North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Join Heath Soccer Academy (Rockwall area)29/08/24, 10:58 pmsocroc
Join Heath Soccer Academy (Rockwall area)29/08/24, 11:02 amsocroc
09/10 COMPETITIVE TEAM IN ROCKWALL AREA17/08/24, 02:26 amJumpman
Last call Solar 09/10 Rockwall22/07/24, 10:48 amsocroc
Last call Solar 09 Rockwall22/07/24, 10:15 amsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 08:15 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 06:35 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 05:18 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)26/06/24, 10:29 amsocroc
2008G Dallas Texans Tryouts (Final 1-2 spots)26/06/24, 10:20 amDallas Texans East
2008G Dallas Texans Tryouts 26/06/24, 09:52 amDallas Texans East
Solar 07 Spear DII Classic League 25/06/24, 01:42 pmsocroc
Solar 06B RL and DI Classic 25/06/24, 01:34 pmsocroc
RSC 11' GCL w/Coach Adam23/06/24, 01:15 pmacst
Oh Yeah! movin' on UP 09's23/06/24, 09:58 amacst
Open Practice 20/06/24, 10:00 amCoach Jim
BvB '06 Gold D-1 Coach Chris Obara formerly with Ayses 17/06/24, 11:18 amBiroBiro
Renegades 2016G and 2017G North Blanton16/06/24, 06:30 pmtareyncarol
FCP Dynamos 2010B - Looking For Players16/06/24, 05:02 pmfcpcoach
Solar 2014B Williams - White - Needing 2 more players09/06/24, 02:39 pmMarvelousmar
RSC ELITE CAC09/06/24, 12:10 pmacst
RSC 08Clark02/06/24, 05:43 pmacst
Sting 2011 Boys ECNL RL NTX02/06/24, 06:17 amJumpman
NTX Celtic 2011B ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 11:04 pmFSFFL
NTX Celtic 06/07G ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 10:49 pmFSFFL

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Powerade Fab 50 Rankings - Page 10 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15806 registered users
The newest registered user is Karly

Our users have posted a total of 205242 messages in 32019 subjects

Powerade Fab 50 Rankings

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Powerade Fab 50 Rankings - Page 10 Empty Re: Powerade Fab 50 Rankings

Post by Spinal Tap 10/04/12, 11:05 am

Uncle Numanga wrote:Ursuline and Country Day wouldn't be in the Top 20 DFW teams if they played a 5A schedule.

I think the DD, our Danish girls in for the Int'l Cup and I are going to go to the Marcus v. Coppell game this evening. Should be a good one.

Funny -- they used to say the same thing about Jesuit... lol!

Spinal Tap
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SeaShephard 10/04/12, 01:53 pm

Frogfan1 wrote:
Ferris wrote:
Uncle Numanga wrote:Ursuline and Country Day wouldn't be in the Top 20 DFW teams if they played a 5A schedule.
I'm pretty sure you're right about Country Day. Not sure about Ursuline. I haven't seen either play, but I know the reason he ranks Ursuline so highly is because of their performance at NEPS (where they beat American Heritage-Del Ray 3-0 (#2 in final Florida ranking), Arlington Martin 4-2 (a 5-A playoff team) and Kingwood 4-0 (#10 in Texas currently). Not bad results. Their only losses were in tight games against Marcus and Plano West. That's why he sandwiches them between Plano West and Kingwood in the rankings.

I think Urusline probably belongs in the top 20, I just think most top teams in district 7-5A and 8-5A would do well against them if given the chance. I would probably place them around #15 or so.

Not true about Ursuline. They would compete for the state championship virtually every year if they were in 5A. Just look at their college signees every year.

You may have a great great point here. How can I find their collegiate soccer signees for the last several years? It would be interesting to see how successful their graduates are in the college game.
SeaShephard
SeaShephard
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferris 11/04/12, 12:38 pm

Spinal Tap wrote:

Funny -- they used to say the same thing about Jesuit...
Speaking of Jesuit...anyone know if Ursuline is planning on making the jump over to 5A/UIL competition anytime in the near future??? After 22 straight TAPPS titles and no real competition (other than occasional tournament games against 5A/UIL teams), I would think Ursuline would be looking to prove themselves on a bigger stage in the same way that Jesuit has done. Anyone?
Ferris
Ferris
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Spinal Tap 11/04/12, 03:01 pm

Ferris wrote:
Spinal Tap wrote:

Speaking of Jesuit...anyone know if Ursuline is planning on making the jump over to 5A/UIL competition anytime in the near future??? After 22 straight TAPPS titles and no real competition (other than occasional tournament games against 5A/UIL teams), I would think Ursuline would be looking to prove themselves on a bigger stage in the same way that Jesuit has done. Anyone?

Doubt it. Too many hoops to jump through (see Jesuit lawsuit). Plus, I don't think "proving themselves on a bigger stage" in soccer would rank real high on the school's priority list.
Spinal Tap
Spinal Tap
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferris 11/04/12, 03:10 pm

Spinal Tap wrote:
Ferris wrote:
Spinal Tap wrote:

Doubt it. Too many hoops to jump through (see Jesuit lawsuit). Plus, I don't think "proving themselves on a bigger stage" in soccer would rank real high on the school's priority list.

Fair point...not a high priority anywhere per se...just wasn't sure if it was in the works or not. Hadn't heard about the suit.... :/
Ferris
Ferris
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Spinal Tap 11/04/12, 03:16 pm

Ferris wrote:
Spinal Tap wrote:
Ferris wrote:
Spinal Tap wrote:

Fair point...not a high priority anywhere per se...just wasn't sure if it was in the works or not. Hadn't heard about the suit.... :/

It was a long and nasty process Mad

I do think UA would be very competitive in soccer. Other sports -- probably not so much... What a Face
Spinal Tap
Spinal Tap
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 11/04/12, 03:18 pm

Ferris wrote:
Spinal Tap wrote:

Big Fish, Little Pond
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Frogfan1 11/04/12, 06:34 pm

[quote="Uncle Numanga"]
Ferris wrote:
Spinal Tap wrote:

Its possible.
Frogfan1
Frogfan1
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerbop 11/04/12, 11:22 pm

DD played in 8-5A (for playoff school) before transferring to Ursuline. I’d put Ursuline in the top 10 Texas teams pretty comfortably. Probably more like top 5 most years. I think the earlier Jesuit example is an accurate one. Perennial playoff school….contend most years for a spot in the regional tournament….win some regional championships along the way as well an occasional state championship. That's in 5A. If you went by enrollment (800 students) and put Ursuline in 3A or 4A, you'd be looking at a Final 4 or state championship most years, I think. But don’t look for a move to UIL anytime soon. Even if Soccer could do well, most other team sports would struggle mightily.

Right now, Ursuline is definitely a big fish in the TAPPS small pond. They’d still be a big fish in UIL. Six players from last year’s team went on to play at D1 schools (BC, Belmont, McNeese State, Arkansas State, Baylor, Central Arkansas) and four players so far have signed with D1 schools from this year’s team (BC, Missouri, TCU, Tulsa). If Ursuline falls short anywhere, it’s that their TAPPS schedule doesn’t prepare them for the physical punishment that the best 5A teams like Marcus or Plano West can hand out. Doesn’t mean they can’t win – just makes it tougher. The games against Plano West and Marcus this season could have gone either way but the real objective was always to toughen up for the TAPPS playoffs and win another state championship.
soccerbop
soccerbop
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferris 12/04/12, 01:04 am

Great insights Soccerbop. Thanks for sharing. Good/fair points across the board...
Ferris
Ferris
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 02/05/12, 12:08 pm

soccerbop wrote:DD played in 8-5A (for playoff school) before transferring to Ursuline. I’d put Ursuline in the top 10 Texas teams pretty comfortably. Probably more like top 5 most years. I think the earlier Jesuit example is an accurate one. Perennial playoff school….contend most years for a spot in the regional tournament….win some regional championships along the way as well an occasional state championship. That's in 5A. If you went by enrollment (800 students) and put Ursuline in 3A or 4A, you'd be looking at a Final 4 or state championship most years, I think. But don’t look for a move to UIL anytime soon. Even if Soccer could do well, most other team sports would struggle mightily.

Right now, Ursuline is definitely a big fish in the TAPPS small pond. They’d still be a big fish in UIL. Six players from last year’s team went on to play at D1 schools (BC, Belmont, McNeese State, Arkansas State, Baylor, Central Arkansas) and four players so far have signed with D1 schools from this year’s team (BC, Missouri, TCU, Tulsa). If Ursuline falls short anywhere, it’s that their TAPPS schedule doesn’t prepare them for the physical punishment that the best 5A teams like Marcus or Plano West can hand out. Doesn’t mean they can’t win – just makes it tougher. The games against Plano West and Marcus this season could have gone either way but the real objective was always to toughen up for the TAPPS playoffs and win another state championship.

When Ursuline played Marcus and Plano West they already had a dozen or so games under their belt playing together. Whereas, PW and Marcus might have had a few scrimmages but NEPS was the very start of their season. Really, Ursuline should have already come together as a team and been prepared for whatever those teams threw at them. While I do believe they would be a perennial favorite in 3A and 4A, I don't think they belong in the conversation for best team in North Texas. There are too many better 5A programs.
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Frogfan1 02/05/12, 12:33 pm

Uncle Numanga wrote:
soccerbop wrote:DD played in 8-5A (for playoff school) before transferring to Ursuline. I’d put Ursuline in the top 10 Texas teams pretty comfortably. Probably more like top 5 most years. I think the earlier Jesuit example is an accurate one. Perennial playoff school….contend most years for a spot in the regional tournament….win some regional championships along the way as well an occasional state championship. That's in 5A. If you went by enrollment (800 students) and put Ursuline in 3A or 4A, you'd be looking at a Final 4 or state championship most years, I think. But don’t look for a move to UIL anytime soon. Even if Soccer could do well, most other team sports would struggle mightily.

When Ursuline played Marcus and Plano West they already had a dozen or so games under their belt playing together. Whereas, PW and Marcus might have had a few scrimmages but NEPS was the very start of their season. Really, Ursuline should have already come together as a team and been prepared for whatever those teams threw at them. While I do believe they would be a perennial favorite in 3A and 4A, I don't think they belong in the conversation for best team in North Texas. There are too many better 5A programs.

Year in and year out Ursuline is not only one of the best in Texas but the nation. The proof is their results in the Nolan Showcase and against other 5A public school teams. Also proof is the numerous girls they send to D-1 schools every year without exception. Yes TAPPS starts their season around Nov 1st every year but is that their fault? We can debate weather this year’s Ursuline team was on par with past teams but on a sample size of the last decade or more they belong!
Frogfan1
Frogfan1
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jj4mel 02/05/12, 01:38 pm

Question: I have a long ways before my '03 makes it to high school. I was curious, of the top 1-10 high school teams, how many of those players are on a club team? Is it complicated to share the time between club and high school?

jj4mel
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by KatCon 02/05/12, 01:45 pm

jj4mel wrote:Question: I have a long ways before my '03 makes it to high school. I was curious, of the top 1-10 high school teams, how many of those players are on a club team? Is it complicated to share the time between club and high school?

No, From my understanding club soccer at that age shut downs for the duration of the High School season.
KatCon
KatCon
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenshi Dave 02/05/12, 02:01 pm

Plano West ... all players play Club ... I think all Lake Highlands or ECNL.

All Starters ECNL or Lake Highlands D1 ... 9 Starters ECNL.

Many select players cut during PW tryouts each Fall. If not playing LH level select really not much pf a chance to make this team. I don't necessarily think there is a bias w coaches ... simply quality level makes it tough to make it if not having played at that level.
Kenshi Dave
Kenshi Dave
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by socrocks 02/05/12, 02:58 pm

KatCon wrote:
jj4mel wrote:Question: I have a long ways before my '03 makes it to high school. I was curious, of the top 1-10 high school teams, how many of those players are on a club team? Is it complicated to share the time between club and high school?

No, From my understanding club soccer at that age shut downs for the duration of the High School season.

Not accurate. There are still club practices during the high school season. There are still conflicts...typically during the high school playoff run. And this year there were conflicts: an ECNL event (San Antonio, end of Feb) and Dallas Intl Cup (Easter weekend).
socrocks
socrocks
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by jj4mel 02/05/12, 03:54 pm

Thanks for the info!!

jj4mel
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 02/05/12, 04:07 pm

socrocks wrote:
KatCon wrote:

Not accurate. There are still club practices during the high school season. There are still conflicts...typically during the high school playoff run. And this year there were conflicts: an ECNL event (San Antonio, end of Feb) and Dallas Intl Cup (Easter weekend).

7-5A didn't schedule games on the Friday of the San Antonio ECNL event. The rest of the districts should follow suit.
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by socrocks 02/05/12, 04:30 pm

Agreed. It's a shame the Texas ECNL event has to be in Feb. Otherwise, it would probably mean more time off during the high school season for the ECNL teams. But it's hard to pass on an event that doesn't require air travel.
socrocks
socrocks
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerbop 08/05/12, 02:27 pm

Uncle Numanga wrote:

Can’t fault you for thinking that way and I seriously doubt my ability to convince you otherwise. A couple of years ago, I was you. No one could have changed my mind. All I can tell you is that I’ve been a part of both worlds and have no particular bias towards either system. I really really really miss the depth and week-in/week-out competitiveness of UIL 5A soccer in the Dallas area. But…I just didn’t realize how far Ursuline plays above the rest of TAPPS and the ECNL/Club player pipeline they’ve built that provides really good talent every year for such a small school. I would just say look at the ESPN final TX state ranking #6 through #10 (Boyd, Rowlett, Klein Oak, Kingwood, Grapevine). Ursuline already beat Kingwood 4-0 and I think anybody that objectively looks at the mix of teams and scores against common opponents would say Ursuline comes in on top of this bunch. My original point was that Ursuline could be a top 10 team in 5A consistently - maybe even top 5. I still think that. Unfortunately, until Ursuline starts playing more 5A schools during their regular season, this type of argument will continue.
soccerbop
soccerbop
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 08/05/12, 04:18 pm

soccerbop wrote:
Uncle Numanga wrote:

Can’t fault you for thinking that way and I seriously doubt my ability to convince you otherwise. A couple of years ago, I was you. No one could have changed my mind. All I can tell you is that I’ve been a part of both worlds and have no particular bias towards either system. I really really really miss the depth and week-in/week-out competitiveness of UIL 5A soccer in the Dallas area. But…I just didn’t realize how far Ursuline plays above the rest of TAPPS and the ECNL/Club player pipeline they’ve built that provides really good talent every year for such a small school. I would just say look at the ESPN final TX state ranking #6 through #10 (Boyd, Rowlett, Klein Oak, Kingwood, Grapevine). Ursuline already beat Kingwood 4-0 and I think anybody that objectively looks at the mix of teams and scores against common opponents would say Ursuline comes in on top of this bunch. My original point was that Ursuline could be a top 10 team in 5A consistently - maybe even top 5. I still think that. Unfortunately, until Ursuline starts playing more 5A schools during their regular season, this type of argument will continue.

No way Ursuline tops Boyd.
Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Spinal Tap 08/05/12, 04:44 pm

Lawnboy wrote:
soccerbop wrote:
Uncle Numanga wrote:

No way? No possibility at all? Really? Suspect
Spinal Tap
Spinal Tap
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 08/05/12, 05:24 pm

Spinal Tap wrote:
Lawnboy wrote:
soccerbop wrote:
Uncle Numanga wrote:

Yup.
Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Spinal Tap 08/05/12, 07:41 pm

You're not still upset about Jesuit knocking Boyd out of the playoffs, are you? Wink
Spinal Tap
Spinal Tap
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerbop 09/05/12, 09:50 pm

Lawnboy wrote:
Spinal Tap wrote:
Lawnboy wrote:
soccerbop wrote:
Uncle Numanga wrote:

Yup.
Actually I think Ursuline wins that game - this year anyway. Boyd is a really good team, don’t get me wrong. But if you look at common opponents this season, it definitely provides some clues. Ursuline beat Kingwood 4-0 (Boyd beat them 2-0). Ursuline beat Martin 4-2 (Boyd won 3-0). Ursuline beat FL American Heritage 3-0 (Boyd won 1-0). Throw in the fact that Boyd’s 10-5A district is not incredibly deep (nicest way I can say it) along with damaging losses to Rowlett and A&M Consolidated (if you’re brave go look at who they lost to this season) and I think you’ve actually got a subpar year for Boyd. Certainly enough evidence to suggest Boyd might struggle against Ursuline.

soccerbop
soccerbop
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by John Galt 10/05/12, 09:30 am

soccerbop wrote:
Lawnboy wrote:
Spinal Tap wrote:
Lawnboy wrote:
soccerbop wrote:
Uncle Numanga wrote:

Yup.
Actually I think Ursuline wins that game - this year anyway. Boyd is a really good team, don’t get me wrong. But if you look at common opponents this season, it definitely provides some clues. Ursuline beat Kingwood 4-0 (Boyd beat them 2-0). Ursuline beat Martin 4-2 (Boyd won 3-0). Ursuline beat FL American Heritage 3-0 (Boyd won 1-0). Throw in the fact that Boyd’s 10-5A district is not incredibly deep (nicest way I can say it) along with damaging losses to Rowlett and A&M Consolidated (if you’re brave go look at who they lost to this season) and I think you’ve actually got a subpar year for Boyd. Certainly enough evidence to suggest Boyd might struggle against Ursuline.

Be careful with that objective approach next thing you know someone will question why Grapevine was ranked lower than Carroll. Very Happy
John Galt
John Galt
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next