasty SC Krzeminski

Please let me know if I made any obvious errors
AP Pollster
AP Pollster
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/03/11, 06:30 am

Hahahahaaaaa.

Back to top Go down

Post by Inspired 14/03/11, 09:32 am

Why Fort Worth FC over Sting Okeefe and Dynasty. Just look at there games head to head last season not favorable for FC and I am pretty sure they lost 2 pretty good players during the winter. Also Polaris is pretty high with respect to their arlington standings and the fact that they have not played any strong competition in Primetime yet. I believe Waco Blast could be higher some very strong players down there.

Inspired
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AP Pollster 14/03/11, 03:21 pm

WEML wrote:Hahahahaaaaa.
what is funny?
AP Pollster
AP Pollster
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AP Pollster 14/03/11, 03:24 pm

Inspired wrote:Why Fort Worth FC over Sting Okeefe and Dynasty. Just look at there games head to head last season not favorable for FC and I am pretty sure they lost 2 pretty good players during the winter. Also Polaris is pretty high with respect to their arlington standings and the fact that they have not played any strong competition in Primetime yet. I believe Waco Blast could be higher some very strong players down there.
Just my generic first try. Thanks for the info. I will try to get them better as time goes on and more games get played.
AP Pollster
AP Pollster
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/03/11, 03:58 pm

AP Pollster wrote:
what is funny?

02 Week 5 Rankings Tumblr_lhjwlgsh3p1qcn458o1_500

Back to top Go down

Post by redcard99 14/03/11, 05:56 pm

Three Solar teams in top five. Sure, you would prob. like my ranking a little better.

1. Solar Webb
2. Solar Stav
3. Solar Dynamos
4. Solar Barnes
5. Solar
6. Solar
7. Solar
8. Solar
9. Solar
10. Solar

redcard99
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/03/11, 07:24 pm

giggedy wrote:
AP Pollster wrote:
what is funny?
You gave me a good chuckle. You said if they played today. How about if they have played in the last month? Do those wins count and factor into your opinion? Wait, don't answer, because by your ranking here, I have it.
02 Week 5 Rankings Tumblr_lhjwlgsh3p1qcn458o1_500

Back to top Go down

Post by AP Pollster 14/03/11, 09:19 pm

redcard, relax man. I didn't even realize that solar had three in the top five. I'm just thinking about the teams. I guess I'm just not all "club sensitive".

WEML- I'm just trying to get some rankings going. I don't claim that they are perfect. I tried to give an objective "snap shot" of where I thought teams stand. Give me a bit of a break. I'm new to this, not claiming to be a seasoned vet.

What's your opinion? Where did I go wrong?
AP Pollster
AP Pollster
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/03/11, 09:26 pm

Why are you starting a ranking like this when one was just started that is actually based on stats? If it is going to be opinion-based then every club is going to say they should be in the top 5 and rank above other teams that have beaten them. Rankings should solely be on who you have played and the outcome of that game/season. This list is not reflective of that approach.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/03/11, 09:59 pm

AP Pollster wrote:redcard, relax man. I didn't even realize that solar had three in the top five. I'm just thinking about the teams. I guess I'm just not all "club sensitive".

WEML- I'm just trying to get some rankings going. I don't claim that they are perfect. I tried to give an objective "snap shot" of where I thought teams stand. Give me a bit of a break. I'm new to this, not claiming to be a seasoned vet.

Now those are some DoubleDDs. Good work!

Back to top Go down

Post by AP Pollster 15/03/11, 12:10 am

WEML wrote:Why are you starting a ranking like this when one was just started that is actually based on stats? If it is going to be opinion-based then every club is going to say they should be in the top 5 and rank above other teams that have beaten them. Rankings should solely be on who you have played and the outcome of that game/season. This list is not reflective of that approach.

Because if we want the BCS rankings like the 01's we have to have a few pollsters willing to do some rankings.

bwgophers please help me out here. Please explain to the 02's how your magic works.
AP Pollster
AP Pollster
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AP Pollster 15/03/11, 12:32 am

DoubleDD wrote:
AP Pollster wrote:redcard, relax man. I didn't even realize that solar had three in the top five. I'm just thinking about the teams. I guess I'm just not all "club sensitive".

Now those are some DoubleDDs. Good work!
I'm glad my avatar was able to help you rub one out DoubleDD! affraid
AP Pollster
AP Pollster
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/03/11, 03:58 am

You know there probably are some other sites that you can talk all the vulgarity you want on. It's disgusting on a forum that is intended to talk about soccer for little girls.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/03/11, 08:54 am

AP Pollster wrote:
WEML wrote:Why are you starting a ranking like this when one was just started that is actually based on stats? If it is going to be opinion-based then every club is going to say they should be in the top 5 and rank above other teams that have beaten them. Rankings should solely be on who you have played and the outcome of that game/season. This list is not reflective of that approach.

Because if we want the BCS rankings like the 01's we have to have a few pollsters willing to do some rankings.

bwgophers please help me out here. Please explain to the 02's how your magic works.

Well, first of all, and most importantly, I'm not here to "push" anything onto the '02's. That's why I put a poll out there to see if the '02's wanted to even see FBR rankings. Got >80% positive response, so I'll post 'em. Beyond that, I am going to sit back and let you '02 parents dictate what you want to see.

The '01 parents are a particularly rabid bunch and during the U9 year, there was a lot of debate over ranking and ranking methods and which was "better" or more valid. Truth is, no ranking method is inherently "better". They are just different. Different points of emphasis, different strengths and weaknesses. The "BCS" was just a way to capture these different points of view and different emphasis and combine them into an average or consensus ranking. No magic beyond that.

I'll leave it up to the '02 parents to determine if they are as passionate (euphemism for "over the top") about rankings as the '01's are. If you decide to come up with another ranking system or systems, whether it's a human poll or another computer based system, and you want to combine them into an average "BCS Type" of ranking, I've offered to help as the FBR software makes it very easy to do.

But, if you are looking for someone to say that you "need to", or "should have", or "it would be better if you had", human polls and/or a BCS for the '02's... sorry, I'm not your guy. That's totally up to the '02 parents.

Back to top Go down

Post by anothercrazysoccerdad 15/03/11, 09:39 am

bwgophers wrote:
AP Pollster wrote:

Well, first of all, and most importantly, I'm not here to "push" anything onto the '02's. That's why I put a poll out there to see if the '02's wanted to even see FBR rankings. Got >80% positive response, so I'll post 'em. Beyond that, I am going to sit back and let you '02 parents dictate what you want to see.

The '01 parents are a particularly rabid bunch and during the U9 year, there was a lot of debate over ranking and ranking methods and which was "better" or more valid. Truth is, no ranking method is inherently "better". They are just different. Different points of emphasis, different strengths and weaknesses. The "BCS" was just a way to capture these different points of view and different emphasis and combine them into an average or consensus ranking. No magic beyond that.

I'll leave it up to the '02 parents to determine if they are as passionate (euphemism for "over the top") about rankings as the '01's are. If you decide to come up with another ranking system or systems, whether it's a human poll or another computer based system, and you want to combine them into an average "BCS Type" of ranking, I've offered to help as the FBR software makes it very easy to do.

But, if you are looking for someone to say that you "need to", or "should have", or "it would be better if you had", human polls and/or a BCS for the '02's... sorry, I'm not your guy. That's totally up to the '02 parents.

Gophers - I thought your software rankings would incorporate a couple of human polls to get the combined BCS style rankings? If so, then you need a couple of weekly published human polls to mix in to your software? Is this correct? Roid Rage has been publishing his poll each week, and then AP Pollster could be incorporated as well? I don't know exactly how it works for the 01's.

anothercrazysoccerdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/03/11, 11:44 am

anothercrazysoccerdad wrote:
bwgophers wrote:
AP Pollster wrote:

Gophers - I thought your software rankings would incorporate a couple of human polls to get the combined BCS style rankings? If so, then you need a couple of weekly published human polls to mix in to your software? Is this correct? Roid Rage has been publishing his poll each week, and then AP Pollster could be incorporated as well? I don't know exactly how it works for the 01's.

O.K. Maybe I need to clarify things a bit...

"FBR" and "BCS" are completely different rankings.

FBR is a standalone, computer based ranking. It uses only game results and some weighting factors applied to groups of teams (i.e. the ranking tiers), but not individual teams. No human poll information is included in FBR.

Right now, I am only publishing the FBR for the '02's. Other than getting scores reported, I don't need any other outside assistance to compile and publish FBR rankings.

BCS is a composite ranking. For the '01's, it averages together 2 computer rankings (FBR and Power Rankings) and a human poll (which itself is the average of several human "rankers" on the forum).

Nothing says that the '02's must have (or even want to have) a BCS ranking. Furthermore, nothing says that an '02 BCS has to look the same as an '01 BCS.

The bottom line is that each of these rankings requires someone to step up and volunteer their time and effort to compile, maintain, and publish them on the forum. It's not my place to ask anyone to do any of this.

Right now, it looks like the '02's have RoidRage publishing his own human poll, and myself publishing the FBR. We could simply take those 2 polls and average them 50/50 for a "BCS".

If that satisfies the general '02 forum, then great. If not, well, it's up to you guys to figure out what you want to do. I'll take whatever ranking methods you come up with and we'll figure out the best way to combine them with the FBR rankings into an "'02 BCS" rankings that I've offered to maintain and publish.

But again, I'm leaving the final decision in the '02 parents' hands.

Back to top Go down

Post by redcard99 15/03/11, 02:43 pm

bwgophers please dont add any human polls to your computer rankings. I hear these people say we need BCS style rankings. No we dont. If they want to do human polls on the side then so be it. If you 50/50 them with yours(not good) Hell you have AP Pollster wanting to add his human ranking on what would happen if they played today not what has happened this season. That might just be the dumbest thing I have heard all year. Imagine if College Football did that. "Well we think USC would beat CAL if they played today, so we will rank USC higher even though CAL crushed them in Nov." That is a man with an agenda clearly. So please keep your poll seperate. Just the way I see it.

redcard99
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BabyArm 15/03/11, 03:49 pm

AP Pollster wrote:This is my attempt to rank the top 30. I will rank them according to who I think would win if they played a game against each other today. This has nothing to do with the actually quality of soccer that is played by each team. If I ranked them that way than many of the top teams would make a drastic fall to the bottom of the polls (it is very sad, but true)

1. SRSA Webb
2. FCD Grubb
3. Rowdies
4. Solar Stav
5. Solar Dynamo Stark
6. DT Glotz
7. Fever FC Penn
8. DT South Adames
9. DT North Rangel
10. D'Feeters Searls
11. Solar East Barnes
12. TFC Elite Wells
13. Solar Tarrant Claros
14. Andromeda Patterson
15. DT Academy Vigil
16. FC Dallas Renfro
17. Waco Lady Blast Perez
18. Polaris Finger
19. TFC Angell
20. GSSC Thunder Wichman
21. FC Dallas West Kim
22. TFC Wells
23. Fort Worth FC Potts
24. Sting West O'Keefe
25. Dynasty SC Krzeminski

Please let me know if I made any obvious errors

Is Fusion (Duke) not playing much? That seems odd since her Navy & White 01 teams play anyone, anytime. From what I've seen in past her 02 team had some REALLY good players.
BabyArm
BabyArm
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by OrangeBlooded 16/03/11, 08:54 am

redcard99 wrote:bwgophers please dont add any human polls to your computer rankings. I hear these people say we need BCS style rankings. No we dont. If they want to do human polls on the side then so be it. If you 50/50 them with yours(not good) Hell you have AP Pollster wanting to add his human ranking on what would happen if they played today not what has happened this season. That might just be the dumbest thing I have heard all year. Imagine if College Football did that. "Well we think USC would beat CAL if they played today, so we will rank USC higher even though CAL crushed them in Nov." That is a man with an agenda clearly. So please keep your poll seperate. Just the way I see it.

Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. With CFB, the team roster is basically set for the entire year and if a team stinks at the beginning of the season, they will likely stink by the end. With Academy soccer, rosters can change on a monthly, if not weekly, basis and player development is at a much faster rate the a CFB player. Players move, teams develop, coaches change, etc. both during the season and in the off season. So yeah - what happened 1-2 months ago could very well be different from what would happen today. And that will continue to be the case until your girls reach U11 select.

Gophers and hobbit have done an EXCELLENT job with establishing and polishing their ranking systems. One of the biggest problems the computer rankings have run in to is how far back to go when using data. When the Spring season starts, the rankings are based on data from Fall season and tournaments played (FBR, not Power rankings which are league specific). Most teams have changed (either roster or development) since then and it takes time for those results to be weeded out - so as the season goes on the computer rankings are less "muddied" and by end of the season, the computer rankings look much more clear. Remember - they may be calculated by computers, but the "human" that sets it up determines the data to be used for the results - see earlier example that FBR uses nearly all games played regardless of league or tournament while Power Rankings only use results from a few specific leagues - call it limited subjectivity I guess.

All that being said, subjectivity in human rankings is going to bring out homerism - no doubt (and I define homerism as having favor in your DD's team, club you are affiliated with, a specific coach you like, your DD's best friends team, etc. - not just your DD's team). Human ranking are going to react more to the changes and to the more recent results - our memories are short. You could review just about every '01 ranking used for the BCS calculation and point this out - that's why 01's average all the polls submitted to help try and limit the effect of homeristic rankings - and I think you might be surprised how close this average can get to computer rankings at times. The key is that several pollsters provide commentary to support their rankings and the forum calls out the pollster when they feel something is out of whack. If someone continually comes in with an obvious agenda, they get weeded out and eventually will stop providing rankings.

gophers/mslater and hobbit do a good job of "fairly" determining criteria for their computer rankings, are open to suggestions when things look skewed, and have made "tweeks" to adjust and provide a more realisitc view. Those that have provided rankings for the "human polls" can usually own up to what they post and when all rankings are consolidated in BCS format, it's very difficult to argue with the output of where teams end up ranked.

Like gophers said though, 02's can do it any way they want - if they even care to. I'm just throwing in my .02 from how things have worked for the 01's. Best of luck to you guys and remember it's all in good fun and friendly banter.

Last edited by OrangeBlooded on 16/03/11, 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Gotta show Slata a little love too . . .)
OrangeBlooded
OrangeBlooded
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by AP Pollster 16/03/11, 10:12 am

OB, very well said. Thanks for making things clearer.
AP Pollster
AP Pollster
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdad19 16/03/11, 12:58 pm

redcard99 wrote:bwgophers please dont add any human polls to your computer rankings. I hear these people say we need BCS style rankings. No we dont. If they want to do human polls on the side then so be it. If you 50/50 them with yours(not good) Hell you have AP Pollster wanting to add his human ranking on what would happen if they played today not what has happened this season. That might just be the dumbest thing I have heard all year. Imagine if College Football did that. "Well we think USC would beat CAL if they played today, so we will rank USC higher even though CAL crushed them in Nov." That is a man with an agenda clearly. So please keep your poll seperate. Just the way I see it.

Redcard - relax a little, I think you are taking the comments by how AP Pollster ranked the teams a little too "literal". Obviously to decide who the best team is this week, you have to account for what they have done over the last few games, weeks, or even months. Teams get better and change throughout the season. That's why polls are published and updated each week, based on who the pollsters think are the best team and ranking them as such that week. The rankings are an opinion based on the most recent results, as well as the body of work for the season. I think it is inherently given, you rank the teams according to who you think is the best team at that time based on all the information you have, and thus who would win if they played each other, and ranking them top to bottom. This is true for College Football as well as the North Texas Academy Girls Soccer "Official" polls. In fact, your example happens all the time in College Football. A team gets ranked higher than a team that has beat them earlier in the season, based on the rest of the season, their record, who beat who, and how they are playing at that time the poll is submitted and published. It is a point of debate all the time in College Football.

I like the human polls, and how the 01's have averaged the human polls and then mixed the human polls average with the FBR computer polls for the "BCS" ranking. I know AP Pollster, and we discussed the adding of another poll to average with Roid Rage for the 02 BCS rankings. I think BWgohpers and OB have explained it well. If you have a major problem with the human polls, please state your differences when they are published, and the pollster can explain why a team is ranked a certain way, in their view. The human polls published on this forum are usually pretty close from what I have seen, IMO. They are constantly changing. I suggested AP Pollster add a poll, as AP Pollster has some soccer experience, and has seen many of these teams play. Besides, it is a silly ranking on an online forum, of 8-9 year old girls playing soccer, by a bunch of over zealous parents with not enough to do anyway. I am as guilty as anyone on here. Seems a little silly when reading those last sentences, but it is still a fun timewaster.

soccerdad19
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdad19 16/03/11, 12:59 pm

OrangeBlooded wrote:

Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. With CFB, the team roster is basically set for the entire year and if a team stinks at the beginning of the season, they will likely stink by the end. With Academy soccer, rosters can change on a monthly, if not weekly, basis and player development is at a much faster rate the a CFB player. Players move, teams develop, coaches change, etc. both during the season and in the off season. So yeah - what happened 1-2 months ago could very well be different from what would happen today. And that will continue to be the case until your girls reach U11 select.

Gophers and hobbit have done an EXCELLENT job with establishing and polishing their ranking systems. One of the biggest problems the computer rankings have run in to is how far back to go when using data. When the Spring season starts, the rankings are based on data from Fall season and tournaments played (FBR, not Power rankings which are league specific). Most teams have changed (either roster or development) since then and it takes time for those results to be weeded out - so as the season goes on the computer rankings are less "muddied" and by end of the season, the computer rankings look much more clear. Remember - they may be calculated by computers, but the "human" that sets it up determines the data to be used for the results - see earlier example that FBR uses nearly all games played regardless of league or tournament while Power Rankings only use results from a few specific leagues - call it limited subjectivity I guess.

All that being said, subjectivity in human rankings is going to bring out homerism - no doubt (and I define homerism as having favor in your DD's team, club you are affiliated with, a specific coach you like, your DD's best friends team, etc. - not just your DD's team). Human ranking are going to react more to the changes and to the more recent results - our memories are short. You could review just about every '01 ranking used for the BCS calculation and point this out - that's why 01's average all the polls submitted to help try and limit the effect of homeristic rankings - and I think you might be surprised how close this average can get to computer rankings at times. The key is that several pollsters provide commentary to support their rankings and the forum calls out the pollster when they feel something is out of whack. If someone continually comes in with an obvious agenda, they get weeded out and eventually will stop providing rankings.

gophers/mslater and hobbit do a good job of "fairly" determining criteria for their computer rankings, are open to suggestions when things look skewed, and have made "tweeks" to adjust and provide a more realisitc view. Those that have provided rankings for the "human polls" can usually own up to what they post and when all rankings are consolidated in BCS format, it's very difficult to argue with the output of where teams end up ranked.

Like gophers said though, 02's can do it any way they want - if they even care to. I'm just throwing in my .02 from how things have worked for the 01's. Best of luck to you guys and remember it's all in good fun and friendly banter.

Agreed, seems to work well for the 01's, why not use the same format for the 02's?

soccerdad19
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TorquauyU 17/03/11, 03:05 pm

AP Pollster wrote:OB, very well said. Thanks for making things clearer.
please post more. i need more of that avatar.

“Sometimes life seems like a dream, especially when I look down and see that I forgot to put on my pants” jack handy
TorquauyU
TorquauyU
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next