North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
2010G Renegades GCL ELITE14/05/24, 06:56 pmNickicharriere
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:31 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 04:01 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:55 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:50 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:45 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:40 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:29 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Sunday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:24 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:19 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:12 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:07 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 03:02 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:56 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:51 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:46 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:41 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:35 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:30 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:25 pmsbarton12
Renegades Open Tryouts this Saturday @ Soccer Spectrum14/05/24, 02:19 pmsbarton12
Evolution 2011 Boys Classic League D1 Tryouts09/05/24, 02:21 pmCoach Stuart
EVOLUTION 15B MCGREGOR09/05/24, 02:06 pmLewis McGregor

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Why is there No protection given to Keepers anymore - Page 3 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205203 messages in 31989 subjects

Why is there No protection given to Keepers anymore

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Why is there No protection given to Keepers anymore - Page 3 Empty Re: Why is there No protection given to Keepers anymore

Post by Its Me 28/07/14, 09:51 am

GGoat wrote:Yep 2028 thats what we say also thats why she got the Pk this weekend she is very tough and has had a pk called on her before. She says I dont care how hard they hit and how bad it hurts Im going to get up first and she usually does. The striker will roll around on the ground trying  for a call. Triumph was saying keepers are wimpy not tough and they are afforded too much protection. I guess everyone is missing the point Im making which is Keepers are now fair game and expected to be tougher than all the rest and its normal for them to be run into run over and knocked down and like you said they have to be tough but risk a red card and a pk which will change the outcome of the game. So it is a 2 edged sword in which if the keepers is called with a penalty or red card it effects the game if the forward is called is has very little effect on the game and when was the last time you saw a forward given a red or yellow when not getting to a 50 50 ball first and hitting the keeper I havent seen it in a long time or like soc dad says ever. When a ref says raising you leg too high when she dives for a 1v1 ball the ref is saying to the keeper not to protect themself.  I guess thats why keepers arnt protected any more because it is expected for them to take the hits and be tougher than everyone else.

To answer the question. No, keepers are not fair game and it's the referees job to make sure they protect the keeper as well as the other players. Yes, keepers should control their box.  There has been no change to the Law or the North Texas to say allow the keepers to get tagged during plays.  Will some referees miss the calls, yes.  Will others get it correct, yes. If the situation is where your daughter is getting hit and the level of refereeing is not to your likings.  Then I would recommend you talk to your "coach" and have them ask the assignor to have a referee assessor come out and watch all three referees.

As to people saying keeper have to be tough that is true because it's their job to throw their bodies into situations that will probably hurt as they dive to the ground as everyone's kicking the ball.  However, once they place a "finger" on the ball and take possession.  It's the refs job to be in position to protect the keeper.

Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Why is there No protection given to Keepers anymore - Page 3 Empty Re: Why is there No protection given to Keepers anymore

Post by Its Me 28/07/14, 10:08 am

GGoat wrote:Its me its the same dive her odp, select, high school coaches and colleges camp coaches have taught her to bring you knee to your chest to protect your chest and abd when you are going for a ball on the ground. its taught everywhere just like bringing your knee up when going for a high ball. They have been teaching it keepers for ever. Im saying if your going to call the keeper for not getting to the ball first then you should call the forward for not getting to the ball first also or dont call either and let them play

Ok, that technique is correct. However, after that the question is did the keeper take the player out not allowing them to make a play on the ball. As I explain to every coach before the game if there's a play out there that I make please feel free to say hey ref what was that. I'll come over and attempt to explain my call and "The way I saw it." Most coaches are cool with that. Sometimes they may not agree but I'll always take a second to explain. I also explain that if I'm having to explain every call and it looks like we're becoming BFF then I'll ask him to wait till the half.

We're not perfect but we're trying to do our best in helping the leagues and protecting the players. I don't believe that refs are out there not caring about the players. Have I seen horrible calls from refs, yes. Have I seen excellent control of games from refs, yes.

Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 28/07/14, 10:10 am

Its Me wrote:
Here's what I look for in that situation was: (All within a few seconds during the play)
- Did the keeper touch the ball
- If not, what was his/her position afterwards. Did they tuck to protect themselves or did they make themselves larger?
- Did the leg go up as a natural movement or position?
- Did the keeper raise the leg to keep the player from jumping over her to keep them from playing the ball.
- What age am I reffing?
- What technical level is the game?
- If I call the foul does the keeper deserve a "card".
- Does the game need a card due to previous fouls or temperature of the game?
- If I'm not sure.  Let me take a second to consult with my AR to see what they saw so as to not make a hasty decision.
- Do I give a card because the parents are yelling at me?
  (Just joking here!  I never let the parents or coaches influence my game because it's not fair the other team)

Spot on! The only thing I would add, at the older age groups, is, "Was this a DOGSO?"

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by 2028 28/07/14, 10:14 am

Coach&Ref wrote:
Its Me wrote:
Here's what I look for in that situation was: (All within a few seconds during the play)
- Did the keeper touch the ball
- If not, what was his/her position afterwards. Did they tuck to protect themselves or did they make themselves larger?
- Did the leg go up as a natural movement or position?
- Did the keeper raise the leg to keep the player from jumping over her to keep them from playing the ball.
- What age am I reffing?
- What technical level is the game?
- If I call the foul does the keeper deserve a "card".
- Does the game need a card due to previous fouls or temperature of the game?
- If I'm not sure.  Let me take a second to consult with my AR to see what they saw so as to not make a hasty decision.
- Do I give a card because the parents are yelling at me?
  (Just joking here!  I never let the parents or coaches influence my game because it's not fair the other team)

Spot on! The only thing I would add, at the older age groups, is, [b]"Was this a DOGSO?" Exactly!
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 28/07/14, 10:15 am

Its Me wrote:
However, once they place a "finger" on the ball and take possession.  It's the refs job to be in position to protect the keeper.

I have SPECIFICALLY asked this question and he is right. a FINGER is considered "possession", but it still doesn't make it any easier for the ref.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Lobo55 28/07/14, 09:51 pm

DD has played GK since first grade and is HS age. Plays at the highest level now before college. If she goes down for a ball in a 1v1 it is because she can dive and reach the ball with her hands. If she can not reach with her hands and the ball has not been shot and she goes down she has given up her chance to make the save. She has made her self less mobile without a chance to control the ball. Yes she is tought to make her self big in the dive but she touches the ball first with her hands. If she does not touch the ball first and makes contact with forward, she can be called for a foul. This has never happened. She has table topped many a forward but since she is on the ground early with the ball, she has physics on her side. The forward is flying over tumbling to the ground. Yes her head can get kicked and has. Coaches stress good decisions and once you make one you go for it, never stopping till you control the ball or punch out of danger area. Kick saves are make from ready position not from a slide tackle. It's a response to a shot in a 1v1.

Good luck to your dd. it takes unbelievable courage, thick skin and a short memory to play the position.

Lobo55
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ONLYASOCCERDAD 28/07/14, 10:46 pm

GGoat wrote:Soc dad when was the last time you saw a red card given or even a call made when the keeper gets run into kicked or knocked down when they get to the ball first it rarely ever happens any more thats what im saying in my post

i very seldom see red cards for anything. the reason you seem to be getting so much push back, IMO, is the people you are asking the question of, are not seeing the same issues you are seeing. OR they just see that contact as part of the game. i hope you dd stays safe and things change for her sake. things get more and more physical every season......

ONLYASOCCERDAD
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by orbitzone2000 29/07/14, 01:03 am

I agree with the original poster in this case.

As a keeper myself for 15 + years and the father of a keeper I'm probably a little bias when it comes to these issues. I have found that referees are getting really relaxed in the calls they are giving to the young GK's these days. Make no mistake about it, if the ball resides in the 18 yard box the keeper has the right away. I see this a lot with the aggressive forwards that are being taught and trained to play through the keeper most of the time. I and my DD's keeper coach train her to protect herself at all times. This is because there are a lot of wreckless players that will try and go through a keeper to play a ball. Let's not kid ourselves here. Keepers are at a great disadvantage when it comes to 1v1 situations. They should be protected. Referees are way to quick to award PK's. In almost every situation a keeper should be given the benefit of the doubt unless it's obvious that they have made a wreckless attempt to play the player and not the ball. If a keeper charges and is attempting to make a play on the ball and the forward gets a shot off and said GK does not get a touch on the ball, there after the forwards momentum carries them into the keeper and causing them to go tumbling, I would suggest a no call is deemed in that situation. The keeper has the right to the ball and it is up to the forward to get the shot off and get out of the way. Most good forwards will get out of the way after the shot as they see the keeper coming. Samething on set pcs from the corner or outside the box. Many players are crashing the goal and the keeper goes up to win the ball, I have seen way to many officials allow contact in that situation.

I also want to add the obvious. GK is the hardest position on the field and most physical. Although I'm not condoning the actions of many referees and there erroneous calls on GK's, I will say if your BB or DD plan on being an effective keeper, they must be fearless. Don't be afraid of giving away a PK or getting a card. As long as they are playing the ball they are playing within the perimeters of the rules.

orbitzone2000
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 29/07/14, 01:17 am

WestsideSoccer wrote:
beastmaster wrote:
GGoat wrote:Ok what ever I guess I just made up the fact that she was called for a pk in a 1-1 tied game. The ref stated that she lifted her leg too high when she dove and the other poster made up the fact that the keeper was given a red card in another game this weekend and soc dad made up the fact that in the liverpool game the keeper was laid out and no card was given. I have never said that the position is not safe or she should play another position. The examples I gave happens every weekend here in north texas and a lot of it happened this weekend. The point is when a striker runs into a keeper there is usually no call made and even if the call is made it doesn't have a bearing on the game thats why they keep doing it hoping for a call or a loose ball But when the ref Calls a keeper for raising her leg too high or red carding a keeper and taking them out of a game it changes the entire game. Im sorry your dd got a bruise she should probably stay in the stands for a while. Every game every day strikers run into keepers it is part of the game but refs like you are the problem and continue to let it happen. If your not going to call it when the striker hits the keeper then dont call it when the keeper hits the stikers and change the outcome of the game.Yours and the triumphs comments that my dd not tough enough to play and all that bs just shows what kind of people you are. Yall are probably the stereotypical coaches and refs that give youth soccer a bad name. good luck and good by My question was answered thanks
If my dd lifts her leg high and trips another player I would totally expect her to be called for it. So your point is what? Sounds to me like the ref is correct. Keepers aren't immune from receiving cards.  And in the case of the LP keeper, the ref called it in favor of the keeper. No card was given,  but LP still received the ball.  

Play was stopped since both players were down, BUT..... the LP Keeper made the save and had the ball, even with the contact she held on to the ball!!!!  Made it easy for the ref to give it back to the LP keeper

Thank you west side this is the exact thing I am talking about. If the Lp keeper hadnt got to the ball first most people here think there should be a pk given and or a card given since the keeper didnt get to the ball and the player went down. But she did get to the ball first was ran over and knocked down and no call was made and the keeper got the ball back so that should be good enough right. Wrong there are little to no conscience for the forward to hit the keeper at worst they get a red card and kicked out of the game which rarely happens or they dont call anything like in this case and give the ball back to the keeper. The outcome is the same weather she collides with her or not. At best she knocks the ball loose and scores or gets a call and gets a Pk. The positive far outways the negative and thats why you see it done more often and until the refs start calling it and not thinking like many of the refs on this forum feel that the keeper needs to get tougher or they need to dive or dont dive a certain way it will continue. It is just the way the game has evolved here in North Texas I guess

Last edited by GGoat on 29/07/14, 02:11 am; edited 1 time in total

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 29/07/14, 01:21 am

orbitzone2000 wrote:I agree with the original poster in this case.

As a keeper myself for 15 + years and the father of a keeper I'm probably a little bias when it comes to these issues. I have found that referees are getting really relaxed in the calls they are giving to the young GK's these days. Make no mistake about it, if the ball resides in the 18 yard box the keeper has the right away. I see this a lot with the aggressive forwards that are being taught and trained to play through the keeper most of the time. I and my DD's keeper coach train her to protect herself at all times. This is because there are a lot of wreckless players that will try and go through a keeper to play a ball. Let's not kid ourselves here. Keepers are at a great disadvantage when it comes to 1v1 situations. They should be protected. Referees are way to quick to award PK's. In almost every situation a keeper should be given the benefit of the doubt unless it's obvious that they have made a wreckless attempt to play the player and not the ball. If a keeper charges and is attempting to make a play on the ball and the forward gets a shot off and said GK does not get a touch on the ball, there after the forwards momentum carries them into the keeper and causing them to go tumbling, I would suggest a no call is deemed in that situation. The keeper has the right to the ball and it is up to the forward to get the shot off and get out of the way. Most good forwards will get out of the way after the shot as they see the keeper coming. Samething on set pcs from the corner or outside the box. Many players are crashing the goal and the keeper goes up to win the ball, I have seen way to many officials allow contact in that situation.

I also want to add the obvious. GK is the hardest position on the field and most physical. Although I'm not condoning the actions of many referees and there erroneous calls on GK's, I will say if your BB or DD plan on being an effective keeper, they must be fearless. Don't be afraid of giving away a PK or getting a card. As long as they are playing the ball they are playing within the perimeters of the rules.

You said it so much better than I did thanks

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 29/07/14, 07:00 am

I'll ask again because I'm curious.

GGoat, you mentioned that your daughter has been playing for 7 years. What age group is your daughter playing and what division?
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29/07/14, 07:54 am

This is nonsense on so many levels. First you haven't read the LOTG . The keeper doesnt have anymore right to the ball than anyone else in the field. The reason most fwds get out of the way is because keepers at the top level are typically among the biggest and most aggressive on the field and they know 95pct of time any collision on a 50:50 with a keeper they are going to get cleaned out.

Keepers are the only players using their hands, cover the least distance, and require the least amount of athleticism....how anyone could conclude it's the most difficult position is beyond me. How many times do we see a tall fwd converted to keeper at 14 or 15 amd they become a standout leapfrogging the keepers who've stood in goal since ulittles? Most young teams you can take any great athlete field player, put them in goal, and they may not give you much on punts and goalkicks, but they'll be as good or better shot stoppers than majority of full time keepers.  

Keepers are usually the only players still capable of playing at the highest levels well into their late 30s and 40s....it's a specialist set of skills, and while the pool of people wanting to do it is much smaller, that doesn't make it the most difficult. I'd argue it's the easiest position from a physical perspective.

Keepers are protected enough already. Most all refs give benefit of doubt to keepers in the box. The laws of the game require very little for a keeper to establish posession. They're not at any disadvantage IMO other than their relative lack of athleticism...they're the only ones using hands and usually have more pads and gloves than anyone. The keepers who truly are as good athletes as field players already have a huge advantage in the box, and that's why they can command control. But argueing that keepers should be allowed to mug opponents without playing the ball because it's the fwds job to get out of the way is ridiculous.

Back to top Go down

Post by orbitzone2000 29/07/14, 08:48 am

4-3-3 wrote:

This is nonsense on so many levels. First you haven't read the LOTG . The keeper doesnt have anymore right to the ball than anyone else in the field. The reason most fwds get out of the way is because keepers at the top level are typically among the biggest and most aggressive on the field and they know 95pct of time any collision on a 50:50 with a keeper they are going to get cleaned out.

Keepers are the only players using their hands, cover the least distance, and require the least amount of athleticism....how anyone could conclude it's the most difficult position is beyond me. How many times do we see a tall fwd converted to keeper at 14 or 15 amd they become a standout leapfrogging the keepers who've stood in goal since ulittles? Most young teams you can take any great athlete field player, put them in goal, and they may not give you much on punts and goalkicks, but they'll be as good or better shot stoppers than majority of full time keepers.  

Keepers are usually the only players still capable of playing at the highest levels well into their late 30s and 40s....it's a specialist set of skills, and while the pool of people wanting to do it is much smaller, that doesn't make it the most difficult. I'd argue it's the easiest position from a physical perspective.

Keepers are protected enough already. Most all refs give benefit of doubt to keepers in the box. The laws of the game require very little for a keeper to establish posession. They're not at any disadvantage IMO other than their relative lack of athleticism...they're the only ones using hands and usually have more pads and gloves than anyone. The keepers who truly are as good athletes as field players already have a huge advantage in the box, and that's why they can command control. But argueing that keepers should be allowed to mug opponents without playing the ball because it's the fwds job to get out of the way is ridiculous.
 Rolling Eyes Nice Try.

orbitzone2000
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sDad 29/07/14, 09:07 am

Funniest call I saw was a huge breakaway where the keeper came out...got ball (and forward)...forward and keeper on the ground, and the ball is loose about 3 yards from the mouth of the goal - just sitting there. Forward springs up and tries to get to the ball, but the keeper hangs on to the forward's ankle for dear life. Forward literally drags the keeper for about 3-4 yards when the whistle is blown. Red card given to the forward for "kicking the keeper". It was an out of town tournament, and we were playing a local team, so....but still...really?
10sDad
10sDad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 29/07/14, 09:19 am

10sDad wrote:Funniest call I saw was a huge breakaway where the keeper came out...got ball (and forward)...forward and keeper on the ground, and the ball is loose about 3 yards from the mouth of the goal - just sitting there.  Forward springs up and tries to get to the ball, but the keeper hangs on to the forward's ankle for dear life.  Forward literally drags the keeper for about 3-4 yards when the whistle is blown.  Red card given to the forward for "kicking the keeper".  It was an out of town tournament, and we were playing a local team, so....but still...really?
Now thats what I call protecting the keeper and the home team LOL. Thats funny all the refs on here will say
1. Did the kick happen on a tuesday and was it cloudy or sunny
2. How far did she drag her
3. THAT WAS THE RIGHT CALL
4.The proper technique for the forward was to keep her shoelaces loose so she can get out of her shoe quickly
5. You need to talk to her coaches and have them teach the proper technique
6. That was the right call
lol Laughing 

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 29/07/14, 09:46 am

GGoat wrote:
10sDad wrote:Funniest call I saw was a huge breakaway where the keeper came out...got ball (and forward)...forward and keeper on the ground, and the ball is loose about 3 yards from the mouth of the goal - just sitting there.  Forward springs up and tries to get to the ball, but the keeper hangs on to the forward's ankle for dear life.  Forward literally drags the keeper for about 3-4 yards when the whistle is blown.  Red card given to the forward for "kicking the keeper".  It was an out of town tournament, and we were playing a local team, so....but still...really?
Now thats what I call protecting the keeper and the home team LOL. Thats funny all the refs on here will say
1. Did the kick happen on a tuesday and was it cloudy or sunny
2. How far did she drag her
3. THAT WAS THE RIGHT CALL
4.The proper technique for the forward was to keep her shoelaces loose so she can get out of her shoe quickly
5. You need to talk to her coaches and have them teach the proper technique
6. That was the right call
lol Laughing 

GGoat, see you're getting the thought process down.  Very Happy  Why not take the Referee coarse and help by getting out there and make a difference?  They'll work around your DD schedule and now you can say I'm trying to make a difference with NTX soccer.   Everyone can complain but not everyone is willing to "try" and make a difference for the kids.
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 29/07/14, 09:47 am

Again,
You mentioned that your daughter has been playing for 7 years. What age group is your daughter playing and what division? Why is this so hard to get an answer?
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by scrappy 29/07/14, 11:58 am

Its Me wrote:Again,
You mentioned that your daughter has been playing for 7 years. What age group is your daughter playing and what division?  Why is this so hard to get an answer?

if the DD started playing at age 3, so 7 years later would make her U11.  If recent game action or outcome motivated this posting, then DD must be playing in the LH QT.  I have to conclude poster has 2 options.  Sit back and enjoy DD develop as a goalie or find another sport that doesn't involve referees.

I have seen awesome youth goalies at different levels of play.  A well trained goalie against solid competition will use a variety of moves to make saves including colliding on 50/50 balls.  Some days the calls go in favor of the goalie and at other times they go against.  It's just part of the game.

scrappy
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Firebird 29/07/14, 12:44 pm

4-3-3 wrote:

Keepers are the only players using their hands, cover the least distance, and require the least amount of athleticism BS....how anyone could conclude it's the most difficult position is beyond me. How many times do we see a tall fwd converted to keeper at 14 or 15 amd they become a standout leapfrogging the keepers who've stood in goal since ulittles? Most young teams you can take any great athlete field player, put them in goal, and they may not give you much on punts and goalkicks, but they'll be as good or better shot stoppers than majority of full time keepers.  

Keepers are usually the only players still capable of playing at the highest levels well into their late 30s and 40s....it's a specialist set of skills, and while the pool of people wanting to do it is much smaller, that doesn't make it the most difficult. I'd argue it's the easiest position from a physical perspective.Once again BS!

Keepers are protected enough already. Most all refs give benefit of doubt to keepers in the box. The laws of the game require very little for a keeper to establish posession. They're not at any disadvantage IMO other than their relative lack of athleticismA lot more BS!!...they're the only ones using hands and usually have more pads and gloves than anyone. The keepers who truly are as good athletes as field players already have a huge advantage in the box, and that's why they can command control. But argueing that keepers should be allowed to mug opponents without playing the ball because it's the fwds job to get out of the way is ridiculous.

Firebird
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by #9156 29/07/14, 01:03 pm

You mentioned that your daughter has been playing for 7 years. What age group is your daughter playing and what division?  Why is this so hard to get an answer?

Click his user name, and go back to previous posts In May - He tells you exactly what team coach & age his dd plays.

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ONLYASOCCERDAD 29/07/14, 01:13 pm

WRONG! yes you are biased lol

ONLYASOCCERDAD
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ONLYASOCCERDAD 29/07/14, 01:18 pm

GGoat wrote:
WestsideSoccer wrote:
beastmaster wrote:
GGoat wrote:Ok what ever I guess I just made up the fact that she was called for a pk in a 1-1 tied game. The ref stated that she lifted her leg too high when she dove and the other poster made up the fact that the keeper was given a red card in another game this weekend and soc dad made up the fact that in the liverpool game the keeper was laid out and no card was given. I have never said that the position is not safe or she should play another position. The examples I gave happens every weekend here in north texas and a lot of it happened this weekend. The point is when a striker runs into a keeper there is usually no call made and even if the call is made it doesn't have a bearing on the game thats why they keep doing it hoping for a call or a loose ball But when the ref Calls a keeper for raising her leg too high or red carding a keeper and taking them out of a game it changes the entire game. Im sorry your dd got a bruise she should probably stay in the stands for a while. Every game every day strikers run into keepers it is part of the game but refs like you are the problem and continue to let it happen. If your not going to call it when the striker hits the keeper then dont call it when the keeper hits the stikers and change the outcome of the game.Yours and the triumphs comments that my dd not tough enough to play and all that bs just shows what kind of people you are. Yall are probably the stereotypical coaches and refs that give youth soccer a bad name. good luck and good by My question was answered thanks
If my dd lifts her leg high and trips another player I would totally expect her to be called for it. So your point is what? Sounds to me like the ref is correct. Keepers aren't immune from receiving cards.  And in the case of the LP keeper, the ref called it in favor of the keeper. No card was given,  but LP still received the ball.  

Play was stopped since both players were down, BUT..... the LP Keeper made the save and had the ball, even with the contact she held on to the ball!!!!  Made it easy for the ref to give it back to the LP keeper

Thank you west side this is the exact thing I am talking about. If the Lp keeper hadnt got to the ball first most people here think there should be a pk given and or a card given since the keeper didnt get to the ball and the player went down. But she did get to the ball first was ran over and knocked down and no call was made and the keeper got the ball back so that should be good enough right. Wrong there are little to no conscience for the forward to hit the keeper at worst they get a red card and kicked out of the game which rarely happens or they dont call anything like in this case and give the ball back to the keeper. The outcome is the same weather she collides with her or not. At best she knocks the ball loose and scores or gets a call and gets a Pk. The positive far outways the negative and thats why you see it done more often and until the refs start calling it and not thinking like many of the refs on this forum feel that the keeper needs to get tougher or they need to dive or dont dive a certain way it will continue. It is just the way the game has evolved here in North Texas I guess

the disparity you speak of, regarding the cruelty of a PK if goalie fouls, or just a simple foul being called if its against the forward; IS BY DESIGN! it in the "laws of the game" there is no there, there Smile

ONLYASOCCERDAD
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ONLYASOCCERDAD 29/07/14, 01:19 pm

scrappy wrote:

if the DD started playing at age 3, so 7 years later would make her U11.  If recent game action or outcome motivated this posting, then DD must be playing in the LH QT.  I have to conclude poster has 2 options.  Sit back and enjoy DD develop as a goalie or find another sport that doesn't involve referees.

I have seen awesome youth goalies at different levels of play.  A well trained goalie against solid competition will use a variety of moves to make saves including colliding on 50/50 balls.  Some days the calls go in favor of the goalie and at other times they go against.  It's just part of the game.

where i was raised, teams were not allowed to have a goalie until u8. so how old is OP dd?

ONLYASOCCERDAD
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29/07/14, 01:37 pm

Persuasive stuff there Firebird.  Very Happy Go look up the professional salaries by position and tell me which one is the lowest. Then explain why would the most difficult and physically challenging position be the lowest paid?

Keepers are critical to a great team...no denying that. Mentally and psychologically, I could agree keep could be the most difficult position. But physically?  No way. Not even close.

Not saying keepers are generally unathletic, but RELATIVE to field players, they are generally not on the same level. Most teams the keepers don't have the level of fitness or agility as field players, and any physical tests the team does, keepers have a hard time keeping up or are held to a lower standard. Their athleticism is more the type that translates to success in volleyball. I don't think there is any rational argument justifying keeper as the most physically challenging position in the game. Love to hear one though.

Back to top Go down

Post by scrappy 29/07/14, 01:56 pm

ONLYASOCCERDAD wrote:
scrappy wrote:

where i was raised, teams were not allowed to have a goalie until u8. so how old is OP dd?
Good point! My bet is the player is on the younger end of the spectrum 12-14 yrs.  It's only going to get more intense at the older ages.  Not just for goalies but all players on the field.

scrappy
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by orbitzone2000 29/07/14, 02:05 pm

4-3-3 wrote:Persuasive stuff there Firebird.  Very Happy Go look up the professional salaries by position and tell me which one is the lowest. Then explain why would the most difficult and physically challenging position be the lowest paid?

Keepers are critical to a great team...no denying that. Mentally and psychologically, I could agree keep could be the most difficult position. But physically?  No way. Not even close.

Not saying keepers are generally unathletic, but RELATIVE to field players, they are generally not on the same level. Most teams the keepers don't have the level of fitness or agility as field players, and any physical tests the team does, keepers have a hard time keeping up or are held to a lower standard. Their athleticism is more the type that translates to success in volleyball. I don't think there is any rational argument justifying keeper as the most physically challenging position in the game. Love to hear one though.
Ok you got me to Bite on your ignorance.

You question a keepers cardio & conditioning? That is only a problem at the academy level, most of which I'll blame on ignorant coaches. Coaches are quick to take the out of shape and most unathletic players and put them in the goal for one reason. They hurt them less their and actually might make a save or two instead of being honest with the parent and saying maybe you should choose another sport or activity.

You bring up the pros, yes go take a look at their salaries. For instance Tim Howard, he is the third highest paid player on everton's team. Does that mean he's out of shape or not as good as the two ahead of him? Howard is arguabley the best player on his team. A great GK is the most valuable PC of the team to have, problem is, there is not enough of them to go around. Who as a young child wants to throw their body into harms way over a ball or a game. Takes a very unique athlete to do this both physically and mentally.

You say it's not physical or demanding? That's laughable and that's why I don't take you seriously. Go play a game or two at keeper at the highest level in your age and then comeback and say it's not physical? You have obviously not ever played GK and really don't know why you are commenting. Heck, I would challenge you to come to one of my DD's Training sessions and try and do what she does. Good shape, bad shape or no shape at all, You won't last 10 mins.

Last edited by orbitzone2000 on 29/07/14, 02:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

orbitzone2000
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next